football
Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Guardiola ready to replace Wenger as Arsenal plan to move manager upstairs
eduardo (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:24
Guardiola ready to replace Wenger as Arsenal plan to move manager upstairs
By Bob Cass
Last updated at 10:48 PM on 18th February 2012

Comments (2) Share
Arsene Wenger's 16-year reign as Arsenal manager is under increasing pressure after Saturday's 2-0 FA Cup fifth-round defeat at Sunderland - and the revelation that Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola could replace him in the summer.

Senior sources at Arsenal have indicated that plans are being discussed to move the Frenchman into the boardroom after another season of disappointment looks certain to condemn the club to missing out on a trophy for the seventh year running.

Waiting in the shadows: Barcelona's coach Josep Guardiola
Arsenal's 4-0 capitulation at AC Milan last week effectively sealed their exit from the lucrative Champions League and sounded alarm bells for club directors already facing the prospect of failing to qualify for next season's competition because of erratic Premier League form.

Since American Stan Kroenke became majority shareholder, Arsenal have looked to increase their global popularity and the income from it.

The team's success is the key to that and Wenger appears to have run out of ideas on how to stop his side's decline.

On the hot-seat: Arsene Wenger cuts a lonely figure at Sunderland
Arsenal are also aware that there is likely to be a limited window in which they could lure Guardiola from Barcelona, while his contract situation there remains uncertain.

The highly-regarded 41-year-old coach will be a free agent at the end of the season and refuses to rule out a move despite pressure from the European champions to sign a new deal.
'I can't be at such a demanding club without being certain that I have the strength to do it,' said Guardiola on Saturday night, in response to questions about a new contract.

Going through: Kieran Richardson (right) fires home the opener for Sunderland
'I still don't have it clear in mind. When I am sure then the club will know. To renew my contract, I have to feel it. We have been together for four years and the decision needs to be thought out thoroughly.
'I feel that it is better to have a bit more time. If that is okay then fine, if not then too bad. I have to be true to myself.'

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Re: Guardiola ready to replace Wenger as Arsenal plan to move manager upstairs
Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:26
amazing ed, how did you do that?

you took us back to last week

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

Padre Pio (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:37
Wenger upstairs? I would rather have a bat in the belfry

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will win trophy after trophy

Nothing will change to stop Arsenal's domination except the ticket prices which must go up so that Wenger can make even more marquee signings.

Kroenke, Gazidis & Wenger are made for each other a glorious triumvirate heading for immortality.

Arsenal’s not a football club it is the one true religion Milton Palmer

eduardo (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:49
jack it only seems that way,

yes padre it would be madness to move him onto the board, the new manager would never be allowed spend

if he was to be moved anywhere within the club it should be to the academy

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:50
well he may go upstairs but wont have any say or power but i agree rather him just retire

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 23:53
Sensational speculation. Guardiola never said a word about Arsenal.

Shane (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:06
Neither of these things will happen.

Jack_is_the_truth (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:25
yeah ed lets demote the guy that revolutionised the club

http://giant.gfycat.com/DistantVastGuanaco.gif http://164.177.157.12/img/teams/13.png
The future is now!!!!!!!

HappyGööner (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:34
You guys are soooooo deluded to think that Guardiola would come into a team in which he would get no support from the owner/Board in terms of investing in new players.

Whoever replaces Wenger would have to go into a rebuilding process. This would require a lot of cash to invest in the type of players they would need. Cash in which the current owner is not willing to part with. Guardiola, and Mourinho for that matter, are not the type of managers to rebuild a team. Barcelona was already a successful team when Pep took over, as was Real.

What we need is an owner who knows about football, true football that is, who would really care about the club and not just the business aspect of running a modern football team.

Though, I'd be open to the idea of Wenger moving into the Board and hopefully replacing PHW. Wenger, for all his stubborness, is still one of the smartest guys in the game and has an eye for young talent.

RadioFreeArsenal (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:35
Here's an neat idea to halt this decline - spend some money - like that 160 million banked away of which at least 90 million is available right now.

eduardo (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:35
he has stated many times that one option he can see himself doing in the future is working with young players and academy work, he has even talked about setting up academies in africa and asia

Big Guhnz (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:50
Arsenal football club will want there next move to signal intent

why cant the emirates buy us them guys build cities in the sea football has changed we are gonna have to change with it

Adapt or Die

HappyGööner (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 01:48
Quote:
eduardo
he has stated many times that one option he can see himself doing in the future is working with young players and academy work, he has even talked about setting up academies in africa and asia

eduardo, you're just repeating the same old argument that everybody else been saying about investing in young players. Though he has invested in youhg players, Arshavin, Santos, Arteta, Merteseker, Gervinho, Sagna, Koscielny were experienced players when Wenger bought them.

SandyB (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 06:58
Quote:
Re: Guardiola ready to replace Wenger as Arsenal plan to move manager upstairs new
Posted by: eduardo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2012 23:49

jack it only seems that way,

yes padre it would be madness to move him onto the board, the new manager would never be allowed spend

if he was to be moved anywhere within the club it should be to the academy

This + Guardiola or any other manager we know of even including people like Martin O'neill wouldn't step in Wenger around. It's time to bid a total and complete adieu not anywhere in the club.

Amit_rulesworld (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 07:08
I am ready to replace wenger. Give me the contract. At least make me assistant or team selector. To prove my point.

19 February, 2012 09:02
Don't feel bad Amit the s***s job could be open soon. Might have to ride a different line or hop off abnother station but is that so bad lol

eduardo (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 21:35
Quote:
HappyGooner
Quote:
eduardo

eduardo, you're just repeating the same old argument that everybody else been saying about investing in young players. Though he has invested in youhg players, Arshavin, Santos, Arteta, Merteseker, Gervinho, Sagna, Koscielny were experienced players when Wenger bought them.

HG what has his signings got to do with Wenger's own stated view that he thinks it most likely he will work with young players when he quits managment, he has talked about his interest in setting up acadamies in poor countries, giving something back to the game if you like

Eboractos (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 13:29
I was speaking to a Spanish bloke today who is a Barcelona fan. He says it is quite possible that Guardiola might leave Barcelona at the end of the season. However, he reckons that if he does go it will be to take a total break from football and not to manage another club.

Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 13:52
Quote:
Eboractos
I was speaking to a Spanish bloke today who is a Barcelona fan. He says it is quite possible that Guardiola might leave Barcelona at the end of the season. However, he reckons that if he does go it will be to take a total break from football and not to manage another club.

So he will come to us then. lol

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/BostonGooner1/roastspurs.gif

HappyGööner (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:02
I'm still baffled how gooners can be so deluded into thinking that Guardiola would want to come to a team like Arsenal. A team that is in total disarray, needs a massive influx of cash to get good, quality players, and gets no support from the Board or owner. Like I said before, when Guardiola came to Barca, it was already a successful team, having won the league and Euro championship. Guardiola is not the type of manager that would want to come in and rebuild a team espcially, with the meager support given by the owner/board.

Shane (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 17:21
I agree.

I can't see the Arsenal job being an attractive proposition for the top managers working in the game. We're a great club but IG won't be bombarded with CV's if the position becomes vacant.

It's that much of a mess that nobody would know where to start.

nis (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 17:27
lol i stopped taking the media serious when in 2002 i woke up to see the headline

RONALDO TO ARSENAL after fall out with REAL,
and they all ran with it with fleshed out stories being a kid then plus ronaldo being my fave player i basically jd in my ps

(hard work will beat talent if talent dont work hard)

Zainy (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 18:23
Quote:
HappyGooner
I'm still baffled how gooners can be so deluded into thinking that Guardiola would want to come to a team like Arsenal. A team that is in total disarray, needs a massive influx of cash to get good, quality players, and gets no support from the Board or owner. Like I said before, when Guardiola came to Barca, it was already a successful team, having won the league and Euro championship. Guardiola is not the type of manager that would want to come in and rebuild a team espcially, with the meager support given by the owner/board.

Guardiola took up the managerial post at Barce because he was a legend for the club and merely stepped up from the Barce B team managerial position, he didnt go looking for a successful club to manage and was handed the reigns to the best club in Europe with no experience whatsoever. We have no idea what kind of a job attracts him after Barcelona.

Often good managers are willing to take on a project especially if its a club with as much stature and history as AFC.

De Times (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 22:28
Top managers would fear coming here not because the club is in a mess (arsenal is in a better mess than about 99% of teams in europe), it would be because Wenger's shoes is too big for any of them, not even Ferguson could step in.
And guardiala would be a very poor manager to replace wenger with simply because he's a mess in the transfer market. And most of Arsenal manager's job is done in the market. It would be a case of Avb repeated, only this time we wouldnt have the cash of abramovich so he would probably finish midtable at best.

PKGooner (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 22:48
Quote:
DT
because Wenger's shoes is too big for any of them, not even Ferguson could step in.

Haha ah.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 23:32
^^Taking it to new levels I see, haha.

Quote:
And guardiala would be a very poor manager to replace wenger with simply because he's a mess in the transfer market. And most of Arsenal manager's job is done in the market.

A few things here.

1)I'm not convinced Guardiola has final say in transfers, but looking at their squad you'd hardly complain, would you? They've had some expensive buys and a few flops, but they save a lot with guys (true, quality guys) coming through their academy.

2)Wenger does well enough in the transfer market but saying that's most of his job is crazy. What's he do for the other 3/4 of the year? Make finger paintings?

De Times (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 00:57
Quote:
Mad Jens

A few things here.

1)I'm not convinced Guardiola has final say in transfers, but looking at their squad you'd hardly complain, would you? They've had some expensive buys and a few flops, but they save a lot with guys (true, quality guys) coming through their academy.

Pep inherited every player who is who in Barca, he's not done one meaningful transfer. Fab, masch, villa and sanchez are not the type of players you use to measure a manager's mettle in the transfer market. And even if they were, they were bought by people much bigger in the club. Hleb, Chygrynsky, maxwell, etc were pep's buy. They have great acadamy, pep has nothing to do with that.
2)Wenger does well enough in the transfer market but saying that's most of his job is crazy. What's he do for the other 3/4 of the year? Make finger paintings?
The most important part of a manager's job is setting up a template to play with and getting the players needed to play on it. Once that is done, every other thing is basic. Forget the hype surrounding top coaches, there's nothing much to choose between them. The main difference comes in their quality in the transfer market. Some coaches can do well to organise and bring the best in an already assembled team, but they can't build their own team. Maurinho and pep have done well to be great doing the first part, like redknap is doing now. But SAF, Hiddink and Wenger have been great doing both.
When i'll respect mourinho is the day he stays with a club to build a completely new team and achieves greatness with them. The last time he was about to enter a mini transition at chelsea, he started to get some very bad results and got sack.

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 01:11
Quote:
De Times
Top managers would fear coming here not because the club is in a mess (arsenal is in a better mess than about 99% of teams in europe), it would be because Wenger's shoes is too big for any of them, not even Ferguson could step in.
And guardiala would be a very poor manager to replace wenger with simply because he's a mess in the transfer market. And most of Arsenal manager's job is done in the market. It would be a case of Avb repeated, only this time we wouldnt have the cash of abramovich so he would probably finish midtable at best.

hahahaha! You really are a Grade A buffoon, detimes!

De Times (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 08:14
I make so much sense saltnpepper. Don't you ever have anything meaningful to contribue Mr. Spicies?

soliam (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 08:57
Quote:
De Times
it would be because Wenger's shoes is too big for any of them, not even Ferguson could step in.

pfffffffft HAHAHA!

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 13:59
Quote:
Pep inherited every player who is who in Barca, he's not done one meaningful transfer. Fab, masch, villa and sanchez are not the type of players you use to measure a manager's mettle in the transfer market. And even if they were, they were bought by people much bigger in the club. Hleb, Chygrynsky, maxwell, etc were pep's buy. They have great acadamy, pep has nothing to do with that.
Getting a ready made, world class Fabregas for £35m was an absolute steal. If you want to compare that to us buying the 16 year old version and training him for eight years save your breath.

Getting a quality battling midfielder that can cover/play at CB and doesn't mind riding the bench in Mascherano another.

Like I said there are certainly some flops (ahem, we have had those too De Times, hate to break it to you) but it's all rather a moot point. Why? Because as I said before, I'm not all that convinced Guardiola is the one making the deals in the first place.

Quote:
The most important part of a manager's job is setting up a template to play with and getting the players needed to play on it. Once that is done, every other thing is basic.
Well, the first time around you only said transfers, none of this template business. And how you add in setting up a team as if it's nothing highlights the delusions you're under.

Don't know why I bother responding to this stuff sometimes.

Slordio (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 13:22
De Times is a brilliant wind up merchant.

Not even ferguson could fill wenger's shoes?

karsene16 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 13:39
PeP bought Barca's defence but the attack was ready made.

I wouldn't want to leave a team with Messi in it to manage another team.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/cutmypic.png

De Times (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 14:42
How did he buy alves, puyol, abidail 75% of their defence, karsene? And do you give him the credit for pique, pedro, tiago, busquet and fabregas or deservedly to the great barca acadamy?
Like i said before, adriano - a backup fullback-is his only success story. The likes of villa, fabregas, sanchez, masch, and ibrahimovich were not his signings. Chygrynsky, maxwell, hleb are.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 14:47
I think we may have helped just a smidge with that Fabregas fellow.

DT - how are Fabregas, Villa, Sanchez, etc. not his buys but the few flops they've had are?

De Times (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 22:27
Madjens, you're the only one in the world who doesnt know that then.

karsene16 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 00:18
Pep bought Keita, Pique and Daniel alves

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 03:04
Quote:
De Times
Madjens, you're the only one in the world who doesnt know that then.
Why don't you try answering the question.

Or are you hoping this thread will die and go away so you don't have to admit you're talking out of your ars.e?

SaltnPeppah (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 05:36
Adriano a success story? Hardly. Guardiola doesn't rate him that much, as evidenced by the time he spends on the substitutes bench, preferring to use 32-yr old Abidal.

Adriano is not a even very good defender, just a decent utility player to have around. He can bomb forward and deliver a cross, I'll give you that. But his contribution as as a whole has been marginal. I'd be surprised if he was still there next season.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 06:14
Salt, you're probably the only person in the world who doesn't know Adriano is one of the best to grace the game.

So De Times says, so must it be true.

De Times (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:11
@Saltnpepper, Adriano is not neccesarily a success story, he's actually a lesser flop than his other buys which prove my point that he's a mess in the transfer market.
@Madjens,
At barcelona, the sporting director, begiristain holds control over transfer policy, and the president, rosell sandro (or joan laporta) makes election pledges to bring top players to the club, with the coach given a small room to make few additions. All the top buys (villa, ibrahimovich, alves, masch, sanchez) were done by the president and his director of football. The buyback of barca academy products (fabregas, pique) is taking charge of by the director of football in line with the club's transfer policy.
When barca bought ibrahimovich who flopped, the president took the blame, not Pep. If caceres, henrique, chygrynskiy, affelay, keirrison, hleb, keita, adriano, and maxwell succeeded then Pep wouldve taken the credit too. But all of them flopped spectacularly.
You have understand Madjens that answering your questions is actually a waste of time for me.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:20
Show me sources.

I can write up a treatise for you in 10 minutes about how Wenger isn't to blame for anything wrong with the club, or how he's the absolute bane of every Arsenal FC fan.

Doesn't make it true.

It's all so easy when you just TALK and hope everyone believes you. Just because you're talking.

And is it not ridiculous that I say this:
Quote:
I'm not convinced Guardiola has final say in transfers

and you rebut later with:
Quote:
At barcelona, the sporting director, begiristain holds control over transfer policy

But you're trying to say Pep is terrible in the transfer market?

You're so intent on doubling back and finding ways to argue with me that we're in fact agreeing on the same very points.

Have fun, Delusional times.

25 February, 2012 07:26
Jens we're agreeing again...I am afraid now....

Seriously your point is brilliant just because some trust the Club and the Board no matter what doesn't prove they are right or wrong. By the same token just because some including myself don't rust them at all doesn't mean I am right or wrong.

We should all be equally concerned that can be real cases for both viewpoints and should wnat to know which case is correct so we - and of course Arsenal - can take the right way forward from here. We all should want to know the truth rather than assume we know it when clearly none of us do. Just because it is easier or more plaeant to take comfort in the image of Arsenal Football Club doesn't mean we are doing what is right for the reality of the Club with certainty.

De Times (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:42
Madjens, if you want to argue that there is daylight and darkness then go ahead but don't try to take me with you.

De Times (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:46
Madjens, if you want to argue that there is daylight and darkness then go ahead but don't try to take me with you.

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:47
I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

Talking sense and speaking about facts instead of making weird analogies might help your case. #For Future Reference

Mad Jens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:48
I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

Talking sense and speaking about facts instead of making weird analogies might help your case. #For Future Reference

karsene16 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 13:16
Wenger inherited Dennis Bergkamp, since his retirement it's been going downhill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net