football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Robin Van Persie is Footballer of the Year
Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 11:09
RvP has been voted footballer of the year by the Football Writers Assoc, the most prestigious individual footballer award in the UK. He beat Rooney by a landslide.

Oh how the press have it in for Arsenal.

Congrats to RvP, some people miss how hard he works when off the ball, including at least two goal line clearences.

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

Arsenal’s not a football club it is the one true religion Milton Palmer

Re: Robin Van Persie is Footballer of the Year
gunnersingh (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 11:23
Congrats to Robin.

But I disagree with your point about RVP's work-rate; I think like a lot of the team he doesn't work hard enough.

AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 11:39
Robin Van Bang!!!!!!!!!!! after this seasons exploits, i've wondered what it would have been like had he not been plagued by injuries all those seasons.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/ajplatinum/FACUPWINNERS.jpg

IT WAS A LONG WAIT BUT IT WAS WORTH IT...GUNNERS FOR LIFE!!

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 11:58
He is a hard worker. No doubt about it. He is a lone striker first and foremost so has to use his brain so as not to be caught too deep when we break. So i dont think anyone can honestly question his work rate.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 12:01
What zainy said

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

Arsenal’s not a football club it is the one true religion Milton Palmer

gunnersingh (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 12:33
Quote:
Zainy
He is a hard worker. No doubt about it. He is a lone striker first and foremost so has to use his brain so as not to be caught too deep when we break. So i dont think anyone can honestly question his work rate.

Your first line of defense starts from your forwards; Am not just singling out RVP here. Does he work as hard as Drogba, Messi, Rooney, Tevez? I would say he doesn't. If you look at how easy it is for opposition teams to play the ball out of defence in to midfield, then you can question your forwards line, which RVP is part of.

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 13:07
I wasnt aware that Drogba, Messi, Rooney and Tevez played as lone strikers... Must have overlooked that.

gunnersingh (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 13:25
Well if you watch tonight's game, you might just see Drogba and Messi playing the same role as RVP does.

Tevez and Rooney have both played as lone strikers this season in patches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2012 13:32 by gunnersingh.

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 14:39
Messi plays with a second striker usually pedro or sanchez. if he doesnt its the exception not the rule. The same with Rooney - usually with wellbeck or chicarito.

Tevez close to never plays as the lone striker.

Its a contrived logic to compare work rates for different players.
Those players may have high work rates but to say robin van persie's work rate is poor is simply fallacy. I suppose he had all those goals and is amongst the leading assist makers in the epl because everything was handed to him on a platter?
He worked for those goals and assists and he changed games almost by himself.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 15:07
I think even if you asked most of his opponents, they will give the award to RVP. I think RVPs work rate is just fine.
When Messi tries to close ppl down and if they wriggle free, I have seen him just stop running with arshavin like body language a lot of times. But then you give the ball to him and he will beat 5 of them and score.
Henry never chased down too much either. He would do that sometimes which would get the crowd going, but msotly he would conserve energy to burst forward where it matters.
RVPs work rate is word class and he does link up play well and plays his team mates through. he would ahve had more assists if walcott,gervinho could finish better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2012 16:43 by VanTheManPersie.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 16:26
Quote:
Zainy
Tevez close to never plays as the lone striker.

All last season Tevez played as lone striker. This argument is a bit sh*t but no striker has a better workrate than Tevez although all his workrate goes towards is the attack. Closing down defenders and keepers and going for loose balls.

Messi don't defend at all, doesn't need to just like Ronaldo, Drogba's only back for corners but is a lone striker, Rooney used to defend a lot in the past but is now a more sensible striker that from time to time helps out like RVP.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/cutmypic.png

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 16:44
Quote:
karsene
All last season Tevez played as lone striker. This argument is a bit sh*t but no striker has a better workrate than Tevez although all his workrate goes towards is the attack. Closing down defenders and keepers and going for loose balls.

You are quite correct, last season until they got Dzeko, Tevez functioned as City's lone and pretty much only attacking front (Kun and Balotelli also weighed in).
That was abandoned (on occassion) towards the end and he has only played in a 2 man attack this season (even if it is limited)
His work rate is like a bulldog.
The basis of the argument is that RvP has a poor work rate, which is nonsense. Because the argument shouldnt have anything to do with a comparison, he either has a good work rate or he doesnt.

flynchstone (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 17:33
Couldn't have gone anywhere else. Congrats RvP.

eduardo (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 19:32
1st Van Persie
2nd Rooney
3rd Scholes
4th Dempsey

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net