football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Talks begin to rid Arsenal of the deadwood
eduardo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 21:37
Dortmund chase Bendtner as Wenger prepares Arsenal clear-outBy Sami Mokbel
PUBLISHED: 21:18 GMT, 22 May 2012 | UPDATED: 21:18 GMT, 22 May 2012
Comments (0) Share
Arsenal have opened discussions with a host of clubs over their unwanted stars as they attempt to slash £23million off their wage bill this summer.

Negotiations have already taken place with Zenit St Petersburg over the permanent transfer of Andrey Arshavin, who spent the end of last season on loan at his boyhood club.

Borussia Dortmund are understood to have inquired about striker Nicklas Bendtner, who has returned to Arsenal after his loan spell at Sunderland.
Clear-out: Bendtner (left) and Arshavin (right) had loan spells at Sunderland and Zenit St Petersburg respectively last season
Arsenal are aware of interest from Espanyol in Mexico forward Carlos Vela, who spent last season at La Liga club Real Sociedad, while Bolton have registered an interest in taking Ryo Miyaichi back on loan after his spell last season.

The Gunners are also seeking buyers for Marouane Chamakh, Denilson and Johan Djourou.

It is also understood the club will try to negotiate a contract settlement with Sebastien Squillaci, who has a year left to run on his deal.

Manuel Almunia’s contract expires next month while fellow goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski also wants to leave, with both interesting newly promoted West Ham

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Re: Talks begin to rid Arsenal of the deadwood
Flava (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 21:47
Let it be so. Roll up roll up. Grab yourself a c.unt

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 21:47
Wow...I wonder if Diaby, Wilshere and Sagna are next

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah110/onlyonerockstaar/arsenalsigs2_zps28332df5.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

tigerline (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 22:16
I suppose that the inscrutable Mr. Park will continue to take up a spot on our squad then????

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 22:23
dortmund should be looking for something better than bendter

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 22:27
Quote:
eduardo
The Gunners are also seeking buyers for Marouane Chamakh, Denilson and Johan Djourou.

It is also understood the club will try to negotiate a contract settlement with Sebastien Squillaci, who has a year left to run on his deal.

I would retain Djourou who is a decent squad player and also an Arsenal youth product.

tigerline (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 22:37
Quote:
mapleleafgooner
Quote:
eduardo

I would retain Djourou who is a decent squad player and also an Arsenal youth product.

I tend to agree, but only as a CB - NEVER a fullback again.

of course, this could also mean that we want to make room for vertonghen to join kos, TV, and per - choosing to keep miquel as the fifth CB instead of djourou.

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 22:52
I thought Kroenke had taken over and are getting rid of deadwoods like PHW & Company....

Shane (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 23:01
A lot of the deadwood aren't terrible footballers, they just aren't of the standard we've come to expect at Arsenal.

They'll be in demand, comes down to whether they wanna play football or just pick up the obscene wages we've been giving them and the younger lads will move on.

eduardo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 23:55
By John Cross Comments 22 May 2012 22:30
Gunner be a clear-out: Arsenal trying to offload up to seven stars in bid to free up transfer cash

Nicklas Bendtner, Denilson, Sebastien Squillaci and Johan Djourou could all face the axe to make room for Junior Hoilett, Salomon Kalou, Yann M’Vila and Steven N’Zonzi

Nicklas Bendtner: unwanted Getty
Arsene Wenger will make a push for a giant clear out before pressing ahead with more summer signings.

Arsenal transfer fixer Dick Law is trying to offload Nicklas Bendtner, Denilson, Lukasz Fabianski and Carlos Vela as a priority in the next two weeks.

Bendtner has returned from a loan spell at Sunderland but they do not want to buy him and his most likely destination is Germany.

Fabianski is keen to move on to get regular games while Vela is wanted by Real Sociedad and Espanyol. Denilson is preparing to come back from a loan spell at Sao Paolo and is determined not to be forced into a pay cut from his £50,000-a-week contract.

That is the biggest obstacle facing Arsenal’s clear out although Manuel Almunia - who is on West Ham’s radar - is out of contract and Andrey Arshavin is likely to make his loan move to Zenit St Petersburg permanent.

Sebastien Squillaci: could on be his way out
Getty

Arsenal may also listen to offers for Johan Djourou as they look for a new centre half. The club are hoping to get rid of Sebastien Squillaci even though Spurs appear to have jumped ahead in the race to sign Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen.

Blackburn’s Junior Hoilett, free agent Salomon Kalou, Rennes midfielder Yann M’Vila and Blackburn’s Steven N’Zonzi are all on the radar but Wenger has already insisted they will not spend too much in the market.

David 'Junior' Hoilett: Arsenal target
Getty

Crewe midfield prodigy Nick Powell, 18, is also on Arsenal’s hit-list - they face competition from Chelsea - but any of the bigger deals are only likely to be sanctioned after first signs of progress are made on the clear out.

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

eduardo (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 23:59
Arsenal keen to clear out senior players quickly to make way for fresh blood
Arsenal are prioritising a swift clear-out of peripheral first-team players to release funds for signings.

Target: Rennes midfielder Yann M'vila is wanted by Arsenal after the clear-out Photo: AFP
By Jeremy Wilson
11:00PM BST 22 May 2012
Comment
Although the club have money available, even after the £12 million arrival of Germany striker Lukas Podolski, the size of the squad and the wage bill is an issue that needs addressing. The club are open to offers for as many as 10 senior players, although finding buyers is likely to be difficult, given some of the generous contracts that have been awarded.

Zenit St Petersburg would like to make Andrei Arshavin’s loan deal permanent, while Borussia Dortmund are interested in Nicklas Bendtner. Carlos Vela could move to Espanyol.

Manuel Almunia was among seven players released yesterday and Lukas Fabianski is now desperate for first-team football, with West Ham United a serious option. Arsenal would also listen to offers for Sébastien Squillaci, Johan Djourou, Denilson, Marouane Chamakh and Ju-Young Park.

Yann M’Vila, the Rennes midfielder, remains the club’s leading midfield target, although they do also retain an interest in Athletic Bilbao’s Javi Martinez. Talks have been ongoing over M’Vila.

Additions either to the defence or the strikers will largely depend upon who leaves, with the club still confident that Robin van Persie will stay.

Related Articles
Rivals count cost of Chelsea triumph
22 May 2012
Vieira: club to blame if RVP leaves
18 May 2012
Holland to shield Van Persie from the media
19 May 2012
Hazard 'mulling over offers'
22 May 2012
City release midfielder Hargreaves
22 May 2012
Ibrahimovic staying at AC Milan
22 May 2012

The Arsenal captain is keeping his options while he prepares for Euro 2012 with Holland although Arsenal are adamant that they would be willing to hold the 28-year-old to the final year of his contract.

Arsenal lost their previous captain, Cesc Fabregas, last summer but he is now hoping that history will not repeat itself with Van Persie. “As a fan of Arsenal, nothing would make me happier if he became the first captain to lift a trophy in eight or however many years it is for them,” said Fabregas.

Jack Wilshere, meanwhile, was in Sweden to undergo minor surgery on Tuesday on his knee and Arsenal are still optimistic that he will return for pre-season. “This procedure is not expected to significantly affect Jack’s return date in the summer,” said a club spokesman.

kudzif (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 00:13
Why was the decision ever made to pay these players insane wages? It was sheer madness for wholely unproven guys.The wages are what is going to hinder the clearout.Let's hope the lesson was learnt and no more of this madness

23 May, 2012 01:32
Quote:
kudzif
Why was the decision ever made to pay these players insane wages? It was sheer madness for wholely unproven guys.The wages are what is going to hinder the clearout.Let's hope the lesson was learnt and no more of this madness

Thats Wenger's way to retain potential. Like punting on the lottery. If one in ten turns out to be a Cesc or Wilshere, then I would consider it a great return. Wenger's mistake was to hold on to them for too long. Now he has a hard time getting rid of them at a decent price. Might have to take a loss this summer.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 05:25
Wenger has already insisted he will not spend too much in the market.

Don't expect any quality signings then.

Philly the kid (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 05:44
Wengers window talk Hippo. You should know to ignore these statements matey.

BIGSNOOP (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 05:49
I think I would be tempted to keep the deadwood than buy some of the players on that list. We've got to be thinking bigger than N'zonzi and Kalou.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 05:49
Its all very well trying to get rid I believe we tried last summer no one wanted them,the fact that Sunderland do not want Nik says it all.

DB10,the best.

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 06:51
For f.ck sake sling Walcott on the pile, I'm sure we would get some mug club to off upwards of £15M

[farm5.static.flickr.com]

Baby I was born to MOAN

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 06:53
NOW THIS WILL SURPRISE YOU... I'D KEEP SONG (ON BENCH... I DONT WANT HIM IN MY STARTING ELEVEN)! HE'S A LAZY, DOZY, UNDISCIPLINED GINGER SKUNK OF A MAN!

[farm5.static.flickr.com]

Baby I was born to MOAN

younghansolo (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 08:40
Now this is what I'm talking about!!

Finally, get rid of these overpayed monkeys and bring in some useful squad players and acouple of top starters.

If all this comes to pass we will win something next year I'm certain!

BRING IT

Willy (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 10:46
Denilson on 50K (Sm153)

What the hell? Knew this overpaid squad player biz was bad but that takes the whole pack of biscuits!

flynchstone (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 10:54
If Dortmund are in for Bendtner which is very difficult to imagine we have to try a best-striker-in-the-world-plus-cash for Kagawa swap deal.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 11:06
We will end up loaning most of this dross out again, mark my words.

tigerline (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 12:29
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Right.
And we will continue to carry their fat wages on our backs.

Negligent Roster Management ... will it ever end under wenger the DOPE?

Shane (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 16:11
We don't pay their wages when they're on loan do we?

How can Sunderland just have Bendtner for a year totally free of charge? Surely they pay his wages and Sao Paulo pay Denilson etc.

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 16:13
I would hazard a guess they were only paying a percentage of their wages because they are over paid c.rap lets face it.

Spuds were only paying £70k of Adebarndoor's wages believe it or not, City were paying the other £100k.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 16:17
True, though Man City wage inflation and Arsenal wage inflation are two very different things.

We don't know for sure because the details aren't released as far as I know but BD is probably right, we might still pay some of their wages.

Emphasis on some though. I would have to imagine most of it (if not all) is covered by the loan club.

23 May, 2012 16:55
Quote:
BootyDaddy

Well if Wenger is serious about clearing house, he should be prepared to take a loss on those fringe players. After all he made the mistake of over paying them when other teams do not value those players the same way Wenger did. Wenger made a mistake - so he has to take the medicine.

weedz (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 20:29
Quote:
BootyDaddy
I would hazard a guess they were only paying a percentage of their wages because they are over paid c.rap lets face it.
Spuds were only paying £70k of Adebarndoor's wages believe it or not, City were paying the other £100k.

Goes to show how insane the whole football/sports marketplace is. This should never be allowed in a sporting competition, as manipulates the competition

IMO no player, owed by one club, should play for another club in that same competition.

Imagine ManCity owning every player in the Arsenal 1st team. Does that sound right to you?

Arsenal are going to win a BIG trophy this season.
Mrs Weedz told me

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:08
I don't understand why we have to get rid of anyone before we buy, we are cash rich in upwards of £400 million sitting in our greedy board's reserves waiting for them to extract it once the share price goes higher and they have finished asset striping my great club because since 2005 we they have been executing a plan that you don't have the courage to ask questions about and only go about your day believing everything the board says and puts out there as the truth, you don't want to be wrong and therefore you are afraid and blinded by what is hitting you dead in your face.

your truly
-robot

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah110/onlyonerockstaar/arsenalsigs2_zps28332df5.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
23 May, 2012 23:38
(Sm22)

Hahaha

I'm guessing when you were asked what you wanted to be when you grew up you said "anything where credibility and integrity and honesty aren't requirements".

Well at least you achieved that goal.

Philly the kid (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 07:24
Erm, i think he's sarcastically pretending to be you Radio.
From where i'm sitting, you've just questioned your own credibility, integrity and honesty!!
(Sm149)

crumps (IP Logged)
24 May, 2012 08:11
Fabianski - sell for 1/2m - have some sort of add on e.g.15% of next trasnfer (15 wage)

Mannone - 500k (5k wage)

Shea - (couldnt break into dagenham and redbridge 1st team) realease him (1k wage)

Squillaci- 500k (40k wage)

Djourou - 3m plus add ons (50k wage)

Denilson - 2/3m plus add ons (40k wage)

Lansbury (sadly will not be given a chance) - 1m - plus add ons (5k wage)

Vela - 2/3m plus add ons (30k wage)

Arshavin - 4m (70k wage)

Bendtner - 3/4m plus add ons (40k wage)

Chamakh - 2/3m plus add ons (50k wage)

Park - 2/3m plus add ons (30k wage)

I dont think anyone would mind if we got rid of this lot - the challenge is to find a club to buy them - we shouldnt be tight in our negotating and be prepared to make a loss on some of these signings - the key thing is we get them off the wage list

Players like almunia have already gone which means £50,000 comes off the weekly wage - we should be automatically adding that extra £50,000 onto RVP weekley wage!!!!!!

the figures that i have said would make arsenal around £22m with £376,000 off the weekley wage which is worth £19,552,000 a year!!

Thats around an EXTRA £40m budget to add to whatever the budget is for the transfers and wages which should be around £40-50m

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net