football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Liverpool owners end mega spending
eduardo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2012 22:44
By Alan Nixon of the mirror

7 Comments 10 May 2012 22:31
Dalglish stays: Liverpool boss won't be axed... but his budget will

Kop's American owners have decided to end the mega-spending and seek bargains and Bosmans after missing out on the Champions League

Paying the price: Dalglish won't have much to spend after failing to deliver top four finish Clive Brunskill
Liverpool are ready to let Kenny Dalglish carry on as manager - but with a vastly-reduced budget for signings.

The Kop chief spent £108million on just six players, including Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson, in 2011.

But it has been made clear to him that those days are over and he has now started to seek bargain signings instead - including free agents.

Dalglish delivered the Carling Cup in February and got to the FA Cup Final but failed to qualify for the Champions League, despite that huge outlay.

The club's American owners, Fenway Sports Group, have decided to rein in the huge spending - a move which could actually benefit Dalglish, who is now more likely to give some of last year’s big-name signings a second crack at proving themselves rather than sign replacements.

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Re: Liverpool owners end mega spending
Rockstaar (IP Logged)
10 May, 2012 23:28
I can't stand all these greedy board and rich owners not wanting to spend money to improve the team

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah110/onlyonerockstaar/arsenalsigs2_zps28332df5.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
10 May, 2012 23:46
The problem is our Board is too Greedy to pay those Bosmans too..

But really there is more than one way to skin a cat and your usual distortion of fact and reeality to defend the Board's right to cheat suppoerters because you love making proofit and mayone who makes profit no matter how they do it above anything else as far as I can see doesn't cut it here at all.

It doesn't matter what options there are the Board don't want to utilize them And they won't so long as Gooners like you will let them get away with it.

the point is we could have signed plenty of bosmans and saved significant money but improved the team and clearly the Board did not want that. If they did and the manager diidn't want to he would be out at any club any club with aspirations* as you yourself have said

* - Aspirations beyond lining its owners pockets anyway.

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 01:40
Wenger will have one more competitor for the basement deals.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 02:21
Its the american way to funnel money out of the clubs and bleed them dry..Man U, Arsenal and now Liverpool

if you noticed that after 2005 the direction of the owners have changed to straight greed and asset stripping. There is no reason that the owners shouldn't invest £100million every year even if they have take it from their other businesses

the supporters are just blind to these greedy owners...who don't care about success anymore, only profit!

we should all gather online to fight this f.ckery

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah110/onlyonerockstaar/arsenalsigs2_zps28332df5.jpg

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 03:09
was only a matter of time that this happened... u can overspend only so much without CL...

and wld ppl still want us to miss CL since we hv no chance of winning it and be happy with a league cup or a FA cup and a lower place finish

11 May, 2012 03:25
You should gatherr online to be a c.unt. Oh wait you already are doing that. Even your attempts at humour end up as displays of how big a c.unt you are

If you were genuinely clever perhaps you might be genuinely sarcastic and humourous but I suspect that when you as genuinely c.untish as you show yourself to be it's just a bridge too far to try to pretend you are anything else - especially clever.

And so you know that was not me attempting to be clever or sarcastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 03:27 by RadioFreeArsenal.

11 May, 2012 03:38
Indian to be fair I don't think anyone has said they would be happy to see us miss the CL just to win a cup.I know inm the stickied thread some have suggested that they believe that by missing the CL and sacking the manager we would be able to gauge the Club's ambition after that which is some of the most ass-backward logic I have ever seen but other than Celine really I cannot think of anybioody who has said better to win a lesser trophy and miss the Champions League than just go trophyless and and make the Champions legue.

I think most Gooners think it would be better to win a trophy and make the Champions League and do not subscribe to the view that making the Champions League alone is really satisfactory in our recent arc of history covering a quarter of a century under George Graham as well of course as Arsene Wenger. From 1986-2005 we won thirteen trophies and piut soemof the finest Arsenal teams ever on the pitch on an average annual spend of 2 million pounds a year less than half what get ready - Denilson - cost.

And let's not forget if you invets in being a top two side its more likely you will be and that will automatically take care of the CL require ment and stll increase your chances to win a trophy. Investing in securing third or fourth not only decreases the odds of a trophy significantly but also puts you closer to where we are now and have been a few times since 2005 but never were from 1998-2005

11 May, 2012 04:09
Btw the Boston Red Sox owmed by the Same Fenway Group as Liverpool F.C now have been very good and aggressive in the Free Agent - i.e. Bosman - Market. It's a fairly big part of them winning two World Series the last decade after not winning any for 90 years.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 06:24
So would you rather win four FA Cups in the next six years and no CL during that time or would you rather be trophyless for the next six years?

Football's about winning trophies not finishing third or fourth every year.

De Times (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 08:17
Stop talking four or six years hippo, the real question is would you rather swap our position for liverpool's?

crumps (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 08:30
Man Utd wont be far away - once fergie resigns they will use the next manager as a scapegoat while they try and cut spending

the problem is fergie knows it and thats why he has no plans to retire and just uses his new battle with citeh as his reason to stay in charge of united

Bergmars (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 09:06
Why would someone spend a kings ransom on a sporting entity on another continent that they have no interest in other than as an investment.
No brainer they are here to make money.

DB10,the best.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 09:11
Hoilett will be a great signing for them when they get him (*and they will)

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 12:19
Quote:
Why would someone spend a kings ransom on a sporting entity on another continent that they have no interest in other than as an investment.
No brainer they are here to make money.

So is every other owner in the sports business mate, make no mistake about that

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 12:26
but it is the greed since 2005 that has changed the sport. The owners are more concerned with asset striping and profit so everyone on here will continue to be blind and run around like sheep whilst these owners get richer and richer

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/8159/smithmatrxpn7.jpg

hippogunner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:28
Rockstaar have you turned into Radio? I get the joke, not sure everyone else does.

De Nial, what the f*ck has Liverpool got to do with anything? I might as well ask you if you'd swap positions with Chelsea.

They've won four FA Cups in six years. I'd sacrifice six years of CL partaking for four FA Cups in the next six years. Would you?

It's a simple question open to anyone?

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:31
What do you get when you buy mid table players? Mid table.

Philly the kid (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:43
Hippo you wum.
Would you swop with Liverpool THIS season?
Being as the 7 years previous have led us all to today, your arguement is sounding weaker and weaker.

De Times (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:44
I wouldnt hippo, they play in a midtable club stadium, and don't have a great youth system so would need to keep spending hundreds of millions every year to hang on to the top. They spend more than 150m on transfers in just over a year and are finishing 6th in the league.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:54
Thank you De Nial, you actually answered the question.

I'm not interested in Liverpool. They've spent a lot of money and it hasn't worked out although they did win a trophy. And made another final.

But hey they didn't qualify for the CL. Neither have we yet.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 13:59
Are we ever going to think about winning the league again?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/cutmypic.png

Bergmars (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 14:05
No.

DB10,the best.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 14:08
I'll second that Bergy.

I'm not sure we'll ever think about anything but qualifying for the CL every year. It's like we're slowly being brainwashed. Some of us are fighting it but so many believe partaking in a competition we can't win is actually better than winning a trophy.

11 May, 2012 14:12
Shame so few of us think it's possible more to the point.
We're not that far from being up there.

tigerline (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 14:12
Quote:
karsene16

not with wenger here ... never again with him here.

that clown is singing his own praises today ... for being in third place.

It should be tearing a hole in his gut that we are currently NINETEEN POINTS behind the two manchester clubs. We have been out of competing for the league title for the ENTIRE SEASON.

wenger made sure that we never had a chance.
unforgiveable wastefulness and incompetence.

11 May, 2012 14:36
Quote:
De Times
Stop talking four or six years hippo, the real question is would you rather swap our position for liverpool's?

Actually DeTimes the real question is would you want to swap our position now for our postion from 1998-2005? Especially given how the longer things go on and the more we find out the more the Club's claims of why we did what we did look like pure lies and deceptions.

Remember we did this to be more financially competitive with Man United. They didn't say they meant in 20 years or longer from now as now seems to be what the Club has hinted at and certainly Arsene Wenger has suggested did they when they sold us on this. Nor did they mention picking up 400 million pounds for themselves while making us even less competitive with United financially did they?

And don't even try to bring up Chelsea or City. Have we been more competitive financially with Man United is all that matters since that is what we were promised by those we trusted as custodians of the Club. So I will ask you have we? Yes or no. Have we spent more competitively on the transfer market? Yes or no? Have we paid our top players more competitively? Yes or No?

Those questions matter because the most important question has been answered - we would swap our position atop English Football and well up the ladder in Europe as well for were we are now because that is exactly what we chose by supporting the policies of the Board. Have we gotten any of what we promised in return?.

It's amazing how the Club assumed all of the risk, and the supporters sacrificed all of their hopes and dreams and the Board has collected virtually all of the reward after giving up as little as humanly possible and people still happily defend as honourable gentlemen and women whose sole motivation in any of this is purely the best interests of the Club they love just as we do. Amazing really. I guess the 400 million were just loyalty bonuses.

It's funny how many Gooners point out no other club would tolerate this sort of decline without action on the manager without realizing no other group of supporters would defend a Board that has so nakedly taken advantage of their loyalty to or trust in their Club and its owners. Remarkable really that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 14:56 by RadioFreeArsenal.

11 May, 2012 14:39
Stop condemning the man. None of us truly know it's even his fault FFS!!!

younghansolo (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 14:40
ahhh man anyone remmeber Smith on here? The ultimate troll

tigerline (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 14:47
Quote:
Philly the kid
Stop condemning the man. None of us truly know it's even his fault FFS!!!

Stop defending the man. None of us truly know if he can admit to anything ever being his fault.

11 May, 2012 14:55
Quote:
tigerline
Quote:
karsene16

not with wenger here ... never again with him here.

that clown is singing his own praises today ... for being in third place.

It should be tearing a hole in his gut that we are currently NINETEEN POINTS behind the two manchester clubs. We have been out of competing for the league title for the ENTIRE SEASON.

wenger made sure that we never had a chance.
unforgiveable wastefulness and incompetence.

Funny thing is even by your logic which I think is flawed the people runninmg the club and taking in all the money have found a way to fogrive it, and so long as we ignore that we can only expect more fo the same under this or any other manager.

My old man has customers overcharges and has done in some cases for decades. It's why it got out of business with him some time back. Not only was it wrong on priciple but the over-the-top customer service he provided to those customers undermined expanding our customer base and overall profitability as well as customer service to our existing customer base as a whole. I wanted us to make a larger profit whilee taking better overall care of all of our customers and increasing the base of customers we had. Everybody wins really.

Anyway the point is the only reason he really gets away with it is because of that over-the-top customer service as well as a lack of interest by those customers in reviewing the costs he charges. We don't even get that over-the-top service here. Like say winning a few trophies. Or at least making a sincere effort to do so.

11 May, 2012 15:07
Quote:
hippogunner
Rockstaar have you turned into Radio

That's NOT funny, mate. It's flat insulting to me...hahaha

Now that I have taken the @#$%& I'll answer your question.

That shouldn't be a choice we have to make. If you look at 1998-2005 we won seven trophies and could have won and should have won another three or four and did all that while making the Champions League every year of that run. Indeed but for some cheating by Blackburn the final day of the 97 season our CL run would date back to 1997.

So I don't think that if we simply used more of the resources at the Club's disposal that that would be the choice we had to make at all at any point. Indeed from 1998-2005 the choice most commonly bandied about was would you rather win the Premiership or the Champions League? Another was would you rather win the Champions League or do the Double? Those are the kinds of choices you have when you show the ambition necessary.

That this is our choice now is a sad indication that we made a very bad mistake just trusting the Club's Custodians about the direction they were taking Arsenal. Most of us anyway. Some relaized as far back as 05 that we ought to be a bit more curiouser at least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net