football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Forget messi and ronaldo...
Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:05
For me this is the most talented player of the last 20 years.
He played in what many people consider a more talent rich era and still shone like a beacon.
He had everything; Power, unrivalled technique, and eye for goal, positioning (never offside in his entire career, even if he was an attacking midfielder that's still impressive) and a winning mentality.
Messi is quite rightly compared to the best that ever played but for me I can't look passed this genius.

video: [url]

[/url]

Re: Forget messi and ronaldo...
Rockstaar (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:13
is this the dumbas.s that will FOREVER go down in history as the knucklehead who headbutted his team out of a world cup final?

Zidane will be remembered for one thing only I'm afraid and playing brilliant football isn't it

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5066/verminator2.jpg
[arsenalsigs.blogspot.com]

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:18
Best. Baldspot. Ever.

rico1990 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:18
your an idiot if your truly believe thats hes going to be remembered solely for his headbutt, zidane in my eyes is definitely the G.O.A.T, his close control for his height was unrivaled, messi's height(low center of gravity) is 1 of the main reasons for his close control.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:26
He obviously won't be remembered for his head butt alone. People act as though the brain can only manage one memory. Stop being a huge douche and making silly comments.

Either way, Messi is obviously the best attacking player of all time. It's not even questionable at this moment.

"I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids"

jar5 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:29
messi height has nothing to do with his close control LMAO.
His height has got to do with his close control AT SPEED. I read so much nonsense on here it's not funny.

But to the main point of this thread, ZIDANE definitely is GOAT. By that i mean he headbutts like one. IF U KNOW WHAT I MEAN. hahaha

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:32
ZZ>Messi

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

younghansolo (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:33
Zidanne was truly world class and could have made any team on the planet successful. He certainly played in a more taltented era as well. Quite honestly the level now is a long way off that of Zidanne's prime.

Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:36
The issue of best player ever is opinion not fact.
For me zidane had better technique than messi currently has, even if messi has phenomenal technique.
Messi is a joy to watch but I enjoyed watching zidane more.

Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:37
Exactly my feelings on the subject YHS.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:46
zidane was class, but messi is better

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jack-wilshere-goal-vs-marseille-a.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

De Times (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 16:07
Purely on the bases of who would i prefer to watch, it's definitely Ronaldinho. Ronaldinho's team would beat you and you still love them.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 16:21
The first game I ever got to see was Barca-Valladolid, the team with Dinho, Deco, etc. I didn't really realize what a privilege it was to watch those guys at the time, wish I had.

nis (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 16:24
Quote:
Jack_is_the_truth
zidane was class, but messi is better

agree and plus im going to have to say rivaldo was better than zidane aswell(i watched both in their prime every single week)

still for sheer elegance and joy of watching knowbody beats french plAYERS they just have that va va voom style and zidane was the top of that list

(hard work will beat talent if talent dont work hard)

no1 gazza fan (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 16:30
Messi has more potential than Zidane because he can simply do practically anything with a football, it's practically endless

but Zidane influenced games more and more consistently at the top level

If Messi's career ended tomorrow he would leave the game having never had a major impact on a World Cup

going back to one of Rockstaars old points, I reckon Zidane could do a job ANYWHERE on a football pitch, and in ANY team, not sure I'd say that for Messi ...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/no1gazzafan/VDVmegs.gif

no, put your wallet away Jack, that was too easy

Flava (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:30
Zidane was an artist. Watching him play was a beautiful thing.

Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane....all brilliant and make football the best game in the world.

If Materazzi had said that about my Mum I'd have headbutted him and then stamped on his cheating face.

If I found Zidane in bed with my wife I'd put a blanket over them.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:37
I think Zidane's reaction was one of an idiot, but who am I to tell people how to react to rubbish insults?

Zidane more influential? Do I need to quote stats? Messe's numbers are incredible. The guy is Barcelona's ALL-TIME leading goalscorer at 24.

Flava (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:39
That is an incredible stat. Messi is quite good.

Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:44
Goals equal influence now?
Messi plays with other very talented players in the argentina squad but hasn't be enable to influence that team as much as zidane influenced the French team and every club he ever played for.

Again though it's opinion. Messi is second best to zidane in my books an no argument will change that view just like those who believe messi is the greatest won't be budged on that stance.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:46
He will have scored an average of around 50 goals over the past four seasons by the end of this year.

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:47
I just don't think one can say a player is a GOAT when their career is still current.

The original ronaldo was showing similar stats to messi at one stage, but injuries and an unhealthy lifestyle ruined what could have been an immensely brilliant player.

Messi is definitely up there, but let's see how his career pans out before saying he is the best.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:49
International Football isn't a concern of mine. Playing in a team that is based on nationality should never be the basis in which you judge a player.

Many great players were unfortunately born in awful footballing countries, doesn't mean they should be considered lesser players.

gunnersingh (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:51
Rivaldooooooo [www.youtube.com]

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:58
Quote:
Goofle11
International Football isn't a concern of mine. Playing in a team that is based on nationality should never be the basis in which you judge a player.
Many great players were unfortunately born in awful footballing countries, doesn't mean they should be considered lesser players.

The world cup cannot be ignored. If you're country does not qualify then it is another story. But that does not apply to Messi. He comes from a very good footballing country.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:03
Quote:
your an idiot if your truly believe thats hes going to be remembered solely for his headbutt

again..might be a lot of things, but idiot isn't one of them. When people talk about great players Zidane's name isn't even mentioned anymore, not because he wasn't a great player but because his actions in that world cup final were so great and at the tailend of his career that its now completely overshadowed his previous accomplishments

of course football purists will overlook it, but not the majority of people at least no time soon.

but if you think the average person knows Zidane was a great footballer rather than you mean the guy that head butted another player at the world cup...then more power to you

and for the record, Zidane is still one of my favourite players...but it doesn't change the reality

Quote:
going back to one of Rockstaars old points, I reckon Zidane could do a job ANYWHERE on a football pitch, and in ANY team, not sure I'd say that for Messi ...

don't know about that Gazza, remember the discussion was about being the 'best player' ever..so he would have to be the best in the other positions also...not just doing job

If you look at how most players fail even being played out of position (i.e. cm to winger) that said..if we are talking about the position he played then I still take him over Messi

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:10
"The average person" does not have an opinion. If you ask "the average person" what the best band of all time is they would say something stupid like The Beatles or Radiohead. They should be ignored in favor of people who at least have a serious personal interest in the subjest.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:17
Simple fact is Messi has done more in his tender years than most legends have done across their careers.

By the time Messi hangs up his boots there won't be much room for arguing against him.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:18
Quote:
"The average person" does not have an opinion. If you ask "the average person" what the best band of all time is they would say something stupid like The Beatles or Radiohead. They should be ignored in favor of people who at least have a serious personal interest in the subjest.

Thats were you couldn't be more wrong..the average person = the majority and popular opinion

You think the millions of Arsenal fans worldwide are serious supporters? thats not real life mate

and saying something stupid (according to you) like the Beatles are the best band ever or whatever keeps the Beatles (the company) making a fortune every year for decades to come

stop being naive

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:32
Rockstaar, why do you always miss the point entirely?

Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:52
Quote:
Mad Jens
Simple fact is Messi has done more in his tender years than most legends have done across their careers.
By the time Messi hangs up his boots there won't be much room for arguing against him.

Accolades are relative. So are stats. Messi winning loads of player of the year awards is great, but players in previous generations had a lot more competition. As stated by many over the last few years, this current era is lacking in superstar quality as compared to previous ones.
So I think there will still be a h.ell of a lot of people who wont recognise him as the greatest ever when he retires, even if he keeps up this form.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:56
Lots of people who have never seen Pele play live consider him the best. I suppose that works both ways (me assuming he wasn't) but I would rather base my opinion on something real, like TV video evidence.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 18:58
I haven't missed anything tom, I clearly understand what your point was and simply disagree with it since its not relevant to the point I was originally making

Shane (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 19:00
They excelled in different role's on the football pitch.

If you have allowances for those comparisons why stop there, why not work backwards and compare Messi to Vieira, then Franco Baresi then go one step further and compare him to a goalkeeper.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 19:02
Nope, you misunderstood it and decided to make an unrelated point that had nothing to do with my comment.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 19:13
right tom..thats why I quoted your comment..to misinterpret it

Zainy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 19:24
Quote:
Shane1988
They excelled in different role's on the football pitch.
If you have allowances for those comparisons why stop there, why not work backwards and compare Messi to Vieira, then Franco Baresi then go one step further and compare him to a goalkeeper.

I do agree to a point Shane, they played different roles and so any comparison is tainted. But if you could compare individual traits: Messi is probably a better goal scorer even if he played a much more advanced role than Zidane but for me Zidanes technique surpasses Messi's.

De Times (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 19:47
In comparing players, the best way is to consider their influence on their various teams leading to team achievements, and then to weigh the joy they brought to the football world in general. Messi is awesome, but zidane was just much more than a mere footballer. Zidane, ronaldinho, maradona were all more of football gods than a footballers, the joy they brought to the football world. Messi's stats are incredible, but using his stats to say he's better than someone is like people using stats to say fake Ronaldo is better than messi himself. Incredible stats, but they don't evoke much passion.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 22:11
Quote:
Rockstaar
right tom..thats why I quoted your comment..to misinterpret it

Seems like it.

You seemed to confuse the idea of me ignoring idiots with those who buy Beatles CD's. Very strange that.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 02:49
Quote:
You seemed to confuse the idea of me ignoring idiots with those who buy Beatles CD's. Very strange that.

like I said I haven't confused anything...I was pointing out that your idiots (as you call them) are the ones that keep an empire going and relevant

doesn't matter if we're talking about Zidane's legacy or (your example) people that think the Beatles are the greatest band

the average person is the ones that keep these things going..just like your pele comment..tons of people think he's the best without ever seeing him play...that's from years and years of people saying he's the best and no one could ever touch his accomplishments, so people just believe it

Its pretty much indisputable that Zidane is more famous for his headbutt than any accomplishment he's had on the pitch

nothing to dispute really

karsene16 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 09:33
Surely Messi will win a world cup but zidane has been the best player in the world and won a world cup along with the other greats. If Messi doesn't win one it'll give the world cup more credibility.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 14:08
Quote:
Rockstaar
like I said I haven't confused anything...I was pointing out that your idiots (as you call them) are the ones that keep an empire going and relevant

doesn't matter if we're talking about Zidane's legacy or (your example) people that think the Beatles are the greatest band

the average person is the ones that keep these things going..just like your pele comment..tons of people think he's the best without ever seeing him play...that's from years and years of people saying he's the best and no one could ever touch his accomplishments, so people just believe it

Its pretty much indisputable that Zidane is more famous for his headbutt than any accomplishment he's had on the pitch

nothing to dispute really

Firstly, I think you now understand my comment, but are choosing to ignore it's very basic simplicity and changed my argument.

I don't care what the masses think. Most people in the world won't know who Mark E. Smith is, but I don't care because I listen to his music and enjoy it.

If Zidane is remembered as a head-butter by the general public (largely mindless idiots) I couldn't care less, because actual football fans are never going to see it that way.

Now, this is simple even for you mate.

Rockstaar (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 14:26
Quote:
Firstly, I think you now understand my comment, but are choosing to ignore it's very basic simplicity and changed my argument.
I don't care what the masses think. Most people in the world won't know who Mark E. Smith is, but I don't care because I listen to his music and enjoy it.

If Zidane is remembered as a head-butter by the general public (largely mindless idiots) I couldn't care less, because actual football fans are never going to see it that way.

Now, this is simple even for you mate.

I could ave swore I wasted two posts to say I understood perfectly what you meant...if you read what I wrote you wouldn't feel the need to explain the same exact thing you already wrote

I said you are naive for your comment and clearly explained why

and for the second time in this thread your comment has no bearing on my original point since I am talking about the GENERAL public....not whether a young naive lad in Bolton gives a rats a.ss about Zidanes headbutt

you don't write history, you're not a program director of a station with millions and millions of viewers, you have no say in the gazillion times that clip has been shown, you don't write the music that evokes feeling, you're not a ratings person, you travel nowhere, so you know nothing about other people's feelings towards anything...and above all that you live at home with your mum for heavens sake!

so come back with the witty smart.ss usual played out comment...but you'll learn the true ways of life when you finally get a job and I would love it to be one that doesn't evolve the average idiot

04 April, 2012 14:52
You must have cloth ears Goofle. The Fall are absolute shite.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 15:16
So Rockstaar has still not understood the comment. That's a shame.

And The Fall are better than any band you like jon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net