Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Wenger - We’re used to final-day deciders
Posted by: karsene16 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 15:51

[www.arsenal.com]

By Rob Kelly

Arsène Wenger says he is confident his side will use their experience to help them stay relaxed during a tense final match of the season.

Arsenal travel to West Bromwich Albion on Sunday knowing that victory would secure them third place and automatic Champions League qualification.

Wenger says that his side have the know-how to cope with the pressure and do what is required of them at the Hawthorns.

“We have known final days like this before. Games where we've played for championships, or to qualify for the Champions League,” he said.

“It's a fantastic opportunity for us that we want to take. We are used to coping with that.

“At the end of the day, it's playing football. If we have more of the ball than West Brom, we'll have more chances to win the game. That's what we'll focus on. Just be faithful to the way we want to play football.”

Despite failing to capitalise on the chance to secure third spot in recent weeks, Wenger insists he is pleased his side have their fate in their own hands.

“Three months ago, everybody would be happy to go into the final game [in this position],” he said.

“The Premier League is difficult. We came from a deep position in the league but, if you look at the way we've been to be where we are today, I think it's remarkable.”

[www.arsenal.com]-

‘I will try not to listen to other matches’

By Rob Kelly

Arsène Wenger says he will try not to focus on the results in the matches involving Arsenal's top-three rivals on the final day of the season.

The Gunners go into Sunday’s clash at West Bromwich Albion knowing that a win would secure them third place and automatic Champions League qualification. However, any slip-up could see them punished by Tottenham, who host Fulham, or Newcastle, who travel to Everton.

But Wenger says he wants his side to take control of their own destiny and not rely on anyone else.

“It can happen that we will have to look [at other results] but normally I never do that,” he said. “We want to win our game and if we do that we don’t need to listen to anybody.

“You cannot predict what will happen. Fulham is a London derby [for Tottenham], they are a good team. Unfortunately there is no easy match in this league.”

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

Re: Wenger - We’re used to final-day deciders
Posted by: RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 17:34

That's as dodgy a comment as I have heard in some time.

I mean our last real last-day decider was 2006 v Wigan on the final day at Highbury - and just how many players from that squad are in this one now? That's being charitable as I suspect maybe one player was in the first eleven that day in VanPersie. That day was about so much and so much about Thierry Henry it's hard to remember if Robin played. My guess is he was out hurt.

So that's at best a nothing comment really. I mean wasn't Pat Rice at Anfield in 89 and at he played at WHL in 70 - is that what he meant?

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 18:27

We shouldn't need a final-day decider.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

Anyone seen Wenger,http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr283/FLCL/0003.gif

Posted by: flynchstone (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 18:30

In all fairness I know we should have clinched it by now but I know I would have bitten someone's hand off to be in this situation after the 0-0 at Bolton.

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 19:00

And if Spurs hadnt eat that Lasagne we sent them we might not have won that decider

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will show the same drab movie for a decade.

Nothing will change except the ticket prices

Kroenke & Wenger are made for each other.

Arsenal’s not a football club. It’s just a business. Myles Palmer

Date: 10 May, 2012 19:25

Too True Padre - but makes the whole story all the more spectacular no?

Date: 10 May, 2012 19:41

Yes I wonder what we are sending them this time

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will show the same drab movie for a decade.

Posted by: flynchstone (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 19:57

William Gallas

Date: 10 May, 2012 20:12

Won't he have gone bad by now?

Date: 10 May, 2012 20:44

Yes he has been a bit off

Date: 10 May, 2012 21:08

Cue Peter Storey

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 23:32

Quote:
Padre Pio
And if Spurs hadnt eat that Lasagne we sent them we might not have won that decider

Nope.
If not for David Dein objecting streneously that the match cannot be postponed on "medical grounds"....

Posted by: BIGSNOOP (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 23:51

Time for Ivan to earn his paycheck??

Posted by: Beyond (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 06:13

It's a waste that wenger is not a comedian

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net