football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

‘We want quality not quantity in the summer’
karsene16 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:20
[www.arsenal.com]-

By Rob Kelly

Arsène Wenger says his focus in the transfer market will be on quality not quantity this summer.

The Arsenal manager has been linked with a host of players, with some observers predicting a major rebuilding project.

The Frenchman insists he does not expect to make a raft of changes to his squad and says that any signings he does make will be top class.

“We will not be a lot on the market, quantity-wise I mean. Quality-wise, certainly,” he said.

“But the [maximum] number of the squad is 25. We have many players out on loan and we will take a gamble if we find top, top quality of course.

“But don’t forget we have many players out on loan and we have not had Jack Wilshere or Abou Diaby for the whole season.

“These players will be back and it means that number and quality-wise we are strong because we are in the position we are in without these players.”

Wenger admits that he also hopes to wrap up any transfer deals earlier than last summer.

“You want to make me say that last year was bad and I agree with you - last year was terrible for us because we finished on August 31 at 11.55pm and we do not want to repeat that, of course,” he said.

--------------------------------------------

This change in policy will work well for us.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/cutmypic.png

Re: ‘We want quality not quantity in the summer’
arsenal1210 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:43
I fully agree, we're performing well without an English and French international midfielders, both highly regarded by their respective countries. If anf thats a big "If" we can get them back to full health we have a formidable midfield. I believe Coq will continue to improve, so the midfield "may" only be lacking an AM, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger slots Wilshere into that position. Podolski would be a great signing, but this team isn't that far off.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:45
Yeah he's bang on. It's about buying (not finding, they're easy to bloody find) the right players. And we don;t need too many of them just a few extra bodies with top quality and a few out the door.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:46
Spot on and its pretty much what we have already said.

DB10,the best.

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:59
we dnt need to buy big in quantity... 3 quality players added to this squad and we cld be gunning for the title.... hope Wenger stays to his word of not repeating last summer's transfer timings

PKGooner (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 16:49
Here we go.

Looking for players of 'super quality'

And ending up with the likes of Chamakh, Squillaci and Park.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 17:03
Chamakh looked a great "buy" when we got him (for free) and if you look at Squillaci's history he looked like a very solid purchase as well.

They've gone to hell no doubt about it but I don't think anyone would have predicted that. Both were only ever signed as cover anyways, really.

You look at the first team players we've signed recently and guys like Kos, Arteta and Gervinho have been quite good for me.

gooney (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 18:05
if wengs buy 3 top class player I will be delighted. Something like this

Vertonghen who will add depth and class to the defence

Podolski who will add to the attack

And a class goal scoring attacking midfielder

Then we are sorted

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 18:36
Now it's just quality not even super,super quality. Who knows what to make of it?

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 18:37
Shouldn't that be how it always should be done.

Fans have been saying that for a few seasons.
We shall see if Wenger has learnt anything.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 18:43
The real question is if he has not what will the Board finally do. More of the same no doubt. Share price is over 16K right now. They have no real incentive to do anything.

It's like the logic of the ersatz "rainy day fund" - the money is being saved supposedly in case we drop from the top four. Well, what is the one way to assure we don't have to use the entire rainy day fund? To use some of it now or over the past few years of course. If you continue to finish in the top two then finishing fifth really isn't a concern you have to prepare for is it? Of course if we never finish fifth but continually finish trophyless what then has the rainy day fund done for our club?

Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 19:43
As always the clubs actions will speak louder than AW words.Despite the fact they might want us to believe da latter.

Flava (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 19:48
We'll be getting Poldi....like that Matthew?

Anyone think we'll beat our transfer record this summer?

celine dion (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 19:50
Quote:
Flava
We'll be getting Poldi....like that Matthew?
Anyone think we'll beat our transfer record this summer?

no i dont.

Flava (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 20:20
Poldi Poldi Poldi

Zainy (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 20:28
Little bemused that some so quick to believe and moan that wenger said he won't be in the transfer market, then when it turns out he didnt say that at all they then refuse to belive what he said and still have a sneaky moan.
I may well understand where they are coming from but still amusing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2012 21:10 by Zainy.

Philly the kid (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 20:56
Having read the full context I'm not so worried now. Bit hungover this morning. Seeing thread -without context- first thing today was the last thing I needed!

Sammy22 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 21:43
Does this mean that wenger is admitting the players he got in agust wernt the ones he wanted? Not top quality but rather quantity

eduardo (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 21:52
no it means he wants any signings to be ready for the start of the season

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

tigerline (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 22:48
Quote:
eduardo
no it means he wants any signings to be ready for the start of the season

Amen to that!
Using 27 players in the first 5 matches this season with disasterous results was a hard-learned lesson for him.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 23:27
I forgot people gave a sh*t what Wenger said. Yeah, ignore him guys, have a @#$%& or something instead of reading his quotes.

Official 1000th poster in the classic transfer rumors thread of 2014.

Kalela (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 03:04
Quote:
We have many players out on loan and we will take a gamble if we find top, top quality of course.

Wengers definition of top quality players may differ from that of most. Top quality players do not need to be found. Everyone knows about them. At least most of them.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/696x392/may_14/gun__1400665836_sanogo_wembley.jpg

Beyond (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 07:25
So it took him few yrs to realize that he should sign players earlier. Great

hippogunner (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 08:00
"If we find top top quality" Does two "tops" cancel each other out?

We've already found top quality. Gotze and Hazard according to many on here. Will they be at Arsenal or one of our rivals?

80'sGoona (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:10
Gotze has indicated he wants to stay at Dortmund.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net