Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
which came first the colour orange or the fruit 'the orange'
Posted by: celine dion (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2012 17:41

did people name the colour after the fruit or the fruit after the colour. Anyone know the answer?

Re: which came first the colour orange or the fruit 'the orange'
Posted by: Zainy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2012 17:55

Well I would have hesitated to guess that the colour came first. Its only called orange (synonymous with the colour) with very few languages.
After a rather brief research into the subject It seemed to only come to europe in 11th century as it is not a naturally occurring tree and fruit (its a hybrid).
So unless this was the first time that englishmen were exposed to the colour then id would say naming the colour came first.

Posted by: Eboractos (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2012 20:52

The fruit came first. Not all oranges are orange in colour.

Posted by: Mad Jens (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2012 21:11

Quote:
The word orange is derived from Sanskrit नारङ्ग nāraṅgaḥ "orange tree."[67] The Sanskrit word is in turn borrowed from the Dravidian root for 'fragrant'. In Tamil, a bitter orange is known as நரண்டம் 'Narandam', a sweet orange is called நகருகம் 'nagarugam' and நாரி 'naari' means fragrance.[68] In Telugu the orange is called నరిఙ‌ 'naringa'. The Sanskrit word was borrowed into European languages through Persian نارنگ nārang, Armenian նարինջ nārinj, Arabic نارنج nāranj, (Spanish-language naranja and Portuguese laranja), Late Latin arangia, Italian arancia or arancio, and Old French orenge, in chronological order. The first appearance in English dates from the 14th century. The forms starting with n- are older, and this initial n- may have been mistaken as part of the indefinite article, in languages with articles ending with an -n sound (e.g., in French une norenge may have been taken as une orenge), a process called juncture loss. The name of the colour is derived from the fruit, first appearing in this sense in 1542.

Date: 22 February, 2012 10:46

Wow well done Jens...

Posted by: hippogunner (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 11:36

Yeh google is an amazing facility.

Date: 22 February, 2012 14:22

I aim to please, Hippo.

My wiki skillz are not to be trifled with.

Posted by: jon_sammels_lovechild (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 14:59

Quote:
hippogunner

But it's the amount of effort that Jens put in to disguise he'd lifted staight from Wiki thats astounding.

Date: 22 February, 2012 15:05

I dont think he has disguised it at all. His entire post was put in quotations.

Posted by: jon_sammels_lovechild (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2012 15:07

I was joking. A poor one., but a joke, I'll get me coat.

Date: 22 February, 2012 15:21

My apologies... Im bored and waiting for my car to get fixed so not reading the context well tongue sticking out smiley

Date: 22 February, 2012 15:46

Quote:
jon_sammels_lovechild
Quote:
hippogunner

But it's the amount of effort that Jens put in to disguise he'd lifted staight from Wiki thats astounding.
A true master of deception, haha.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 19:08

What came first `The colour orange or the fruit 'the orange'?

Or, indeed, the Dutch? (Sm151)

Mertz for Club Captain

Posted by: Gööfle11 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 19:16

Pretty sure the language was conceived a while after fruits started growing.

http://i.minus.com/ibh1xvc6mkPzx3.gif

Posted by: Padre Pio (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2012 23:46

Oranges originated in china, but did they come about before Lemon's

Arsenal is a top 16 European club that will remain a top 16 European club and the Emirates is tape-loop that will show the same drab movie for a decade.

Nothing will change except the ticket prices

Kroenke & Wenger are made for each other.

Arsenal’s not a football club. It’s just a business. Myles Palmer

Date: 29 February, 2012 19:14

So therefore we should describe the Chinese as being Orange skinned rather than Yellow skinned?

Mertz for Club Captain

Date: 29 February, 2012 20:20

Quote:
Mad Jens
Quote:
The word orange is derived from Sanskrit नारङ्ग nāraṅgaḥ "orange tree."[67] The Sanskrit word is in turn borrowed from the Dravidian root for 'fragrant'. In Tamil, a bitter orange is known as நரண்டம் 'Narandam', a sweet orange is called நகருகம் 'nagarugam' and நாரி 'naari' means fragrance.[68] In Telugu the orange is called నరిఙ‌ 'naringa'. The Sanskrit word was borrowed into European languages through Persian نارنگ nārang, Armenian նարինջ nārinj, Arabic نارنج nāranj, (Spanish-language naranja and Portuguese laranja), Late Latin arangia, Italian arancia or arancio, and Old French orenge, in chronological order. The first appearance in English dates from the 14th century. The forms starting with n- are older, and this initial n- may have been mistaken as part of the indefinite article, in languages with articles ending with an -n sound (e.g., in French une norenge may have been taken as une orenge), a process called juncture loss. The name of the colour is derived from the fruit, first appearing in this sense in 1542.

I remember it well.

Mertz for Club Captain

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net