football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Preston
MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 19:48
Ospina - 6. Only criticism is when he came running off his line like a tw*t in the first half and nearly got lobbed. Otherwise he was okay, but he didn't have loads to do.

Maitland-Niles - 4. Whipped in a few good crosses but struggled defensively in his second senior start at right back, though he didn't get much help.
Mustafi - 4. First half was littered with mistakes, and made one potentially match-saving block. Second half was a big improvement.
Gabriel - 3. Played everyone onside for the Preston goal, and was very lucky he didn't cost us again a couple of times in the first half. I didn't notice him much in the second half, which I'll take as a positive thing.
Monreal - 6. Lost his man for the Preston goal, but made an excellent clearance afterwards when Ospina was lobbed. Was okay otherwise but crossing wasn't great.

Xhaka - 4. Looked off the pace in the first half but was much better in the second half.
Ramsey - 6. Embarrassing attempt at tackling McGeady for the Preston goal. Missed two good chances in the first half and looked a player bereft of confidence, but equalised right at the start of the second half and grew in stature after that. Great ball in for the late winner.

Lucas - 4. Embarrassing attempt at tackling McGeady for the first goal, didn't help Maitland-Niles out much defensively, gave away possession a few times with sloppy/ over hit passes, but helped us win it right at the end with clever reading of the situation and a delightful back heel.
Iwobi - 5. Worked hard but little came off for him today.
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 3. No involvement whatsoever for the first hour or so, but a slight improvement after that before going off.

Giroud - 6. Frustrating evening as he was often isolated and on his own, though he was more involved in the second half. Scored a vital winner late on.

Subs:

Welbeck - Lovely to see him back.
Holding - N/A. Not on long.
Reine-Adelaide - N/A. Not on long.

Downright unacceptable first half where we looked clueless defensively, sloppy in possession, slow in attack and completely unmotivated and unready to play a football game. Preston knew if they didn't give us time on the ball or space off it they'd stand a chance. It was particularly worrying as there didn't seem to be any leadership or guidance coming from everywhere. No attempt at proper game management. We were quickly 1-0 down, all over the place defensively, and needed to steady the ship for a bit, but we continued defending like idiots and throwing people forward. It was by some kind of miracle that we weren't 2-0 or 3-0 down.

Typically we responded right at the start of the second half as Ramsey equalised. We improved immensely but still weren't great, as our "attacking midfield three" really didn't turn up and we struggled to create. However, a Ramsey long ball was headed on by Giroud to the unimpressive Lucas, but Lucas got it right in the end as he intelligently backheeled it for Giroud to score the winner.

Nowhere near good enough but we're through to the next round.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:46 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Preston
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 19:51
I have to say I thought Iwobi was good today, the rest were shite.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 20:10
Only one major thought from me today, and that relates to the naivety, or perhaps the arrogance, of our approach. On paper this was a team containing 9 international footballers, but the reality was something very different.

For a start, the FA Cup is a competition like no other in the world of football.

Now, regardless of what you think about them as football PLAYERS, neither Ospina nor Monreal are particularly great leaders or communicators. Along with them in a back line you throw in Gabriel, who is never the most confidence-inspiring, and Mustafi, who really is new to English football and has never played in an FA Cup tie before. Along with that, you throw in Maitland-Niles, a 19 year old who has played as a right midfielder who the majority of his short professional career, supported by Lucas, again new to English football and the FA Cup, and not the hardest worker defensively. In front of that lot you have Xhaka, again new to English football and the FA Cup, and Ramsey, a player who's hardly played this season and who's confidence before kick off was clearly rock bottom.

Admittedly, injuries have meant we couldn't do too much about the central midfield, but this foundation was a recipe for disaster. We didn't look ready for kick off as Preston pressed us quickly all over the pitch, got stuck in and didn't give us any space to play, and we were all over the place at the back.

Maybe I'm being harsh here as injuries may have restricted selection in places, but had we gone out today we'd be looking back at the decision to rest Bellerin and Koscielny as a mistake. It was a miracle that we weren't 3-0, or even 4-0, down at half time.

plonky (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 20:22
Preston wage bill £10m p.a.

Arsenal wage bill £192m p.a.

There are no excuses

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 21:12
I thought Preston outplayed us for swathes of first half, it wasn't just pressing, it was push and run football at its best. We were lucky not to be 4-0 down when the first half whistle went.
Well played Preston

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 21:23
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
I have to say I thought Iwobi was good today, the rest were shite.

I thought he was the bright light in the first half, and he continued to work hard in the second half but lacked the same quality in possession.

Quote:
Padre Pio
I thought Preston outplayed us for swathes of first half, it wasn't just pressing, it was push and run football at its best. We were lucky not to be 4-0 down when the first half whistle went.
Well played Preston

I agree. I wasn't trying to downplay what Preston did. I thought they did an excellent job of both playing well and not allowing us to play well.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 21:39
Quote " but Lucas got it right in the end as he intelligently backheeled it for Giroud to score the winner."
My highlight of the match, or least Arsenal's effort

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 22:29
Preston lost simply they ran out of steam late in the game and got picked off by Arsenal.
Preston players ran themselves into the ground and by the 70th minute they were struggling to contain Arsenal.

Today display showed why we are still struggling to breakdown and score against premiership sides which are fitter than Preston and can run for 90+ minutes without losing their intensity.

We are in trouble during 2nd half of the season if Wenger still continues with his predictable tactics plus half the 1st team out injured.

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 01:40
I swear mustafi played for everton and his english is actually superb.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 07:29
Quote:
Gunners R Us
I swear mustafi played for everton and his english is actually superb.

He played one Europa League game for them 7 years ago. His English is very good, but as we all know, Gabriel can't speak English, and I certainly doubt he speaks German either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2017 07:44 by MattySadler.

De Times (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 19:50
Perez and Iwobi were our best players on the pitch. First half was really poor but we outplayed and outscore them in the second half. We won at the end of the day and it spoke well of our quality and mental strength. Every team in the league would struggle against any of the championship teams without 8 first team players (Coquelin, Koscielny, Cech, Bellerin, Ozil, Sanchez, Walcott, and Cazorla). Well done to the team.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

djarse (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 20:32
Not about ratings but....

I was interested to see Da Silva included as one of our subs. I never realised he was that highly thought of - I assumed he was much further down the pecking order.

Matty - any explanation ?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 20:51
Quote:
djarse
Not about ratings but....
I was interested to see Da Silva included as one of our subs. I never realised he was that highly thought of - I assumed he was much further down the pecking order.

Matty - any explanation ?

He has done well at times but, going by what little I know, I wouldn't exactly call him one of our "star performers" at youth level. Its a tricky one to try to explain, as I didn't know much about him before last season, but I think part of it may be because of his versatility.

As I said in another thread, he first broke through as a striker before dropping back into an attacking midfield/ left wing role, before dropping back again into a deeper, central midfielder, whilst recently this season he's played as both a centre back and a left back.

That could have been part of the reason, or he is actually highly thought of and we just don't know it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net