football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Cazorla.
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 10:37
Santi Cazorla has described this season as the worst of his career, and revealed that he’s had eight operations on his Achilles since November.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Re: Cazorla.
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 12:38
Bye bye Cazorla.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 12:59
another one with only 1 year left on his contract. Plus Alexis, Ozil, Ramsey, Mertesacker and a couple more. This could be a really bad summer in the transfer market for us.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 18:07
I did say last season that his fitness situation was only going to get worse.

Found it odd how he had returned to "fitness" last season and had a full, undisturbed pre-season, yet was still unfit for the start of this season.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 18:42
Will likely be the end of Cazorla unfortunately. As good a footballer as he is he's no spring chicken and wasn't quick at the best of times anyway, a season out and multiple surgeries will probably leave him at the twilight Arteta standard now.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 19:35
Cazorla game has never been about speed. He's still better than any midfielder we've got. We need to find someone who can make the game like he does.

I'd love to see Isco there but he'd probably vacate the midfield as much as Ramsey.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 13:51
I was all for giving Cazorla one last year and binning Elneny in favour of a tall/ powerful unit who can play a couple of roles, but in light of today's rumours I think it is probably game over for Cazorla.

Sign a Fabinho/ N'Zonzi/ Bakayoko/ Carvalho/ Goretzka type and I think we'll be looking even stronger midfield-wise.

Goofle (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 14:16
You just named several different types of player.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 16:04
So what? We need some size and power.

Goofle (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 18:37
We do? Basically all of our midfielders aside from Cazorla are of typical and adequate power. Maybe not height but that's not really an issue in our squad either.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 18:56
It was when we lost to Crystal Palace.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 19:54
Xhaka was touted as that guy. Ppl said he likes to get stuck in, which tbf is true but he is not really a guy who is very good at it.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 06:46
I'm more than happy with Xhaka sitting in front of the defence. The problems with Xhaka arose when Wenger described him as a "box-to-box" player and had him arsing about trying to press high and getting in to trouble.

My issue is with who plays with him. Using the Palace game I mentioned as an example, we were getting done over by Benteke in the air and a simple solution would be having the other midfielder helping the centre backs by standing on his toes and making it more difficult for him aerially, but "the other midfielder" was Elneny, who can literally just run and pass.

In Everton's comeback victory against us, they sent in Idrissa Gueye, James McCarthy and Ross Barkley to overrun our midfield. Say what you want about Xhaka and Coquelin, but neither of them mind getting stuck in, but Ozil shirked that particular challenge and we were completely overran.

We were blown away by Spur's midfield as well, and they're all literally big units.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 13:41
I'm fine with coquelin. He is good at tables and interceptions. Xhaka has the mindset but doesn't have the same skill. That's where dembele is a monster of a player. He has everything you want from a CM. He can be physical and skillful. Atleast xhaka is better than playing cazorla there but i think even arteta had better positional sense then xhaka Atleast the ability to get away with cheap could without cards. Ramsey is good at making tackles so atleast ramsey xhaka is a decent option for us. Maybe xhaka will develop that intelligence this year

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 15:16
I meant the spurs dembele

MattySadler (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 18:13
Dembele is amazing.

I don't dislike Coquelin, but you have to be careful who you play him with. He can't do the "sitting in front of the back four distributing" thing that Xhaka and Arteta can do/ did. Have to admit Coquelin was probably my biggest disappointment last season though.

Goofle (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 18:21
Ramsey and Xhaka will be perfectly good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net