football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Chelsea make bid for Ox
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 08:38
According to the Mail Chelsea have bid £25 million for the Ox

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Re: Chelsea make bid for Ox
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 09:06
£35 million and Liverpool can have him.

sinpa01 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 01:01
Does not matter no one wants to play for wenger!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 05:41
Apparently he has had a face-to-face conversation with Wenger and told him he wants out.

I don't blame him at all but I also feel he isn't good enough to hold us to ransom. £35m and he can go.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 06:10
Last one out turn the lights off we will end up with the dross

A shadow of what we were

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 08:16
Dont blame him at all, no one wants to play for a loser.

I'm sure Wenger will have a million excuses for our contracts predicament, or blame everyone else, or as a "look into my eyes" last ditch effort claim having top players with only a year left on their contracts to be the 'ideal' situation.

But the reality is this doesn't happen at other clubs or under actual 'top' managers. It is total negligent mismanagement from an arrogant negligent manager who lost touch with the modern game (and reality for that matter) a long time ago.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 09:40
Quote:
MattySadler
Apparently he has had a face-to-face conversation with Wenger and told him he wants out.
I don't blame him at all but I also feel he isn't good enough to hold us to ransom. £35m and he can go.

Apparently told him that the club is going nowhere.

We could have told him that seasons ago.

Seriously though I think bringing top class players with ambition to the club is going to get harder.
Players are getting wise to Arsenal/Wenger.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 15:16
Heard that OX turned down that new offer of £125,000 pw.

Can't blame him.
He is smarter that Poodlebrain and knew that he will end up as another Theo Walcott who can dribble.

He knew and needed a new manager like Conte of Klopp who can develop him to another level.

It will be daft to retain a player whose heart is no longer with Arsenal FC.

Arsene Wenger should standby what he said to Jose Reyes:
"My office door is always open. I will not retain any player who does not wish to play for Arsenal FC".

And he should standby to what he did to Vieira offering him a choice to stay or leave, never making Vieira felt wanted.
Miffed, Vieira left for Juventus.

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For their tomorrow, we gave our today.
John Maxwell Edmonds

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 20:10
This could be the season the club implodes it's been coming

A shadow of what we were

Shane (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 01:17
Quote:
Bergmars
Last one out turn the lights off we will end up with the dross

Oxlade-Chamberlain is the dross mate. What other word describes a bloke who has played 131 Premier League games for us and scored nine - yes NINE - goals? Wenger isn't the bad guy here. In fact, if we get £35 million for him then give Wenger his statue now because that's an astoundingly good deal for us.

If you blame Wenger anything it has to be for giving the chap countless opportunities to fulfill his potential and Oxlade-Chamberlain more or less spits in his face every single time.

When I think of Oxlade-Chamberlain, I think of banter, secret handshakes with team-mates, coining the 'Dat guy Welbz' phrase, dabbing and horrendous haircuts, the latest of which looks like a bowl of p*ssed-on quinoa.

The reason I, and I'm guessing many others, don't tend to associate him with anything regarding football is because he has done absolutely nothing in football. I can think of two things: a goal in the Charity Shield against Chelsea, and a solo run away to Bayern Munich in the Champions League. Honest to god that's all I can think of.

Could anyone do a 'Five Classic Oxlade-Chamberlain Moments'? And yet he's been here for six years, so he doesn't even average one classic moment per season. And he's telling Arsenal that he wants to leave? What a little shitbag this bloke is, the most overrated footballer since Balotelli and I mean that sincerely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2017 01:19 by Shane.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 02:37
Our formation is more @#$%& than the ox. We don't have natural wingbacks. In this formation you need a lot more attacking ability in the final third from your wb. He's currently the best of the lot inspite of being average.
Bellerin has done @#$%& all in the attack. And i dont blame him. He has good place but can't really play menacing balls or shoot or dribble.

Thsts the reason wenger is keen. Monreal, bellerin and even kolasinac are not going to be a threat with 5 at the back.

The sooner we ditch the formation, the better

Shane (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 09:19
We've offered him £125,000 per week. I can't be the only one who finds that absolutely astonishing.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 11:29
Quote:
Shane
We've offered him £125,000 per week. I can't be the only one who finds that absolutely astonishing.
Sell him, Walcott and Gibbs and buy a quality attacking midfielder

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 13:25
Quote:
Shane

He might be dross at Arsenal but what happens he becomes a star at Chelsea? Who are you gonna blame then?? Why do you think Conte wants a dross, you trust Conte or Wenger for choosing right players, mate? (Sm100)

hahanice (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 15:35
his goal scoring return isnt great, but lets not forget many of his appearances are as a sub, or as a right back, right midfielder, or b2b central midfielder. he has also spent a lot of time hurt. but this is not a player who plays high up on the wing like theo, and tries to get in behind. this is a player who runs at defenders and and tries to serve the forwards.

196 appearances and 20 goals. thats a goal every 10 games. not great.... but thats like being mad at coquelin for not scoring more. thats not his job. if all we cared about was goals per game, call Poldi back up.

the Ox is one of 3 players who has the ability to run at a defender. I am including alexis as one of the 3, but thats not really his MO either. hes trying to cut inside and create a shot, not trying to get past a man to see what opportunities present themselves

Shane (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 17:40
Quote:
SandyB
He might be dross at Arsenal but what happens he becomes a star at Chelsea? Who are you gonna blame then?? Why do you think Conte wants a dross, you trust Conte or Wenger for choosing right players, mate? (Sm100)

Conte also wants Danny Drinkwater mate, so by your logic Drinkwater must be class based the fact that, like Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's been linked to the champions. Do you rate Drinkwater then?

You don't even rate Harry Kane mate, based on his nationality, so lord knows what you must think of Drinkwater.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 18:56
Ox ain't great but my goodness he's miles ahead of some we look like keeping.

A shadow of what we were

celine dion (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 19:53
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SandyB

Conte also wants Danny Drinkwater mate, so by your logic Drinkwater must be class based the fact that, like Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's been linked to the champions. Do you rate Drinkwater then?

You don't even rate Harry Kane mate, based on his nationality, so lord knows what you must think of Drinkwater.

Danny Drinkwater is obviously a class player given that Leicester City won the football league 2 years ago with him ever present in their central midfield.

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 19:53
Quote:
Shane
Quote:
SandyB

I don't rate Harry Kane not coz of his fuc.king nationality but the sh.it club he plays for.. that's how I used to wind up few of my spuds mate in real life but now a days I pretend to them I'm more interested in Chicago Bears than 'soccer'.. (Sm6)

Some DeTimes style winding up of Spuds mate...Read from bottom...(Sm22)

Quote:
Olympics for football? That’s just an embarrassing sport!

Individual accolades are extremely important for individuals. It means you are doing a good job and builds confidence and sets a target for you to beat. That’s part of why Spurs keep improving because the players want to improve on their past individual accomplishments.

If like the Arsenal players, your standards are so low than your target is to beat 12 goals from last season, eventually your teams drops out of the top 4 and you start playing Europa football instead. Then your best players start leaving and before you know it you will be a mid-table team. That’s why individual accolades are important!

Where is Sanchez going again? Man City I heard!

hahahahahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:55 PM
To: Spuds Buddy
Subject: Re: Arsenal the only team in the top 6 not playing CL next year!

Football isn’t a game for collecting individual accolade. Those golden boot means absolutely nothing if the team didn’t win anything! It’s simple. Arsenal players win trophies… FACT. Messi won ballon d’or or golden boot which shines when Barcelona wins the title, CL otherwise means nothing. Henry won those stuff when Arsenal won trophies.
If Harry Kane wants to prove he’s a big player then either he has to leave Spurs go somewhere win trophies or gotta go to Olympics and compete in some individual sports to win a medal.
Bhahahahaahahaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM
To: Me
Subject: RE: Arsenal the only team in the top 6 not playing CL next year!

Two golden boots in a row is fact!

Where are the Arsenal players? Did you know that more goals equals more wins and in turn CL places!

Hahahahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:08 PM

None of these you said below are fact… just hope, dream of Spurs fans. As the saying goes…
Bhaahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM

Haha – well it is because Kane is starting to eclipse Henry! Henry only once scored more PL goals than Kane did this season. Wont be long before Kane has left Henry in the dust as far as goals are scored. Soon he will be winning trophies too!

2 golden boots is not nothing, but im not sure its fair to compare players who won the world cup. Just because Messi hasn’t won the world cup, doesn’t mean hes a rubbish player.

I would say Spurs moment is quite long lived so far. 3 seasons not losing to Arsenal, now starting to finish above them. Its looking good for the long term!

Hahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:59 PM

Ow..ow..ow..ow..wait. Thierry Henry’s name can’t be uttered in same sentence with a nothing player!Bhahahahaahaha
Thierry Henry won a world cup, a CL, 2 PL god knows how many FA cups n a lot of other stuff!
In football 23 is lot older! Not ONLY 23.. in short you are reinstating the fact.. Harry Kane won NOTHING!
Only thing I’d agree with you that yes we are not doing well now.. but mind the difference in standard, our worst season might come with a trophy! As the saying goes, Spurs fans should enjoy the moment, the moment is short lived!
Bhahahhahahahhaahhaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM

Kane is only 23. At the start of his career and plenty of time to win things! Hes already won 2 golden boots in a row. Last person to do that was some nothing player called Thierry Henry!

Sanchez, the alien and OliG are at the end of their careers so of course they are more likely to have won stuff.

Only time will tell, but whats important is now! Best team in North London, most goals in the Prem, least goals conceded in the prem, golden boot winners. Next step is PL title and who knows how many more trophies.

Hahahahahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:48 PM

So essentially Harry Kane has won a big big big ZERO trophy so far! Didn’t score much outside EPL! Essentially a nothing player so far infront of say Alexis Sanchez or Mesut Ozil or even OliG!!
As I said enjoy the moment, the joy isn’t gonna last long “The best club of north London”… Bhahhahahahahahahahaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Harry Kane is the top scoring striker in the PL two seasons running and hes only 23! Hes scored 5 goals for England and 2 in CL, but injuries have meant hes missed lots of CL and England games this season. Arsenal don’t even have a striker that comes close.

I cant believe you question Spurs and Kane when Arsenal haven’t beaten Spurs in a PL game for 3 seasons now.

Arsenal on the other hand are on the fall. Getting worse every season, cant beat Spurs anymore, cant qualify for CL, Spurs are the best north London club now!

Hahahahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:26 PM

Harry Kane is mickeymouse giant. How many goals he scored in CL, how many goals he scored for England? Come again! Bhhaahahahahahahaaha
Can you prove Spurs isn’t Europa league team? Where did Spurs end up playing even this season? These are fact, Lord Seb.. fact can’t be denied.
Bhaahhahahahahaaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Haha – well you keep telling me all these things Adrian, but they never turn out to be true.

You said Kane was a one season wonder, yet he has won the golden boot two seasons running and scored 75 goals in his past 3 seasons.

You talk about Spurs being a Europa league team, but if you look at the stats over the past 3 seasons EVERYTHING is improving:

Spurs
Position
won
Goals scored
goals against
Goal difference
2016/17
2015/16
2014/15

I could show you Arsenal’s current trend but it doesn’t look good!

Hahahahah

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:33 PM

Calling Tottenham regular in CL is lie, you know that right? Tottenham is perpetual Europa cup team playing in Europa season after season even till this season…. By the way, you don’t get those 50m till you play in knockout stage, so yes Tottenham doesn’t get that money!
Arsenal is richest football club on planet n checkout Arsenal’s yearly turnover 5th highest in the world after Madrid, Barca, ManU, Bayern, Chelsea so Tottenham doesn’t come anywhere near even with CL money. As the saying goes, enjoy the moment as it’s not gonna stay long… just like Leicester next season again Tottenham will be back to middle of the earth except unlike Leicester winning nothing!
Bhahhahaahahahaa

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Well we are a well run club with significantly lower running costs and we didn’t have new stadium to repay so it didn’t matter so much to us!

Now we still have lower running costs, regulars in the CL and new stadium is on the way paid for by the tv money! Happy days!

How are Arsenal going to be pay Sanchez and the aliens wages? I guess you will have to dip into those cash reserves for your 50mill. In 4 season the cash will be gone!

Hahahahahahah

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:13 PM

So now calculate how much you missed out in past 20 years?
50*20=Bhaahahhahahahahahaha

Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:13 AM

I do, but it doesn’t really matter unless you win the CL. Firstly you need to qualify so you get the 50mill and then unless you win it, it doesn’t really matter.

Sadly, the Europa is the only European comp you guys will be playing in this season!

hahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:11 PM

Really? I remember Tottenham playing in Europa this season too, didn't you??
Bhhhhhhhaaaaaaa
Sent from my iPhone

On May 25, 2017, at 7:08 AM, Spuds Buddy wrote:

Yeah, we did! We are regulars these days!

Arsenal were regulars, but times are changing….

hahahahaha

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:29 PM

Did Tottenham played CL last season?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 25, 2017, at 5:18 AM, Spuds Buddy wrote:

Hahahahahahah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2017 20:27 by SandyB.

Shane (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 22:59
Quote:
celine dion
Danny Drinkwater is obviously a class player given that Leicester City won the football league 2 years ago with him ever present in their central midfield.

Fair point but the overall point is that it's silly to suggest Arsenal fans aren't allowed to think Oxlade-Chamberlain is a waste of space based on the fact a better team wants to sign him, which is what Sandy is saying.

Quote:
SandyB
Haha – well you keep telling me all these things Adrian, but they never turn out to be true.
You said Kane was a one season wonder, yet he has won the golden boot two seasons running and scored 75 goals in his past 3 seasons.

You talk about Spurs being a Europa league team, but if you look at the stats over the past 3 seasons EVERYTHING is improving:

Spurs
Position
won
Goals scored
goals against
Goal difference
2016/17
2015/16
2014/15

I could show you Arsenal’s current trend but it doesn’t look good!

Hahahahah

At least Tottenham have their equivalent of Merlion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2017 23:00 by Shane.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 10:02
Quote:
Shane

According to Matt Law at the telegraph, we've offered him £180,000 per week.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Shane (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 13:31
That's £1 per misplaced pass over the past six years.

hahanice (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 13:36
Quote:
Shane
That's £1 per misplaced pass over the past six years.

We get it. You don't like him

Shane (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:08
Joel Campbell is genuinely a better player.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:24
Not too sure.

Campbell to OX is akin to Poldolski to Gervinho.

When you go home, tell them of us and say
For their tomorrow, we gave our today.
John Maxwell Edmonds

Bergmars (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 15:02
I don't think Joel has been given the same changed as some

A shadow of what we were

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 15:05
Does Campbell speaks French?

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 16:13
Oh man..£25 million for the Ox would be great if he wasn't english..the fact you need englishmen on your books means this overrated player is worth just a little bit more in the premier league

Ox, walcott, wilshire, welbeck, gibbs, holding etc would be EASILY replaceable if you didn't need englishmen in the team.

That said SELL HIM and replace him with one of the youngsters..Arsenal will get the exact same amount of productivity that the Ox offered

hahanice (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 17:57
campbell couldnt even get game time on his last 2 loans. i was rooting for him but lets be serious

Bergmars (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 20:06
There's a reason he's still here I guess

A shadow of what we were

Shane (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 21:28
Listen, Oxlade-Chamberlain is clearly a fine talent, but he doesn't want it enough in football. He never has and the sad truth is that he never, ever will.

My perception of the bloke - which could be completely false - is that he's probably a bit of a posh tw*t who has never really had to earn much in his life, so where does the motivation come from?

He joined Southampton as a child and they helped fund his education at a school which plays rugby and cricket, where he mixed with a bunch of blazer-wearing posh shitbags whose parents were forking out £11,000 every year on their schooling - and £25,000 a year if they were boarders. Yes I Googled it.

Do you think keeping such company is good or bad when it comes to having to work hard for something? Who knows.

Football is obviously something which came easy for him so he rose through the ranks at Southampton and we bought him based on what he could become. Problem is, talent only gets you so far in any hobby or profession and what we've seen over the last six years is a bloke who lacks the will and the spirit to reach the next level, probably because he's been told that he's better than everybody else his whole life and thus didn't have to work as hard.

He genuinely hasn't progressed at all, has he? At 24, he's the same player he was three years ago. He's only a year younger than Sanchez when he joined in 2014.

I think background is such a big thing with footballers. It's probably which separates the Oxlade-Chamberlains from the Wayne Rooneys of this world. The easier you have it growing up, the tougher it is to reach the next level in anything because there's a natural inclination to take luxuries for granted. That's precisely what we've seen from him at Arsenal for six whole years and it's a bang-on certaintee we'll see the same from him at Chelsea eventually. Completely inevitable in my eyes.

Ares (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 22:26
Bonus Points for

Quote:
Shane
bang-on certaintee

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 01:20
Wenger is probably thinking that OX leaving will be a good thing as it will open up a space for Reiss Nelson, who to be fair looks very promising, but we have seen this before too.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 04:36
We will destroy reis of he play him in epl now and anywhere near the defenses. He is potential top wristlet forward. He cab reach the level of willian if he keeps working hard. I would crushed if i saw him playing as a WB

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 13:51
Quote:
CazOnARola
We will destroy reis of he play him in epl now and anywhere near the defenses. He is potential top wristlet forward. He cab reach the level of willian if he keeps working hard. I would crushed if i saw him playing as a WB

Wenger will play Nelson at WB and say it is to improve his overall attributes, like he does when he plays other players out of positions, but we know it ends up hurting the players and the team in the long run.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2017 13:51 by Optimistic Gunner.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 14:02
Quote:
Optimistic Gunner
Wenger is probably thinking that OX leaving will be a good thing as it will open up a space for Reiss Nelson, who to be fair looks very promising, but we have seen this before too.

Maitland-Niles or Joe Willock is the natural replacement for OX and understudy Bellerin.
And not forgetting Bellerin is No. 1 RWB, will be around for a long time until Barca submits a serious bid.

Bellerin was moved to LWB to woo OX to sign on .. like playing Walcott as lone striker till he signed the extension.

Reiss nelson is the natural replacement for Walcott.
AN injury-prone Walcott will always has one long injury layoff ... and Reiss should seize this opportunity to replace Walcott.

But you know how pre-season form is like.
It seldom translate into regular season form with youngsters tend to taper off after 1 or 2 impressive performances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net