football
Latest News:

any of you brits seen an AFL (aussie football league) game?
teams (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 07:39
Hard to argue these guys are some of the finest athletes in the world. Games are divided into 20 minute quarters (with stoppage time ends up being about 30min) and is relentlessly physical, fast and intense for the entire game.

Not uncommon for 2 blokes to collide in pursuit of a ball running at full pace, or for players to come back on the field after a concussion or dislocating of a finger... coming back on the field looking like mummies.

Being accustomed to this, football can sometimes be hard to watch with players falling over at the slightest touch or acting (suarez a couple of weeks ago for the penalty)

The game has developed greatly over the last 10 year, being faster and far more technical, perhaps borrowing some ideas from football. I'd recommend you guys check it out! 2011 Grand Final (Geelong vs Collingwood) would be a good place to start.

It's quicker and in my opinion far more exciting than rugby or NFL (No disrespect to those football codes)

Re: any of you brits seen an AFL (aussie football league) game?
Zainy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:10
It's a fun game to watch. There's a good rivalry here with GAA football with a combined rules match played between the two countries. Ireland smashed the Aussies last year Woop!!
Yeah it's a high impact sport which also means that the injury rate is a lot higher than soccer and so has the death rate due to trauma (though that is rare in itself thankfully)
I'd watch it over NFL any day.

teams (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 18:26
Glad you can enjoy our game Zainy, I would highly recommend going to a game to any visitors, its silly cheap too. The hybrid game with the Irish is exciting but its an awkward mixture of 2 codes and you'll never see the best of either sport in it.
Season long injuries are no more common than in the EPL, there may be more body contact but if you consider in football where the ball is played mostly on the floor, shins and ankles go easily as all your body weight is supported by your two pegs, always awkward where a shoulder to shoulder bumb is less so... apples and oranges, players will always play close to their limit in either sport and have suitable physique for their chosen code.
What I appreciate in AFL is that nobody whinges, they take the hits and get on with it or get criticised for being soft by their own team mates coaches and supporters

eduardo (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:22
I watch some of the games, but will say I can't stand the compromised rules game, total waste of time, the GAA are a disgrace to indulge in it at all

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

Zainy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 12:10
ed, i think its less about the actual series and game but more about bringing two countries together.
But yes the international rules game is not great.
Personally Id watch hurling over gaa football though.

eduardo (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 20:16
zainy for the GAA its about a great big holiday for top officals every couple of years down under
for the aussies its about the U17 series and picking up young lads for their clubs.

*Signing Ozil is a signing Bergkamp type moment for Arsenal. It changes things utterly.*

eduardo (IP Logged)
20 March, 2012 20:22
I see jim stynes has died at the age of 45 from cancer(a rare melanoma on his spine). Stynes remains the only player rectruited outside of Austrailia to win the Brownlow Medal.

teams (IP Logged)
21 March, 2012 00:50
Indeed he did Ed... He lived longer than expected and since being diagnosed has been actively working with charities and raising awareness and funds as well as Supporting his former team which has been struggling In recent Years. Brilliant guy, real gentleman and hell be missed by many. Also worth noting hes also one of few to win a brownlow medal that played in his position/role

eduardo (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 21:09
is it true that a very high % of the squad he was part of got cancer, and that four or five of them are already dead, I know of one other, Wight I think his name was, he was scots/irish, also played minor football in ireland, he played for Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net