Tevez says sorry
21 February, 2012 21:48
At last! Tevez finally apologises for City row
Published 21:30 21/02/12 By David McDonnell
Carlos Tevez has finally apologised to Manchester City for going on strike - clearing the way for him to play for them again.
Tevez, whose decision to go AWOL in his native Argentina for three months cost him around £10million, has also withdrawn his appeal to the Premier League over the £1.2m fine imposed on him by City for his unauthorised trip.
The former City skipper, who returned to Manchester last week, issued an unreserved apology for his conduct but - significantly - did not name boss Roberto Mancini, with whom his falling out prompted his decision to return and sulk his homeland.
In a statement issued through City, Tevez said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence.
"My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City football club."
Tevez met with City's football administrator Brian Marwood at the club's training ground yesterday and agreed to say sorry. Mancini was not present at the meeting but was informed of Tevez's willingness to apologise and agreed to accept the apology.
Mancini and Tevez have yet to come face-to-face since the striker's return, but the player's climbdown paves the way for him to play for City again, five months after his refusal to warm up during a Champions League game at Bayern Munich looked to have finished him at the club.
Although Mancini initially said Tevez was "finished" at City following his show of disloyalty, he later softened his stance, informing the 28-year-old there was a way back for him if he apologised for his conduct.
At first Tevez refused, but the failure of him and his advisors to force through a move in January's transfer window is understood to have prompted their dramatic rethink, culminating in his grovelling apology.
Despite his contrition, Tevez will not be considered for selection until he has completed the rigorous training programme he has been set by City to get himself back into shape following his self-imposed exile.
But he is set to play a role in the title race run-in now he has decided to swallow his pride and accept he was wrong to turn his back on City, his antics having left him significantly out of pocket in terms of fines, docked wages and lost bonuses.
A City spokesman said: "Carlos has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct. He returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three month absence from duties, without permission.
"Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the Club's finding of gross misconduct which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days. He has since begun a training program designed to return him to optimum fitness."
Tevez has started just two games for City this season, his last appearance coming against Birmingham in the Carling Cup on September 21.
*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*