fred dibnah (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 20:13
The FA are to speak with Roy Hodgson :
[www1.skysports.com]

I thought the job was Redknapp's ?

Re: New England manager
LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 20:18
It's like a Kilby appointment, sensible and won't bring the kind of baggage Redknapp would bring with him.

It's like Kilby going with a Howe rather than a Warnock.

Fair play, I like Hodgson.

soapylily (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 20:52
The difference between the two is that Hodgson has already proved a successful international manager. I still dont think he was given a faircrack of the whip at Liverpool. He must be an incredibly bright chap: in addition to his native English, he speaks fluent Norwegian, Swedish, Japanese, German and Italian, as well as some Korean, Danish, French and Finnish.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 10:30
Uninspiring is my reaction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 10:46
I'm split on this. His record in England is patchy, a good start at Rovers which declined in second half of season and culminated in a sacking n second season. Did well at Fulham with smaller resources, didn't work at Liverpool. The other big club he managed was Inter, where I think you could describe his record as 'patchy', and he only lasted 18 months or so.

Hi greatest success seems to have been with clubs/countries with more limited resources. Another point to note is Fulham is the only job he's stayed in longer than about 18 months in the last 20 years!

Much has been made of his international management but he whilst he did well to get the Swiss to 1994 and Euro 96 (he didn't manage them at Euro 96). His time at Finland was not exactly stellar.

For me if you scratch below the surface his managerial record doesn't quite match up to this 'strong cv' message I've seen from a few media bods.

I hope it works out but I fear this could prove to be another McClaren/Taylor appointment.

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

aggi (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 12:41
I suspect he's going to struggle with the media as he doesn't spend enough time being interviewed in his car. To be honest though, from my experience the media have the fans far more rampantly pro-Redknapp than the fans actually are.

I'd say his CV stacks up against Redknapp's but, as LS1882 says, it's not up there with someone like Scolari.

I guess he may be a target to revamp England with a view to a consistent policy from the youths and aligning the training and development.

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

30 April, 2012 12:58
Quote:
LightcliffeClaret
It's like a Kilby appointment, sensible and won't bring the kind of baggage Redknapp would bring with him.

Quite right LightcliffeClaret, Roy Hodgson would be my kind of appointment. He is out of contract come the end of the season, so there would be no compensation to pay West Brom for his services.

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 13:29
Young up-and-coming manager - I like it!

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 13:53
He won't be given a chance by the media and we could end up with a McClaren type situation.
Shame because I think he's a decent manager for an ex @#$%&.

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 14:32
I hope you are not blaming the media for Mclaren being rubbish? I was so confident when he was appointed he would be shite I bet MH we wouldn't qualify for the Euros - and we didn't.

He was rubbish and it was an appointment almost as bizarre as Brian Laws to Burnley - and most people knew it.

As I say with Hodgson, not sure his record is all that some would have us believe, I've got my doubts (though nowhere near the Mclaren worries) but we shall see. Personally was more in favour of Redknapp but that is mainly because I feel at the senior level the players need more motivation and man management than anything and I suspect this would be more Redknapp's forte than Hodgson.

IF he takes it then, good luck.

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 15:42
Not comparing abilities no. What I meant was we'll end in a similar situation, struggling to qualify with a manager who gets laid into each day by the press if they deserve it or not.
You need the press on your side or they will just create problems for you. Hodgson is not going to have them on side simply because he's not Redknapp.

LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 17:18
If we're talking purely football then the best man for the job out of the two is Redknapp, but the FA have obviously decided they can't be bothered with all the shite that Redknapp brings with him.

But then they did appoint Venables once.

(Sm1)

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 19:33
I'm not sure it matters who gets the job..we don't have the players to win a world cup or euro champs.
not within the next 4 years anyway.

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 21:39
Redknapp would cost the FA at least £10 million compo for Spurs.
Hodgson will cost them feck all.

It's the reverse of the Mrs Merton question to Debbie, "What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels"?

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 16:41
He's been appointed - 4 year deal.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 21:23
Quote:
vinnicombe
Not comparing abilities no. What I meant was we'll end in a similar situation, struggling to qualify with a manager who gets laid into each day by the press if they deserve it or not.
You need the press on your side or they will just create problems for you. Hodgson is not going to have them on side simply because he's not Redknapp.

Totally agree with that, Hodgson had better be a winner because there won't be a honeymoon period, 'Turnip', 'The Wally with the Brolly', we haven't seen nothing yet if Roy Boy doesn't deliver from the word go.

They're sharpening the knives and dreaming up the headlines even now.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 23:29
Don't think it'll matter to be honest.....the last 7 years or so has taken the verve out of the average England fan imo. Hodgson has nowt to lose and the press will know it............ thick sh*ts that they are it won't stop em but if I was Roy Boy I wouldn't give a flying feck and would let em know it. As for the appointment I have been surprised at myself in not objecting to Roy Boy on any point.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 00:48
If England qualify for the 2014 World cup AND Euro 2016 with hodgson in charge,i'll be delighted

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net