football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

This morning's presser
MattySadler (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:43
Wenger says no Champions League qualification will not effect our transfer plans.

I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or bad thing...

Re: This morning's presser
younghansolo (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:03
Might not impact our plans but it will no doubt impact the decisions of players we target the silly old fool.

He also made some ridiculous throw away comment about us potentially finishing with four more points than last season and that being a good thing.

Why even say that? Just don't @#$%& say it you stupid old twatt.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:19
Unbelievable. How I'd love for no CL qualification to effect whether our manager kept his job or not.

There is genuinely no cure for this parasite.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:49
Quote:
MattySadler
Wenger says no Champions League qualification will not effect our transfer plans.
I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or bad thing...

Ming he got some 19 to 23 year old French players, costing in the region of 30-mil or less, lined up as replacement for those Arsenal players that will leave or out of contract or asked to find a new clubs.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 13:11
Saying Chelsea had it easy with no CL why can't he just shut up we have been poor don't try to deflect from that by blustering.Nobodys swallowing this manure just go.

A shadow of what we were

SandyB (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 13:23
Quote:
Bergmars
Saying Chelsea had it easy with no CL why can't he just shut up we have been poor don't try to deflect from that by blustering.Nobodys swallowing this manure just go.
He's talking to AKBs asking for legitimacy giving them the hope that next season is the season for him to win the league.. the hope the false dawn!
The old fox is worst than corrupt politicians...
Quote:
Arsene Wenger responds to #WengerOut, says he doesn’t care and he’s ‘not in politics’
Caitlin Murray @caitlinmurr
May 14, 2017 at 11:56a ET
Signs of protest calling for Arsene Wenger to be sacked as Arsenal’s coach have been popping up everywhere. There was that group of fans that projected “#WengerOut” across the entire side of Emirates Stadium. On Saturday, fans flew another plane flying a banner that said “Wenger – Out Means Out.”

Through all this, Wenger has remained mum about his future, even after revealing his mind is made up amid reports he’s been offered a contract extension. As for all the ever-increasing #WengerOut efforts? He doesn’t care at all, he said on Saturday after Arsenal beat Stoke City, 4-1.

“I am not influenced by that at all,” Wenger told reporters via Goal.com. “I want to focus on football. I am not in politics. All the rest, for me, is less important. I am in sport, I love sport, I give 24 hours a day for what I love and all the rest … I am in a public job, some agree with me, some do not. But I have no special opinion on that.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“I am paid to do my job, for a club I love, and I will do that as long as I am here, with full commitment. I have nothing else to say.”

If Wenger cared about the #WengerOut campaign, given the sheer ubiquity of it, he probably would’ve showed it by now. And if the decision of whether or not he stays with Arsenal is truly his, then the money fans are pouring into protest signs might not be such a good investment since he doesn’t seem bothered.

Arsenal hit a rough stretch earlier this year, but they’ve been on a run lately, winning five of their last six Premier League matches. Whether or not they finish in the top four and secure a spot in UEFA Champions League, however, is no longer in the Gunners’ hands — they sit in fifth place, four points behind Liverpool, with a game in hand and two more Premier League matches to play.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 13:44
Wenger gets paid more than Conte

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

tigerline (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 14:54
Quote:
Padre Pio
Wenger gets paid more than Conte

How much more?

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 10:09
he is a parasite that has refused to get lost

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/2017-09-26_12.35.41.jpg

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 13:00
Highest Paid Football Managers In 2016-17 Season

1 Pep Guardiola (New) Manchester City £15m (3 year deal from 2016-17 season)
2 Jose Mourinho (new) Manchester United £13.8m (3 year deal with option to extend to fourth year)
3 Carlo Ancelotti (new) Bayern Munich £9m (signed a 3 year deal to remain at Bayern till 2019)
4 Arsene Wenger Arsenal £8.30m (signed a 3 year deal in May 2014)
5 Zinedine Zidane Real Madrid £8m (2 and half year deal)
6 Jurgen Klopp Liverpool £7m (3 year deal)
7 Antonio Conte (new) Chelsea £6.5m (3 year deal from 2016-17 season)
8 Luis Enrique FC Barcelona £7m
9 Mauricio Pochettino (new) Tottenham £5.5m (signed 5 year extension till 2021 season)

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 14:10
Can you believe Wenger having the audacity to accuse teams like West Ham of having "gone on holiday" and questioning the morality of the Premier League!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 14:13
Yes they put such a hard fight up against us

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 15:01
Most of our players have been on holiday since September so he can't really say anything.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 15:35
(Sm22)
Quote:
younghansolo
Most of our players have been on holiday since September so he can't really say anything.
(Sm22)

True, but they have decided to come back now after 6 months of rest and feel its only fair that everyone else should come back now too.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:08
Its just sour grapes. We shouldn't really have a problem. It hurts him that we are gonna miss out and it should. And it's ok if he's trash talking in the media against guardiola etc etc . What really matters is results on the pitch. And he hasn't done well. If the powers that be care, he will be left go.
If he signs 2 year deal, he will be sacked next year cause fan unrest will reach new levels next season.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:17
Complete lack of accountability.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 19:44
Quote:
MattySadler
Can you believe Wenger having the audacity to accuse teams like West Ham of having "gone on holiday" and questioning the morality of the Premier League!

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 19:46
We're lucky Sunderland have gone on holiday!!

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:00
Thats right its all the other teams fault for already being on their holidays for the last two games.

Nothing to do with your shockingly poor management for the other 36 games.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Bergmars (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 08:25
The guys got rhino skin

A shadow of what we were

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2017 08:27 by Bergmars.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 15:10
What would he said after Watford held Liverpoool and he lost to Everton??

MattySadler (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:14
He is now saying that he is surprised people are making us potentially missing out on the top four being a big deal, because "I answered for 20 years the question, 'the top four is nothing special'. So I don't know why suddenly it could become such a big problem."

When quizzed about all the empty seats last night, he said "I didn't count the number of people who were in seats."

He tried saying this season has been a success because we got more points than last season!

The bloke is falling apart.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:16
Quote:
MattySadler
He is now saying that he is surprised people are making us potentially missing out on the top four being a big deal, because "I answered for 20 years the question, 'the top four is nothing special'. So I don't know why suddenly it could become such a big problem."
When quizzed about all the empty seats last night, he said "I didn't count the number of people who were in seats."

He tried saying this season has been a success because we got more points than last season!

hypocritical snake-oil salesman.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:13
Quote:
MattySadler

Matty,
honestly think we are going to be stuck with Wenger for another couple of seasons now. (Sm105)

Most on here think he has lost the plot now.
God knows what he is going to be like in the future for us.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Bergmars (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 04:59
Two more wasted years I just don't see us attracting the right players assuming we have any intention of trying to sign any.
It's a strange decision from all viewpoints because there is such an air of gloom and despondency surrounding the club.

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 06:32
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Matty,
honestly think we are going to be stuck with Wenger for another couple of seasons now. (Sm105)

Most on here think he has lost the plot now.
God knows what he is going to be like in the future for us.

Tell me about it. A few days ago he said he'll "win the league with us within three years" again, so what's that now, "judge me in May 2020" ?

He's a nutcase..

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 06:48
We all now Wenger is going to stay anyway, but I'd at least respect his decision a bit more if he'd come out and admit where he had gone wrong and what he is going to do differently, but of course that would be an admission of failure and he is far too stubborn and arrogant to do that. Instead he'd rather blame other teams for not taking enough points off our rivals, or whatever ludicrous excuses he clings on to.

"In the early 00s I correctly predicting that Spain and Barcelona would become football's super power, so I tried to imitate them, hence my bringing through the likes of Fabregas and Reyes, and creating a team of passing super midgets. Whilst it worked for Spain and Barcelona, allowing them to dominate for years and years, trying to implement this style in England was short-sighted and, on reflection, was never going to work. The "age of expression" ended at least five years ago, and Spain and Barcelona aren't near the dominant sides they once were, but I have hung on and persevered with this style for too long, and have watched as tactically-astute, well-drilled, organised sides have experienced success at our expense. I have missed many great opportunities for silverware and wasted the careers of many potentially-great players. I am sorry, and I promise you, I WILL MAKE ARSENAL GREAT AGAIN!"

Bergmars (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 07:13
Yesterday's man go with dignity he is ruining his reputation

A shadow of what we were

younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 07:48
Meanwhile Spurs are in talks with Dani Alvez. That's the quality they can now attract.

I'd be quite happy to sell Bellerin for an inflated price and bring in Turan and then buy Alvez.

But Wenger will keep Bellerin two more years then he will go to Barca for about ten million anyway

MattySadler (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:56
How come Barca let Alves go? Or did he want to leave himself??

younghansolo (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:01
I think he wanted out if I remember correctly. Decided he wanted a new challenge after falling out with one of their managers in the last few years.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 11:26
After spending most of this season saying that the uncertainty surrounding his future has had no impact on the team, he is now saying that it probably has had a negative effect...

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 15:04
I've said this before, but Wenger reminds me of that Gadaffi dictator guy who chatted so much s.hite burying his head in the sand and insisting everything was fine and dandy right up until when his own countrymen dragged him out in the street and murdered him.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 21:39
Yep like Gadafi he will be the last to know he is going

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 05:05
Chemical Ali ..no Americans in Baghdad whilst their tanks are journeying across the screen in the background​.Hes the king with no clothes how can he carry on after the debacle of this season surely for his own dignity and pride you would just go.

A shadow of what we were

MattySadler (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 18:21
According to Matt Hughes from The Times, Wenger is under pressure to dismiss goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton and fitness coach Tony Colbert.

The goalkeeping and fitness departments aren't exactly our finest eh?

There were rumours that they were unhappy with the standard of goalkeeping coaching a few years ago, when they were concerned that Szczesny's development had stalled.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 19:08
Quote:
MattySadler
According to Matt Hughes from The Times, Wenger is under pressure to dismiss goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton and fitness coach Tony Colbert.
The goalkeeping and fitness departments aren't exactly our finest eh?

There were rumours that they were unhappy with the standard of goalkeeping coaching a few years ago, when they were concerned that Szczesny's development had stalled.

I think our biggest issue is our scouting and contracts department. Letting Kane go and missing out on Ali are the 2 fockups that should not have happened. And allowing so many critical players' contracts run with 1 year left is not acceptable.

litmus (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 06:05
Guys let the Kane issue go, he was a nine year old when he played the Arsenal youth squad. At that age it was all kids just learning about football at youth clubs, and there were no contracts. Any kid's parent can just switch youth clubs whenever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net