football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Player Ratings vs. Burnley
MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 17:31
Cech - 6. Spectator for most of the game but made two good saves in the second half.

Bellerin - 7. Solid at the back but not the attacking force he has been recently.
Mustafi - 7. Tough battle with Vokes but did well.
Koscielny - 7. "Swept up" while Mustafi engaged Vokes but did well. May have had a "hand" in the winner.
Monreal - 7. Solid defensively, can't recall him doing a great deal offensively.

Cazorla - 6. Kept things ticking nicely but not much of a creative force.
Xhaka - 6. Okay, but just okay.

Walcott - 6. Probably the pick of the attackers. Worked hard and tried to be dangerous and get shots off. Great flick on for Oxlade-Chamberlain/ Koscielny's winner.
Ozil - 5. Often cut a frustrated figure today. Final ball wasn't there.
Iwobi - 5. Alright first half but anonymous second half.

Alexis - 5. The quality link up play we've seen in the last two games just wasn't there today as he struggled to get into the game. Came very close to scoring though.

Subs:

Elneny - 5. Slotted into midfield and passed well.
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 5. Failed to take a couple of crossing opportunities but played a big hand in the winner.

Burnley were tight, organised and disciplined, our front three weren't at their best, and Ozil and Cazorla weren't finding the spaces to exploit. From the off our lack of alternatives on the bench was worrying and, with our lack of creativity on the pitch, it looked like it could be a frustrating evening. Fortunately, in very un-Arsenal like fashion, we were able to win it with a very scrappy goal right at the end of the game.

Mark of champions? That remains to be seen. Much like some of the things being said online after the Chelsea and Basel games, very premature at this stage. There is a lot of football still to be played, but that's another three points on the board. We will need all of our squad if we're going to win anything this season, that's for sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2016 09:53 by Padre Pio.

Re: Player Ratings vs. Burnley
Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 17:34
WORST. RATINGS . EVER

Mustafi was at least a 7.5

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 17:34
When have I ever done .5's Jack?

02 October, 2016 17:37
Hence why your ratings are always the worst EVER

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 17:38
No it was a genuine question, I thought you'd know since you clearly pay so much attention to them!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 18:13
I would make Cech an 8 as he made a couple of brilliant saves, especially one down in lower corner proving he is still agile.
Theo only played for one half and wasnt that good , 5 would be generous let alone 6.

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 18:23
Against defences that sit deep and tight, Theo struggles so it is not a surprise that he didn't play well today even though it was his assist that led to the goal. If not for the deflection off Kos, Ox's attempt would have been over the goal. He has missed from close range before. For such a talented player, it is worrying he can't get his game together.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 18:35
Cech was dreadful, I've never seen a goalkeeper with worse distribution, he kept on kicking it long to Walcott, and he was very lucky with the header against th bar, he has to be getting to that far far quicker.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 18:39
Quote:
Padre Pio
I would make Cech an 8 as he made a couple of brilliant saves, especially one down in lower corner proving he is still agile.
Theo only played for one half and wasnt that good , 5 would be generous let alone 6.

Really? I thought Theo was the pick of our attackers personally. He was about the only one who looked willing to have a shot. Great header for the goal as well.

Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 18:41
Theo was our best attacker, he kept on trying to stretch them, Alexis needs to learn that he's harming the team when he comes deep to try be a playmaker.

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 19:23
Alexis had much more impact on the game than Ozil n both got 5 pts?

MattySadler (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 19:24
Quote:
Indiangooner
Alexis had much more impact on the game than Ozil n both got 5 pts?

Thought all facets of Alexis's game were poor today.

Optimistic Gunner (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 19:41
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
AIf not for the deflection off Kos, Ox's attempt would have been over the goal.

Actually Ox never touch the ball for our goal (this is clearly shown in the close up replay, look out for it on MOTD). Ox kicked Kos's leg instead of the ballm which actually could been why Kos's shot was so high.

http://i.imgur.com/b1SeVpw.png

02 October, 2016 21:19
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Theo was our best attacker, he kept on trying to stretch them, Alexis needs to learn that he's harming the team when he comes deep to try be a playmaker.

It's a waste of time trying to explain football to people that don't even know to accurately rate what they see

The future is now!!!!!!!

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
02 October, 2016 21:38
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
Cech was dreadful, I've never seen a goalkeeper with worse distribution, he kept on kicking it long to Walcott, and he was very lucky with the header against th bar, he has to be getting to that far far quicker.

Worry about you.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dt9c3q.jpg

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 07:20
well teams are going to play like this against us. who would want to give anyone space to exploit?,that's why it @#$%& me off that Theo said during the interview after the Basel game that players (I bet the supposed senior ones in quote) had told Xhaka to stop shooting from distance. so not only does Wenger hate it, the big wage earners don't. well we were lucky against Burnley but that luck will run out soon if we don't practice a mix up between what we are used to and shooting from distance.

by the way, I agree with the ratings.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/2017-09-26_12.35.41.jpg

Willy (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 08:59
Cech's distribution was critiqued on MOTD2 but they were also looking at the lack of players coming short for him. Without that or a target man up top, aiming for flanks is the safe option. Not his fault really. I saw the game and agree with Matty's ratings - perhaps a bit generous to our defenders who were a bit lucky to get another clean sheet.

De Times (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 10:03
Theo, Sanchez, Cech, Bellerin, and Mustafi were our stand-out performers.

"A club is a union between players, supporters and directors". - Wenger.
Arsene wenger has done an absolutely masterful job within the constraints he has... Every single year, he has outperformed our spending every single year he has been manager. It is extraordinary. -Gazides.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 10:26
Alexis was sh*t, Bellerin was nothing special and Cech made two saves. Walcott was most dangerous attacker but Mustafi was my MOTM overall.

03 October, 2016 12:15
Quote:
AJ The Gunner
well teams are going to play like this against us. who would want to give anyone space to exploit?,that's why it @#$%& me off that Theo said during the interview after the Basel game that players (I bet the supposed senior ones in quote) had told Xhaka to stop shooting from distance. so not only does Wenger hate it, the big wage earners don't. well we were lucky against Burnley but that luck will run out soon if we don't practice a mix up between what we are used to and shooting from distance.

what the heck are you babling on about, when did Theo say that they told xhaka to stop shooting

The future is now!!!!!!!

plonky (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 12:40
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Quote:
Gunnersingh1

It's a waste of time trying to explain football to people that don't even know to accurately rate what they see

If we're going down the path of part whole numbers I would prefer fractions to decimal.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 12:49 by plonky.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 13:12
Quote:
plonky

If we're going down the path of part whole numbers I would prefer fractions to decimal.

Thanks in advance.

I will take this into account in future ratings.

03 October, 2016 14:12
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
Quote:
AJ The Gunner

what the heck are you babling on about, when did Theo say that they told xhaka to stop shooting

its like in your schedule of watching and following football if at all you do, you don't pay attention to pre-match and post-match interviews. I mean like watching interviews not just reading it about...
your response to my post just gave you away as ignorant to it... please no abuse, cursing or swearing cos its just my honest observation.

03 October, 2016 14:12
with ratings, its about the way you see a game and ones expectations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 14:15 by AJ The Gunner.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 14:45
We're yet to concede a goal from open play in the four league games that Koscielny and Mustafi have started together.

Against Burnley, Mustafi made six tackles, the most by an Arsenal player in a Premier League game this season.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 21:20
All five of our first team "natural strikers" are currently out injured (Giroud, Welbeck, Lucas, Akpom and Sanogo).

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
03 October, 2016 21:59
So Lucas has settled in quickly then

- until Wenger moves on, they'll always be the also-rans in the major competitions. A club in elite purgatory. Always good enough to make it to the big race, never fast or smart enough to push over the finish line in first place. That's all about the manager. Until he changes, Arsenal fans will continue to celebrate glorious failure.

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 October, 2016 06:05
(Sm6)

MattySadler (IP Logged)
04 October, 2016 14:20
Arsene Wenger and Theo Walcott have been nominated for the Premier League Manager and Player of the Month Awards for September.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net