football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Sunderland
MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:38
Cech - 7. Didn't expect him to have to do much but he was still needed to make a few good saves.

Holding - 6. Surprisingly tough battle against N'Dong at times in the first half. Easy second half.
Mustafi - 6. Didn't have a great first half but improved in the second half.
Monreal - 5. Sloppy on at least two occasions that I can remember.

Bellerin - 5. So wasteful.
Xhaka - 5. Not as good as in recent weeks. Looked very leggy at times. Still played some lovely passes mind.
Ramsey - 6. Got forward well in the first half but did nothing in the second.
Gibbs - 3. Offered nothing.

Ozil - 7. Best player tonight.
Giroud - 4. Useless for most of the game, particularly the first half.
Alexis - 7. Infuriating at times, particularly in the first half, but scored both goals.

Subs:

Welbeck - 5. Added legs.
Iwobi - 5. Bright at times.
Walcott - N/A. Not on long.

The numbers of empty seats says it all. This doesn't feel much like a win, and it comes down to Wenger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2017 22:43 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Sunderland
MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:39
I have no doubts in my mind that these players could comfortably beat that Sunderland by 6 or 7 goals minimum, but it all comes down to what we all keep saying. What we (Wenger) value about football is wrong.

36 shots haha.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:49
How many fans turned up?
Look like about 50,000 or 40,000 crowd?

Now, if Arsenal fans continue to boycott Everton match ...

Say, Arsenal fans turn up and then leave after 21 minutes in celebration of Arsene Wenger's 21-year regime.

That will send a message to Kroenke what to expect in 2017/18 season if Wenger is still around ...

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:02
Ramsey a higher mark than Xhaka, is totally bizarre.

Xhaka was very good 2nd half. Ramsey was poor throughout.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:14
Ramsey overall was better than Xhaka.
Xhaka was very poor 1st half.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:18
Quote:
Boston Gooner

This, plus I generally thought Xhaka looked very leggy and jaded.

Doesn't make sense to me. Wenger spoke about how we had "four high intensity games in 10 days", yet we've got a number of players who've sat about largely unused. Whether you rate the players specifically or not is another matter, but we had players out there today who looked sh*gged, mentally as well as physically.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:22
Wenger is desperate and fielded Xhaka and Alexis despite being injured.

Ozil, Xhaka and Alexis are his saviors to maintain Top-4 challenge.

Without this Trio, Arsenal team is toothless and devoid of playmakers.

Plus, Wenger still didn't trust Iwobi, Walcott and Perez.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:23
I can sort of understand Walcott because he is being punished and doesn't really fit into this formation, but the lack of Iwobi and Lucas is weird, especially seeing as Lucas has spoke openly about wanting to leave due to lack of chances.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:27
Quote:
Boston Gooner

2nd half was Xhaka best in an Arsenal shirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2017 21:29 by Gunnersingh1.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:37
Xhaka's passing tonight:-
- 96 Passes (92%)
- 6 Key Passes
- 16/18 Long Passes

16 May, 2017 21:38
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Quote:
Boston Gooner

2nd half was Xhaka best in an Arsenal shirt.

What don't you understand about the word overall ?

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:39
And I agreed with GS! (Sm6)
He was a monster with his probing passes.

16 May, 2017 21:42
Quote:
Merlion96
And I agreed with GS! (Sm6) He was a monster with his probing passes.

If you two agree god help us. (Sm151)

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 05:46
"Still played some lovely passes mind".

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 05:49
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_-7d4bUIAAyW1E.jpg:large

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 05:59
The 36 shots we had last night was the most we've ever had in a Premier League game that opta have analysed.

litmus (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 05:59
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
Merlion96
And I agreed with GS! (Sm6) He was a monster with his probing passes.

If you two agree god help us. (Sm151)

Everyone sees through their own individual 'self looking glass'. Renowned self-management guru Stephen Covey talks about it in his books, about how people see what they want to see. If people are so eager to watch players to see their mistakes that's what they will see, even if a player had a good game. And vice versa, if a fan love a player so much, they won't see it even if he had a stinker.

Credit should be given when it is due, and I though Xhaka had a good game, his interplay with Ozil has been good in the past few games, fast one-touch passing between the two if you watch the games closely. Xhaka has contributed a lot in terms of our passing and his range of passes has been very good. It gives us another passing dimension. Teams have always focused on stopping our passing on the ground, but Xhaka is able to loft long balls accurately. While it was Ozil who cross to Sanchez for the tap in, it was Xhaka's lofted ball again which split the defense. I remember he also did another time for Sanchez to score in a past game.

The good thing is that he has cut out those rash tackles that can bring a red, and stay on his feet much more. In fact, I think I saw some stats that shows he is winning more tackles recently (by staying on his feet) than previously. I feel he has improved much overall. Some players take some time to bed in. Pires only really came good after a year with us.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 06:13
Quote:
litmus
The good thing is that he has cut out those rash tackles that can bring a red, and stay on his feet much more. In fact, I think I saw some stats that shows he is winning more tackles recently (by staying on his feet) than previously. I feel he has improved much overall. Some players take some time to bed in. Pires only really came good after a year with us.

Correct.

I always say that you're best showing patience with new signings from overseas. Every so often you get an Alexis, or a Torres when he joined Liverpool, or Kante, for example, who immediately hit the ground running and are excellent, but there are plenty of examples where patience has been a virtue. Sometimes it can take 6 - 12 months for a player to settle, like with your Pires example, or more recently with Koscielny. In some cases, like with Monreal, it can take as much as 18 months to settle.

What makes things worse for us is that we're such an unstructured bunch. I don't doubt pretty much every other manager in the world would use our football players like actual football players, but that isn't the case under Wenger. In our 4-2-3-1 formation, we have two full backs who have to play like wingers, provide all the attacking width and basically attack, attack, attack, and have four or five midfielders who Wenger wants to "express themselves" and "play their own game", basically meaning they're allowed to float around and do whatever you feel. New players coming into this airy fairy system in such a fast paced league is a recipe for disaster. It is no coincidence that we've looked more structured recently with the extra man at the back.

I think Xhaka has been a lot better than the media would allow you to believe, but a lot of this is due to certain parties wanting him to fail from the very start, possibly influenced by the amount of sh*t Arsenal fans on Twitter constantly give Man United and Paul Pogba. Honestly, in Xhaka I see the Arteta successor we've been needing since 2014, and I think we can definitely build the team around him in that position.

That is not a knock on Coquelin, by the way. You may recall I was one of the original ones championing him on here way back, but what I think we have seen from Coquelin during his bad runs of form this season and last season, is that anchoring as some kind of deep-lying playmaker just isn't his best role. Coquelin is best as a ball-winning midfielder, in the Kante role.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 08:22
I thought Xakha played well his passing is brilliant we should have buried Sunderland and therein lies the story.We have no ruthless streak in any part of the pitch and why under this leadership this season will be repeated.

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 12:20
Quote:
Bergmars
I thought Xakha played well his passing is brilliant we should have buried Sunderland and therein lies the story.We have no ruthless streak in any part of the pitch and why under this leadership this season will be repeated.

Because Wenger's focus is all on the passing, which is why we often get to the edge of the penalty area and get stuck.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:17
2nd half was a job to watch with those Xhaka's long passes and Ozil's precise short passes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net