football
Latest News:

Time for Video Review?
So_Cal_Claret (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 18:08
That's two questionable decisions against us in two weeks. I know things tend to even themselves out over a season, but I guarantee we won't get a "decision" against the likes of City, United, Arsenal etc. any time soon.

The technology exists, let's use it and make it an even playing field.

Re: Time for Video Review?
Jilted (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 18:18
I think the jury is still out on that one.

[www.thefootballnetwork.net]

Jilted (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 22:10
Watching MotD, looked like a definite pen to me, Pope's knee came down on the lads right foot.

Foreverclaret (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 22:29
yep agree with that Jilts.

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 22:30
Cant argue with that Jilts

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

22 October, 2017 19:16
So we have changed the rules so that any contact in the penalty area = penalty? What happened last week against West Ham? why was that not a penalty? Just looking for consistency.

The Watford penalty against Arsenal last week was also a joke (IMO) - let's get some consistency here.

3-4ft today Shanghai. Some nice lefts - bit crowded though.

Foreverclaret (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 10:17
You are correct Sol, this whole penalty issue is a joke, probably the only way to get some consistency is the video review, but even if we had it now I do believe it would still have been a Citeh penalty on Saturday.

Jilted (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 18:42
Oh dear, Sky Sports Ref Watch, ex-ref Dermot Gallagher says if there were 20 people in the room, 10 would say it was pen at Man C. and 10 would say it wasn't.
So much for video evidence.

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 05:12
The video ref will add nothing positive to the game. It will however slow the game down and take the spontinaety out of it.

The ref will never be 100% correct and neither will a video ref. Just ask anyone who've watches RL.

I don't mind them using a video after the game at looking at diving. If they hang a few diving cheats that should solve that issue

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

28 October, 2017 01:09
Quote:
Shanghai
It will however slow the game down and take the spontinaety out of it.

A video review will take less time than it takes a PL goalkeeper to take a goal kick when his team are winning away from home.

The West Brom and West Ham games were awful because of the time wasting. We do the same - as does every PL team.

We need the ref (or 4th or 5th official if we need another one) to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play and only start it again when the ball is back in play - and that's the time used to add minutes at the end of a half. Games will last approximately twice as long as they do today until the players figure out that time wasting is a waste of time. Literally killing the game.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

soapylily (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 01:22
Its a great soapbox to be on though. You would have to take a bed to the early games.

Jilted (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 08:26
Quote:
So_Cal_Claret
Quote:
Shanghai
It will however slow the game down and take the spontinaety out of it.

A video review will take less time than it takes a PL goalkeeper to take a goal kick when his team are winning away from home.

The West Brom and West Ham games were awful because of the time wasting. We do the same - as does every PL team.

We need the ref (or 4th or 5th official if we need another one) to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play and only start it again when the ball is back in play - and that's the time used to add minutes at the end of a half. Games will last approximately twice as long as they do today until the players figure out that time wasting is a waste of time. Literally killing the game.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

[www.thefootballnetwork.net]

NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 13:54
Other sports manage a video review - most of those sports didn't embrace the video review wholeheartedly at the beginning, but recognized that the speed and outcome of the games is way beyond where it was when we gave these games to the world. Now, the video review is actually integral in cricket and rugby, and ADDS to the overall experience.
It won't be perfect - that penalty at the Etihad last week will be debated for ever! I don't think what can be argued is the players over reaction............and perhaps that's where video ref can help to remove the simulation/histrionics/Klinsman-inspired diving. Perhaps as well, the ref could have determined that the histrionics OFFSET the contact.....football is afterall a contact sport

Jilted (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 18:35
He shoots, he scores, the crowd go wild, the ref asks for video ref, two minutes later no goal.

Alfie (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 16:59
Yep,it's inevitable that is what will happen with all the money in the game nowadays..

Why fix something if it isn't broke

NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 14:40
Fair comment, perhaps the debate/controversy aspect of NOT having instant replay is better for the game? Keeps the pundits employed, gives us a topic to discuss
I'd still like to see it used to stamp out simulation........and not retrospective to a game, but contemporanious. If a player is caught, by camera, trying to influence the officials by simulation, the ref gets a notification on his wrist-PDA (same as for the goal line technology) and can issue a yellow card, or a red card if the simulation takes place in the opponents penalty area....whadyathink?? The game doesn't get held up, same as when a foul occurs but advantage is played......the ref can sanction the player at the next break in play.

Jilted (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 11:56
While the ref in the stand is looking at different angle video reviews of a foul, a free kick is given, an opposing player is booked for not retreating ten yards, the diver scores a goal, the game restarts and the ref is then told the goal scorer should be red carded as it’s his second yellow, would the goal stand, would the opposition player booked for encroachment have his yellow rescinded?

NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 15:03
Good question - and great scenario...........following your example, the next break in play would be the awarding of a yellow card to the player who did not retreat 10 yards. If there is overwhelming video evidence from ref-in-the-stands regarding the diver, the diver is sanctioned at this time, otherwise play continues. It normally takes about 20-30 seconds to get the offending player infront of the ref and for the ref to book him. Those 20-30 seconds could be employed by the ref-in-the-stands/video ref. In your scenario, we would know BEFORE he scores his goal.......and he would only score if he is not proven guilty in the video review.
Would the yellow card for the player not retreating 10 yards be rescinded? Not in my book, the ref on the field is the ultimate authority. Video refs are there to help, not to take over decision making (except on goal lines)
Technology is going to be contentious - the game is already frequently interrupted and delayed by injury, throw ins etc., so I don't want to see the game yet more broken up.
Watched Gooners v Citeh yesterday.............2 very contentious calls - Sterling's penalty and the 3rd goal..............I thought both were wrongly awarded on the basis of seeing the situations from a couple of angles. NBCSN pundits also thought the ref got those 2 decisions wrong. We will never have 100% accuracy, and we need the game to flow, but we also need to reduce the number of glaring mistakes and rid the game of simulation.

Jilted (IP Logged)
07 November, 2017 10:08
Say it’s the encroaching players second yellow, the ref sends him off, only to find it wasn’t a foul at all, is the player allowed back on the park?
The only way for video reviews to work at the match is to stop play.
Seen reviews done on the telly, different angles can tell different stories, the video ref would have to View all angles in slow mo, which would take a few minutes.

NJMcWilliam (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 14:42
The NFL use of video replay is NOT what I would recommend for football (as we know it!) - American football is staccato, designed to fit the frequent interjection of commercial breaks. So how do we stop play, but at the same time keep the game flowing? Do we continue to live with the declining standards in referring? There needs to be some more experimental use of video technology - you are right Jilts, there are going to be scenarios that haven't been foreseen which will challenge this. I think folks want to see games flow, especially so now as the game (due to agronomy, coaching, skill levels and TV money) has changed from that what we grew up watching.
Video technology in the penalty area would have got us a result v Arsenal last season...and I know folks are going to point out bad calls that have GONE our way!!! Maybe we just like to have something to chew on and @#$%& about?!!!

Jilted (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 18:45
There has been talks about clubs being given two challenges each half, a bit like tennis or cricket, not the ref asking for the review but the teams.
Or [www.thefootballnetwork.net]
like American football, while tv stops play for ads, the ref can review replays, heaven help us if we go down this roads, more power to telly, which I think will be the future, revenue, revenue, revenue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net