football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Arsene's worse team for 15yr tops Spurs best team for 50yr
Arsenal Times (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 19:15
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/05/2012 10:58 by Padre Pio.

Re: Arsene's worse team for 15yr tops Spurs best team for 50yr
Beyond (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 19:52
19 points behind man city, struggled to win 3rd place and no trophies again. I rest my case.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 20:08
Good post.
And as you say lots and lots of work to be done yet even before we can consider ourselves a top club.

Most of us go on about the defence on here at times. Well today proved why.
We were bloody terrible.
This problem has gone on so long now that you have to ask why Wenger hasn't sorted it out. Or indeed he can.

Without our man of the match Fulop things would have been a lot different today.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

Flava (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 20:34
It's not really their best team for 50 years though, is it? I'm sure I remember them coming third a couple of times when Hoddle was there.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 20:49
Its a bit tongue in cheek, but some of the press were claiming that, the balance of power had shifted, that they could win the league, that they would finish higher than us etc. It was all bigged up so according to their logic it had to be best team in 50 years.
Of course it was tosh and so it has been proved

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

Arsenal’s not a football club it is the one true religion Milton Palmer

Flava (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 20:56
They were indeed Padre and they believed it. As did I for a long while.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 21:12
I always believed we wouldnt win league, but I never believed that they would.
We shouldnt get too cocky we only took them by 1 pt, and if Foster had been playing we might not have scored 3 goals

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

celine dion (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 21:15
last time they came ahead of us was 1987 I think, the season Clive Allen got about 90 goals. Waddle and Hoddle at their absolute height.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 21:38
How does that team of 25 years ago compare with this lot?
Also press were doing all this before we beat them 5-2 which sent them into spin

celine dion (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 21:40
the 87 team was very very decent. Won at Anfield if i remember rightly, which nobody every did. But it broke up when Hoddle went to Monaco a year later.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 21:49
When was Ossie Ardilles and Villa?

By the way this had over 5000 hits already, corny titles are the best

13 May, 2012 21:56
Nice one Padre. Really awful defending by us and difficult to pinpoint where the problem lies. Back 5 and the 2 CM's all equally culpable. Only Benny seemed to understand how to control the game when we were ahead. Thank God for the lucky 13 in goal for WBA. Anyhow get the Brasso out we've got a trophy to polish.

Celine, wasn't that THFC's first win at Anfield in about 80 years?

HappyGööner (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 22:03
Quote:
19 points behind man city, struggled to win 3rd place and no trophies again. I rest my case.

Yes, this was Arsenal's worst season under Wenger. But we still finish 3rd, we're in the champions league for the 15'th consecutive year, and our worst season was better than the tiny tots best season as it was stated. I rest my case.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 22:11
Well we have finished 4th so that might be worse, but a very poor defence, and lack of goals from midfield

celine dion (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 22:16
The 87 team had an old Ardiles in it but not Villa. Team was, if i remember Mabbet, Mitchell Thomas, Danny whatsit who got his cheek broken by Fashanu, Roberts, Hodge, Waddle Hoddle Paul and Clive Allen, Nico Claesen the spotty Belgian, Clemence in goal. Waddle was the standout player in my book, used to score from 30 yards every other game. Yes JSL i think you are correct there.

eduardo (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 22:25
it was mabbutt who got his cheekbone shattered by fash

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Merlion96 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2012 17:18
Quote:
celine dion
The 87 team had an old Ardiles in it but not Villa. Team was, if i remember Mabbet, Mitchell Thomas, Danny whatsit who got his cheek broken by Fashanu, Roberts, Hodge, Waddle Hoddle Paul and Clive Allen, Nico Claesen the spotty Belgian, Clemence in goal. Waddle was the standout player in my book, used to score from 30 yards every other game. Yes JSL i think you are correct there.

thought Tiny Totts finished ahead of us in 1995?

celine dion (IP Logged)
14 May, 2012 18:49
Ed I was thinking of Danny Thomas who played about half the Spurs league games in 1987. He got a terrible knee injury, I cant remember who from, I think it was a Wimbledon player. But yes, it was Mabbet who got his cheekbone broken.

eduardo (IP Logged)
14 May, 2012 19:02
maybe celine you are thinking of garry reilly whose knee vinny jones smashed

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

salisbury69 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2012 22:22
If the defence is not sorted out, we will get anywhere near third next year. We have got away with it once, it will not happen again. And as for Gervinho, what a great spot by AW. Maybe he is losing his ability to spot an unpolished gem. And I wondered why no other clubs went in for him..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net