football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Chelsea
MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:16
Cech - 7. Two iffy moments but prevented a sure goal in the first half. Couldn't do anything about the goal.

Holding - 5. Still rusty without a proper preseason. Lost Moses for the goal. Will get better.
Mertesacker - 6. Was playing well till his injury.
Monreal - 7. Read the danger well, at LCB and CB.

Bellerin - 6. Okay but needs to offer more going forward, especially if he is pushing Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left.
Xhaka - 7. Grew into the game. Nearly scored a screamer.
Elneny - 7. Good first half. Unreal engine. Okay second half but would like to see more going forward. Shooting was sh*t.
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 5. Not his fault.

Iwobi - 8. Creative, lively and carried the ball well, just needs to nail that end product.
Lacazette - 7. First time I've been impressed by him so far. Took good touches and was unlucky not to score.
Welbeck - 7. Quality first half, unreal work rate. Not as effective in the second half.

Subs:

Kolasinac - 7. Impressed me. Absolute unit and he got our equaliser.
Giroud - 5. Didn't get into the game.
Walcott - 6. Lively.
Nelson - N/A. Not on long.

I expected us to get battered to be honest, especially after seeing the starting lineup, but we just about edged the first half. In true Arsenal fashion, however, we conceded right at the start of the second half with us all still half-asleep, but we battled back and equalised after Chelsea were reduced to 10 men. With the score 1-1 at full time, ABBA-style penalties loomed, but Walcott, Monreal, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Giroud took four class penalties, while Courtois and Morata missed for Chelsea, giving us a 4-1 shootout victory.

Main thought from me is about Oxlade-Chamberlain at left wing back. His game is largely based on his right footed dribbling, but on the left he kept having to cut back inside. It was infuriating and rendered him pretty ineffective.

Also saw encouraging signs from Lacazette and Kolasinac today. Lacazette and Welbeck's linking up is promising as well. Don't really rate Elneny but thought he did well playing box-to-box. Iwobi was quality, so underrated. I'd be livid if we sold Giroud.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 14:23 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Chelsea
MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:19
Also also, we're f*cked if Xhaka gets injured.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:22
106 touches.
1 shot.
90% pass accuracy (81/90).
4 key passes.
1 interception.
3 clearances.

Granit Xhaka.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 16:31 by MattySadler.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 16:24
Xhaka MOTM by a distance.

Welbeck and Monreal were also very good.

tigerline (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:04
Quote:
MattySadler
106 touches.
1 shot.
4 key passes.
1 interception.
3 clearances.

Granit Xhaka.

And a fairly meaningful assist.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 17:53
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
MattySadler
106 touches.
1 shot.
4 key passes.
1 interception.
3 clearances.

Granit Xhaka.

And a fairly meaningful assist.

Yeah that was a lovely ball.

De Times (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 18:32
Everybody got a 10, one match one trophy.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:16
Most imp thing that i dunno if everyone missed. Yes we played well. Yes xhaka passed fantastic. Elneny did well.

Just check the total tackles attempted by xhaka and Elneny. I haven't checked the stats, but i dont them even trying to win the ball back, forget succeeding.
Mostly kindly they will have 0 interceptions and maybe 1 or 2 successful tackles between.
Which meant we anyways had to build from the back , we never won many balls higher than our 6 yard box. And this will continue if they play together.
Our back 3 were so good that they snuffed it out.
Monreal was my motm because of what he had to deal with at CB.

We will be @#$%& in real games if we expect only our defense and occasionally welbeck and iwobi to win the ball back.
If xhaka plays, coquelin has to play

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2017 19:17 by CazOnARola.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:18
I do wish xhaka or Elneny could defend properly

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:29
Wenger needs to sign Seri and Goretzka, forget Lemar, Iwobi can bring what he does.

We need 2 CM's.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 19:30
Xhaka made 0 tackle, Elneny made 1. They made 3 interceptions between them. Xhaka made 3 clearances.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 21:30
If we are relying on xhaka & Elneny god help us.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Shane (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 22:54
Welbeck looked alright but I'd rip Everton's hand off for £30 million. More money than sense, if true.

Haven't been so excited about a Sead since Flava said he was coming over. I like him, and Kolasinac.

Also thought Lacazette was decent.

djarse (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 23:36
Good performance with our 3 best players out - Koscielny,Ozil & Sanchez - not to mention Ramsey. Showed we can compete with the best. I have a feeling Kolasinac is going to be a big player for us.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 23:41
Kolasinac is certainly a big lad.
Could well be a bit of a cult figure to the fans.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 03:48
Kolisinac is a good sigining. If ozil and sanchez are playing, then we cant fit in iwobi who imho is our most creative player. Ozil is a lot more practical and still looks to keep possesion, but iwobi is still going and constantly looks forward and finds source between the lines.
Like i had said earlier, lacazette will play well if has players who to pass quick and accurately in tight spaces. So ozil ramsey and iwobi are ideal. But they won't happen. I hope he subs sanchez is he is hogging the ball like a black hole and brings in iwobi

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 14:07
Quote:
De Times
Everybody got a 10, one match one trophy.

It is actually our third trophies following our victories in the equally prestigious Audi Football Summit and the Emirates Cup...

Three trophies before a competitive ball has even been kicked... Wenger rocks!!!

hahanice (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 16:32
Quote:
CazOnARola
Kolisinac is a good sigining. If ozil and sanchez are playing, then we cant fit in iwobi who imho is our most creative player. Ozil is a lot more practical and still looks to keep possesion, but iwobi is still going and constantly looks forward and finds source between the lines.
Like i had said earlier, lacazette will play well if has players who to pass quick and accurately in tight spaces. So ozil ramsey and iwobi are ideal. But they won't happen. I hope he subs sanchez is he is hogging the ball like a black hole and brings in iwobi

I still think Ozil is useless. lost to sevilla with him, beat chelsea without him. I would say sell him but it doesn't look like anyone wants him.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 17:19
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Wenger needs to sign Seri and Goretzka, forget Lemar, Iwobi can bring what he does.
We need 2 CM's.

Lemar can't do what Iwobi does

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 20:10
Iwobi needs to improve his shooting and composure during critical moments when his pass can lead to an assist. Haven't seen enough of lemar to comment

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 22:17
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
We need 2 CM's.

Lemar can't do what Iwobi does

I meant from CM which is where most Arsenal fans think he'll end if he joins.

I see Iwobi ending up in CM, he's got the frame and close control to play there.

Lemar I don't rate at all, would be a pointless signing.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 22:20
Quote:
Shane
Welbeck looked alright but I'd rip Everton's hand off for £30 million. More money than sense, if true.
Haven't been so excited about a Sead since Flava said he was coming over. I like him, and Kolasinac.

Also thought Lacazette was decent.

You've always hated Welbeck. He's one of the best team players in the world, we should never sell him.

There's a reason Mourinho said he'd never have sold him.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 00:32
Id keep both giroud and welbeck. World Cup great our not. The club comes first, not someone's chance of making / not making it to a world Cup squad.
Sell theo, lucas, akpom, gibbs, etc first

MattySadler (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 15:38
Yeah Shane, imagine letting your well established bias cloud your judgement.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 20:51
Says the Ramsey fanboy who can't give Ramsey a lower marker than 6, even when he's shite, which is most of the time, now sit down boy!

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 00:44
Quote:
CazOnARola
Id keep both giroud and welbeck. World Cup great our not. The club comes first, not someone's chance of making / not making it to a world Cup squad.
Sell theo, lucas, akpom, gibbs, etc first

Wenger will not sell Walcott. He values loyalty and a player who represents Arsenal very well on and off the pitch despite being an underachiever for the club.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net