football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

U23s vs. Man United
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:40
Currently live on Arsenal.com

We're 2-0 up thanks to goals from Reiss Nelson and Eddie Nketiah, both assisted by Cohen Bramall.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_UpyIlWAAAceCy.jpg:large

Re: U23s vs. Man United
MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:43
Chris Willock facing his older brother Matty Willock, who left us to sign for Man United.

United can't get anywhere near us at the moment. Willock and Nelson are running the show.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:49
Half time 2-0.

I believe this is our final U23 fixture, so this could be the final Arsenal appearance for a number of players, such as Glen Kamara, Savvas Mourgos, and possibly Carl Jenkinson as well.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:52
Quote:
MattySadler
Half time 2-0.
I believe this is our final U23 fixture, so this could be the final Arsenal appearance for a number of players, such as Glen Kamara, Savvas Mourgos, and possibly Carl Jenkinson as well.

Maybe Chris Willock as well, if rumours are to be believed...

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 20:53
Into injury time... United grew into the second half and pulled one back. We had a chance to wrap up the points but substitute Malen's poor penalty was saved, and United fought back to equalise.

Not long left, 2-2.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 20:58
There has not been much come through the academy for a long time now Iwobi seems to have gone the same way as a few before him.

DB10,the best.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 21:09
Quote:
Bergmars
There has not been much come through the academy for a long time now Iwobi seems to have gone the same way as a few before him.

Yeah there's currently a number who've come through right through the ranks who are currently "there or thereabouts", but it is tough seeing them making the breakthrough given our big squad.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 21:55
Whatever happen to Maitland-Niles?
I thought he had made a break-through to replace Coquelin?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 22:57
Quote:
Merlion96
Whatever happen to Maitland-Niles?
I thought he had made a break-through to replace Coquelin?

He's been ready and waiting in reserve, for when an injury crisis in central midfield or at right back created an opening. Although this hasn't transpired, he's still the youngster who has looked most like being promoted to the first team this season.

I've seen him have some cracking games for our U23s this season. I'd like to see him go out on loan again next season.

There will be a lot of departures this summer though, we have a pretty huge youth team when you factor in all the players out on loan as well.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 23:47
Yeah, I see another bloodbath with 10 to 20+ youngsters being cut with a complete overhaul of the Youth and academy system.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 07:36
Yeah there will definitely be some outgoings. Just looking at centre back as an example...

We currently have Krystian Bielik, Julio Pleguezuelo, Stefan O'Connor, Kristopher Da Graca and Ben Sheaf as our "older youth centre backs".

Since being converted from midfielder to central defender, Bielik has done well. Last season he featured in every single one of our U21 games alongside Pleguezuelo. He featured regularly for the U23s this season, whilst also featuringly in some of our domestic cup games. He then went out on loan to Championship side Birmingham and did really well. I saw him come off the bench against Wolves and he practically defended their 2-1 lead on his own. It was unreal. He is a great talent and I expect him to have a good future in the game.

Pleguezuelo initially struggled with injury after signing for us from Barcelona. He returned to finish the 2014-15 season strongly for our U21s, and started every single one of our U21 games the following season, as captain, alongside Bielik. This season he went out on loan to Spanish second tier side Mallorca and, although he has completed the full 90 minutes in their last four fixtures up until that point I would be being generous if I said he'd featured infrequently. His loan hasn't gone well and it is difficult seeing him returning

O'Connor looked a great during the 2014-15 season as he completed the full 90 in all but one of our U21 games, and made his senior debut as a substitute in the Champions League. The following season though, he found himself benched with Pleguezuelo and Bielik preferred. He had a brief loan spell to League Two side York cut short by injury that season, and this season he went on loan to Dutch second tier side Maastricht, along with Kelechi Nwakali. It wasn't a successful loan though, as he only made four appearances and the move was ended prematurely recently. Although I really, really want us to produce our own defenders again, unfortunately I expect him to leave.

Since signing for us from Hisingsbacka, Swiss defender Da Graca has never really looked like making the grade here. He was struggled and made a lot of costly errors and mistakes. He featured twice for Genoa's youth team in March and recently went on trial to Swiss side Hacken and Premier League side Crystal Palace in efforts to earn a permanent move away. His contract expires at the end of the season.

Although viewed as a central/ defensive midfielder when he first signed for us from West Ham, technically-gifted Sheaf's conversion to centre back has been one of the great success stories of this season's U23 campaign. He has featured in all but two of our U23 games, mostly at centre back, but also at right back and right midfield. I'm not sure where he'll end up playing in the long term but I think he could have a great future.

Of the five centre backs I have mentioned, I could literally only see Bielik and Sheaf at the club next season.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 07:55
Hardly recognise most of them, is Jenkinson under 23?

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

djarse (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:05
I see Iwobi picks out Nketiah, Nelson & Sheaf as the three that have impressed him most in the under-213s:

[www.arsenal.com]

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 13:28
Quote:
Padre Pio
Hardly recognise most of them, is Jenkinson under 23?

I think Jenkinson is 24/ 25, but I believe you're allowed to name up to 3 over age players, not including the goalkeeper. May be wrong on that though.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 13:30
Quote:
djarse
I see Iwobi picks out Nketiah, Nelson & Sheaf as the three that have impressed him most in the under-213s:
[www.arsenal.com]

Hard to argue with this. As young forwards I like Eddie Nketiah and Stephy Mavididi a lot, Nelson is probably our best prospect and Sheaf has been a revelation at centre half.

Chris Willock is a great prospect as well, such quality on the ball, but he and his brother could both be off in the summer...

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 17:55
Look at his track record of grooming youngsters into senior team.

How many of them made it as 1st name on the team sheet?

Only one - Fabregas.

The rest of the youngsters starting with Theo Walcott in 2006 are hit-and-miss or one-season wonder or Sick-Note like Wilshere or glass-leg Gibbs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net