Latest News:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Time for Gibbs!
Posted by: nhoj14 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2010 23:27

Hopefully we can still get some money for Clichy from Real!

Re: Time for Gibbs!
Posted by: ganjabwoy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2010 23:45

I think we're usually on the same page nhoj14, haha but this time, I dont see selling as the option. Clichy is still a fine LB, (Then again, if the money is right...) but all we need is some good, healthy, fair competition for the 1st team spot

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2010 23:48

We shouldn't sell Clichy but I wouldn't argue seeing him dropped. he made that Isralie right mid for Sunderland look like Messi.

Posted by: Mr. Clock End (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 00:27

the israeli right mid was egyptian lol, but I just think clichy seems to have lost a bit of composure and cant just keep relying on his pace to get him out of errors. Kieran gibbs is coming at 100 miles an hour behind him and is more of a 'defender' but can also cross the ball whilst bombing forward, with the aeriel threat of chamakh and bendtner I think he deserves a run in the side. Gibbs will certainly play against the @#$%& on tuesday and how he copes with the little penguin will be very interesting...

But lets just say we are very well covered at left back.

Posted by: celine dion (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 00:30

i still remember Gibbsy in the CL semi two years ago, lying flat on his back while Park stuck the ball in the back of the net.

Its a tendency on here, the players who play a few games, and play them well, everyone celebrates them and says how great they are, and says they should be first team regulars.

Meanwhile, the players who do 40 games a season, and play 2 bad ones, everyone rips f*ck out of them and tries to get them sold to Juventus.

Date: 19 September, 2010 00:48

i see what you are saying but gibbs was very young then and the boy slipped - he could be as good as cashley potentially, plus its good for players to get a breather. Clichy was at the world cup and it would be nice if players fight for their spot. If gibbs gets a few games vs the likes of west brom etc then it will only make clichy hungrier. This isnt just the case for him but i just wish we had a player as good as arshavin so he could get dropped because he either has an amazing game or a pi$$ poor performance at the moment.

my only real gripe with clichy is that he cant cross to save his life nor can he hit a barn door. Sagna on the other hand does put in the occaisional blinding cross like vs blackpool and blackburn for 2 goals.

In my opinion, the only players right now that i would not rotate are almunia, vermaelen, cesc and chamakh. Everyone else could and should be swapped around.

Posted by: nhoj14 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 00:49

Can't blame Gibbs for that Celine, he slipped, it wasn't his fault whereas today as has happened several times recently Clichy panicks in the area and costs us a goal! Seem to remember him doing this in the now infamous Birmingham (Gallas) game away and giving away a pen in the last minute, even tho he did win the ball and it shouldn't have been a pen! He panicks, is complacent and needs to be dropped!

Posted by: Merlion96 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 02:40

Clichy was @#$%& for the 6 games of this season and can't improv eno more.

I will rather Gibbs plays, make the same kind of errors as CLichy but learned from them and can keep on improving.
CLichy can't improve and 15-mil bid (like Kolo) should see him leave Arsenal in Janaury 2011.

Date: 19 September, 2010 10:12

i disagree, clichy is 24. He can improve

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 10:22

Gibbs is fantastic at bombing forward and delivering a good ball. Defensively and positionally Clichy is ahead of him, surely there can be no doubt about that. If Gibbs hadn't got injured last season at the same time as Clichy he would have had 4 months to establish himself.

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 10:42

All gael needs to improve is for someone to teach him how to defend,he does not read the game well,and for to know when to pass out of defence and when its hoof ball time,or row z as it used to be called.

DB10,the best.

Posted by: Gooner_Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 10:47

Quote:
celine dion
i still remember Gibbsy in the CL semi two years ago, lying flat on his back while Park stuck the ball in the back of the net.
Its a tendency on here, the players who play a few games, and play them well, everyone celebrates them and says how great they are, and says they should be first team regulars.

Meanwhile, the players who do 40 games a season, and play 2 bad ones, everyone rips f*ck out of them and tries to get them sold to Juventus.

thumbs down

Agree with that, Clichy can be as has shown to be a world class full back, but he has lapses of concentration which cost us badly.

Having said that if Rosicky had put that pen away we wouldn't be talking about it. And from what I recall (after a few corona too many last night), the midfield did absolute f*ck all to protect the back four in injury time, and weren't much better for the other 90.

Date: 19 September, 2010 10:51

Clichy world class??..(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

You sure is a diehard Arsenal fan fed upon too much snake-oil purchased from Arsene Wenger....

Date: 19 September, 2010 10:52

Quote:
Gooner_Mike
Quote:
celine dion

thumbs down

Agree with that, Clichy can be as has shown to be a world class full back, but he has lapses of concentration which cost us badly.

Having said that if Rosicky had put that pen away we wouldn't be talking about it. And from what I recall (after a few corona too many last night), the midfield did absolute f*ck all to protect the back four in injury time, and weren't much better for the other 90.

well thats the reason Song got sent off wasnt it. Instead of sitting in his position he was running all over the place putting himself about because Wilshere and Rosicky are not the sort of tough tackling enforcers you need when you're playing in a hostile northern away game. Why would they be, Wilshere is obviously a class act but he's only just out of the f*cking scouts, and Rosicky is a winger.

I think bringing Denilson on for Fabregas might have heen the wiser option but like everyone says, hindsight. To be fair Wenger decided to fight fire with technique, Nasri and Rosicky did quite well as the game wore on, and Wengers gamble nearly paid off.

Date: 19 September, 2010 10:58

Wenger did the same thing at Blackburn a couple of years ago. Gilberto got sent off, we played with a midfield 3 of Rosicky, Fabregas and Hleb with Henry and RVP up front. The midfield 3 were imperious that day.

Posted by: karsene16 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 10:59

We should Play Vermaelen leftback, the CB's we have at the moment are quality enough, Calamity Clichy has been @#$%& for two seasons, any offer over 15mil is a steal.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/karsene/wilshere.jpg?t=1376646952

Date: 19 September, 2010 11:12

Nay, he is French and Wenger will never sell toddlers that he hand-picked, nurtured and coached to play for Arsenal.

Gibbs will always play 2nd fiddle and needs to leave Arsenal as he will never displace Clichy.

Date: 19 September, 2010 12:10

Quote:
Re: Time for Gibbs! new
Date: 19 September, 2010 11:12

Nay, he is French and Wenger will never sell toddlers that he hand-picked, nurtured and coached to play for Arsenal.

Gibbs will always play 2nd fiddle and needs to leave Arsenal as he will never displace Clichy.

sorry merlion that is absolute bullsh*t. Fabregas came through and wenger told the FRENCH LEADER patrick vieira who he had made from a youth player into a star to f*ck off, in favour of a SPANISH kid.

Wenger loves his new youth generation more than anyone and if he was really as french biased as you are making out he would have sent gibbs out on loan and had traore playing second fiddle to clichy. If you are good enough you will get picked and wenger will give every chance to wilshere, lansbury, gibbs, JET, eastmond, bartley etc to succeed - he has invested a lot of time and effort into the youth set up and wont be selling on gibbs. He converted gibbs into left back from midfielder and probably saved his career from being a mediocre jenas type midfielder and into a potentially brilliant left back. He is already englands second choice left back and will surely take over after cashley is shot.

The whole point of a squad is to have 2 players in each position - and our 2 left backs are batter than most in the league. So its not really a concern for me

Posted by: wildermorph (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 12:19

great

how many games in the new season and we have a new boo boy on this site!

Well done lads, how blindingly predictable.

Date: 19 September, 2010 12:25

Don't worry mr wildermorph I've still got clichys
name on the back of my shirt. Mind you that's because it's two years old and I'm too tight to get a new one.

Date: 19 September, 2010 12:33

sorry just for the record, i believe clichy is class. Just think rotation is good. Wenger played gibbs against bolton and it was a good call, give everyone regular games. Clearly clichy is a top class defender.

For me like I said, I would like to see arshavin put on the bench for a game or two. He needs to turn up for every game, not just the ones he fancies. As soon as song went off wenger knew he had to take off the only player that wont put a tackle in or track back, or even run. The fact that wilshere was kept on in favour of arshavin should tell him that a bit of graft wont go a miss as not every game will be a braga or blackpool with yards of free space and a nicely watered pitch. What nasri lacks in terms of direct attacking arshavin has, he has the bottle to tackle and defend - sometimes you need to defend from the front and arshavin needs to do that. Obviously he is absolute class but sometimes his laziness makes adebayor look like usain bolt.

Date: 19 September, 2010 12:39

I was watching an interview with Neil Warnock yesterday and he was talking about Abel Taarabt (spelling?)

anyway,

he was saying how in training he had to have a word with Sean Derry to tell him not to have a go at Abel for not working hard/tackling etc because it's not his game and Abel brings much different qualities to the team.

Arshavin is a luxury player and plays because he wins games in sublime 5 minutes.

Spot on about Clichy, there's not many left backs I would have in front of him, will be better now Gibbs can share some games so they are both always fresh

Date: 19 September, 2010 13:02

Celine.

I notice you are a place behind me in the prediction league now, congratulations. Let it be known that I would like to finish above you in my debut season.

Date: 19 September, 2010 13:12

Well, the late equaliser was celebrated like a champions league victory in my house yesterday. Firstly that's my first three points of the season in the prediction league and secondly there's nothing I like more than a good whinge about Gael clichy and wenger.

But seriously mr wildermorph, you don't stand a f@cking chance.

Posted by: zombiez (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 13:12

Clichy seems to be panicky.

I'd love to see how Vermalaen would fare in that position at left back.
Almunia

Sagna - Squillaci - Koscielny - Vermalaen

Date: 19 September, 2010 13:26

why would you put our best centre back at left back when you have 2 very capable left backs in the squad?

what would gibbs think if clichy got dropped and vermaelen was chosen ahead of him lol

Date: 19 September, 2010 14:33

@ Baz, The partnership of Koscielny and Squillaci has been sound so far. Clichy is not capable. Gibbs is Young.

@ Wilder, I've been on Clichy's case for 2 seasons now even when he was behind Nasri for a season, I really want to forget the match against Mendy, a converted RB!

Posted by: nomi_gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 14:40

yup karsene i remember that game .. mendy murdered him .... also the one against new castle .. jonas guttierez ... nani fu.cked him all game

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7926877664/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/01/Chabal.jpg

Date: 19 September, 2010 15:10

On the flip side there were plenty of occasions when Clichy had Ronaldo in his pocket - who at the time - was without doubt the best player in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2010 15:10 by Flava.

Posted by: nomi_gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 15:29

that was in the last decade flava ... in recent times he has been sh.it ..

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7926877664/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/01/Chabal.jpg

Date: 19 September, 2010 15:40

No way he is not French baised.

Traore should be a goner.Vieira?

What choice had Wenger got when he made sheep eyes at Real for 2 seasons?

Cesc?
What choice he had gone when there is no replacement for Vieira except Cesc and he got no dosh to buy in the market?

Van de Vaart was available.
And he refused to buy simply again "it will hold back the devleopment of his youngsters"?

Excuse me.
Will Van de Vaart be queueing up behind Nasri, Diaby, Wilshere and Rosicky if he joins Arsenal?

Just mark my word.
Gibbs will never repalce Clichy as if you all claimed CLichy si world-class, then he is "gold" in the eyes of Wenger and will never by replaced by the likes of Gibbs or Cruise.

Clichy is one of the few senior players in the squad.
And yet he is panicky and never calm under pressure, keep on committing all those fatal misatkes liek that at BRUM as good as costign us the title in 2007/08.

ANd allowing S*CUMS to fight bakc with that fatal slip as well.

Thsi season?
How many times he made similar mistakes and finally got punished?

Against Ronaldo?
DOn't make me larf as he was having one of thsoe off-days.
And CLichy then got his Engine, his quickness and pace.

And why CLichy is not improving after a nice summer rest and pre-season?
Plus where is his Engine that ran and ran forever?
Is "age" catching up with CLichy and all those niggling injuries took a toll that we will enver see that ENgine again???

Like Kolo, without that Engine and quickness, Clichy is just mediocre.

And like Kolo, his Engine and quickness got him out of jail.

COmpounded that with a disinterested Arshavin, you all can see what is happening at the left flank last season..and continue into this season.

Posted by: zombiez (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 15:59

Quote:
Mr. Clock End
why would you put our best centre back at left back when you have 2 very capable left backs in the squad?
what would gibbs think if clichy got dropped and vermaelen was chosen ahead of him lol

Was thinking if the back 4 like
Sagna-Squillaci-Koscielny-Vermalean is stable and able to keep clean sheets then I wouldnt mind we play them in most games. Obviously Clichy, Gibbs and Djourou will get cup games. Koscielny who is improving well would also get good cover from Verm as well as Squillaci.

Date: 19 September, 2010 16:19

Left Flank will always be our weakest link with Clcihy.

Then change to Cryuff 3-4-3 with the "4" and Front "3" protecting left flank and the extra midfielder to battle it out in the middle.

Mancini is playing a defensive "3" of Barry-De Jong - Yaya is to give a stable foundation for his Front-3 to create and to attack without much defensive duties wholly done by the MIddle-3.

Wenger simply does not have the DCM to protect Back-4, especially with an indiscipline SOng.

Clichy is a laibility and will disrupt any defence with hsi panicky defending in the box....like a headless chicken of a Kolo when under pressure.

........Sagna..........Squillaci........Koscielny/Vermaelen

..EBoue/Rosicky....Song...Fabregas...WIlshere/Diaby/Denilson/Gibbs

.....Walcott...........CHamakh...........Nasri/Arshavin

With WIlshere, Rosicky and Arshavin as option as well...

Date: 19 September, 2010 16:23

of for christs sake how many premier league teams do you see with a hulking 6 foot three central defender playing at left back. If you think Clichys crossing is sh8te wait to you see Vermaelen bombing it down the wing on an overlap with Arshavin and planting the ball confidently on Chamakhs head.

Not.Going.To.Happen.

Date: 19 September, 2010 16:37

Nope.
3-4-3 is exactly what Squillaci-Koscielny did at Roker Park.
They hardly bombed forward and always in our half.

Bombing forward is for the "4"...and the Bakc_3 is defending..defending..defending...

"7" up in attack with "3" back in defence.

Date: 19 September, 2010 16:47

Quote:
celine dion
of for christs sake how many premier league teams do you see with a hulking 6 foot three central defender playing at left back. If you think Clichys crossing is sh8te wait to you see Vermaelen bombing it down the wing on an overlap with Arshavin and planting the ball confidently on Chamakhs head.
Not.Going.To.Happen.

Well Maicon's not a bad fullback and Clichy has trouble defending and attacking, Vermaelen can hit a ball at least.

It's not going to happen of coarse but at least we won't be lying to ourselves thinking that Clichy does something in attacking areas worth mentioning.

Date: 19 September, 2010 17:22

Quote:
Merlion96
Nope.
3-4-3 is exactly what Squillaci-Koscielny did at Roker Park.
They hardly bombed forward and always in our half.

Bombing forward is for the "4"...and the Bakc_3 is defending..defending..defending...

"7" up in attack with "3" back in defence.

By the way Merlion Roker Park is now a supermarket.

Posted by: Thetruthisback (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 17:59

Clichy is the worst left back I have ever seen - I've been saying it for ages - give young Gibbs a go; or maybe Wenger doesn't like fielding England internationals?

Posted by: Bergmars (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2010 19:56

And to think for another 5,000 a week.

DB10,the best.

Posted by: nis (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2010 15:58

Quote:
thetruthis
Clichy is the worst left back I have ever seen - I've been saying it for ages - give young Gibbs a go; or maybe Wenger doesn't like fielding England internationals?

dont like gael but lol uve lost the plot

Date: 20 September, 2010 16:20

Quote:
nis
Quote:
thetruthis

dont like gael but lol uve lost the plot

True....only slightly ahead of Distin as LB and Koschelsky of Liverpool...(Sm22)

Posted by: De Times (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2010 18:38

Clichy should be one of our most reliable players. He needs competition, he was better when he had to compete with cole. He's now our weakest link.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net