football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Leicester
MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 20:55
Cech - 6. At fault for the first goal, but made up for it later on.

Holding - 4. Felt really bad for him.
Monreal - 6. Did a job but really not a central defender.
Kolasinac - 7. Love him. Strong, mobile, good going forward. Got an assist. Want him at LWB though.

Bellerin - 5. Better when switched to left back but poor overall.
Xhaka - 6. Struggled with the pace at times in the first half, giving the ball away for Leicester's second goal, but settled in the second. Great assist for Ramsey's goal.
Elneny - 6. Nice assist early on but he was playing as our B2B midfielder and he just doesn't offer enough in the final third.
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 6. Tried getting forward down the left but came to nothing. Better when switched to right back.

Ozil - 5. Ran his socks off but was in and out of the game.
Lacazette - 8. Man of the Match. Great header for his goal, good link-up play, particularly with Welbeck, good touches, great feet and some quality touches when he was moved onto the left.
Welbeck - 7. One of the few highlights of the first half. Scored, worked hard, linked up with Lacazette well. Little impact on the second half.

Subs:

Ramsey - 7. Instant impact. Changed the game. Gave us another much needed dimension in the final third.
Giroud - 6. Match winner (great header by the way). Gave us more of a presence upfront.
Walcott - N/A. Not on long, but shouldn't have got caught offside.

What a game to kick the season off! We started the first half well and took the lead through a fantastic Lacazette header, but our makeshift defence and unbalanced team soon cost us as we were all over the place and essentially gave two cheap goals to Leicester, but equalised on the stroke of half time when Kolasinac squared the ball for Welbeck to tap in. We didn't make a great start to the second half and went behind again when Vardy headed in from a corner. We made the right substitutions though, throwing on Ramsey and Giroud to great effect. Ramsey took his equaliser excellently before Giroud won the match with an excellent header.

Long term though, a lot to be concerned about really. We were all over the place for most of the match and won't be able to ride our luck like that every week, that's for certain. Wenger got away with one here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 18:51 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Leicester
MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:00
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG-fR8LVYAAD3MM.jpg

He goes nowhere.

Flava (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:03
Cech got really lucky in the second half when he came out. I thought he was really poor.

Xhaka was culpable for goals 2 and 3. Great assist for our 3rd.

How Özil stayed on for the 90 is beyond me.

What a f.ucking header by Giroud though.

Lacazette was really good. We have a player

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:06
Quote:
Flava
Cech got really lucky in the second half when he came out. I thought he was really poor.
Xhaka was culpable for goals 2 and 3. Great assist for our 3rd.

How Özil stayed on for the 90 is beyond me.

What a f.ucking header by Giroud though.

Lacazette was really good. We have a player

Yeah Ozil wasn't great.

My heart was in my mouth when Cech came out, but had he not, no one in our defence was going to catch Vardy for sh*t. Turned out to be the right thing to do in the end.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:07
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG-k_mOXYAIop5N.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:15
Welbeck MOTM by a mile, work rate, never say die attitude, pace and strength. His pass to Bellerin was top quality if Ozil done that some fans would be talking about it for the next 6 months!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:26
(Sm6) Steve Bould trending on Twitter as people question what he actually does. What exactly is Steve Bould supposed to do with the mess Wenger makes?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:32
Xhaka's vs. Leicester:

96 passes
6 crosses
5 chances created
4 shots
2 assists

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:39
Quote:
MattySadler
Xhaka's vs. Leicester:
96 passes
6 crosses
5 chances created
4 shots
2 assists

Matty,
Still don't like the guy.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:40
I love him. Thought he was dogsh*t in the first half though.

Flava (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 21:41
I love Xhaka. Defensive side of his game was awful today though

sinpa01 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:07
Ozil is Shite lets pay him 220,000.00 a week!

We are mugs if we do that!

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:14
Ozil was quality 2nd half, watch the game again and you'll agree. He was dictating the game, on and off the ball.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 23:09
Holding is suffering from 2nd season syndrome and just Championship material.

Losing the ball on 2 or 3 occasions when trying to dribble out of defence like Messi is a no-no. Meaning he got a poor football brain and lack spatial awareness of when to pass and when to bring the ball out.

3 headers by Leicester City?
Meaning, our Midget Back-4 will always leak goals unless we have an authoritative and domineering CB to command and marshal the defence, plus organizing and reaming any midfielders who didn't track back and watch his man.

Same old ... same old ... with deep-running opponents not picked up by Arsenal midifelders and jumping higher and out-muscling Monreal in the centre of defence.

1st Goal:
TWO Leicester players were running free at left-side without LWB and left-side forward guarding that left quadrant. And Ozazaki out-jumping and out-muscling entire Arsenal defence.

2nd Goal:
Again, a deep-running Vardy simply bowled over Monreal to head home.

3rd Goal:
Beautiful in-swinger that caught out Monreal and Sead and with vardy having a free header.

More works on the training pitch to meld both midfield and defence into a compact defensive unit with better understanding.

Koscielny, Mustafi, mertesacker and even Chambers are in with a shout to take over from Monreal and Holding.
We need experience, muscle and an authoritative figure like Mertesacker to organize the defence.

We surely can score goals ... but can we keep more clean-sheets than last season?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 06:21
Defending has been an issue with this formation for a while now. In both of the Emirates Cup games we looked like conceding every single time a long ball was played forward or a ball was played in behind, and that continued in the charity shield and in the game last night. This "3 at the back" thing is supposed to be a more defensive formation and give us a more solid platform to build from at the back, but in typical Wenger fashion, it has made an-already attacking side even more attacking. Our left and right-sided centre backs are often bringing the ball forward from the back or, rather bizarrely, over/under lapping our wing backs. I noticed it a few times in pre-season games, and it was most clear last night when Kolasinac ventured forward to claim an assist for Welbeck's equaliser. If I wasn't sure that it was probably going to cost us over the course of the season, I'd probably laugh.

That being said, I'm hoping we'll look a lot less disorganised and "thrown together" when we're able to play a Mustafi-Mertesacker-Koscielny back three with Kolasinac at LWB.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 06:37
Merl, I think you're being a little premature with Holding at this stage. Holding's strength last season was his confidence and composure in possession, so far that he has been sloppy in that respect, which suggests to me a lack of match sharpness. He had 45 minutes in the Emirates Cup where he was rusty, then he had a full 90 in the Charity Shield and then he was thrown into a very high tempo game last night against a quick Leicester side. If he is still struggling a few weeks down the line then we have a bigger problem, but I'm not worrying too much at the moment.

I hope Wenger noticed how much better we looked when Bellerin and Oxlade-Chamberlain switched sides...

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 06:41
99 Arsenal goals in 229 games for Giroud now.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:35
About to join the prestigious group called Centurions, although some did it in nearly half the games. But it was a great goal, and I am glad he stayed

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:40
Giroud - super sub

De Times (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:29
Quote:
MattySadler

I hope Wenger noticed how much better we looked when Bellerin and Oxlade-Chamberlain switched sides...

Did Bellerin and Chamberlain switch sides on their own?

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:50
No but they still started the game on the wrong sides, despite ample evidence that it doesn't work.

De Times (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:32
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
MattySadler
Xhaka's vs. Leicester:
96 passes
6 crosses
5 chances created
4 shots
2 assists

Matty,
That would mean something if you knew anything about football, but seeing as you know nothing, who cares what you like or not? Xhaka is the best central midfielder in the league, one of the best in the world.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

12 August, 2017 10:08
Quote:
De Times
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
MattySadler
Xhaka's vs. Leicester:
96 passes
6 crosses
5 chances created
4 shots
2 assists

Matty,
That would mean something if you knew anything about football, but seeing as you know nothing, who cares what you like or not? Xhaka is the best central midfielder in the league, one of the best in the world.

One of the best in the world ? (Sm22)(Sm22)

I could never hope to emulate that Sanogo was better than Lacazette. (Sm151)

djarse (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:28
So Matty, if everyone was fit, what would be your best starting eleven ?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:48
Quote:
djarse

Cech, Mustafi

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:58
Quote:
djarse

Cech, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Xhaka, Ramsey, Kolasinac, Ozil, Alexis, Lacazette.

Subs: Ospina, Bellerin, Monreal, Coquelin/ Wilshere, Walcott, Welbeck, Giroud.

Think that leaves Holding, Gabriel, Coquelin/ Wilshere, Elneny and Iwobi in reserve.

Would be looking to sign van Dijk and N'Zonzi before the end of this window though.

You?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG68QfvW0AAY2fo.jpg

djarse (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 11:06
Pretty much agree with you actually

I do like Iwobi though and would be loathe to see him squeezed out. And what of Cazorla - are you assuming his career is over ? I would have him in there instead of Coquelin/Wilshere if he ever gets fit again.I don't know much about this Seri guy other than that he is only my height (short!) but he could be the Cazorla replacement perhaps ?

And yes to van Dijk or someone similar to replace Mertesacker.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 11:27
Quote:
djarse
Pretty much agree with you actually
I do like Iwobi though and would be loathe to see him squeezed out. And what of Cazorla - are you assuming his career is over ? I would have him in there instead of Coquelin/Wilshere if he ever gets fit again.I don't know much about this Seri guy other than that he is only my height (short!) but he could be the Cazorla replacement perhaps ?

And yes to van Dijk or someone similar to replace Mertesacker.

Iwobi was our best player in preseason and could well be our best Ozil alternative. He wouldn't get squeezed out.

I'm assuming Cazorla is done because of all of the reports saying as much. Even if he manages to come back he'll be in his 30s and basically another Rosicky. We have youngsters like Iwobi, Reine-Adelaide and Nelson to consider as well.

Yes a lot are suggesting Seri but I've never seen him play, only YouTube highlights. I know N'Zonzi well and have been an admirer for years. He's gone up another level over the last few years. He can play as a classic "destroyer" as well, although he is better as a playmaker. His height would be an asset as well. As we saw last night we lacked height.

Southampton are willing to play ball with anyone who isn't Liverpool and van Dijk has been one of the best in the league over the last two seasons. Makes sense to me to have a go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG68QfvW0AAY2fo.jpg

djarse (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 11:31
(Sm152)

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 16:55
Cazorla at 50% is better than Ramsey and Xhaka, neither of them can lace his boots!

If Cazorla is fit he starts, everyone who understands the game knows that!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:55
Cazorla cant defend. We are no longer playing 3 in the midfield. We are very open with only 2 players in the center. Xhaka and coquelin is my preferred option with ramsey on the bench. Ideally it wild be ramsey coquelin but ramsey won't stay thst deep.
I'll play wilshere in place of xhaka of he is fit and willing to sit now, but that already tried and failed.

So its xhaka/new Dm and ramsey for all pl games.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 07:23
Meanwhile, in the real world, we play Stoke on Saturday. I'll be at V Festival so I'll be leaving you in the capable hands of Boston Gooner!

13 August, 2017 08:50
Quote:
MattySadler
Meanwhile, in the real world, we play Stoke on Saturday. I'll be at V Festival so I'll be leaving you in the capable hands of Boston Gooner!

Enjoy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net