football
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Global warming. A myth?
The Collector (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 12:11
PC may have an informed view on this, but I always believed it was`political`.

I watched a programme on Ch 4 last night (i'd read articles about so called global warming before) & it seemed to confirm what I always believed.:-)
IT'S ALL BLOX!

Greenhouse gasses do NOT create warming-FACT,they are a consequence of warming.

ALL man made CO2 is less than 0.5% of what is produced naturally.

The earth has been much warmer over the past few thousand years.....& Polar bears survived.B-] The Arctic ice caps survived too. The Arctic is NOT any warmer now than in the past.

Global warming is more closely related to what The Sun does & any global warming is governed by sea temperature, the warmer the sea,the more gasses.......which takes several hundred years to take effect.
sad smiley
Lies = £££££££££££££££'s

.http://i11.tinypic.com/6t1cg47.jpg
I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Re: Global warming. A myth?
razo (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 12:17
The more I have read, the more sceptical I have become. Tend to agree with you.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v343/98/69/542104730/n542104730_842947_4040.jpg

CheshireExile (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 12:47
An outbreak of commonsense.

Actually, I think global warming may be occuring, but it is probably not a consequence of human activities at all and any attempt to mitigate its effects is pure folly.

There is so much blox talked about it though. These electric/hybrid cars for instance. Use of such vehicles does precisely nothing in terms of "carbon emissions". The electricity has to come from somewhere after all- usually by burning fossil fuels. Pollution in cities is reduced by using these cars, but that has absolutely nothing to do with "carbon emissions" and global warming. And what about those bloody silly wind turbines that don't do much in the way of generating electricity, cost a fortune to make and cause such hideous blots on the landscape? Cliviger Moor has been utterly disfigured.

Because we live in a secular age the environmentalist/green motivated New Puritanism has become a sort of replacement religion. Very few of us go to church anymore, but the world's bossyboots need a cause so they can be holier-than-thou.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 12:51
And isn't it odd how any proposals by Government to mitigate the effects of 'global warming' always involves yet more money being deposited in the Chancellor's coffers.;-)

BC

Post Edited (09-03-07 12:52)

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

PlymouthClaret (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 12:52
While I've yet to meet anyone who has actually said that we aren't having an effect, they all have suggested what that documentary was saying but a lot of the research on the programme is what I and probably most of us have come across before.

However, not sure if this comes across namby pamby but even if we aren't to blame for CO2 increases, it shouldn't mean that its OK to put out harmful pollutants which are of detriment to our health and the environment or continue to rip down rainforests etc. It might not warm up the earth but it's by no means good for the earth. It's a good point about how multinationals may be using this global warming as an excuse for making money once the oil runs out. We could still continue to be dependant on this without worrying to much about global warming but then the much bigger problem will be what happens when it does run it, and that'd be much much worse than what some scientists suggest will happen with global warming.

Maybe global warming is just one way of hiding this fact.

There's a whole bigger picture out there and if we are sensible about how the sun is to blame, there are still other more important problems to be addressed IMO.

I thought the documentary last night was one of the most interesting I've seen in a long time.

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

kata (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 13:27
Tend to agree with this, there is no doubt that emissions are bad for our health (well now I see it from my perspective) BUT hasnt global change happened through time immemorial?

Climatic change has always occured we have had the ice age and also a catastrophic event leading to dinosaur extinction, deserts being formed even now and archeologists finding sand blasts in digs where there is now lush vegetation.
It is man trying to explain events beyond his own understanding, and like everything else, has to put a human emphasis on it to make it either understandable or rational..........(whilst trying to raise a few bob out of the hysteria surrounding it)

Low lie the Fields of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly.
Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

09 March, 2007 14:59
The point is though, Global warming has nowt to do with man!
It's part of a natural cycle that's been happening for eons. It's only since 1975 (when we were in a cold era anyroad)that the temperature has started to rise again.

ALL this talk about`carbon`as though it's bad or in some way poisonous,is rubbish......it's harmless,WE are made of it.

Preserving the rain forests etc should be common sense....but it isn't the same issue.
Developing countries are being told they shouldn't be using their own resources,because of global warming,when it simply isn't true.

What exactly are the extra taxes for? what is this new`pay for your carbon footprint-offset`thingy about? Where is all this money going?
If it ALL goes to planting trees,GREAT,but it wouldn't make a jot of difference to the temperatures.

We ara all being conned by politicians....& paying extra for it.sad smiley

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

kata (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 15:29
hear hear!! totally agree TC

I vote TC for Prime ministerB-]

09 March, 2007 15:34
yawning smileyDyawning smileyDyawning smileyD If I was PM there would be BIG changes.;-)

I'm getting a bigger engine next time I change mi car too.:-DB-]

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Sandbach Claret (IP Logged)
09 March, 2007 16:23
TC - why not make it 2 Jags

09 March, 2007 16:39
Sc,I would if I could afford em.:-D

Also in the programme last night they mentioned the rising sea levels. Again these fluctuate naturally,but the biggest thing about this issue is...THE LAND, rising or falling. Again nowt to do with`global warming`:-!

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

12 March, 2007 11:14
PHILIP STOTT, Professor of Biogeography at the University of London, believes global warming is just another political bandwagon:

Climate is chaos. It is the most complex system, driven by volcanoes, the oceans, clouds, a wobbly Earth, a pulsing sun, and cosmic rays from exploding stars. Dealing with one factor at the margins - human emissions of carbon dioxide - is utterly pointless. Climate is change. It has flipped between hot and cold, dry and wet for 4.5 billion years. LINK-

Post Edited (12-03-07 11:15)

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

coolsimib (IP Logged)
12 March, 2007 11:21
I feel i need to add my bit as a geography undergraduate, firstly to chesire exile the electric cars do reduce co2 emissions as the electricity comes from using the movement of the wheels either when it is in petrol mode or free wheeling downhill to act as a dynamo to produce the electricity, not from the burning of fossil fuels. Secondly tho global warming is happening however we are not causing it, it has happened many times over billions of years. It can be seen that there are glacial periods and interglacial periods in history, in other words times when its an ice age then times when it gets warm. These run in a pattern and at the moment we are in are approaching a peak of an interglacial, simple as that the warming up is natural. Ofcourse there are many theories and no can really be proved or disproved but this is my educated view

kata (IP Logged)
12 March, 2007 20:38
seems both you and Philip stott agree coolsmib...........along with the rest of us here.
I certainly hold the same philosophy as mentioned above, and certainly feel the tory air tax proposition a totally hypocritical proposal, given that they will certainly breach their own policies time and time again if they get into power, and at the cost to the average man too!

jack miggins (IP Logged)
13 March, 2007 01:36
Twenty years ago the Greens were regarded as pariahs by virtually all politicians. They then discovered that you can legitimately reap massive tax income from 'unhealthy' products. The present situation is an extension of this - only now it is our Worlds' health that they fret over.

Add this to the very real problem that the fossil fuel reserves seem to be located in the wrong parts of the Earth's crust et voila - a politicians & bankers paradise - where they can be seen as the visionary messiahs to lead us through the impending doom.

We are entering the most politically unstable period that mankind has ever faced (sorry to be dramatic). Do we honestly believe that the government (or rather the 1% that actually run this country) are overly concerned with the health of the plebs or our planet? Are we really fighting terrorism in Iraq & Afghanistan? Would the bankers allow our PM to enter into such a profitless act? or are we really stating a territorial claim to the oil fields that we can reasonably secure from the Russians?

18 February, 2008 21:01
Just a quick update.

Arctic ice levels which had shrunk from 13 million sq km in January 2007 to just 4 million in October, are almost back to their original levels.

Also,figures show that there is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than is usual for the time of year.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 21:17
Ah but TC, th'experts will tell you - thats a bizarre side effect of global warming

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 21:25
By heck TC, you're digging out some threads tonight!
You a bit bored like ? (Sm14)

18 February, 2008 23:24
There was a report in The Times last week about the MOD lodging objections to proposals to site windfarms off the east coast of England.

Recent trials have discovered that the turbines create holes in radar coverage making it impossible to detect approaching aircraft and now the MOD are objecting to any proposed turbines in line of sight of it's radar stations.

The most significant part of the report imo was this:-

"The change of policy has prompted fury among developers, who had previously been told that there were no defence implications. They have now written a letter of protest to Energy Secretary Mr. Hutton and Des Browne, the Defence Secretary, pointing out that millions of pounds of investment are at risk ."

And there you have a rare glimpse of the renewable energy scam fully exposed to public view. The developers are furious, not with concern for the integrity of our defence systems, not with concern even for the environment, just about the money, it's all about making money.

BC

theultimatewarrior (IP Logged)
18 February, 2008 23:36
It was bloody nippy when i nipped out for a pint of milk a while ago and who can forget last Summer?

19 February, 2008 09:00
A few thoughts I have on this:

1. Global Warming is clearly happening - no scientist disputes this
2. Our impact on it is open to debate IMHO - though don't say this out loud - people will put you into the square earth category.
3. Regardless of Global Warming we SHOULD consider the impact our actions have on the planet (see PC's post above)
4. Renewable energy and fossil fuel alternatives are really really important because in time (quite soon) these are going to run out. Running out of energy will be more damaging than I think any of us could imagine (again see PC's post above)

Braindead (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 09:09
My Dad always says that Global Warming and the fact that we are causing it is rubbish - and that we should read our history books for the cause.

The earth has warmed and frozen on a regular basis throughout time and will continue to do so regardless of the measures we take to prevent it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/23rqxe1.gif

bedfords (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 09:43
Agree with most of this but without sounding like a greenie, it scares the life out of me us pumping@#$%&into the atmosphere, killing ecosystems and burying all our rubbish under the ground we live on.

That said, my idea of recycling is taking my empty pint glass to the bar for a refill.

http://www.cricket.co.uk/shared/images/teams/yorkshire_logo.gif http://www.claretsdirect.com/sites/BURNLEY/images/Products/LES196A____B.jpg

19 February, 2008 09:49
Quote:
Renewable energy and fossil fuel alternatives are really really important

I agree, but I doubt the current mad rush to create windfarms all over the place is the answer and seems more driven by the profit motive to me than by any concern for the environment. Opposition to them is being drowned out here in France as well as in England. The latest apologist for them over here has said that France should get on with building them because, even if they don't prove to be the answer, it's not a problem to halt and dismantle them, all that would be lost was the money spent on them.

Sounds very much like someone aiming to make a huge profit from developing them to me. He also failed to explain what would fill the energy gap when you found the turbines weren't up to the job and you had to find an alternative energy source. You can't get a Nuclear Power Station up and running overnight.

BC

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 09:52
Is this the largest piece of bait ever thrown over the longside bow?

Yes I think it is.

19 February, 2008 09:53
Windfarms don't work. They don't create enough energy, are unreliable, a blot on the landscape and the economics are a joke. Don't be suckered by the hype- "global warming" is just another stick to beat us with.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h5m9fa.jpg

19 February, 2008 09:56
In a jokey way bedfords I do think you highlight part of the issue.

Now when I were a lad, liquids came in glass bottles and everyone of them had a deposit back. Pop, beer the lot (other than milk - which was delivered by the milk man in a very eco friendly idea of he took empties away, left full ones and then reused the empties). This meant nearly all bottles were returned to be reused.

One simple measure could be to make it a legal requirement that all packaging is re-usable and carries a deposit. You'd better believe most of it would end up back at the shops.

Agree on the wind farms BC and I find it quite astonishing that we are now learning that in many respects Nuclear is the greener option. It is time every house was looking to generate most or all of their own energy needs

bedfords (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 10:13
Packaging these days is sickening. A major gripe and something that could be addressed quite easily I guess.

http://www.cricket.co.uk/shared/images/teams/yorkshire_logo.gif http://www.claretsdirect.com/sites/BURNLEY/images/Products/LES196A____B.jpg

darwen claret (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 19:53
The earth is gradually getting warmer but its only now were its beginning to see the effects. The warming is not down to man but its a cycle the earth has been going through for millions of years.The government is using global warming as an excuse to raise billions through tax etc The amount of jobs global warming research has created is millions all over the world. The amount of money generated is billions all across the world. I watched a similar program last year what opened my eyes to it. In the 70's it was all over the news that world was going back arctic conditions cause the winters was so cold!!

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
19 February, 2008 20:22
Global warming. Kerfuffle. you-luvvies An Eruption the size of { krakatoa 19th century} over one week can send the EARTH,into a deep freeze, for two hundred years. which it did.(Sm63)

27 March, 2008 11:37
I wonder how much is being spent globally on the issue of getting us all to change?

Our Govt alone, are spending untold millions. I was reading about The Carbon Trust which was set up to help organisations reduce their carbon emissions & the Government to meet its carbon reduction targets.

Despite calling itself a private company, virtually all the Carbon Trust's funding comes from the Government! at a cost in excess of £100 million per year... £12m of which, is for marketing alone!

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

27 March, 2008 12:56
Carbon Dioxide is a harmless gas. We could all stop our emissions and it would make no difference.

When we talk about using cleaner fuels, we shouldn't be thinking about Carbon Dioxide but other harmful carcinogenic gases. It's not Carbon Dioxide that's made China smoggy but all the other chemicals. This should be our priority to tackle these emissions IMO.

Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it bollocks. Not compared to how people matter.

27 March, 2008 13:00
Ah but the Chemical industries wouldn't support the govt with crazy policies like that. PC. grinning smiley

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

27 March, 2008 13:13
They are all by-products though. That's why cars have catalytic converters. If we tackled these emissions effectively, the air would be cleaner leading to greater health benefits.

Worrying about Carbon Dioxides role in the greenhouse effect is just sidetracking.

Any gas in the atmosphere has specific properties relating to how it behaves with incoming radiation from the sun or outgoing radiation from earth. Carbon Dioxide is one of many "greenhouse gases" which reflect outgoing radiation back to earth. They may not be as abundant at Carbon Dioxide but have a much stronger effect.

The most abundant green house gas is water (vapour), are we going to ban that?

handprinz (IP Logged)
27 March, 2008 15:34
I think the Global Warming theory (and that's what it is) needs some proving. I accept that we are experiencing worldwide climatic changes at the moment, but the world goes through cyclical changes like this every several thousand years. They are not therefore all man made, far from it.

As for bio-diversity, biggest joke since our goalkeeping crisis that one; it simply isn't sustainable to grow our way out of the fossil fuel shortage. The world will have a stark choice to make in a few years time given the continuing population explosion - grow crops to feed ourselves or grow and drive.

There isn't the land available in the entire world that would be needed to grow crops such as rape seed to be converted into bio-diesel. And the thing is, the oil giants and Governments of the world know this only too well.

joegbfc (IP Logged)
27 March, 2008 21:38
Global warming if it is caused by man made carbon dioxide could be halted if all the greens commited suicide on mass thus reducing co2, because as far as I can remember from School we breath oxygen in and co2 out.
But they won't they will just encourage the rest of us to cycle whilst they fly around the world to climate change conferences.
Carbon Dioxide.the new public enemy number one.

02 May, 2008 13:19
I'd forgotten this one TC, the article I linked is from the end of last year where increasing numbers of scientists are questioning the ascertations of some (notable Gore) that the debate is over and we have a scientific consensus.

Washington Post

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

O/T Global Warming - The Really inconvenient truth
02 May, 2008 12:55
is that Al Gore is involved in the carbon offset business (that acheive nothing) AND that scientific opinion that is is balls is growing (be interested in PC's view on this as well)

Global Warming - Its a tax con I tell ya

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

Re: O/T Global Warming - The Really inconvenient truth
02 May, 2008 13:00
Climatology is just statistics and we all know all about statistics.

ManHug (IP Logged)
02 May, 2008 13:01
PC we need to see more of you on here, you only crop up when geography is being discussed.

I like you.

02 May, 2008 13:03
It's all a con to get £'s from us & political in order to keep us in our place, while THEY make a fortune out of it(Sm19)

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2008 13:25 by The Collector.

02 May, 2008 13:10
I'm not surprised by that. The "green" lobby strike me as a particularly nasty Puritanical "secular religion" which can be used to bully us into all kinds of taxes and restrictions upon our freedoms. Gore always was a charlatan and a liar- before he got into the "green thing" he was notorious for his hypocrisy over the sale of tobacco in the US.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2h5m9fa.jpg

02 May, 2008 13:17
Haven't the time at the moment MH. I often have a quick peruse on here when I get the chance.

Had an exam this morning, another one is coming up next week. Need to sort out what and where I'm going when I'm out on my @#$%& next month too. Just bought a car so I need to get it sorted so I can pay for that.

Plus this isn't Geography, geography is a poor man's science, this is big boy stuff!

02 May, 2008 13:19
Agree CE.

It's good to see that there are now reports coming out, that many scientists don't agree with all the bull-@#$%& we are being fed by the politicians & `greens`.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

02 May, 2008 13:26
Bizarrely I am now reading that CO2 is actually good - in fact desparately needed by the planet.

It is starting to look like the biggest con in mans history

14 May, 2008 13:44
[www.guardian.co.uk]

This is something one of my lecturers was explaining to us a few years ago.

Basically if it's too warm for ice to form in the North Atlantic because the Gulf Stream is too warm, icebergs won't form and expel salt into the water creating the salty, cold dense water which is needed to sink to drive what's known as the Thermohaline Circulation system driving and linking together the major ocean currents. If this doesn't happen the currents will slow and so the gulf stream will slow, hence the surface temperatures in the North Atlantic will decrease and so more icebergs will form.

Just possibly another one of Earth's many feedback mechanisms.

In the interests of fairness however, another article to ponder over.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

14 May, 2008 18:27
I remember a few years ago, they reckoned the `Gulf stream` was slowing down & we were due for some russian winters.

It's all part of the Earth/Suns natural cycle & there's very little (if anything) we can do to change it.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

14 May, 2008 18:31
Like I've said though, the gulf stream slowing aids the factors that will speed it back up.

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2008 19:11
Had two Asian dudes Knock on my door earlier asking what i thought of global warming and the green tax!

I thought " Wrong colour for Jehovah's Whiteness's " But they continued about the planet and heat escaping from my windows and doors .

Then they handed over a leaflet . WHITH JEFF "BLOODY" BROWN on the cover "Safe style UK ".

Told them to bog off

14 May, 2008 19:13
Safestyle UK windows - prevent heat loss and stop global warming.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net