football
Latest News:

Worst Trouble at a Burnley Match
Teasdale In! (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:23
Mine's got to be at Stockport away in 87/88 season on a Friday night as an 8 year old when the police piled into away end and smacked everyone in sight including kids!!

Re: Worst Trouble at a Burnley Match
LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:23
Burnley v Wolves - 4th Division 1988.

CheshireExile (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:25
Burnley v. Celtic, Anglo-Scottish Cup 1978. Never seen anything like it before or since.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h5m9fa.jpg

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:27
Grimsby away, an FA Cup match around 1974. How we got out of that place after the game without serious injury I'll never know. Even the police who were supposed to be looking after us were shi**ing bricks. We were just dodging them.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

03 July, 2008 18:32
I should expand on mine.

After the game where Autoglass is, all the way up to where the away fans used to come out of the Longside, fighting all the way up Belvedere Road.

I was 8 at the time and the most shocking thing about it was that EVERYBODY seemed to be at it. No women about, just good honest lads having a good honest punch up (Sm14). It seemed everyone that was on that game that happened to be in that particular area when it kicked off was up for it.

The feds couldn't control it and were running around like headless chicken as about 1000 football fans in that area (at least it seemed that many to me) were going at it.

Does anyone remember this game?

We got beat 3-0 at home and George Oghani missed a penalty at the Bee Hole End where we were stood. Cue enormous amounts of racial abuse from his own fans eye popping smiley.

I went to the away game at Molineux that season too, we were beaten 3-0 there, but the only trouble was in the ground with the Wolves fans throwing foreworks at the Burnley fans, must have been around November.

Strangely enough, I didn't go to Wembley against Wolves though that season.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 18:34 by LightcliffeClaret.

The Collector (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:44
THE Celtic game. Without question.
It was even worse than b'sturds away during the 70/80's. (& they were fun!grinning smiley)

.http://i11.tinypic.com/6t1cg47.jpg
I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:44
the night of 12th of september 1978 will forever live in the memories of burnley fans who ventured onto the turf that evening.

the gaelic barbarians came to conquer the longside,but failed.

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

lambie the leap (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 18:58
Celtic at home was probably the worst I've seen, but there have been a few others which spring to mind;

Blackburn (A) 1970/71 'Friendly' - there was fighting before, during and after the game. Clarets fans took over the Riverside, led by the famous Illy - who remembers him?

Millwall (A) 1976/77 Last game of the season and the Viscount coach got attacked before the game. Simmy the driver jumped out and we all piled out after him - much mayhem ensued!

Birmingham (H) 1982/83 League Cup. We won 3-2 and they were fighting in lumps after the game all the way up Brunshaw Road and round by Temple Street.

Cardiff (A) 1991/92 Bloody coach driver went the wrong way and took us through Cardiff city centre. The Welsh meatheads couldn't believe their luck and they stormed the coach riving the door off - plod turned up just in time!

They are the main ones which stick in my memory and there have been many other tasty moments at Bolton, Stoke, Blackburn (82/3 of course!) and at home to Spurs, Man Utd, Middlesbrough & Preston

03 July, 2008 19:02
Liverpool too, was always lively.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 19:06
Cardiff home 88

Stockport Away 88

Bolton Home 88

wigan Away 90s?

Forest Away 90s?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 19:08
Difficult to say the worst really.( i missed that Celtic game)

Stockport away 88 was probably the worst, but also the best, if you know what i mean.

Tranmere away, new years day 89ish - Took a beating off an Everton rent-a-mob. Some serious injurys that day to burnley folk who didnt want to know.

Bolton Away - early 80's, running battles most of the day, through town, at the match, after the match.

03 July, 2008 19:10
Banter.

halesowen wolf (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 19:31
Wolves Away to Millwall 88, the coach got overturned & people dragged out of smashed windows, I was only 15

Arsenal Fa cup semi @ Villa Park 98.

Wolves v Albion 2 seasons ago, even the police got involved at the Train station, battering us

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Dazzab73/801442ff-f5ee-4126-a5e5-1a7c5200d195_zps8173e75d.jpg

Newton Exile (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 19:32
Burnley v. Celtic, Anglo-Scottish Cup 1978

03 July, 2008 19:33
What about the trouble at your local?

03 July, 2008 19:55
That was just some idiots trying to act hard, when Derby beat the Tesco @#$%& & i was supporting Derby (Sm128)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Dazzab73/801442ff-f5ee-4126-a5e5-1a7c5200d195_zps8173e75d.jpg

03 July, 2008 19:58
Did the place get wrecked?

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 20:00
Liverpool away 67/68 season, chased into Stanley Park for my scarf and given a right battering

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

03 July, 2008 20:00
No just the Gambling machine, the pool table & 2 windows in the pub, a few broken chairs & tables & me with a black eye & a few cuts & loads of bruises

03 July, 2008 20:01
(Sm1)

theultimatewarrior (IP Logged)
03 July, 2008 20:29
The worst i've ever seen was Leeds v Middlesbrough on Boxing Day in 1987 at Elland Road. Boro were top of the table at the time and Leeds had won 4 or 5 on the trot. From memory Leeds had been getting 13/14,000 the previous games but there were 35,000 on that day.

Middlesbrough were packed behind in the stand still there but back then the front bit was a terrace whilst the back of the stand was seating. I think Leeds won the game and may have got a late winner, loads of Middlesborough fans tried smashing their way out of the ground(as they'd been locked in) whilst Leeds fans were waiting outside smashing the same exit in(bricks everywhere).

The exits were smashed open and all hell broke loose for ages it was the biggest riot i've ever seen on that wasteground next to the ground.

My Grandad always thought the Burnley v Celtic game was the worst he'd been to but thought that was tame in comparison. Looking back it was a completely irresponsible to take an 8 year old to that game.

Preston_Clarets (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 07:16
I wasn't born when we played Celtic at home but some of the stories I've been told by people who were at the match is scary. One friend told me how a group of Celtic fans pick up a Burnley fan and smashed him through a bus shelter!

The worst I've personally seen was Wolves v Burnley in the league cup (we lost 2-0, I think it was 2003/04). It started on the car park behind the stand then spread up the road and across the dual-carriage way then onto the carpark where the coaches are park. I even remember women fighting that night!

http://i27.tinypic.com/4g5ggk.gif http://i28.tinypic.com/23r4ww5.jpg

Braindead (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 08:07
Stockport away in '88 deserves a special mention.

Scarborough in 88 was hilarious with all the police helmets flying about and seemed to go on for ages

Liverpool (FA Cup about 95?) Fighting with Everton fans outside a working mens club on the outskirts of Stanley Park

Stoke away (not sure of the year) Stoke were waiting for us outside the ground. Seen my mate get knocked over and trampled by a police horse eye popping smiley

http://i53.tinypic.com/23rqxe1.gif

Private Spud (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 08:25
Cardiff (away, 91/92) - no roof on the away end at the time, nuts bolts & coins being thrown over, home fans coming back into the ground through the main stand after the match had finished.

Grimsby (home, autoglass northen final) - night match and they brought a good few honest lads unannounced. lot of bother at junction of Welly & Tod Road. Funnily enough, we played them at home in the league shortly after and none of their honest lads turned up.

Chesterfield (away, can't remember the exact year but probably 95ish). not massive amount of trouble but squeeky bum time outside a boozer before the game surrounded by a good number. Time for a sharp exit!!

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 08:39
Saw an awful lot of kicking off in Mansfield when we beat them 1-0 in the 4th division title season.

When we played there in the Cup a few years ago and Ian Moore scored twice there was a nasty atmosphere too.

I've heard about "The Celtic night" but no actual tales. Can anybody who was there elaborate please.

04 July, 2008 11:37
The Celtic Game

I was 18 at the time. I used to work a turnstile at the Turf- you got paid (4.50 I think), and unless you drew the short straw and had to keep open until half-time, you could go anywhere in the ground to watch the game from 20 mins after kick-off onwards.

Celtic fans had begun arriving in dribs and drabs the day before, but by the evening of the match they were there in their thousands- most of them were stupendously p*ssed and they were mean, aggressive and spoiling for a scrap.

Outside the Turf it was chaos, with no segregation between fans as the police were hopelessly outnumbered, and hundreds of Celtic fans were simply jumping over the turnstiles. By the time I'd closed up and climbed up to the top of the Beehole End, the ground was packed and there were battles everywhere- on the terraces, on the Beehole steps, outside the pie stall, behind the Longside- everywhere. The air was full of flying plastic glasses and the odd coin and real glass bottle. After a few fruitless minutes trying to find my mates and a vantage point from where I could (a) actually see the match, (b) not have to spend my time watching where the next charge was coming from, and (c) dodge the missiles, I gave up and went in the Bob Lord, standing in one of the gangways (you could get away with that sort of thing in those days). I thus had a bird's eye view of Steve Kindon's goal and the tumult which followed- and as I said above, I've never seen anything like it before or since. There was a pitch invasion which in my recollection was actually begun by the few hundred remaining Clarets in the Longside, surrounded on three sides by the barbarian hordes, realising that the game was up and it was a case of "flee, or die", with the pitch offering the only escape route. The Jocks followed, having broken down the fencing that theoretically should have separated the two sets of fans on the Longside. There was then a massive running battle on the pitch, and it was getting very nasty indeed.

All around me were Clarets and some older, but enraged Celtic fans.

"See tha' ? See tha' ?" said one. "Tha's whut happens when ye treat these guys like animals. It's no' fair. They've been on coaches all day, no' allowed to stop for a drink, or a bite tae eat, or even a pee."

A Lancashire voice said: "If they've had nowt to eat or drink all day, how come they're all p*ssed?"

And that's how the fighting spread to the Bob Lord.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2008 11:41 by CheshireExile.

04 July, 2008 12:08
Some people say they didn't 'take' the Longside, others say they did. Which was it?

Private Spud (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 12:14
In a perverse way, wish we'd sold Lafferty to them and we could have had a friendly at't Turf!!(Sm110)

04 July, 2008 12:24
It wasn't all 1 sided LC.

Much of the pitch invasion from TL were Celtic fans trying to get out.

At teatime we went in the Lord Nelson en route t'turf.....twas already full of em.

We were at the back of TL during the game.
Going for a slash every 20mins was quite an ordeal (& fun at that age grinning smiley). They were skimming empty 1/4 whisky bottles (Sm11) along the back wall, as soon as you popped yer head out. It was a bit like one of those fairground games. (Sm6)

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Teasdale In! (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 12:25
Wigan at home and away season we went up under Stan was lively!! Also Man City away when we drew 2-2 under Stan was mental after the game in Moss Side going off all over the place after about 400 Burnley lads piled out after final whistle!! That was a long walk back to Chorlton Street!!!

BurnleyBloke (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 12:40
Most of these occasions good fun or more "@#$%& scary" ?
And is it for the best that those days seem to be all but done ? Or would it be a welcome addition to the "match day experience" ?
I'm guessing it depends on how old you are really ? I take it peeople in wheelchairs didn't go to matches in the days of "massive offs" ?

04 July, 2008 13:06
Personally speaking, I'm glad those days are largely gone, if only because the problem was getting so bad that just mentioning the fact that you were a football fan to the unitiated could get you some strange looks. Running for your life isn't much fun either.

I miss the terraces, though I doubt they'll be reintroduced.

As for the Celtic game, my abiding memory is that the Longside was taken- they broke through the fencing and used the debris as missiles. There must have been 5,000 more than the official figure suggests inside the Turf that night, all of whom were Celtic, as the police gave up and just let them jump the turnstiles. Sheer weight of numbers told, literally- I reckon the crush is why the fence gave way and it's a miracle there weren't any deaths. Once the fence came down the Clarets had nowhere to go but onto the pitch. That's how it looked to me at the time, but then again nearly 30 years have passed. eye popping smiley

warnie (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 13:41
The celtic game was way and above anything else in terms of violence. I've ended up in the home ends of West Ham and Wolves in the distant past - scary but nothing like the celtic gane. I was in the relative safety of the cricket field stand at the time. However, I remember celtic fans (loose term) destroying the fence between the fans and using pieces of it as spears. The cops with their dogs and horses had no chance. You should have seen Burnley town centre the day after the game. I do recall a group of Burnley fans remaining in the longside - not many though and they must have been scared to death. For me celtic are complete @#$%&.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
04 July, 2008 16:23
regarding the celtic match,i was 14 at the time & i vividly remember the burnley fans section of the longside not
being taken.

i recall walking,with a mate,through the corner of the cricket field stand & bob lord stand,down brunshaw road & back on the ground at the corner of the bob lord stand & the bee hole where we heard & saw a group of burnley fans chanting:

"you'll never take the longside"

we then began to proceed along the bee hole terrace back onto the longside.where we watched the rest of the game.

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

ManHug (IP Logged)
05 July, 2008 17:02
I think we all know Celtic are @#$%& anyway Warnie, Burnley pretty-much, will always be 'Gers.

Never really seen any huge bother.

Preston, November 'o2, was an amazing day out.

Myb dad took me as an 8 year old to Stockport 1988 too, of which I have video footage of that even if my memory doesnt hold.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 17:38
Burnley will be 'Gers ?
Balls to both of em i say.

Whats this video footage you've got ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net