football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Why is he the best
hahanice (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 22:58
Looking at statistics, why does everyone give wenger so much credit. I get what he did for the club but they should be taken in context.

League titles: 3
FA cups: 6
Champions league: 0

In the 20 years before him
League titles: 2
FA cups: 4 (and a European cup winners cup)
Champions league: 0

So we aren't like blatantly better than we were before he came, though we have improved. Especially that first 10 years.

But look at how the other clubs fared.

Chelsea
League titles: 4
FA cups: 6
Champions league: 1

Man City
League titles: 2
FA cups: 1

Man united
League titles: 10
FA cups: 3
Champions league: 2

So we've been the 3rd best club around during his full tenure, and the 4th best over the past 10 years. In all honesty even during his most productive spell all we really were was a mild annoyance for united.

You would think he did what saf did or something. He was a slight improvement on what we had been. He doesn't even qualify as having produced our most successful 20 years, though that was before our time.

I quite simply don't get it. PS my math could be wrong, that was from memory and quick searches

Re: Why is he the best
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 23:40
We had 10 league titles when he arrived, in 20 years he has added 3, hardly prolific.
He has never managed to win an European competition of any sorts, yet Mee and Graham have one apiece

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 00:18
This exactly.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 06:44
He is the best snake-oil salesman.
He inherited the firm foundation of the defensive unit and Bergy, the glue that held the French Spine together.
And David Dein got him Gilberto Silva and Sol Campbell.

Wenger contributions are then his intimate knowledge of the Golden 1990s Decade of French Football where he grabbed Petit, Vieira, Pires, Henry, Anelka and Wiltord before the rest of Football World wised-up to his antics.

After that, it is all downhill for the next 12 years to such a sad state as to today, buying dross recommended by his so-called French scouts in Grimandi.

That is, once Wenger left France for Japan and England, he had effectively lost all intimate knowledge of French Football like he had in 70s, 80s and 90s where he ahd a vast network of his contemporaries.

Arsene Wenger was and is still living on his past glories post-French Spine, never to repeat again as he got lucky that once and no more such 1990s luck again in spotting French talents before other big clubs wised-up to him and out-bided him each and every time to get the players they wanted.

Arsene Wenger is yesterday man of the 1990s, certainly not this 2010s Modern Football.

Can he re-invented himself?
Sadly, 2016/17 season proved he can't with that WBA really at the worst kind of Crab Football - all obsession with possession and clueless to know what to do with the ball when in possession.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 09:59
the man is just a FRAUD. when he eventually gets out, we may have it rough cos I doubt the boards ability to hire a good manager and of cos most of his Wenger babies will leave with him, making it difficult for another manager to excel immediately with limited cash plus cooperation but EVENTUALLY results and trophies will expose him for who he truly is; a fraud and a spin doctor who was suffering from an advanced stage of self denial.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/xa_1.jpg http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/Capture.png

ORDER From: [teechip.com]

Copyright © 2015 TeeChip. All Rights Reserved.Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | DMCA

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:04
Quote:
Padre Pio
We had 10 league titles when he arrived, in 20 years he has added 3, hardly prolific.
He has never managed to win an European competition of any sorts, yet Mee and Graham have one apiece

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/th_j9gSgr0b_400x400_zps8kfv0ppy.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

Bergmars (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 09:47
I pointed out some time ago the ratio of games per trophy gives GG the edge if you judge the quality of football up until four seasons ago AW had the edge.Now the football is dull repetitive and predictable.

DB10,the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net