football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Wenger unhappy with critics from many that hv zero managerial knowledge so does that mean all the critical fans and ex players dont know wat their talking about except for him alone..
Goonz (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 08:47
Arsene wenger says his getting critics from many with zero managerial knowledge and in saying that indirectly he mayb saying those not a manager bef cant criticize him and many ex players and fans alike hv been on his back so does that mean wenger is saying the fans that pay for his salary dont know what they saying..know wenger could be one of the greatest manager in arsenal history bt to say that shows arrogance beyond the man himself..wenger hv said bef nobody can teach him about football as he hv been there for 30years yes that is arrogant bt if this latest rant is to the fans and that should be the final cue that wenger should leave as he thinks he is bigger than everyone including the fans that supported him through 7 trophyless seasons that shows his arrogant and egoist..yes wenger helped arsenal be a top side but all good things must come to an end..

Re: Wenger unhappy with critics from many that hv zero managerial knowledge so does that mean all the critical fans and ex players dont know wat their talking about except for him alone..
De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:34
The problem is criticizing on the wrong premise. The foundation upon which most people base their criticism of him on are what they often admit they don't have any clue about. Arsenal is a peculiar case, most of the perceived problems of the club are a function of things unseen, and fans ought to focus their attension on uncovering the things they don't know rather than make false and damaging conclusions base on mere innuendos, suppositions and insinuations.

Re: Wenger unhappy with critics from many that hv zero managerial knowledge so does that mean all the critical fans and ex players dont know wat their talking about except for him alone..
De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:38
The problem is criticizing on the wrong premise. The foundation upon which most people base their criticism of him on are what they often admit they don't have any clue about. Arsenal is a peculiar case, most of the perceived problems of the club are a function of things unseen, and fans ought to focus their attension on uncovering the things they don't know rather than make false and damaging conclusions base on mere innuendos, suppositions and insinuations.

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 09:57
And things supporter like you clearly don'yt want to see and answers you don't want to know because you want no part of any effort to0 seek out those answers really or at last alot of Gooners like you on herte feel that way.

What gets me is I agree we don't have the answers. WWhat we have is a lot of questions. A lot of serious imporotant and fully justified questions. Questions every Gooner should want and require answers to, yet so many Gooners are happy to live in this weird world where Arsena's business is enveloped in some fog that the people who make this business succeed cannot penetrate and should not even bither trying to penetrate.

It's almost as if it's some Old World place dating back to the days of the British Empire where the proper and honourable Public Schooled Gentlemen by their very nature know more than we do and entitled to greater respect than they show us, and we exist solely for whatever they desire to use us for and we've no right nor reason to question any of that let alone criticize it or protest against it, and should even be grateful to be treated that discourteously or disrespectfully by them.

We just want to know the truth about the Club's direction where it is headed and why and waht that actually means for Arsenal, and from what little actual information we are allowed to have the answer is uncertain and very very worrying I think you'd agree on that much, no?

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:13
It's plain and simple.

Why is Arsenal, a so-called big club, still employing a manager who says, yet again, that fourth is like winning a trophy?

Wenger should be sacked forthwith.

Bergmars (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:31
I dont know all the questions and I dont know all the answers,I do however know we are a FOOTBALL club first and foremost and the football has been severely neglected and under prepared for quite some time now.
The summer was a shambles and is reflected in the happenings so far this season.

DB10,the best.

PiP the Gunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:36
Quote:
Hippo
Wenger should be sacked forthwith

Or should that fourth-with!

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:40
(Sm22)

Best antidote to the shambles this club is in is to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:43
Right now, fourth would be like winning a trophy to tottenham or liverpool or newcastle. It all boils down to investment gunnersingh.
@Radio, where have u ever seen me be against supporters who genuinely try to find out what is going on at the club. Ffs i'd love to know too.
What you'd rather see me against are people nitpicking on the manager when clear evidence suggest that hands are tied up and he's doing much better than anyone else under the same or similar financial restrictions. And we all agree there are financial restrictions at the club, the extend to which fans should try to find out.
I'm a man of detail, and you won't find me ignore any piece of evidence in my search for the truth. Thats quite unlike most fans who get so frustrated and acts accordingly. On a soccer pitch, that would earn you a booking and worse still a sending off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2012 10:48 by De Times.

Eboractos (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 10:57
His lack of refereeing experience doesn't seem to stop him criticizing the match officials

"Do as I say not as I do."

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:02
Quote:
Bergmars
I dont know all the questions and I dont know all the answers,I do however know we are a FOOTBALL club first and foremost and the football has been severely neglected and under prepared for quite some time now.
The summer was a shambles and is reflected in the happenings so far this season.
If you truely believe what you wrote Bergmars, then you wouldnt have to throw a tantrum anytime results don't go our way this season. This is so as the poor results isnt the problem, the root of the problem is in events preceeding the season, wherein lies the solution.
What fans can do therefore is to ask legitimate questions through organize movements like the BSM or the AST, and this could be done anytime whether in the season or not. It's a more civilize way of doing things than becoming a keyboard warrior, which at best represents sitting on the fence.

Indiangooner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:06
Quote:
Eboractos
His lack of refereeing experience doesn't seem to stop him criticizing the match officials

wish some1 asks him this on camera smiling smiley

Zainy (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:07
Quote:
Bergmars

Agreed.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:10
@Eboractos, he critcize the officials, i've never seen him condemn them or cast aspersions on their person though.
And meanwhile, Wenger has never said he's immune to criticism. What he insinuates however is that most people have no clue to the type of restrictions he's operating under.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:11
Yes Bergmars, I agree. And I'm afraid completely ludicrous and ambition-choking comments like finishing fourth is a trophy is not going to inspire players or fans.

Does Wenger actually watch the team? How can he possibly say their performance against Sunderland was spirited? On 606 when they heard that the commentators could hardly hide their disbelief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2012 11:11 by hippogunner.

Philly the kid (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:11
Quote:
Indiangooner
Quote:
Eboractos

wish some1 asks him this on camera smiling smiley

Cos match officials are always right too, right?

Without reading an exact transcript, i think AW is saying he's better qualified to make decisions for our football club.
Not "no-one else can have an opinion".
I swear, most gooners are on their f*cking period at the moment.
(Sm164)

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:21
There performance against Sunderland was indeed very spirited, fans like you wouldnt just see it cos the result didnt follow.
I'd take their sunderland attitude anyday over their blackburn attitude where they won 7-1.
I watch football without any unneccesary emotions and don't get carried away by events. Read the sunderland match thread and discover that most people agreed we were doing well and hardly ever complained untill the victory.
What we lacked in that game was inventions and innovations which the midfield wasnt capable of. But painful as losing was, i couldn't fault their spirit, determination and attitude, which was the exact opposite of the milan match.

Zainy (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:21
Philly, you have to gauge the mood on this forum. A lot of memebers tend to respond by jumping on the bandwagon. Wenger has said some silly things in his time but people tend to think just because he said one thing, then everything he says is silly or that just because he is doing badly that everything he says is irrelevant.

As I have said plenty of times before, there is a lot for AFC fans to be upset about currently, but taking things out of context and criticising for the sake of it rather than appropriate constructive criticism simply muddies the water and lends some legitimacy to the status quo.

20 February, 2012 11:26
Quote:
Zainy

As I have said plenty of times before, there is a lot for AFC fans to be upset about currently, but taking things out of context and criticising for the sake of it rather than appropriate constructive criticism simply muddies the water and lends some legitimacy to the status quo.

Very well said Zainy. Very well said.
thumbs down

Amit_rulesworld (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:53
Ya . He is talkin about me.
He should understand it that before starting his career as manager he too had zero managerial knowledge or experience .
I have zero experience but good knowledge and decision making ability that i can criticise him.
Thats the thing i don't like about him this season. Upto last season he was respecting the fans. This season he behaves like god. And thinks that all fans are stupid.
I think board should keep him this year and give me chance as assistant or director of football in the club before the next season when I will takeover the arsenal manager's post from him.
And then we will start winning trophies again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2012 11:58 by Amit_rulesworld.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 11:55
why is the heading so long

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

younghansolo (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 12:04
I always get annoyed when people within the game feel they have the right to tell people external from it that they have no right to an opinion. Phil Thompson does it every week on Soccer Saturday and it's infuriating.

20 February, 2012 12:24
Did he actually say that we have no right to an opinion?
Honestly?
Where's the transcript?
I find it very hard to believe that's what he said.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 12:26
Yes De Nial as I shall now call you. I saw the game and it was not spirited. Many agreed. I don't need you to tell me what I saw.

All I saw was a lot of slow ponderous passing and no urgency. Only Oxlade showed any desire. RVP had no proper service so I wouldn't blame him.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 14:45
The Ox was one of our poorest players in that game. The only reason he stayed on was for lack of options. But you couldn't see that because ur views are blurred by sentiments.
Still i wouldnt blame the ox cos he gave his all, and the sunderland tactics wasnt favourable for the way he plays.
Arsenal fans should also try and give some respect to other teams. That sunderland team will always be difficult to beat playing like that against any team in the world. I don't know who is better, between martin oneil and mourinho, at non-playing and anti-playing football tactics.

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 14:48
My views aren't blurred by sentiments. If anyone is blurred by sentiments it's you with your undying love of our incredibly average manager. And anyway you just agreed with what I said you clown.

I saw what I saw. Ox didn't have his best game but he tried harder than most.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:11
I didnt admit with what you said but granted, I know you have problem with reading. Ox being poor relative to others despite working so hard simply means most of the team worked quite hard, which is what i was saying ever since.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:12
The game started well but Sunderland encouraged the crab passing then we were done.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/cutmypic.png

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:18
It's just the QUICKENING in the film the HIGHLANDER...... a point at which all the former k.nob-head Arsenal fans meet and agree that there can be only one solution... to ask the manager to step down.

[farm5.static.flickr.com]

Baby I was born to MOAN

hippogunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:37
Quote:
De Times
I didnt admit with what you said but granted, I know you have problem with reading. Ox being poor relative to others despite working so hard simply means most of the team worked quite hard, which is what i was saying ever since.

I know you have a problem with connecting with sanity.

You probably don't believe man has walked on the moon.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:51
@Karsene, we kept playing the same way, just that sunderland was up for it and bad for us we lacked any creativity to unlock them. As expected, we got tired as the game went on, and it was over.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:52
@Karsene, we kept playing the same way, just that sunderland was up for it and bad for us we lacked any creativity to unlock them. As expected, we got tired as the game went on, and it was over.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 16:09
I actually thought the only part of the game we looked semi-dangerous was towards the end when Sunderland was getting tired.

They pressed us high and with energy almost the entire game. Funny how the commentators went on at length pre-match about how O'Neill got his tactics all wrong.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 16:37
I think, even though the referee allowed alot of blantant foul and card offences against us go unpunished, Oneil got everything spot-on. The sunderland players showed alot of experience and composure too.
And MJ, i didnt think the sunderland players got tired, i think they were very defensive from the start and even got more defensive after they went two up. Them going back, and us having more attacking players plus rosicky in the middle simply means we had more freedom with the ball, but were never going to get past them.
The only thing that wouldve given us victory in that game was to score early, which rvp's penalty call wouldve provided.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 16:39
They may have been set up defensively DT, but they were pressing with a high energy and running their butts off all match.

I'd be amazed if they didn't start to get a bit heavy in the legs after 70 minutes of that. We had 70% possession or some such in the first half.

SA-Gunner (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 16:40
De Times, you're so deluded. Why keep defending Wenger? do you like the horrible football we're playing? it seems nowadays that our team cannot even enter to their box.

20 February, 2012 17:15
Quote:
De Times
Right now, fourth would be like winning a trophy to tottenham or liverpool or newcastle. It all boils down to investment gunnersingh.
@Radio, where have u ever seen me be against supporters who genuinely try to find out what is going on at the club. Ffs i'd love to know too.
What you'd rather see me against are people nitpicking on the manager when clear evidence suggest that hands are tied up and he's doing much better than anyone else under the same or similar financial restrictions. And we all agree there are financial restrictions at the club, the extend to which fans should try to find out.
I'm a man of detail, and you won't find me ignore any piece of evidence in my search for the truth. Thats quite unlike most fans who get so frustrated and acts accordingly. On a soccer pitch, that would earn you a booking and worse still a sending off.

Haor enough, I thought I withdrew my statement from you by saying like you (meaning supporters who tend to believe more in the tehe team as it is)but apparently I was not clear enough because you are correct. In fact I have often been pleasantly surprised (no offense intended) by the fact that you have not linkreed arms with some of the more strrident Pro-Board members here, so I sincerely apologize because I do not dispute anything there.

I mis-read the post and thought that it allowed me an opportunity to make the point I did which was about many people belive any view that is not 100% pro-Arsenal and Pro-Board is purely unproven assumption (which could be a fair point if not for the facts we do know that lead to to those views)while anything the Board says is simply accpeted as 100% fact by these Gooners no matter how little we know to support those staements or how much we know to call them in to question.

I was wrong to unfairly suggest even unintentionally that you are among those Gooners and I apologize.

De Times (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 18:25
You're welcome Radio.
@SA-Gunner, i love wenger as a person, and i think he's a very exceptional human beign to say the least. Asking me why i defend him is like asking why did chloe obrian support jackbaur so much, even blindly sometimes, in the movie 24. When someone has proven his quality, committment, and loyalty to you, you have little else to question him about.
That said, Wenger is far from perfect and i've identified one or two failings in him in the past. But if you keep looking for faults in any human beign, eventually you'd find one. We want to blame the coach for everything that happens in a football pitch, and thats where i beg to differ. I think a coach can't do everything, some problems will go away just by having better quality players for example.
The quality of arsenal squad has been in steady decline, i agree. But it's also clear that there has been a complete lack of investment in the squad at the same time. The share value of the club has increased during this period, and ofcourse there is a state of the arts stadium too. It points to one thing, that the club are more focused on other areas than what happens on the pitch.
For me, the manager should first of all take the credit for doing exceptionally well with the resources our eyes can see. Then questions can be asked by the fans through organise movements as to why is there no investment in the squad. If they say money is available to the manager and he spends that money but ends up selling players that worth more, then something isnt right somewhere. And i refuse to agree that wenger would delibrately go against the board to sell more players than he buy consistently over the years, lower our targets and expectations against the wishes of the board and still not only be in the job, but continues to have his contract renewed.
As for the other question, i don't enjoy the way we play now. The football last season was absolutely fantastic though. Any midfield that lost fabregas, nasri and wilshere at the same time will definitely suffer.

20 February, 2012 19:10
Terrific post DeTimes.

I think tweo things really stcik out because they are at the heart of all this in the post. First this.

Quote:
De Times
The quality of arsenal squad has been in steady decline, i agree. But it's also clear that there has been a complete lack of investment in the squad at the same time. The share value of the club has increased during this period, and of course there is a state of the arts stadium too. It points to one thing, that the club are more focused on other areas than what happens on the pitch

This has been something that to some was clear as far back as five years ago and has become increasingly clear to an increasing number of Gooners over the last five years despite The Club's best efforts to obscure this from us, which sadly were initially quite effective, and a large part of the reasons things have deteriorated to the point they were allowed to.

What we can do still now is pressure the club so that actions are taken to halt and correct this decline sooner rather than later but we cannot continue to wait patiently as some still seem content to do (and agin to make sure I don't mean you lol). We need to question precisely why this thesis you pose appears to precisely what is and has been going on and now not any later.

And then this

Quote:
De Times
If they say money is available to the manager and he spends that money but ends up selling players that worth more, then something isnt right somewhere. And i refuse to agree that wenger would delibrately go against the board to sell more players than he buy consistently over the years, lower our targets and expectations against the wishes of the board and still not only be in the job, but continues to have his contract renewed

Superb point, DeTimes - so many people seem to want to believe this bizarro -world theiroy that the Board aere and have been making all sorts of money available all this time and that they want it spent as badly as we do , and this stubborn/insane/arrogant/manager just refuses to spend it, and that for some, they just won't/can't sack him or even demand that he use the money.

This is mind-blowing illogic on every level imaginable, they portray as absolute fact. How they can buy this sort of theory is truly hard to comprehend for me even impossible. They are essentially suggesting the Club's share price rose 10 the thousand pounds and the Board made 300 million pounds in spuiite of its itself its employees and its business plan, and because of happy accident or dumb lick.

These supporters insult their own intelligence rather then insult the integrity of the Board they trust so unconditionally. Their loyalty is commendable, and the ingratitude the Club shows them paticularly is just even more disguting than the disrespect they show all of us collectively. I actually feel sorrier for those Gooners than I do myself and others less blindly faithful to our Board for what they have done to our Club and our team since 2005.

20 February, 2012 19:23
Wow!!
DT and Radio...........
those last 2 posts have made this thread the best i've read in a veeeeeeery long time on AT.
So much bit(hi^g going on on here.......yet, finally. We get to the heart of the disagreements and find we all had more in common in our beliefs/hopes for the club (well, more than I would have believed judging on recent debates)!!
Awesome.
I'm normally too blasted to explain myself properly. But DT is often on the same page as me. And more and more, we're becoming the minority. To hear him explain the basis for his beliefs with such clarity is brilliant. I'm with you 100% matey. Top post.
Radio, props. You always come across as intelligent, but with that post, you became reasonable too!! Surprised me a bit there (no offence intended). But you are both spot on the mark in this thread.
thumbs down
Good work lads!

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 19:35
DT, Radio and Philly.... you c.unts all in the same lodging house consumed with the fumes of f.ucking dope!

Baby I was born to MOAN

20 February, 2012 19:46
smoking smiley
Who?
Me?
(Sm100)

Peter Storey (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 19:51
Quote:
Philly the kid
smoking smiley Who?
Me?
(Sm100)

I wish I could be calm like you mate, I cant f.uckin help it

Baby I was born to MOAN

20 February, 2012 19:59
Quote:
Philly the kid
Radio, props. You always come across as intelligent, but with that post, you became reasonable too!! Surprised me a bit there (no offence intended). But you are both spot on the mark in this thread.

Good work lads!

I was going to thank you for the kind wards, but read on and couldn't stop laughing.

No reasonable is not my specialty as you have noticed. But I will say it's not for lack of effort. I really do try to be, but when people constntly questions whether you really support Arsenal, whether you need intense psychotherapy and the like, and in some cases even cyber-stalk and send you hate mail(no joke - but to be clear none of that has happened since joining here), and the try to prove you're wrong with arguments that in some instances wouldn't even fool my sixth-grade niece on top of that, being reasonable isn't always easy.

But I do try. Really - I do lol

20 February, 2012 20:09
(Sm6)
It's all good radio!! Keep doing what you're doing. We can't get it right all the time (cough, like a certain manager)!

Quote:
Peter Storey
Quote:
Philly the kid
smoking smiley Who?
Me?
(Sm100)

I wish I could be calm like you mate, I cant f.uckin help it

You need to come over to my lodging house mate. Try the fumes!
(Sm6)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net