football
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: Global warming. A myth?
fred dibnah (IP Logged)
30 January, 2012 23:20
Ive only just found out that Canada has pulled out of the Kyoto Treaty. At least theyve realised its costing them too much and done something about it. Wont happen with us though, will it.
I was very surprised to see that China has actually signed up, surely just a token gesture though?

I mentioned this on another thread a while ago, but still it goes largely unnoticed by most of the population : [www.stopburningourtrees.org]
Ok its a renewable source, but its putting more carbon into the atmosphere. Seems as though this is defeating the object, no?
AND the government are paying for this through subsidy (really its all of us paying for it through our increased energy bills).

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2012 10:06
One slight issue with that site is that again they state categorically that climate change is man made - As yet the only evidence seems to be some discredited research along with some gerrymandering to ensure it appears to true.

Sure I read somewhere that CO2 levels have been much higher at different times in the earths lifecycle!

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

PlymouthClaret (IP Logged)
31 January, 2012 10:46
In addition to Carbon Dioxide, this major contributor to global warming needs banning(!):

[www.dhmo.org]

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

06 November, 2012 17:49
Quote:
PlymouthClaret
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/01/climate.change
This is something one of my lecturers was explaining to us a few years ago.

Basically if it's too warm for ice to form in the North Atlantic because the Gulf Stream is too warm, icebergs won't form and expel salt into the water creating the salty, cold dense water which is needed to sink to drive what's known as the Thermohaline Circulation system driving and linking together the major ocean currents. If this doesn't happen the currents will slow and so the gulf stream will slow, hence the surface temperatures in the North Atlantic will decrease and so more icebergs will form.

Just possibly another one of Earth's many feedback mechanisms.

In the interests of fairness however, another article to ponder over.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Above is a post from 2008. The following article is not very clear, maybe deliberately, but demonstrates the above but on a more drastic scale.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

06 November, 2012 19:55
So PC, nail your colours to the mast, do you believe it is man made?

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

06 November, 2012 22:21
Colours nailed to the mast:

No

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
07 November, 2012 00:10
i don't think for one minute its man made, if we live in a cleaner world I.E. Cars and industry not pupping out the crap. better for us all on this planet. A political myth to regenerate world industry, why, we are as Now, running short of fossil fuel.(Sm100)(Sm63)

soapylily (IP Logged)
07 November, 2012 07:04
I do think that we can directly affect our immediate environment EG. river pollution; nuclear accidents and weapons tests; industrial pollution, acid rain. Etc. etc. However I do not believe man is responsible for anything more than 1% of long term global warming/cooling.

Nature is so powerful and so potentially destructive in its own right and cyclical in meteorological terms that when the next ice age cometh there will be absolutely zero man will be able to do to stop it. And when the polees reverse....[en.wikipedia.org]

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
07 November, 2012 17:36
lilly nice one, you put it well. at tha moment we are in an ICE AGE, YEAH ICE AGE. 65 million years ago it woz a warmer, before that 150million years a lot colder. in human life just over 12 thousand years ago the ice would have been a mile over you head at turfmoor footee ground.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
23 September, 2013 23:37
Looking forward to the IPCC statement that will reportedly SUGGEST(??) that human activities are the main cause of climate change.

Although their scientists are admittedly baffled on the fact that global average temperatures haven't gone above the level recorded in 1998.

The debate will go on till our sun gobbles up the earth..then they can say 'told you so!'

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2013 00:06 by fulledgelad.

foutrelebordel (IP Logged)
24 September, 2013 00:09
'suggest'?

'A leaked copy of an earlier draft of the report, seen by The Telegraph, will insist that the likelihood that global warming exists and that its cause is man-made has risen from 90 per cent certainty to 95 per cent certainty.'

that's more than a suggestion, i'd say.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
24 September, 2013 00:28
Then stop increasing the world population and our probs are over........wanna discuss that ? no! conversation ended.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
24 September, 2013 00:46
Quote:
foutrelebordel
'suggest'?
'A leaked copy of an earlier draft of the report, seen by The Telegraph, will insist that the likelihood that global warming exists and that its cause is man-made has risen from 90 per cent certainty to 95 per cent certainty.'

that's more than a suggestion, i'd say.

Interesting that the BBC led tonight's news by saying the same thing, that global warming is almost certainly man made. Then when they got round to it 20 minutes later they decided to tell the real story from this report, that there hasn't been any global warming for the last 15 years, and they haven't got a clue why not. Wouldn't make that the headline though would they.

Anyway never mind, they can keep ratcheting up our fuel bills to subsidise rich people building windmills for man made global warming that isn't happening.

You couldn't make it up.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2013 10:32 by bordeauxclaret.

22 August, 2014 10:39
Beeb

So in the absence of any science but in the face of a complete unwillingness to admit there is absolutely no evidence any change in the climate is man made they, well simply make sh*t up.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
22 August, 2014 15:35
I wonder how many man-hours and money these 'scientists' have spent desperately thrashing around to find a reason to continue with their ludicrous green taxes. So that's ten years more now the green loons and the renewables industry can continue to tax us and rake in the subsidies, when snouts are in the trough you'll not get them back out easily.

That's why they're kacking their pants so much over fracking, cheap energy, ffs stop that in it's tracks, could be the death of the lucrative windmills scam.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
06 November, 2015 15:11
I've not seen this being reported on the news.

[url=http:// [www.express.co.uk]][/url]

Lest We Forget:

Alfie (IP Logged)
06 November, 2015 15:31
Makes you wonder what to believe doesn't it.. Personally I think it's all down to the weather. (Sm100)

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
06 November, 2015 15:45
I Blame God (Sm12)

Lest We Forget:

BC2 (IP Logged)
07 November, 2015 22:15
Could be a good idea to stock up on candles, the lights might be going out sooner rather than later.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

The eco-loons are still running the country and our energy policy, they were warned what it would lead to when they passed their insane Climate Change Act, but they haven't backtracked an inch since.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
08 November, 2015 00:53
Charlotte Church says climate change helped cause Syrian conflict

Now I understand why Women were refused the vote for so long

Lest We Forget:

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
08 November, 2015 01:18
(Sm22)

We should take it back

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

BC2 (IP Logged)
31 March, 2016 13:24
Tata Steel is to close it's Port Talbot plant, 15,000 people will lose their jobs, the Tories, Labour and the Unions are wringing their hands, wondering what to do about it. God knows why, they were warned 8 years ago when Labour's Lunatic Climate Change Act was passed that the deliberate hiking up of non-renewable energy prices to protect the environment, that Green Cr@p Cameron said he'd get rid of, would inevitably lead to the destruction of British Manufacturing and the loss of thousands of jobs. And now they've got the predicted, inevitable outcome of their lunacy and they're running around like headless chickens, blaming each other.

This is what Charles Moore said in the Telegraph 6 months ago.

"Just as the supply of fossil fuels such as oil and shale gas vastly increases (thus reducing the cost), so ever-higher electricity costs caused by renewables subsidy are wiping out our steel industry."

This is what Labour MP Kate Hoey says,

"The EU’s regulations on energy production are killing our steel industry. It is impossible for the UK to compete with non-EU countries like the US, where electricity costs half the price, and Norway, where energy is 25 per cent of the UK price. They unlike us are free from dogmatic, ineffective rules on energy sources.”

This is what Allister Heath says in the Telegraph.

"The government has made errors, of course. The worst blunder has been energy policy, a combination of European Union idiocy and domestic self-harm. Thanks to an obsession with decarbonisation and costly renewable energy, prices have been pushed up dramatically across the EU, putting manufacturers at a serious disadvantage to the US. This is hitting even those high-value-added parts of manufacturing that ought to be able to continue to thrive in the years ahead."

The price of British steel has increased by £30 per tonne in 3 months, just a time when there's a glut on the world market. US steel producers pay 7p per Kw hour for their electricity, Tata Steel pays 13.9p, and the fact that Tata Steel pays double the amount of US steel producers is something that has been caused by both Labour and Tory governments with the acquiescence, support even, of the Unions. They wanted this increase in energy prices, they planned for it, they were warned what it would lead to but couldn't care less, the eco-loons won the argument hands down, the planet must be saved and the steel workers pay the price.

I really don't know whether to laugh or cry, this has been coming for 8 years and now the chickens have come home to roost. But this handwringing by both Union leaders and politicians makes me sick, they were told what would happen, they knew exactly what it would lead to.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
01 April, 2016 00:54
The problem is,do these so called eco-loons actually see themselves as eco-loons?

Lest We Forget:

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
16 June, 2016 21:42
Ive just been reading up on Biomass, something that has indirectly affected my industry over the last few years. It also regards info on Co2 emissions and the EU.

The Securities and Exchange Commission in the US has filed a report claiming that burning wood produces more Co2 than coal (as i have mentioned further up the thread).
The data for this actually comes from tests done by our own largest power station in western europe and largest consumer of Biomass for renewable energy.
This is the power station that was given hundreds of millions to convert half of its generators to burn biomass instead of coal, by the EU commission and our own government.
At the time of these handouts (and still now) the EU stated that burning wood counts as "zero carbon", because one day in years to come, the harvested wood would eventually grow back and absorb Co2.
So that counts as renewable energy, which meant Drax was getting a £350M a year subsidy.

Also, the major supplier to Drax is a wood processing plant in North Carolina. They supply biomass in the form of wood pellets to burn. They were supposed to use sawmill residue/waste, forest thinnings etc, but its been found that theyve been using newly harvested logs.

I just cant figure out how any of this makes economic sense to begin with. But also, it seems like its just not environmentally sound either.

Weve still got plenty of coal under our own land havent we ?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
16 June, 2016 22:25
Remember the former disgraced energy minister Chris Huhne ?

Guess what he's doing now . He's a European exec for a US wood pellet manufacturing company, who incidentally are looking at breaking into the UK market.

You really could not make this up eh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2016 10:35 by fred dibnah.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
17 June, 2016 01:22
The Drax situation and burning waste wood products shipped around the world was a story I have used to demonstrate our eco economic madmess for a few years now.what you have brought to my attention fred is that the situation has become even more ridiculous, if that were possible.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
17 June, 2016 10:21
I believe Drax are in the process of converting another generator for Biomass, which will increase their subsidy to somewhere in the region of £500M a year. Experts estimate this could mean up to approx an extra £100 a year on every consumers bill by 2020 to cover it.

And there's another power station in the North East currently being converted for Biomass, due to start production next year, so more subsidy there.

It will be interesting, and a worry, what is going to happen to these projects if we come out of the EU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2016 10:36 by fred dibnah.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
17 June, 2016 10:54
Very simple Fred, there is an oversupply of gas and all the big energy companies like shell and BP etc. are themselves proposing to build gas plants to soak up the supply and the Drax money saved will go a long to reducing our energy costs.It is madness enforced on us undemocratically and does nothing to improve or save the environment.Birds of a feather etc. but in this case eco nutters coming together from here and elsewhere in the EU handed power and influence over our lives that we would never vote for.Democracy would never have allowed this situation to grow but this is not a democracy that rules.

BC2 (IP Logged)
20 June, 2016 07:36
To be fair the EU can't be blamed for our idiotic Climate Change Act, which pushes up our energy prices, it's the product of our home grown Eco Loons in the Labour Party and it was also welcomed enthusiastically by the Lib Dems and the Tories. All it'll achieve is putting our lights out first bad winter we get, and it won't take a very bad winter either.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
20 June, 2016 23:21
Fear not BC we can overcome all the @#$%&* they throw at us, we brits are undefeatable.Imagine what we could achieve with a fair wind.When the world comes to an end it will be a Brit who turns the lights off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/06/2016 23:24 by Brian O'Neil.

BC2 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2016 08:11
I wonder Brian, around half of our fellow countrymen seem to think we'd have to ask the EU to turn them off for us. 40 years of dumbing down our education system is now paying dividends, 50% of the nation afraid to stand on it's own two feet, preferring the illusory comfort blanket of the EU.

soapylily (IP Logged)
21 June, 2016 10:10
BC, there is an article in the Business section (hard copy) of today's Torygraph by a Tony Lodge saying the UK's energy crisis IS the EU's fault. Fortunately I notice it gets light here at 4.30am and stays light until past 9 in the evening so 't folk in Yorkshire won't need candles for a while yet... (Sm100)

BC3 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 21:30
Nigel (Lord) Lawson on the eco-loons running our energy policy.

"I think it is absolutely intolerable that we are pursuing policies that have completely messed up energy policy in this country, which impose a quite unnecessary burden on British industry and in particular on households who pay far more than they need to for no benefit whatsoever, just so people can prance around saying what a wonderful example the UK is setting.”

Jilted (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 21:36
I wish the French and Chinese would hurry up and build our new nuclear power station.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 23:42
Toshiba in financial trouble will feck you hopes up jilted. there are many alternatives to nuclear.

13 April, 2017 07:46
Do you want to buy some if our uranium?

BC3 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 09:23
Have you any spare windmills Shanghai, we can't build them fast enough over here ?

Jilted (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 19:57
Prog on bbciplayer called dust storms for all the know alls of n life

14 April, 2017 07:17
We have plenty of coal. Just negotiating with an Indian company to build the largest coal mine in Australia. Will employee10000 people. @#$%& the environment all the coal will be. Runt in India

BC2 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 09:19
We have plenty of coal but we prefer to leave it in the ground, we're shutting down our coal-fired power plants as fast as we can, in 8 years time they'll all be gone. We prefer to use more expensive renewable energy despite the fact that this causes hardship, as JJ points out on another thread, 1 in 4 households in Dundee struggles to pay their energy bills, and it's not just Dundee, this is replicated throughout the UK. The Steel industry has been decimated, unable to compete because of high UK energy costs, steel plants close down, thousands lose their jobs, and all to close down a couple of dozen coal-fired power plants in a futile attempt to reduce CO2 levels and save the world.

And while the UK decimates heavy industry, forces people out of work and into fuel poverty for the sake of closing down a few coal-fired power plants, in just the USA, India and China alone there sre around 850 new coal-fired power plants either under construction or in the planning stage.

BC2 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 09:44
Quote:
soapylily
BC, there is an article in the Business section (hard copy) of today's Torygraph by a Tony Lodge saying the UK's energy crisis IS the EU's fault. Fortunately I notice it gets light here at 4.30am and stays light until past 9 in the evening so 't folk in Yorkshire won't need candles for a while yet... (Sm100)

Sorry soapy, just seen this, I must have missed your post last June. Googled that Tony Lodge piece and while I don't dispute what he says about the direction in which the EU is forcing us I'm surprised he doesn't mention the Climate Change Act 2008. This was passed by a Labour government and supported by both the Tories and LibDems and sets renewables targets way beyond anything the EU requires of us. This piece of lunacy can't be blamed on the EU, it will still be in force when we leave, and as it's not EU legislation won't be on the list to be repealed. Leaving the EU won't make any difference to our insane energy policy, the eco-loons are running this country as well as the EU.

Jilted (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 11:01
The loonies are those who allow capitalism to destroy the planet.
WTF do all those leaders do at the G8 and G20 meetings apart from dine on fine cuisine, quaff the finest wines and sleep in the best hotels the world has to offer, they do @#$%& all to make the world a better place for us all to live.
Cmon me hearties, join the Pirate revolution.(Sm109)

BC2 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 13:49
Are they something to do with UKIP ?

Jilted (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 14:47
Shiver me timbers, educating you landlubbers is going to be harder than I thought.(Sm85)

BC3 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 00:39
So it has something to do with UKIP ?

Jilted (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 07:27
Quote:
BC2
Are they something to do with UKIP ?

If you are a fan of UKIP then yes, put your cross Next to the Pirate Party.
If you hate UKIP then no, but still put your cross next to the Pirate Party.
Hope that helps shipmates.

BC2 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 08:46
What if I'm ambivalent about UKIP ? It's not that new party being bankrolled by Aaron Banks is it ?

Jilted (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 08:53
Quote:
BC2
What if I'm ambivalent about UKIP ?
It's not that new party being bankrolled by Aaron Banks is it ?

The Pirate Party are for you.

No

BC2 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 09:02
Quote:
Jilted
The loonies are those who allow capitalism to destroy the planet.

The loonies are running energy policy in the UK and the EU. Capitalism could provide all the cheap energy the good folk of Dundee, and the rest of the UK require, but the eco-loons in government won't allow it. So what is it you want, to save the planet or have cheap energy for Dundee ?

Or are you like Boris, in favour of having cake, and eating it ?(Sm14)

BC2 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 09:16
Quote:
Jilted
Quote:
BC2

The Pirate Party are for you.

Can they guarantee an FA Cup win at Wembley for Burnley FC ? Can they pick the winners of the Grand National, Derby, Royal Hunt Cup at Ascot and the Stewards Cup at Goodwood ? Can they guarantee promotion to the Evostik Northern Premier League for Clitheroe FC ?

If not, and I have this sneaking suspicion they won't be able to, I'm not sure they hold much of interest for me.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net