football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Leicester
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 21:15
Great game here and a fantastic effort so far.

It made me think I can't remember the last CL game of ours where I was actually excited and saw a passionate display from the team.

Maybe when Arshavin scored the winner at home against Barca over 6 years ago now.

Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Re: Leicester
PKGooner (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 21:38
We've had so many humiliating defeats in Europe (and otherwise) that I've lost count but one particularly bad one is getting dicked by United in 08/09.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 10:27
The united game was utter humiliation. I remember the massive fan fair at home, all the banners all the singing and working two minutes they'd ended all hope.

Eboractos (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 22:59
Yes YHS, that game was probably the best atmosphere I've ever seen in the Emirates in the build up to kick off. It felt like the fans had really played their part and then the players had utterly failed to play theirs. If I remember correctly we were 3-0 down at half time with Almunia playing particularly badly. Many fans walked out at half time, myself included.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 23:18
Is that the game where Ronaldo scored from a free kick really long way out because Almunia was s.hit?

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Eboractos (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 07:48
That's the one

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 09:21
Yeah thought so, I still get angry and sad when I think about that game.

Semi final in the CL, at home in the 2nd leg with only a 1-0 defeat away in the 1st leg against Man U. Back then I was still an actual optimistic supporter so I shared the feeling of real hope with virtually every other Arsenal fans that we had very good chance of knocking out Man U in the 2md leg and reach the CL final.

The hype in the build up to that game was unreal and the atmosphere in the stadium was electric in the beginning and looked so good with everyone waving the Arsenal flags. 8 mins later I saw Gibbs slip Park coming in to make it 2-0 in agg and now they had an away goal too. Still being being optmistic I said to my friends that we can still turn this around as we still had 80+ mins left.

But then 3 minutes later we concede a freekick half way inside our own half but it ws still very far away for it be seriously dangerous, especially for direct freekick. Boy was I wrong. Ronaldo dared to test Almunia from that far out and his gamble paid off. (I was so angry with Almunia for being so s.hit that I never forgave him after that game, though in hindsight the fault lies with Wenger for having a poor GK like Almunia as our no.1)

11 minutes into the second leg and Man U had increased the lead to 3-0, game over, especially with two away goals. All that hype for nothing and we got embarrased by Man U thrashing us 3-1, at home, in a CL semi.

That was the beginning of the end of us actually being competitive in the CL.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Eboractos (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 11:52

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net