football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Power Players
SuperRob (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:34
Utd have some serious power through the spine of their team this year.

Re: Power Players
MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 16:55
Damn right.

I think Fellaini is incredibly underrated as well.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 00:55
They will bully the f.uck out of our pansies at old trafford ... probably at the Emirates as well.

It will be back to business as usual this season as far as Mourinho/Wenger goes.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 02:06
I still can't figure out why Wenger changed the winning formula of having a strong balanced team with both skillfull and powers players to a having a team of pretty much only small technical players that lacks both power and balance and hasn't won us any major trophy since the change.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

litmus (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 04:43
I don't care what anyone says. We should get N'zonzi. I seen him lots recently, he hardly loses the ball and is a bona fide ball winner. And he has PL experience so no bedding in period needed. At 6 foot 3 he can be our midfield destroyer. He has been putting in great performances for Sevilla, dominating midfield. Box to box.

Late bloomer just like Luca Toni. Same height like Diaby minus the glass legs. Definitely an upgrade over our current midfielders. Buy out clause 40 mil Euros. And French! So there's the Wenger factor. And apparently wants to leave Sevilla.

Based on all these factors, I think he would be the perfect acquisition. Not saying he is the best available player, but the best possible acquisition based on our current needs.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 05:37
Id take nzonzi in a heart beat

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:26
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
I still can't figure out why Wenger changed the winning formula of having a strong balanced team with both skillfull and powers players to a having a team of pretty much only small technical players that lacks both power and balance and hasn't won us any major trophy since the change.

Wenger fell in love with the Spain style at their peak and copied that model. Seemingly not noticing they too were figured out long ago and it doesn't work at the highest level anymore ... Wenger never got it to work either mind but his stubbornness means we have to continue to suffer while he persists with it.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:25
I don't think it's just that. Power players with technical ability actually cost quite a lot. Viera would be worth 100mn in the current market. When one has to choose betn the too, wenger chooses the latter. Ideally we would get someone like fernandinho but such players are already at better clubs and would never come here. Wenger either wants a fernandinho or he will just make do with what we have.

I won't blame him at this moment cause i believe we need to sell some players before we but and that's where we have our biggest pbm. Average players on stupid wages

Bergmars (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:37
Viera would be worth twice that

DB10,the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 09:38 by Bergmars.

14 August, 2017 10:00
Quote:
CazOnARola
I don't think it's just that. Power players with technical ability actually cost quite a lot.

Yes I get that but that is not the case now is it, as we now have the money, even in this ridiculous market we can still get decent power players, just look the N'zonzi example.

Also yes power players with good technical ability are rare and thus expensive but even so our team has been so unbalanced for 10+ years that just having one or two power players without any decent technical ability but with enough dermination, aggressiveness and the willingness to just focus on the defensive side of the game would've been enough to at least somewhat balance out the rest of the players who were mainly small, not strong, technical and are all about attack (even the defenders).

The lack of balance is one of the main reasons why why we won't win or even properly compete for a mjor trophy (the league and CL) with Wenger in charge, even as he changes the formation.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:11
I agree with you, but in wengers eyes nzonzi isn't an upgrade on xhaka. He would think xhaka is better at passing and shooting, distribution whereas nzonzi is ok but not on the level of xhaka.
On the other hand nzonzi is a monster defensively compared to xhaka, but wenger would favour one over the other.

I on the other am style for slightly less quality on the ball for more quality defensively.

Imho, we already have coquelin who can do that.
But ever since we signed elneny in jan, coquelin been trying to ping crosz field balls and chipped through balls, with around 10% success rate.

Wenger some have told coquelin to get his head out of his @#$%& and go back to what he was doing when he first came back from charlton.
The pbm is he is a converted DM, never wanted to be one. Not everybody will be as professional as arteta.
Coauekin had some ability on the ball and he is hell bent on showing it. A bit like song.

Wengsr has no clear roles defined for players. E. G. Ramsey /wilshere/alexis, stop @#$%& around with aying the wembley ball and just do your job. Leave that to ozil xhaka lacazette

MattySadler (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:31
Totally agree litmus.

The thing about N'Zonzi is that because he is 6ft 3+ and tough, people often assume he is a classic midfield "destroyer". N'Zonzi himself once said in an interview that before he came to England with Blackburn, he'd been used as more of a technical player, and he had to adapt to the physical side of the new role he was asked to perform, testament to how good he is. He was signed by Tony Pulis for Stoke by after three seasons with Blackburn, and true to Pulis's style, he carried on as that destroyer type. However, the following season, under new manager Mark Hughes, he was used as more of a "passing" type and had his best up to that point. His first season at Sevilla, under Unai Emery, he found himself again playing a more defensive role, but last season under Jorge Sampaoli, arguably his best ever season, he was used as more of a playmaker and starred.

This is a guy who has six years experience in England and has the sort of physical profile we need. Technically, tactically and physically astute, he can be used as a destroyer or a passer/ playmaker, essentially making him a combination of Francis Coquelin and Mohamed Elneny, and could be used with/ instead of Granit Xhaka. He is in his prime, has put in a transfer request and is available around less than £40 million. Throw in the fact that he is also French, I almost can't believe that Wenger isn't all over this deal.

Kalela (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:41
Wenger is just a major problem for this club. The sooner he leaves the better. The guy bought a promising young defensive midfielder with a good size and technical ability in Krystian Bielik but then proceeded to go head and play him as a f*cking center back. In addition to not getting good players with size and ability he will play the decent ones he has out of position half of the time. It is just a matter of time before he goes back to Giroud as his starting striker while forcing Lacazette to play as a winger.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

tigerline (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:54
Quote:
Kalela
Wenger is just a major problem for this club. The sooner he leaves the better. The guy bought a promising young defensive midfielder with a good size and technical ability in Krystian Bielik but then proceeded to go head and play him as a f*cking center back. In addition to not getting good players with size and ability he will play the decent ones he has out of position half of the time. It is just a matter of time before he goes back to Giroud as his starting striker while forcing Lacazette to play as a winger.

Prophetic post ... we are cursed with a rampant, unchecked ego who can act without accountability.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:04
Quote:
Kalela
It is just a matter of time before he goes back to Giroud as his starting striker while forcing Lacazette to play as a winger.

Yeah this is definitely going to happen and it's going to be awful.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 20:32
I only said this one month ago!

Mourinho knows you need power players in this league, UTD will walk the league, they're bigger, stronger and quicker than any team in this league.

We can't compete with them, over 1 game maybe, but over the season they're too powerful for every team in this league, never mind our bunch of softies!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 08:13
Gs, u will win with post players anywhere. Barca and madrid players have a lot of pace as well along woth great technical ability.
When one doesnt have the money and has to choose, wenger gets the balance long wrong every single time.

And kalela s post is spot on. Isread of grooming bielik, he converted him to CB cause i believe there was a shortage of CBs at that level when he came in.
Destroyed Campbell s career similarly, arshavin as well

MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 09:02
Its a very good point Kalela makes, and it happens a lot with our youth players. The problem is that whilst our youth teams always possess a lot of good attacking/ flair players, the defensive side of the game just isn't taken seriously. We always lack numbers and have players out of position, or being retrained as defenders. I remember a quote from Wenger a few years back where he said that the club wanted to "create our own defensive superstars", or something like that. B*llocks! How many defenders have come right the way through the youth academy since Ashley Cole?

I always assumed part of the reason Bielik was played at CB was because alongside Pleguezuelo, they very much mirrored the first team's Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership, but again a big part of it is also due to numbers, or lack thereof, as I believe Stefan O'Connor was our only there CB at that level at the time.

Many other players have found something similar happening. Two successful examples include right winger-turned-right back Hector Bellerin, and Alex Iwobi, who played upfront for the U21 team in 2014/15, but was turned into a central midfielder for the U21s the following season, where he broke into our first team.

Tyrell Robinson was a decent left wing prospect, but like many before him he found himself being used as a left back. Whilst he was skillful and a good crosser of the ball, he was often found out defensively (mostly due to lack of positional awareness). The rumour is that he kicked off about being played out of position, and found himself falling out of favour and going around having trials with other clubs, before eventually leaving for Bradford. A shame.

On the other side of the coin, Ben Sheaf is a player I like who has done well since changing position. We signed him from West Ham as a technically-gifted, passing central midfield-type and an expert set piece taker. Although he is tall (between 6ft - 6ft 2), I wouldn't have ever called him a physical player. He mostly played as a defensive midfielder, but occasionally played on the right of midfield or at right back. Over the past two seasons we've used him as a centre back and he has shone, earning himself a contract extension in January. I'm adamant, had he not been injured over the summer, we'd have seen him involved with the first team in preseason.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 14:13
We need to buy another "Sol Campbell" then.

After Fab-4 and Sol, Wenger did not even brought up from youth rank any worldclass CB except mediocre one like Senderos, Djourou and other forgettable CB.

15 August, 2017 14:47
Quote:
Merlion96
We need to buy another "Sol Campbell" then.

Well Virgil Van Dijk is available.

Goofle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 00:11
No chance Wenger signs anybody to take Xhaka's spot.

litmus (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 06:57
A Xhaka - Nzonzi pairing would be quite similar in style to a Petit-Vieira pairing.

Many ex Arsenal players said Xhaka is very much like Petit (not as good but similar in style), while Nzonzi if you wacthed him at Blackburn and Sevilla (not at Stoke), has similar game as Vieira in that he is good at shielding, ball winning, and likes to drive forward with the ball with power and pace and look for short passes forward.

To me, that would be a devastating pair of power and solidity but I reckon AW would worry about curtailing the careers of Ramsey and Coquelin.

Another player we could bring in is Jean Micheal Seri who has been linked previously to us. I havent watch Nice a lot, so not really seen him that much, but many have said he is a complete midfielder, the best since Yaya. Xavi says he has Barca's DNA is him and is a fan.

Goofle (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:46
Quote:
litmus
A Xhaka - Nzonzi pairing would be quite similar in style to a Petit-Vieira pairing.

It would not be a similar pairing in any way. Ramsey is far closer to Vieira than any of them.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:10
Ramsey is about as close to Veira as Moira Hindley is to mother Theresa.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:20
Quote:
litmus
Another player we could bring in is Jean Micheal Seri who has been linked previously to us. I havent watch Nice a lot, so not really seen him that much, but many have said he is a complete midfielder, the best since Yaya. Xavi says he has Barca's DNA is him and is a fan.

JMS is only 1.65m tall. He would not be suitable as a CM in the EPL.

16 August, 2017 18:49
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
litmus

Plus Seri himself said that it physically hurts him to play in cold weather due him some kind of ingrown nail problem with his toes so he doesn't move to a cold country.

Goofle (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 12:28
Quote:
BootyDaddy
Ramsey is about as close to Veira as Moira Hindley is to mother Theresa.

Mother Theresa did cause a lot more deaths than Moira Hindley so that's probably a correct analogy to make your point.

litmus (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 01:53
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
litmus

Plus Seri himself said that it physically hurts him to play in cold weather due him some kind of ingrown nail problem with his toes so he doesn't move to a cold country.

Isn't France a "cold country"? I been there, its pretty cold sometimes.
Maybe he was talking about not moving to Russia or Iceland.

18 August, 2017 06:37
Quote:
litmus
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
litmus

Isn't France a "cold country"? I been there, its pretty cold sometimes.
Maybe he was talking about not moving to Russia or Iceland.

Seri plays for OGC Nice which is in the French Riviera, on the south east coast of France where there is a Mediterranean climate. Also France is not as cold as England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net