Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
‘We are nowhere near to buying anybody’
Posted by: karsene16 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 14:47

[www.arsenal.com]-

By Joe Brewin

Arsène Wenger insists he is “nowhere near” to signing a player at the moment.

The Frenchman has moved quickly to acquire the services of Cologne striker Lukas Podolski and has been linked with moves for several other high-profile stars.

But Wenger has distanced himself from speculation surrouding one of those reported targets, Rennes midfielder Yann M’Vila.

“It's not true, [there is no interest] at the moment,” said Wenger.

“We have not been in touch with anybody, we have not made any offer to anybody and we are nowhere near to buying anybody at the moment. We are focused on our final game of the season.”

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

Re: ‘We are nowhere near to buying anybody’
Posted by: tigerline (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 14:52

Good Answer.

Right now, it is ALL about beating west brom.

Posted by: Rockstaar (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 14:59

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 15:25

..menaing...not even closed to signing Vertonghen then..(Sm6)

Posted by: younghansolo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 15:55

If he's not on the phone making deals the SECOND the final whistle goes, I will be @#$%&. No time to @#$%& about this season. No waiting to see if jack will be fit for august or Diaby, just ever. Just go in and get the deals done.

Posted by: Shane (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2012 17:04

Yep that's it.

Get your business done early, find out where Van Persie stands then sell him or extend his contract, then you can spend the summer going down David Dein's slide (not a euphemism) and watching the Euro's.

Surely he must've learnt from last summer in that respect.

Posted by: gunnersingh (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 02:04

YHS and Shane, Wenger said this after signing Podolski.

“Now we are in a position where the second part of our signings will be to take care of the players who are injured and to get them back for the start of next season.

“I think of course about Jack Wilshere, and about Abou Diaby. Per Mertesacker I think will be ready at the start of next season. Then, if you look at our squad, we have quite a big one and before we buy again we have to look at how many players we will have.

Posted by: RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 05:23

I would say that we should focus on Sunday obviously but these comments hardly inspire real confidence in what the club is actually attempting to do something to improve this side.

Again I can't help but think back when we signed Riosciky before the World Cup and rumpurs abounded of more signings and in the end there were none and again we relased more quality than we brought in.

If that happens again we have to act because we cannopt allow the greed of the previous supposed custodians nor the new custodain to set this club back any further and if that is how this summer plays anyone who suggests that is not what is going will be proven to be lying to themselves.

They are only too happy to let us turn on Arsene Wenger so long as that distracts us from addressing the real issues and only too happy to keep us confused as to what their actuial motives are, what the actual policies are and who has actually set them.

Posted by: De Times (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 07:27

I think we have enough players, we don't need vertoghen or M'villa at the moment unless we sell some players which for the first time in a long time look highly unlikely. Our defence is complete, our midfield is complete especially with the youngsters providing depth, and we have enough strikers. The only place we need to add more quality and depth is in the wide areas or on the wings especially considering that we're going to let go of arshavin and benayoun - two experienced captains of their national teams. I havnt really seen M'villa but from what people say about him i don't think he's any different from Frimpong.

Posted by: hippogunner (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 07:40

Our defence is complete. God help us for next season then.

Posted by: De Times (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 09:07

How many players do you need in defence mate?
Vermaelen
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Djorou
Sagna
Santos
Gibbs
Jekinson
Coquelin
Miguel
10 players are enough for me.

Posted by: scooterboy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 09:38

Quote:
De Times
Vermaelen
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Djorou
Sagna
Santos
Gibbs
Jekinson
Coquelin
Miguel

The problem here for me is the back ups are not good enough at present.

Vermaelen - good first team player
Mertesacker - proven international although maybe a little slow
Koscielny - much improved first team player
Djourou - a liability
Sagna - good first team player but injured
Santos - not always great defensively
Gibbs - injury prone
Jenkinson - inexperienced/unproven at highest level
Coquelin - inexperienced/unproven at highest level
Miguel - inexperienced/unproven at highest level

By my reckoning we have 3/4 solid first teamers there and we are then in trouble if we pick up more than 1 injury (which happens alot to us for some reason)I would certainly be happier if we added at least Vertonghen into the mix.

Posted by: younghansolo (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 10:08

Sick of people talking about numbers. I couldn't give a rat's ass if we have the enitre chinese army under contract if they're all rubbish it doesn't help!

Wenger is either being a dick (again) or is deliberitely misleading the media (again.)

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 13:53

Quote:
De Times
Vermaelen
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Djorou
Sagna
Santos
Gibbs
Jekinson
Coquelin
Miguel

Don't we have about 60 or 70 players on our books.
And we still can't make a great team.
It's not the number of players its the quality of them what aren't good enough.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

Anyone seen Wenger,http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr283/FLCL/0003.gif

Posted by: Rockstaar (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 14:08

(Sm22)(Sm142)

YHS! the entire chinese army under contract..classic, I wish I had time to make a sig for that

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5066/verminator2.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

Posted by: hippogunner (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2012 14:23

Quote:
Boston Gooner
Quote:
De Times
Vermaelen
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Djorou
Sagna
Santos
Gibbs
Jekinson
Coquelin
Miguel

Don't we have about 60 or 70 players on our books.
And we still can't make a great team.
It's not the number of players its the quality of them what aren't good enough.

Exactly. Has anyone not noticed the crazy amount of goals we've conceded? Hardly any of our defensive players are actually any good at defending.

Posted by: zombiez (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2012 15:34

Quote:
De Times
Vermaelen
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Djorou
Sagna
Santos
Gibbs
Jekinson
Coquelin
Miguel

Id add Vertoghen in the list. He's versatile.

Posted by: Philly the kid (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2012 15:41

Exactly. If all our players were so versatile, we wouldn't need 10 of them.

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2012 16:24

The problem is that they seem to have a pact with Lady Luck to get injured in clusters. (Sm6)

Out of 10, we usually ended up with only 4 of fit in any period of the season..never all of 'em fit at any one time.

Posted by: Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2012 21:46

Quote:
De Times
I think we have enough players, we don't need vertoghen or M'villa at the moment unless we sell some players which for the first time in a long time look highly unlikely. Our defence is complete, our midfield is complete especially with the youngsters providing depth, and we have enough strikers. The only place we need to add more quality and depth is in the wide areas or on the wings especially considering that we're going to let go of arshavin and benayoun - two experienced captains of their national teams. I havnt really seen M'villa but from what people say about him i don't think he's any different from Frimpong.

you are wenger

Posted by: tigerline (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2012 21:57

Quote:
Big Guhnz
Quote:
De Times

you are wenger

Come on, Guhnz, De Times might be sort of outrageous in some of his postings, but there is really no reason to insult him like that.

Date: 12 May, 2012 22:18

...Evidently, *quality* of wits is more important than *quantity*....

from I, Claudius by Thomas Graves as spokes by the fifth Caesar, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, more genrally known as the novel title suggests as Claudius.

I think the same could be said here. Our mission should not simply be to have a acceptable number of players DeTimes, but an acceptable number of players of acceptable quality.

In 2004 we had only 22 players who played in the Premiership all season long. But they were of superior quality almost to a man. Two of those players only made one or two Premiership appearances, and three more made fewer than ten appearances. And one player who made over ten appearances in the League only joined the side in January

The Invincbles were in effect a corps of fifteen players almost an pre-squad era side. But they were sixteen players of such individual and collective quality that indeed they were a sufficently sized squad because they stayed largely healthy..

So again quality should come before quantity in satisfactorily analyzing any side. Or at the very should go hand-in-hand and I don't think there is anybody who can compare the 2004 side and this side and come to the conclusion that that is in fact the case DeTimes in your analysis.

Date: 12 May, 2012 22:29

Quote:
Merlion96
The problem is that they seem to have a pact with Lady Luck to get injured in clusters. (Sm6)
Out of 10, we usually ended up with only 4 of fit in any period of the season..never all of 'em fit at any one time.

Sorry Merl but this is just a red herring. Go ahead and have a look at the 2001-2002 and the appearances of the players in it. Better still check out the Season Review as well.

2002 was worse than any year since 2005 for injuries full stop.

It was so bad that we -

- had three keepers qualify for Champions Medals at Seasons's end

-had two players named Premiership footballer of the year and neither was named Thierry Henry or Patrick Vieira

- had Igors Stepanovs our fifth choice central defender play a critical part in our run-in as he was part of a defence that kept five straight clean sheets as we overtook Man U and Liverpool

- won the Premiership on the home of the three-time defending Chamopions without Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires, Tony Adams, or Denis Bergkamp on the pitch. Seriously - thin ofk about that a moment. We won the Premiership without five our best ever players in the side that night(Bergakamp was an unused substitute)

So yes we have had an awful time with injuries since 2005 but your attenmpt to aply that alone has denied us silverware at any point is just ridiculous really.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net