football
Latest News:

The Clarets and the 2019 European Cup Final
soapylily (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:38
One of my disappointments as a lad was that Celtic were the first british club to win the European cup and that burnley hadn't beaten them to it half a decade earlier. We have a manager who worked under the late great brian Clough who, 2 seasons after taking a collection of unfashionable, nay workmanlike players, up into the old first division, watched them lift the European cup. In many ways SD is a better manager than Cloughie and he certainly has the leadership and aura if not the charisma of ol' big head. The season before last Leicester won the Premiership. It is easier to get into the Champions League than do that and certainly easier than it was in Cloughie's day. Is it unimaginable that SD might take us one step further than did Harry Potts and see us atop Europe? not for me!

Re: The Clarets and the 2019 European Cup Final
NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 14:30
Fully agree with the learned Soapy's view...everything is possible, particularly with the management team, players and Board that Burnley currently possess. The investment in training facilities will help us re-create the development of players that Burnley, in the 1960'2, and 1970's, was famous for. I watched the grainy black & white TV coverage of games against Rheims and SV Hamburg, Napoli, Eintract Frankfurt......the Celtic, Burley and Forrest teams weren't made up of the 'galacticos' of their day, but were well organized, well bonded teams that collectively were more than the sum of their parts. I am hoping that SD recognizes that what is being built at Burnley is something a little special, and he may just want to hang around to see all the fruits it hopefully will bear.
Maybe SD appeals to the generation that cheered the Clarets in the late 1950's, early 1960's because he exhibits the virtues that were instilled in us by parents, teachers etc., at that time? Nothing last for ever, but just hoping the SD regime can go for at least another 2 years........

So_Cal_Claret (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 03:02
Quote:
NJ
just hoping the SD regime can go for at least another 2 years........

Be lucky to last another two weeks the way things are going....

Alfie (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 17:43
I will be happy just to keep Dyche,avoid relegation and win the FA cup this season..

Next season anything could happen..(Sm22)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 17:44 by Alfie.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 02:59
We are starting to do what we did in the championship which is astonishing to say the least. where that takes us is anybody's guess. having assessed Everton's squad it would be my advice to leave well alone and stick with us at least until the end of this season, you might surprise even your good self and realise that we are only a couple of very good signings away from achieving the unimaginable .It will cost you nowt, you are in a win win situation which is enjoyed by very few managers in football and even more so within the premier league.

So_Cal_Claret (IP Logged)
03 November, 2017 03:04
Agree BO'N. Whoever does get that job will likely be gone at the end of the season, especially if they keep Unsworth or hire BFS.

Leave that poisoned chalice alone and see where we are at the end of the season. Pick up a few more points before Jan. and hopefully the board will open the purse strings a bit (wth next season's PL money almost assured). Then at the end of the season decide which is the better option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net