football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Virgil Van Dijk
Goonz (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 09:01
Arsenal should immediately make a bid of around £30-45m for Southampton dutch centre back Virgil Van Dijk who wants to leave.

Though his preferred club is Liverpool, saints would rather him move to another club after the tapping up case.

Van Dijk would be an immediate starter and give stability,leadership and height to a still shaky arsenal backline.

Re: Virgil Van Dijk
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 11:21
Chelsea are bidding for him so we can forget that

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

djarse (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 11:37
I suggested the same a few months back - would be a great addition if we could get him. But Wenger has generally been reluctant to recruit players who "go on virtual strike" to secure a move.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 11:52
Vvd would be perfect for us because he has been one of the best centre halves in the league over the past two seasons and is an ideal Koscielny replacement as he often plays as the left-sided centre back in a back four.

I've said multiple times this summer he would've been my first choice transfer target, but he is going to cost around £60 million and Wenger would never pay that, especially with Koscielny, Mertesacker, Mustafi, Holding, Gabriel, Chambers and Bielik already on our books.

Personally, I'd have binned Mertesacker and Gabriel this summer to make room for him.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 13:15
I agree Matty, clear some of the dead wood and get new growth and bring in the new. Unfortunately this another player we have missed out on

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

SandyB (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 14:13
Quote:
Padre Pio
I agree Matty, clear some of the dead wood and get new growth and bring in the new. Unfortunately this another player we have missed out on

Arsenal is the new retirement home for the deadwoods n the buck starts right on the top with the manager. There is no chance in even hell that this guy will come to Arsenal, He didn't go on strike to move from a 8th place team to a 5th place team. These players are looking for bigger challenges, if Chelsea is in the run then they will be the favorite unless he made up his mind to play for Klopp.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 16:26
Quote:
Padre Pio

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Kalela (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 19:21
Wenger should have gotten him when he was playing in Scotland. It was clear even then that the guy would be a good player. With that said I think a creative midfielder us a bigger need for this team than a center back. With Wenger in charge the defense will always suck anyway.

We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 20:21
Yeah apparently we did look at him more than once while he was playing in Scotland.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 21:05
We need CMs who can actually pass and defend consistently

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 11:49
I said numerous times on here we should sign this guy when he was still at Celtic.

It's hard being right all the time, similar to DeTimes always being right all the time.

Like when stating Lacazette to be the same standard as Sanogo as the reason Wenger didn't sign him last summer. Then miraculously stating Lacazette to be world class when Wengr did sign him this summer.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 13:22
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I said numerous times on here we should sign this guy when he was still at Celtic.
It's hard being right all the time, similar to DeTimes always being right all the time.

Like when stating Lacazette to be the same standard as Sanogo as the reason Wenger didn't sign him last summer. Then miraculously stating Lacazette to be world class when Wengr did sign him this summer.

He is wrong on the first and the latter

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 05:03
We are all stocked at CB. We are @#$%& in CM.
I don't want to see ramsey and xhaka play any games whatsoever in the europa league of we wanna get into the top 4 next year

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 12:27
Quote:
CazOnARola
We are all stocked at CB. We are @#$%& in CM.
I don't want to see ramsey and xhaka play any games whatsoever in the europa league of we wanna get into the top 4 next year

Instead of van Dijk, I rather groom Holding and Chambers to anchor our central defence in the coming years. For now they can learn their craft from Kos and BFG. Plus we have Gabriel who on his day, can be a beast with his no nonsense tackling though he is proned to being overzealous in his tackling. Kolasinac can also step in for CD when needed. Agree that CM is far from ideal at this time as we have Xhaka and Ramsey who both can't tackle.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 12:49
Ramsey can actually. Every time we win the ball in the middle of the park you will find is invariably it will be ramsey or coquelin who would have won the ball of one of the forwards like alexis/welbeck/iwobi who has drifted in.

If ramsey and coqueling both very injured, we will have 0 defensive capabilities at CM.
Our best combination when we want a balanced approach is ramsey xhaka. If we wanna close out games, it will be coquelin xhaka, with ramsey playing in place of ozil who should be subbed.

Hence imperative ramsey xhaka don't play any games in europa, fa cup and mickey mouse cup

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 17:12
I don't want VD personally

It's hard enough to pull chicks

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 17:31
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth

(Sm152)

Shane (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:52
Quote:
MattySadler
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth

(Sm152)

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:02
We need him pronto.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:02
Yep.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 22:19
Offer them Chambers and Holding on loan plus cash. He's the perfect and obvious player we need, that's exactly why Wenger won't sign him!

litmus (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:04
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Offer them Chambers and Holding on loan plus cash. He's the perfect and obvious player we need, that's exactly why Wenger won't sign him!

Chambers on loan yes, not Holding. Holding should, and will get games.

We play 3 at the back and with our injury record, we will invariable have 3 or more CBs all injured together at one or more stage of this long season, so I am all the addition of Van Dijk. He can be our new Sol.

The goals we conceded yesterday was mainly due to playing LBs and CMs as centrebacks. They don't have the natural CB mentality and it was obvious.

Is anyone besides Holding fit for Stoke? Per and Mustafi?

De Times (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:18
Why do we need to pay so much for a bench
warmer who would get in the way of the development of a top prospect like Holding?

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:50
I'll remember this thread for if and when we sign him, and you claim he is the best in the league.

De Times (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 09:35
We won't sign him, we're not here to waste money on what we don't need.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

12 August, 2017 11:00
We need better C/Backs full stop.
We have to many who are not good enough and should have been moved on.

Flava (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 12:23
Quote:
De Times
We won't sign him, we're not here to waste money on what we don't need.

But we wasted £50m on a striker who you said was at the level of Samogo last July

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 01:02
^^^There aren't any players in the world who are better than what we already have.

Unless Wenger signs them, then they automatically change from the level of Sanogo to world class overnight.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

14 August, 2017 09:01
Virgil Van Dijk.

Think he will end up at Chelsea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net