football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wenger: I hope Diaby can help us now
eduardo (IP Logged)
22 April, 2012 23:15
By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger hopes Abou Diaby can bolster his depleted midfield resources as Arsenal enter the final weeks of the Premier League season.

The France international came off the bench to give Arsenal some much-needed drive against Chelsea on Saturday, showing flashes of his undoubted class in a 25-minute cameo.

Injuries have restricted the 25-year-old to just four substitute appearances this season but, with Mikel Arteta and Jack Wilshere injured, Wenger hopes Diaby can ease the workload on Alex Song, Aaron Ramsey and Tomas Rosicky.

"I hope Diaby can play a significant role," said Wenger. "I am a bit cautious because he just played 25 minutes but in the last three games I hope he can help us, yes."

Arteta will miss those final three games and Wenger noted after the Chelsea match that the Spaniard is the type of player who is properly appreciated only when he is not available. The manager also paid tribute to Rosicky, who got through 65 minutes on Saturday despite an illness.

"In fairness Rosicky was not supposed to play," said Wenger. "He woke up sick and we forced him basically to play, and he wanted to play, and he's still lying on the medical bench now [20 minutes after the game].

"I am very grateful because he was sick and still he played and he gave absolutely everything. But at one stage he told us 'look, I cannot run anymore'. But he is not injured.

"To miss Arteta and Rosicky at the moment for us is too much on the creative side of our game. Even Arteta is enough [of a loss] for us already."

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Re: Wenger: I hope Diaby can help us now
eduardo (IP Logged)
22 April, 2012 23:46
Vermaelen - Diaby can be important for us

By Joe Brewin

Thomas Vermaelen believes the return of Abou Diaby will provide Arsenal with a timely boost as they look to tie up third place in the Premier League.

Diaby returned from injury against Chelsea at Emirates Stadium on Saturday, featuring for 25 minutes as a second-half substitute in the goalless draw.

And, with Mikel Arteta ruled out for Arsenal’s remaining three fixtures, Vermaelen says Diaby is capable of filling the void.

“It is good for him that he is now back and has put a difficult period behind him,” said the Belgian. “He can be really valuable for us I think. Mikel is injured now but Abou brings some physical presence in midfield as well. He is a good player for us so I am happy he is back.

“Mikel, as you have seen, has been important for us over the whole season. He is a leader on the pitch and outside the pitch and has a lot of experience. It is a big loss that he is not on the pitch anymore.”

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 04:49
Going to be a tall order to expect "sick-note" to last 3 full games.

gooney (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 06:32
Diaby is our hope against Stoke......i expect him to dominate the midfield

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 07:38
Sorry guys but believin is seein Diaby playinng 90 mins would be a miracle.

DB10,the best.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 08:00
If he can't help us at a time like this he must be sold.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 12:44
Who would buy a crock like Diaby?

Pinning our hopes on him is like relying on a rocking horse to win the national.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 13:38
show some respect

rvp used to get injured just as much

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jack-wilshere-goal-vs-marseille-a.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Zainy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 13:45
Would've great if Diaby finally fulfilled his potential.

CazOnARola (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 15:42
I agree Jack. Plus its not the player's fault if the club wants to keep him. He explained that his problem has been a biomechanical one after the first injury an thats why he keeps breaking down.
Now what would you do? would you jus hang up your boots and not try playign the game you love? its not his fault if the manager doesnt sign a replacement.

Having said that, I didnt like his comment about having a spurs shirt. He had been playing with our reserv squad before he joined the seniors and has been playing for a long time for us to atleast respect arsenal fan's sentiments not to say something like that.

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 15:58
Quote:
Zainy
Would've great if Diaby finally fulfilled his potential.

THanks for sticking up for me by the way, now we got that bit over with. What f.ckin potential are you exactly talking about?

[farm5.static.flickr.com]

Baby I was born to MOAN

Zainy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 16:31
Ahh the boys got some skills - consistency is his enemy.

video: [url]

[/url]

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 17:20
No doubting his his skill its whether he can stay fit.

DB10,the best.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 17:26
van persie's injury record was a lot better than diaby's even when he was getting injuries every year. And his talent has never been in doubt. Whereas there are plenty of people, myself included, who have doubts about diaby being good enough, even if he did manage to stay fit for a whole season.

eduardo (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 19:17
rob up till this season rvp and diaby had played the exact same number of games for arsenal since diaby signed in 2006.

flynchstone (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 21:47
Boom.

Zainy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2012 23:08
RvP 2004 - 2011 played 230 times for AFC
Diaby 2005 - 2011 played 158 times for AFC

If you deduct the games played in RvP first season to make it an even number of seasons played the difference is:

RvP - 189
Diaby - 158

Not a massive difference though that doesnt give you the minutes played or how many of those apps were sub appearances but its safe to say diaby played a fair few of those games as sub.
RvP would have to have played 31 times in the period of the start of the 2005/06 season for them to have evened out in terms of appearances which is not possible or highly improbable.

They do seem to have a similar amount of appearances if nothing else since they were both at the club.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 00:56
Quote:
rvp used to get injured just as much

thumbs down

Quote:
Having said that, I didnt like his comment about having a spurs shirt

thumbs down

how about this Diaby lol

[/url]

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5066/verminator2.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2012 01:07 by Rockstaar.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 09:42
Quote:
Zainy
Ahh the boys got some skills - consistency is his enemy.

[/url]

you can see how well thought of he is, by his colleagues in this video

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jack-wilshere-goal-vs-marseille-a.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2012 09:44 by Jack_is_the_truth.

SandyB (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 10:31
Sometimes a player can be legend without playing, when you can wrap all his 15 goals in one 4 mins video that shows a pretty compact career!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2012 10:40 by SandyB.

SuperRob (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 12:48
not sure where that stat came from ed but i don't think it's right.

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 13:03
Indeed Rob, i gave the wiki stats that showed he played less games, although not dramatically so. Of course like I said, a more accurate way of illustrating this would be showing the apps broken down into starts and subs.

Zainy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 13:05
Quote:
SandyB
Sometimes a player can be legend without playing, when you can wrap all his 15 goals in one 4 mins video that shows a pretty compact career!

Indeed, he has had a relatively compact career if you can describe it so. However the video was created by an AFC fan and this has its limitations, subjective for one and secondly dependent on what footage he can get his hands on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net