football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Poll: Who would you rather play.....
Philly the kid (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:25

Yao 5 heads or Arshavin

Yao Gervinho
Andrei Arshavin

You must be logged in to vote.

23 Votes

Show results

Seeing as Yao seems to have inherited AA place on the bench.
Andrei has recently stated he is coming back next year too. His kids are still over here in an English school.

Who would you rather have on the bench.

Me.....
I'd rather have AA. But Yao just needs his confidence back. I'm sure he's got a lot more to offer than we've seen so far. But for my money, Andrei has the quality, just not the work rate.

Re: Poll: Who would you rather play.....
80'sGoona (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 21:34
Gervinho all day long. He's just suffering the effect of the ACN. We can't forget what he brought to the team pre ACN.

It's all about competition for places though

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 21:36
i think this poll is unfair

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jack-wilshere-goal-vs-marseille-a.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 21:51
I think we are seeing wit gervinho how hard it is to come into a side from the bench and instantly perform.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:16
Out of the 2 it would be Arshavin for me.
Still think he can offer us something.
Have more faith in him than I do fiveheads who will probably only end up being a bench warmer, if that.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

Gunners R Us (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:18
you have to be pragmatic about these things

from september to January gervinho did more than arshavin. Therefore if they were both to still be here, Gervinho would be playing still

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:29
Arshavin was awful this season.

I like Gervinho's directness, but he can't finish his dinner. I just wish his eye for goal was a 100th the size of his forehead.

De Times (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 23:13
Stupid question.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 23:29
Gervinho, hands down.

Im annoyed we got rid of Arshavin but he was woeful for the most part.

Gervinho goes for a tournament, comes back a little tired and has some so-so performances and all of a sudden people are questioning him now. Thats fans for you.

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 23:35
What a joke, Arshavin probably has more goals and assists than Gervinho

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

Arsenal’s not a football club it is the one true religion Milton Palmer

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 23:38
Not this year he don't.

14 March, 2012 00:05
There was a touch of brilliance about Arshavin at times which I think made us all love his potential but to be fair we didn’t see much of it in 2011. His body language at times was awful, first off the pitch at the end of the game no matter what the result and his pitchside warm ups as a sub were laughable. What Paddy Rice was doing I don’t know but all AA did was a few gentle stretching exercises and spent most of the time watching the game.
Gerv seems to have a good change of pace which deceives defenders. I think he’s going to be very effective in the future if he can get a bit of confidence in front of goal.

Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 02:32
Gervinho is obviously the best option.

"I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids"

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 04:14
can some1 pull the stats on mins per goal n mins per assists for them both this season????

Kalela (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 04:25
Gervinho for me.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/696x392/may_14/gun__1400665836_sanogo_wembley.jpg

De Times (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 06:01
Arshavin, bendtner, and denilson should never get anywhere near arsenal again.

Amit_rulesworld (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:20
Vela

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:32
Quote:
Amit_rulesworld
Vela

(Sm145)

14 March, 2012 08:38
Vela for me

14 March, 2012 11:03
Yeah, you said.
Not in the question though is he!!

It's a valid question too. 10-4 at the moment. Not a white wash as some seem to believe.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 11:09
Gervinho for me.

The fitness of Arshavin makes him a striker or nothing these days, which doesn't work in a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

holzini (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:32
hidden answer ....---> SĂ©bastien Squillaci !

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:37
Quote:
Indiangooner
can some1 pull the stats on mins per goal n mins per assists for them both this season????

Sure thing. I nominate Indiangooner.

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 16:41
Quote:
Mad Jens
Quote:
Indiangooner

Sure thing. I nominate Indiangooner.

better idea wld be to nominate Amit as Manager (Sm159)

BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 16:57
And promote Chamakh to no.1 striker and drop RVp to the bench.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 17:21
Oh god.

The sad thing is Amit probably would...

SuperRöb (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 17:25
you can easily find stats like that on espn soccernet.

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 18:57
AA: 1 goal n 3 assists

Gerv: 4 goals n 5 assists

nhoj14 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 19:23
Apparently Arshavin has been terrible so far in both games for Zenit. The russian press think he's overweight, lazy and not committed to the cause. He has been subbed in both games and is said to be a lot slower than the rest of the team and is slowing the team's play down. After seeing our recent performances of the team and players who play in his position I hope he never plays for Arsenal again. Just don't think we'll be able to get any money for him.

weedz (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 20:20
AA for me. And easily too.

Yao has not had enough time at our club to be judged on yet, IMO.

Yao has played 5 full games for us in only 20 starts. Pretty hard to make a comprehensive analysis on that showing.

AA has had over 90 starts and even this season has played 8 full games.

A bit of knee-jerk happening on this subject. Yao has got to do a lot more before you can say he`s the better forward.

Mertz for Club Captain

Flava (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 21:42
Gervinho thinks too much of himself, he's such a bighead.

De Times (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 22:43
Gervinho is our second best attacker after VanPersei.
Arshavin is worse than silvestre and denilson, considering how much he cost. If our biggest ever signing could be loan out to a small club at a time when our squad was so depleted, then he's gotta be one of our worst players ever.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:01
Quote:
De Times
Arshavin is worse than silvestre and denilson, considering how much he cost. If our biggest ever signing could be loan out to a small club at a time when our squad was so depleted, then he's gotta be one of our worst players ever.

We were in serious trouble 2008-09 he came in and got us in the champions league with 12 appearances 6 goals 9 assists. Can't be the worst player ever.

De Times (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 11:37
He only scored against liverpool, wigan and blackburn in his best half season ever.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 11:49
Quote:
De Times
He only scored against liverpool, wigan and blackburn in his best half season ever.

erm..assists?

De Times (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 11:58
Assists mean nothing if most of them are from set pieces.

younghansolo (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 12:40
They're totally different players imo. Wide left I'd have to say Gervinho probably but if it were a case of it doesnt matter what position they play we just have to choose one to play I'd say Arshavin. He's a far more talented player. On his day one of the best in the world. Look at Rosicky, same age and has got it back. Arshavin can too.

Gervinho isnt a clever footballer, he's a tremendous athlete, great dribbler and that is incredibly useful for a winger.

but Arshavin is a finisher, a chance creator and has vision Gervinho can only dream of. I don't think I'll ever see gervinho score four goals in a game let alone of the quality Arshavin managed. Or the goal he scored against united.

Ideally I'd play Andre in the middle and gervinho out wide interchanged with ox and theo but that wasn't the question

15 March, 2012 12:57
Quote:
De Times

Strange thing to say DT.
Couldn't care less if the assist comes from a throw in, so long as we score.

15 March, 2012 19:13
Vela 5 goals 7 assists.
For a inferior side like sociedad.
He is younger better quicker and more accurate in scoring goals than arshavin and gervinho.

De Times (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 20:20
Quote:
Philly the kid
Quote:
De Times

Strange thing to say DT.
Couldn't care less if the assist comes from a throw in, so long as we score.
Me too, but i wouldnt allow it impair my judgement as to the overall quality of the player making the throw-in or taking the corner etc.

weedz (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 20:48
Quote:
De Times

What`s `cost` got to do with anything? Nothing. We payed over 10m pounds for Yao and only 2.7m for RvP.

In saying that AA is worse than Silvestre or Deck-chair, you`re using your emotion, not your mind, to make that appraisal.

It`s as silly as saying who`s the better player, Park or Bendtner? How can you make a serious judgement? We have not seen enough of either Yao or Parky to make a judgement.

Mertz for Club Captain

De Times (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 22:55
Weedz, park cost ÂŁ2.7m, and is on about 40k a week. Arshavin cost ÂŁ15m and earns 90k a week.
Any player wenger signs from 6m to 15m is normally a big hit. The price of the player therefore matters alot. Caroll and Torres wouldnt be such a flop if they wernt bought for so much money.

weedz (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 00:06
If you set your standards on how much a player is paid, as the bench-mark of what he has to produce, as you have just explained it to me. You then must take into account players who are getting underpaid for their product.

RvP would then be entitled to 200k/wk and Chesney would a 80k/wk 21 yr old GK and so-on. It`s not a good way of looking at the subject

Mate, I recognise that AAs contribution to our club has not been up to scratch. And for parts of last season and even more-so this season, he has been plain flakey. All up we`ve seen about half an hour of great football this season from him, out of 8 starts and a few subs.

I would even agree with you that he is, at present, over-paid.

But when AA does it right, he does it better than either Ox or Yao. It`s that thing they call class. Somewhere inside of him he has that. We have all seen it. We have not seen that same class, that same skill-level in either Ox or Yao yet, IMO.

Not saying Ox or 5heads wont happen. Just that the perceived gap between them is not as clear-cut as you say.

I still believe there`s still a place in our squad for him. At 30+, he`s got no real re sale value, unless it`s silly money. So why not run his contract down and use him where he best fits the needs of our squad.

Mertz for Club Captain

16 March, 2012 11:08
Another point could be, without AA in training. Who do the younger lads learn class from?

karsene16 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 11:14
Quote:
Philly the kid
Another point could be, without AA in training. Who do the younger lads learn class from?

Wenger.

16 March, 2012 11:55
........and in terms of skill on the pitch?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net