football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wenger after game comments - Stoke
eduardo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 21:08
on the performance...
I believe that it was a game where we have shown great character, great battling qualities. It was a game of two different approaches - one very direct in the air and one who tries to play on the ground. Both teams are good at what they do and that's why I think it was still an interesting game. We had good chances, especially in the first half. In the second half I felt our fluency dropped a bit in midfield - we still had chances though, especially a penalty that was not given. Overall we deserved at least a point and I can only give credit to my players for their battling qualities and the way they responded to what Stoke offered us - full commitment, well-organised, direct. We did not always cope with it but today I felt we did.

on the penalty claim…
It will go on the tape of all the penalties we have not got this season.

on Stoke spending time on set-pieces…
You are used to it. I was frustrated at times but that happens in every game because I am completely in the game. I was sometimes frustrated but not surprised.

on jeers for Aaron Ramsey…
I don't think you can be especially proud to boo Aaron Ramsey because I don't see what he has done wrong in his behaviour. That's an old story where the fans of Stoke stand behind their player. But it shouldn't go as far as booing Aaron Ramsey.

on Newcastle's defeat...
The good result we got was that Newcastle dropped points today but for us it is important to win our next two games. Anything less will not do it [guarantee third place].

on sharpness in the final third...
In the first half we had the chances but we lacked something. It is more about belief because recently we didn't score so many goals - we didn't score against Chelsea last week. Maybe it is linked with belief.

on Chamakh's future…
He did well. Nothing is definite at the moment. At the end of the season I think you will have big surprises because there will not be a lot of movement in football.

on his relationship with the Stoke fans…
They have a relationship with me but I don't have one with them! They do [enjoy my visits] but I personally have enough experience to cope with that [criticism]. It doesn't bother me too much. I don't listen too much to what people chant and I just think one day people in football will have to tackle that as well. It is easy to sit in the stand and insult people - it is the easiest sport in the world.

on insulting chants...
I focus on what I love in my job and the way my players behave on the pitch. I am not responsible for the way people behave in the stands. If you want to stop that it is easy to stop but I cannot influence it. I have had so much [criticism] in England, I have been here for 15 years, and basically I don't hear it because I am focused on the game.

on how it could be stopped…
You can isolate every single face. The only thing I think sometimes when I leave the pitch at the end of the game and people insult you or are angry or hateful, I'd just like a little picture and send it home to you. Show that to your son or your daughter, and then come back next week and see if you would do it again, if they are proud of you. That's all that you can do.

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Re: Wenger after game comments - Stoke
Flava (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 21:14
It wasn't a pen, Arsene.

You have to take the abuse so we can abuse Twitchy and Red Nose.

eduardo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 21:49
from gingers for limpar

Full Wenger comments from Stoke 1-1 Arsenal. “I don’t think you can be especially proud to boo Aaron Ramsey”
Uncategorized Add comments .Apr 28
Arsene Wenger quotations from the press conference following Stoke 1-1 Arsenal. Please credit if taken for use elsewhere.

On the game:

It was a game where we have shown great character, great battling qualities. It was a game of two different approaches of the game: one very direct in the air and one tries to play on the ground, and both teams are very good at what they do. That’s why I think it was still an interesting game, where we had good chances especially in the first half. In the second half I thought our fluency dropped a bit in midfield, we still had some chances, especially a penalty not given. But overall we deserved at least a point. I can only give credit to my players for their battling qualities and the way they responded to what Stoke offered us, [which is] what they always do – full commitment, well organised, direct. And we do not always cope with it but today I feel we did.

Asked about the penalty:

It will go on the tape of all the penalties we have not been given this season. [Smiles]

Q. Stoke spent more than 11 minues on set pieces today [note: not sure where this comes from]. How do you feel about that?

You are used to it.

Q. Was it frustrating?

No, I was frustrated at times but that happens in every game, because I am completely in the game.

Asked about Stoke fans booing Ramsey:

I don’t think you can be especially proud to boo Aaron Ramsey. I do not see what he has done wrong, in his behaviour; and that’s an old story where the fans of Stoke stand behind their player but it shouldn’t go as far as booing Aaron Ramsey.

Asked about Newcastle dropping points and qualification battle for CL:

Well a good result we got, sure, is that Newcastle dropped points today. But for us it’s important that we now win the next two games. Anything less will not do it.

Q. The team had a lot of chances but do you think they lacked sharpness at the end of build up play?

The first half we had the chances, you’re right, we lacked something – I call that belief, because recently we haven’t scored so many goals, you know. We didn’t score against Chelsea last week and maybe it’s a big link with belief.

Q. Also I thought Chamakh did better than recently when he came on…

He did well, yes because…

Q. …is he still definitely leaving at the end of the season?

Nothing is definite at the moment for the end of the season, you know. At the end of the season I think you will have big surprises because there will not be a lot of movement in football.

Q. The Stoke supporters seem to have an interesting relationship with you…

They have a relationship with me but I don’t have one with them.
[Laughter all around]

I personally have enough experience to cope with that [abuse from the crowd] and it doesn’t bother me too much.

Q. But Arsene some of the chanting was quite racist

I don’t listen to what people chant and I just think that one day football will have to tackle that because it’s easy to sit in the stand and insult people, you know
I don’t know what they chanted and I’m not responsible. Everybody in life is responsible for what they say and what they do.

Q. [Journalist says that crowd were chanting “French @#$%&”, asks if that isn’t as bad as other racist chanting heard this season]

My response is that I ignore what people say, and I focus on what I love in my job. It is football I love, and the way my players behave on the pitch [is what I’m responsible for]. I’m not responsible for the way people behave in the stands. If you want to stop that, it’s easy to stop – but I cannot influence it. It goes on so much in England, I’ve been here for 15 years [laughs] and I can tell you that basically I don’t here it.

Q. How is it easy to stop if thousands of people are doing it?

You can isolate every single face – you know the thing I think sometimes when I leave the pitch at the end of the game and people insult you or are angry or hateful I just think: I would like a little picture [of you] and I’d send it [to your] home and you show it to your son or your daughter and then we’ll see if you come back next week and do it again, see if they are proud of you. That’s all you can do.

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

eduardo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 21:50
more than 11 minutes on set plays(including throw ins) - laughable that refs ignore this

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:16
its incredible that they are allowed to dry off a ball whereas the ref doesnt like it when a player takes a second too long to throw a ball into play at any other ground

strange

Quote:
It wasn't a pen, Arsene.

yeah it was

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5066/verminator2.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/04/2012 22:22 by Rockstaar.

Flava (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:30
No, it wasn't. Go back to watching rounders.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:33
yes it was..anywhere else on the pitch its an obvious foul

yes it was

and I'm watch playoff basketball for the record

thanks

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5066/verminator2.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:45
Didn't think it was a pen.

on Chamakh's future…
He did well. Nothing is definite at the moment. At the end of the season I think you will have big surprises because there will not be a lot of movement in football.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

eduardo (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:45
seemingly pulis said he did not notice ramsey getting booed as he was too concerned about arsenal fans booing shawcross - and to think the media will let him get off with that

Flava (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 22:48
No Rockstaar, it wasn't a pen. Just because you post a link and Efan Ekokhu thinks its a pen doesn't make it so. It's never a pen, he barely touched him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net