football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

 

Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
younghansolo (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:39
Suck on a massive one as far as I'm concerned.

scores absolutely vital goals for us time and time again.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 21:39 by younghansolo.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:48
Giroud isn't world class.

He is ok when he's fresh but as soon as he starts getting tired is awful. Didnt score in February, MArch or April despite playing regularly. the most league goals he has scored in a season is 16. Not good enough as the main striker for a team like Arsenal for 4 years and it looks like Wenger is going to be starting him again every game now.

If you are happy to asccept second rate strikers like him at Arsenal thats up to you, but I want better.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:50
Agreed AGooner.

I like Giroud but he shouldn't be our main striker and that is not his fault but Wenger's.



http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
SuperRob (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:56
He'd be better in a team that wants to cross the ball and get it in the box.

If he's playing we should play to his strengths and get the ball in the box as much as possible. If we aren't going to cross the ball until we're losing in the 80th minute, then he should be a sub and Alexis should be starting up front.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 21:58
We'd be @#$%& without his goals this season!

Might not be top class but his attitude is!

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 22:19
We could have got Mauro Icardi for about £50m in the summmer who now has 14 goals in 18 games in Serie A. Or PEA for £65m. Either and we could have been challenging for the title instead of top 4, but no, Wenger stuck with Giroud and bought Perez for £17m instead.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 22:29
Giroud top class. (Sm22)

Bench player at best.



http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/th_j9gSgr0b_400x400_zps8kfv0ppy.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 22:49
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
cluber4jesus (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 00:19
Goals from Giroud revived our dream of a dream thanks to the super hero

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Kalela (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 06:28
No. Even when played to his strength he is far from world class.



We don't have anybody with 20 goals in the league, so that is a handicap - Arsene Wenger

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
nomi_gooner (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 08:11
Quote:
AGooner
Giroud isn't world class.
He is ok when he's fresh but as soon as he starts getting tired is awful. Didnt score in February, MArch or April despite playing regularly. the most league goals he has scored in a season is 16. Not good enough as the main striker for a team like Arsenal for 4 years and it looks like Wenger is going to be starting him again every game now.

If you are happy to asccept second rate strikers like him at Arsenal thats up to you, but I want better.

Exactly what A Gooner said.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
kudzif01 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 10:21
Giroud is a good player and I have always liked him,but unless the definition of top class changed he does not qualify as top class.He had just about the same number of goals as Defoe had at freaking Sunderland last season .

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 11:41
Quote:
kudzif01
Giroud is a good player and I have always liked him,but unless the definition of top class changed he does not qualify as top class.He had just about the same number of goals as Defoe had at freaking Sunderland last season .

This season Defoe has 11 so far to Girouds 6. Defoe is a better all round player as well.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:16
Giroud is a great option to have, he's just not good enough to be the main man up top.



Albert Einstein once said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 12:20
Quote:
AGooner
Quote:
kudzif01
Giroud is a good player and I have always liked him,but unless the definition of top class changed he does not qualify as top class.He had just about the same number of goals as Defoe had at freaking Sunderland last season .

This season Defoe has 11 so far to Girouds 6. Defoe is a better all round player as well.

Slightly unfair when Giroud has had only 3 starts and Defoe has started 20 games. So 3 starts, 3 goals and 2 assists.

Let's get it right, OG is not world class but he brings us something no other player does for us. He looks clumsy as @#$%& but most of the time he can hold the ball up pretty well. I'm glad we've got him if i'm honest.

I tell you what though, i'm liking the look of Lucas Perez...



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 19:01
Giroud holding the ball up has been proven to be a myth by football analysts. There are a lot of players better than him at holding the ball up.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
younghansolo (IP Logged)
04 January, 2017 20:03
Modern Arsenal fans are so spoiled. Every time someone plays up front they expect them to be Thierry Henry.

Giroud scores when the pressure is on, scores out of this world goals and against the top teams. He has single handedly saved our bacon several times this season already. He's a top class footballer. (Not world class though)

I'm bloody glad we have him.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 11:24
Quote:
AGooner
Giroud holding the ball up has been proven to be a myth by football analysts. There are a lot of players better than him at holding the ball up.
I never said there wasn't buddy but he's about the only bloke who can do it for us.


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Flava (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 19:24
Quote:
Nikfonso
Quote:
AGooner
Quote:
kudzif01
Giroud is a good player and I have always liked him,but unless the definition of top class changed he does not qualify as top class.He had just about the same number of goals as Defoe had at freaking Sunderland last season .

This season Defoe has 11 so far to Girouds 6. Defoe is a better all round player as well.

Slightly unfair when Giroud has had only 3 starts and Defoe has started 20 games. So 3 starts, 3 goals and 2 assists.

Let's get it right, OG is not world class but he brings us something no other player does for us. He looks clumsy as @#$%& but most of the time he can hold the ball up pretty well. I'm glad we've got him if i'm honest.

I tell you what though, i'm liking the look of Lucas Perez...

And a fair few penalties in that as well from Defoe.

Giroud is an excellent striker. Top class but short of world class and there's nothing wrong with that.

AGooner is a bit of a wind up merchant, isn't he? I think we may have seen them on here under another name. Wouldn't matter if we had Aubameyang or Icardi, we can't defend as a team. Far too many goals conceded

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Flava (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 20:49
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
hahanice (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 20:57
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

please do


OG is scoring or assisting every 49 minutes in the premier league
Costa 2nd in every 84 minutes
Kane every 99
Aguero every 104
Zlatan every 109/

no one else from arsenal mentioned

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 21:16
Quote:
Flava

AGooner is a bit of a wind up merchant, isn't he? I think we may have seen them on here under another name. Wouldn't matter if we had Aubameyang or Icardi, we can't defend as a team. Far too many goals conceded

No Im not a wind up and I am new on here. I just think people like you over rate Groud. I'm also fed up with having a striker who has scored no more than 16 leage goals a season for us still being a first team starter. His impact on our attacking play is to slow it down and make it more difficult for us imo. I know people who think he's worse than I do though.

I am entitled to a view the same as you are. And my view is that I dont want to settle for a striker I dont consider good enough.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 21:27
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

Costa
Aguero
Sturridge
Ibrahimovic
Kane
Lukaku
Defoe
Vardy
Alexis
Firminho

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 22:17
Defore lol

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Flava (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 22:57
Quote:
Goofle
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

Costa
Aguero
Sturridge
Ibrahimovic
Kane
Lukaku
Defoe
Vardy
Alexis
Firminho

F.uck me, stop drinking methylated spirits mate

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
De Times (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 23:27
Quote:
younghansolo
Modern Arsenal fans are so spoiled. Every time someone plays up front they expect them to be Thierry Henry.
Giroud scores when the pressure is on, scores out of this world goals and against the top teams. He has single handedly saved our bacon several times this season already. He's a top class footballer. (Not world class though)

I'm bloody glad we have him.
Nothing to say after this.



"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
De Times (IP Logged)
05 January, 2017 23:28
Quote:
Goofle
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

Costa
Aguero
Sturridge
Ibrahimovic
Kane
Lukaku
Defoe
Vardy
Alexis
Firminho
Firminho? Sturridge? Defoe? Even Lukaku? You can't be serious.



"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
MattySadler (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 08:15
Not taking anything away from Giroud, his attitude is spot on, he always responds well to criticism and bounces back, and he's made a big impact for us this season time and time again, but he isn't top class.

Does he need to be top class to be effective though? Quite clearly not. How many team's second choice/ sub strikers are "top class"? I don't know without looking but I wouldn't guess many.

Quote:
De Times
Firminho? Sturridge? Defoe? Even Lukaku? You can't be serious.

You need to watch more football aside from Arsenal.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 10:43
He's a likable good looking fella isn't he!? I'm happy we've got him!



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 10:44
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Nikfonso
Quote:
AGooner
Quote:
kudzif01
Giroud is a good player and I have always liked him,but unless the definition of top class changed he does not qualify as top class.He had just about the same number of goals as Defoe had at freaking Sunderland last season .

This season Defoe has 11 so far to Girouds 6. Defoe is a better all round player as well.

Slightly unfair when Giroud has had only 3 starts and Defoe has started 20 games. So 3 starts, 3 goals and 2 assists.

Let's get it right, OG is not world class but he brings us something no other player does for us. He looks clumsy as @#$%& but most of the time he can hold the ball up pretty well. I'm glad we've got him if i'm honest.

I tell you what though, i'm liking the look of Lucas Perez...

And a fair few penalties in that as well from Defoe.

Giroud is an excellent striker. Top class but short of world class and there's nothing wrong with that.

AGooner is a bit of a wind up merchant, isn't he? I think we may have seen them on here under another name. Wouldn't matter if we had Aubameyang or Icardi, we can't defend as a team. Far too many goals conceded

Amen breadbin!



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 10:46
Quote:
AGooner
Quote:
Flava

AGooner is a bit of a wind up merchant, isn't he? I think we may have seen them on here under another name. Wouldn't matter if we had Aubameyang or Icardi, we can't defend as a team. Far too many goals conceded

No Im not a wind up and I am new on here. I just think people like you over rate Groud. I'm also fed up with having a striker who has scored no more than 16 leage goals a season for us still being a first team starter. His impact on our attacking play is to slow it down and make it more difficult for us imo. I know people who think he's worse than I do though.

I am entitled to a view the same as you are. And my view is that I dont want to settle for a striker I dont consider good enough.

Don't take offense bro, if you put some stats up on here, make sure they're 100% correct otherwise guys on here will eat you for breakfast. I don't mean they are horrible, i just mean there are some die-hard Gooners on here that know pretty much everything about our club and they're not afraid to tell you when you are wrong!



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 11:01
People have different views on what they like in players, the style of play, etc. Insulting people for having a different view from you is a bit immature.

Take Wenger and Mourinho for example. Different styles of play, different players used in different ways, etc. You see it in all areas of life as well, politics being the big one atm.

And I never said Giroud has no redeeming qualities, just that he is not good enough. That means I want a better CF as our first choice (Wenger seems to prefer Giroud to Sanchez atm) who will consistently get 20+ goals in the league a season and aspire to 30 goals in the league. Last season he played in 38 league games, 12 as a sub, and got 16 goals and 6 assists. If he got more assists I would not mind the lower goal tally. He didnt score in February, March or April and improved his stats with a hatrick in the last game of the season that was meaningless which upped his stats a bit.

He doesnt do it when it matters and is not good enough. That is my opinion and if you dont agree, fine, thats up to you. BUt I am not a wum.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Nikfonso (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 11:32
Quote:
AGooner
People have different views on what they like in players, the style of play, etc. Insulting people for having a different view from you is a bit immature.
Take Wenger and Mourinho for example. Different styles of play, different players used in different ways, etc. You see it in all areas of life as well, politics being the big one atm.

And I never said Giroud has no redeeming qualities, just that he is not good enough. That means I want a better CF as our first choice (Wenger seems to prefer Giroud to Sanchez atm) who will consistently get 20+ goals in the league a season and aspire to 30 goals in the league. Last season he played in 38 league games, 12 as a sub, and got 16 goals and 6 assists. If he got more assists I would not mind the lower goal tally. He didnt score in February, March or April and improved his stats with a hatrick in the last game of the season that was meaningless which upped his stats a bit.

He doesnt do it when it matters and is not good enough. That is my opinion and if you dont agree, fine, thats up to you. BUt I am not a wum.

I hear you. I think last season he got over played so mid season he was very tired (Wenger's fault, not him) and to be honest when you have players like Sanchez and Ozil who demand so much of the ball (and rightly so with their caliber) getting assists is pretty tough for OG. If he had a fellow striker up top who he could lay off too, then maybe his assist count would be higher. Someone like Perez could be the man....but that's debate for another day.

As for insults on here, i wouldn't take them personally and yes we are very immature which makes this place hilarious at times, just check out the off topic forum!

But yes mate, it's your opinion so stick to your guns.



http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/911/0rk24g.jpg

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 10:15
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Quote:
Flava
Quote:
Goofle
Giroud isn't Top 10 strikers in the division.

Name 10 better ones then

Costa
Aguero
Sturridge
Ibrahimovic
Kane
Lukaku
Defoe
Vardy
Alexis
Firminho

F.uck me, stop drinking methylated spirits mate

You don't actually think some of those are better? I would have put Slimani and Rashford in there as well. Maybe more.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
younghansolo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 19:28
saves our bacon again.

Thang god we had Giroud this last six weeks.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Flava (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 19:33
Giroud scores almost a goal every other game and doesn't take pens. We play better with a mobile striker but Giroud is excellent.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
07 January, 2017 19:33
Thank God Wenger bothered having a capable striker in the squad.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
nomi_gooner (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 12:27
Giroud is good for his price tag but he is nothing more than a good striker.
He has never scored 20 league goals in his life.
Defoe has scored more than him in the last 18 months.

All of our competitors have got better strikers. (Kane, Lukaku). Our competition is for 4th spot.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
hahanice (IP Logged)
08 January, 2017 15:43
All you keep talking about is production, but based on production alone he is scoring g more goals per minute than anyone I'm the prem. So your argument is invalid. Saying Defoe is better because he's scored 11 goals in 23 starts vs girouds 7 in 6 starts is silly. Really silly actually.

He lacks many other attributes including pace, so if that's your argument thats more understandable.

Oh and he's doing this while the team have been more or less brutal.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 10:55
Defoe plays for SUNDERLAND

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Lewis_198four (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 14:25
We'd be @#$%& without him over the last few seasons.



AFC
RULE!

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 14:26
Quote:
Lewis_198four
We'd be @#$%& without him over the last few seasons.

We still are with him.



http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/th_j9gSgr0b_400x400_zps8kfv0ppy.jpg
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Lewis_198four (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 14:39
Well..



AFC
RULE!

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Merlion96 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 15:07
The France striker, 30, has returned to the side to score four goals in as many appearances.
Giroud's last-minute goal helped beat Preston in the FA Cup third round on Saturday, which came after he netted in stoppage time to secure a dramatic 3-3 comeback draw at Bournemouth.
While still having around a year-and-a-half left on his current deal, the forward hopes to soon tie-up his long-term future with the Gunners.

In an interview with French broadcaster Telefoot, Giroud said: "We are about to reach an agreement for an extension (to my contract).


"It was also a gesture of confidence, I want to continue the adventure here in this family of Arsenal. I feel good here."
Giroud added: "When I spoke to the coach, he always told me that I was an important player.
"I know what I am capable of. I just needed to be patient, to work in training and wait for my hour to come."

[www.dailystar.co.uk]

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 08:49
Quote:
Lewis_198four
We'd be @#$%& without him over the last few seasons.

That's like saying "we'd be sh*t without any centre backs".

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Lewis_198four (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:53
He has done a good job for us, nothing great but he has been good. He's no Ian Wright but I'd have Giroud over adebayor any day.



AFC
RULE!

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 21:26
Adebayor was an infinitely superior footballer. Another that Wenger couldn't manage properly. Should have scored over 100 for the club and been a hero.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
plonky (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 21:35
Quote:
Goofle
Should have scored over 100 for the club and been a hero.

He only played 100 games for us

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Lewis_198four (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 03:35
Would you have Giroud or Rooney?



AFC
RULE!

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
Goofle (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:17
Rooney obviously.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
AGooner (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:51
Preferably neither.

In the summer, if we'd met the valuations, we could have arguably got PEA, Icardi or other decent strikers. Better than both of them.

 
Re: Anyone who says Giroud isn't top class
SandyB (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 17:16
Guys Giroud isn't top striker seriously? Giroud is now one of the top 4-5-1 target man in English league. He wasn't good enough initially but now he's surely top striker.
Costa, Sergio, Ibra, Kane are better than him but Giroud is pretty consistent in bread n butter game. He's matured n at his peak now.



Wenger doesn't need to win anything to sign the ting!!


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?