Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Mustafi
Discussion started by Gunnersingh1 , 01 November, 2016 20:37
Mustafi
Gunnersingh1 01 November, 2016 20:37
Is average, why on earth did we pay 35 mil for him when we could have got Manolas is beyond me.

If Mertesacker made the mistakes he has been making he'd get hammered. Mustafi is making mistakes every single game, he needs to wake up!

Re: Mustafi
AJ The Gunner 01 November, 2016 20:47
when you have jenkinson and Gibbs at the back, a good player is bound to look average cos the balance is extremely weak.
I've learnt not to judge a player whenever Wenger comes up with an extremely weird lineup that is obviously not balanced.

anyone seeing a back line of Kos, Mustafi, Gibbs and jenkinson knows that we are asking for trouble.

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 20:50 by AJ The Gunner.

Merlion96 01 November, 2016 22:27
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Is average, why on earth did we pay 35 mil for him when we could have got Manolas is beyond me.
If Mertesacker made the mistakes he has been making he'd get hammered. Mustafi is making mistakes every single game, he needs to wake up!

Why do you always pounce on every single mistake of Arsenal players?

It is as if you are watching every Arsenal match to prove your delusions are correct.

Gunnersingh1 01 November, 2016 22:31
Mustafi is making mistakes every game, wake up!

Boston Gooner 01 November, 2016 23:19
As he's lost his bravery and agility.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

tigerline 02 November, 2016 01:02
Yes, it was Mustafi's man who scored.
He had him marked.
He got a good jump on reading the free kick.
He had inside position.
He went down to toe poke the ball, but he missed it by no more than an inch.
The ball BARELY cleared over the top of his boot and Cafu side-footed it in.

Ospina stood rooted in place ... helpless.

De Times 02 November, 2016 13:55
Gunnersingh knows nothing about football, it's best to ignore him.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

mapleleafgooner 02 November, 2016 14:43
Quote:
tigerline

Ospina is a great shot stopper but is reluctant to come out to catch the cross. That first goal from Ludogorets could have been avoided if Ospina made the decision to come out and punch the ball rather than stay rooted to his goal line. This is where Cech excels with his handling of crosses under pressure.

tigerline 02 November, 2016 14:51
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
tigerline

Ospina is a great shot stopper but is reluctant to come out to catch the cross. That first goal from Ludogorets could have been avoided if Ospina made the decision to come out and punch the ball rather than stay rooted to his goal line. This is where Cech excels with his handling of crosses under pressure.

Yep. Ospina had an unimpeded path to the ball, but he chose not to go get it. I think that he is aware of his shortcomings in height and wingspan and it affects his decision-making.

OTOH, Cech has started showing some serious cracks in his game, too.
GS is right about him getting beaten regularly by low shots.

It is not an either/or option - they both have holes that weaken our defence.

celine dion 02 November, 2016 18:43
I think you need to give Mustafi longer that 2 months.

I like him because he has aggression. But he is adjusting the league and a new team.

I dont trust any defender Wenger plays but at least he fights a bit which is more than most of Wengers so called defenders.

Gunnersingh1 02 November, 2016 21:29
I don't get where the hype comes with Mustafi, Mertesacker is far better than him.

Merlion96 03 November, 2016 01:05
Mertesacker is
- solid,
- good anticipation,
- good organizer
- and has the muscle to stand up during set-pieces.

Mertesacker is excellent if he is not the last-man and will a quick Koscielny and Bellerin to cover-up for his lack of pace.

Mustafi is
- quick,
- more aggressive than Mertesacker,
- superb in bringing the ball out of defence and driving forward,
- excellent in defending at right-flank and works well with Bellerin.

But Mustafi is now struggling to handle crosses and suddenly, Mustafi-Koscielny pairing is struggling to develop understanding with both of them making 1 or 2 howlers for the last 2 or 3 games.

It is also not fair to judge Mustafi when playing with new team-mates in Gibbs and Jenkinson for the last 2 games; plus worse, Coquelin forgot what he is good at and why he is a starter - providing a shield in front of CB and slot in between CB making use of his quickness and anticipation to break-up plays in front of Back-4.

The reasons why CBs are struggling for last 3 games:

#1 - Kocielny is suffering from a deep in form;
#2 - Struggling to develop understanding with Gibbs and Jenkinson;
#3 - Coquelin fancies himself a box-to-box midfielder like Ramsey and concentrate more on linking up with forwards rather than providing a defensive shield for Back-4.

tigerline 03 November, 2016 02:34
#4 - wenger is not rotating his CBs AT ALL and Kos is now 31 with chronic Achilles tendinitis.

MattySadler 03 November, 2016 07:25
Mustafi is everything that Mertesacker is, but less slow, much more aggressive and with better passing going forward. Even being 6 inches shorter than Mertesacker he's no worse in the air.

The best thing about Mustafi is that, alongside him, Koscielny has comfortably been our best player this season and has been putting in some of his best performances to date.

GS, you're so predictable. I called this weeks ago. Wenger signed Mustafi instead of whichever player you decided we should sign, so immediately you've got a permanent axe to grind. You weren't able to criticise him at first because Mustafi was faultless, so instead you sat silently in the shadows, breathing heavily, notably not making ANY comment about Mustafi at all as you waited for your chance. Mustafi was ALWAYS going to have an iffy spell during his first season. As anyone with two brain cells should know, it can take some foreign players time to adjust to the fast pace of the Premier League. Mertesacker wasn't great during his first season, it took Monreal 18 months to adapt, and we all know it took a while for us to start seeing the best of Ozil. He's made a couple of mistakes, most of which have been to do with him misjudging the flight and/ or bounce of a ball, but he'll be fine. He's been playing in England, in this team, for two months. He's a good player. Face facts, Wenger has found a very good centre back without having to consult Mr. Am Right Am Truly Understand Football. Pathetic.

Gunnersingh1 03 November, 2016 19:06
Mustafi has made mistakes every week; He's slow ( anyone calling him fast is a idiot,) he can't read the game ( as seen in the amount of times he loses his marker from crosses,) he's easy to beat one on one, he's short and not strong enough.

I've seen nothing from him to suggest he's not nothing but average, anyone who thinks he's better than Mertesacker is obviously clueless!

Matty is in meltdown because he knows am right again as usual, poor lass!

Bergmars 03 November, 2016 19:11
Two best CBs Kos and Mustafi no foubt

Under new managment

plonky 03 November, 2016 19:35
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
he's short and not strong enough.

Ospina and Chubby(as a CM) summed up.

Gunnersingh1 03 November, 2016 20:42
Mustafi played a few games for us but he's better than Mertesacker apparently, OK...

Mustafi wasn't rated in Spain and I can see why!

Goofle 04 November, 2016 15:21
He does have a brain fart moment at least once every game.

Ares 04 November, 2016 20:39
We paid too much money to sign him.

Kalela 05 November, 2016 04:05
I wasn't happy with Mustafi and did not want Wenger to sign him as I truly dislike players who are undersized for their position in any sports that I like. With that said Mustafi is a very good player and has been a much better player than any Wenger defender from a recent memory. Even Koscielny is more error prone than Mustafi. Like tiger said above I would like see wenger rotate his defenders from time to time instead of running them into the ground like he does with every player on the team. Holding looks like a really young defender and should be given a chance alongside either Mustafi or Koscielny from time to time.

Jack_is_the_truth 06 November, 2016 11:54
Rotating center backs who are trying to get accustomed to each other is a nonsensical idea

Mustafi has been impressive since he arrived, anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Gunnersingh1 06 November, 2016 14:14
Average.

Boston Gooner 06 November, 2016 14:19
Kos makes the big blunders.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

Gunnersingh1 06 November, 2016 14:21
Kos is overrated too, makes far to many mistakes every season.

Merlion96 06 November, 2016 16:55
C'mon, it's November.
No big deal.

plonky 06 November, 2016 18:25
Rio Ferdinand said he rates him but what does he know.

Gunnersingh1 04 February, 2019 23:23
Greyfox you might enjoy this thread...

Gunnersingh1 21 April, 2019 20:40
Bump!

Bergmars 21 April, 2019 20:54
Disaster from day one big problems ahead with Kos and Nacho past their best and Mistaki or Mavropanos any @#$%& use whatsoever.Elneny has to go and with Ramsey off it will be interesting.

Under new managment

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net