Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Burnley manager, burnley fans.
Posted by: peepodaylane (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 00:25

Right, season's all but finished, we were just about average. Nobody, but nobody critices Howe. Fair enough, I wouldn't want us to get that that lot down the road.My worry is that time will just pass by, the relativley recent wembley promotion will just become a distant memory as we prat about in the no man's land of mid table obscurity. We thought we could retain this status, we had a side worthy of promotion not too long ago. After Brian Laws was sacked we moved on to the present incument, Eddie Howe. Surely the usual stuff about giving him time, let him have another season, let him bring in all his own players is over.We could go on endlessly quoting buying and seeling prices for players, balancing the books, I'm not intersted in those stats. Give us a top class side or go, Irrespective of who you are, how well you deal with radio Lancs, we want those heady days back again and quickly.
Rovers are hopefully doomed, they will see a massive drop in their already skakey fanbase. Their problems financially are horrendous with their inept owners, We need to decide whether we can realistically reach for the skies with our meagre resources and limited squad and this manager, or his fate should be sealed if he fails to deliver next seasom.
There was lot's of talk about five year plans, and it taking time to build a new side. We never offered that to Brian Laws. In a relativley good position, he was spurned by Clarets fans, the idiotic local press and media highlighted this and he was history. I for one am not convinced by our present gaffer.I want ambition in the boardroom but infused with ruthlessness. I don't want to be an also ran again.It's time to get very tough.and honest.

Re: Burnley manager, burnley fans.
Date: 21 April, 2012 00:29

Come to think of it, I don't know why I included Burnley fans in the title. It's irrelevant, please accept my apologies.

Posted by: Enola Gay (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 01:07

There was lot's of talk about five year plans, and it taking time to build a new side. We never offered that to Brian Laws.

And with good reason - he was a f***ing joke of an appointment. Anyone who thought he was the answer to keeping us in the Premier League or getting us back up there once we'd gone down was an imbecile.

We could go on endlessly quoting buying and seeling prices for players, balancing the books, I'm not intersted in those stats

Shame, because the board are.

Howe inherited a squad that couldn't play the way he wanted and then saw the best bits of it sold off. To have had even a sniff of the playoffs at any stage of this season was doing damned well.

Howe has made mistakes this season but I feel a f***load more comfortable with him as manager than with the complete charlatan he replaced.

Posted by: ClanClaret (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 01:16

A MAN, at this time of night5 is MR HOWE ON'T WAY UPT-OUT. CLAN CAN'T DO WE OLL THIS READIN(Sm128)(Sm63)

Date: 21 April, 2012 01:26

come on yea SAY emk..(Sm100)(Sm63)

Date: 21 April, 2012 01:58

A bit of a reality check is due at this point. Brian Laws was an ex professional footballer with Burnley. His credentials seemed fine at the time of his appointment. He was interviewed by the board of a club still in the top flight, are we to suggest this same board, who appointed Coyle gave us all a clueless buffoon ?
He was bad as they come you suggest , why ?How do you know he wouldn,t have improved given time.I assume it's okay to appoint a manager who decides to @#$%& off at the first sniff of failure as Mr Coyle did.Can you honestly claim to know the facts ?
Why is Howe allowed to oversee a team in transition, but Laws wasn't.Look at where we finished for god's sake.
It's a joke to suggest Laws was useless, offensive and unfair.We are now a nothing team in a division below where we should be. I'm ick to death of berating managers for no good reason.

Posted by: BBC 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 02:12

Wow, too many points to address each individually.

First, I watched Burnley through the Bond era, the big money signings and the fall out where we struggled financially to the point where we almost went bust a season before Orient.

If you want @#$%& or bust nowadays your basically signing the death warrant on the club, we cannot afford to pay big fees and big wages on players, because we are not a big enough club (ie fanbase or global) to finance it.

Brian Laws was given a better chance than Laws he was given a squad who got us up and money to spend to try and secure Premiership status and/or build for a imediate return, he spent he failed.

Eddie Howe I believe was given a remit of what he has to spend on players and he in return used this to build Burnley in his own mantra (with youth). He has been given enough rope i agree, he has made hard choices, none bigger than Martin Dobson, who he replaced with Jason Blake. He also has let go our most experienced players and high earners and replaced them with younger more saleable assets.

So do I think this season is wasted? I say no, it needed to happen and Eddies way was swift and almost harmless, were still in the division and we are at a point where we can bring in players on our terms.

Posted by: Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 10:03

The question I keep coming back to and its not really a Howe question is...

how in 2 years have we managed to go through £32million para money... normal club income possibly £18million... plus player sales...

and can still at the moment only just put a team out with a bench full of kids, and the squad down to its bare bones...

At the last two homes games I've looked at whats been on offer and thought not a lot to show for £50million+ is it.

From that perspective Howe has worked miracles to get results in the last half dozen games.

Its what's going on upstairs that puzzles me.

Nowhere near £50million has gone on player wages over the last 2 years.

A season in gthe prem... two seasons of para money... and still playing the poverty card.

people are voting with their wallets and not renewing...

Posted by: vinnicombe (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 10:29

The question of where the cash has gone is a good one. It's never been probably explained. Just the usual, well it's expensive is football.
I would say the point about not being able to fill the bench is slightly misleading. We could easily fill it with the likes of Tracey, Hines, Bikey, Long, MacDonald, Harvey etc but they've taken the decision it will either do them more good to be out playing regular football than sitting on the bench or they are a big waste of time and money and are better off away from us.

Date: 21 April, 2012 10:59

True enough Vinnicombe but I'd hazard a guess they're all on the way out... Bikey definitely... plus Easton...

At the point of letting them all go out on loan we were still in with a faint chance of top 6 so it seemed a strange thing to do unless... he had already decided they are surplus to requirements.

Date: 21 April, 2012 11:09

Brian Laws was an ex professional footballer with Burnley.

Utterly irrelevant to his ability to manage a football club.

His credentials seemed fine at the time of his appointment.

800-ish games in the lower leagues and lower half of the Championship and just potted by a club in the relegation places of the Division below us at the time. If that's fine credentials I'd love to see what you'd class as underqualified.

How do you know he wouldn,t have improved given time.

Because he didn't in the time he was given. He was bloody lucky to get as long as he did, a board with some balls would have potted him over the summer after the spineless capitulation he presided over in the second half of the Premier League season.

We are now a nothing team in a division below where we should be.

The idea that a team with one top-flight season in about 40 years should be in the Premier League is bollocks. As for us being a 'nothing' team, blame the money wasted by your hero on new contracts for players who should have been moved on and signings like Iwelumo, Wallace and Marney; players who've largely underperformed and who we'll see no resale value on.

A dull, uninspiring journeyman punching way above his weight who loaded the club with average players on big money. Laws was the wrong man for the job when he was appointed and all he did in the year he was here was prove we should have left him on Jobseekers.

Date: 21 April, 2012 11:58

Easy to be critical with hindsight , I guarentee you were not saying the same on match days when Iwelumo was banging the goals in.No, you wait and then to jump on the bandwagon.The point about the 40 years in the wilderness is totally irrelevant. It 's about where we did actually end up , the top flight.
The issue over parachute payments and the lacklustre squad we have now can not be overlooked,
Massive amounts of money going through the clubs coffers as never before.Do you really believe Laws or Coyle for that matter could simply bring in any player they fancied ?
No, of course they couldn't. Howe's position on a limited budget is one that his predecessors also faced.
If all that's left is clinging on to the forlorn hope that nobody buys Rodriguez, we are hardly in a great position for the next season.For the record, just have a look at where we were when Brian Laws departed.

Posted by: aggi (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 12:32

Quote:
Davet
Nowhere near £50million has gone on player wages over the last 2 years.

Not far off, £43m or so I think.

Regardless of whether Laws was the right man or not, the switch in policy from young players with a resale value to journeymen on big money cost us.

The trouble with trying to throw money at it is that you need very deep pockets as if it doesn't work out the first season (Leicester, maybe West Ham) you need to keep on bearing those costs for the next year or the year after.

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

Date: 21 April, 2012 12:47

Aggi I'm told its currently this season at 12.5 million... so what was it for last season... might be wrong but at its highest was it ever more than £17million

Date: 21 April, 2012 12:50

The party line and spin is "player wages"...

But £50million in the last 2 years?

Posted by: LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 13:14

Can't believe anyone defending the man who set this club back about 5 years, but to be fair to Laws, he's not the only one to blame.

Date: 21 April, 2012 16:56

£19.5m last year. £22.5m the year before.

If we've cut it to £12.5m then it's not surprising we've struggled.

Date: 21 April, 2012 17:02

Whatever the wages... whoever to point the finger at... Laws... the Board for appointing him in the first place...Coyle for walking out... there currently ain't much to show for all the money gone since Jan 2010...

Posted by: Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 17:24

Was Barry Kilby 'naive' to expect us to set up for ten years, or have we made monumental errors in managing our finances?

It's frustrating to have no legacy of our stay in the Prem; we still don't own the Turf, we still don't have a new stand and to see Blackpool, for all their faults, make it look so easy to get another crack at promotion - something's gone very wrong, or more likely a series of events.

On a positive, despite a frustrating season I think Eddie's done a very decent job in difficult circumstances. We'll lose Jay, but hopefully he can bring in more players of Austin's and Trippier's ilk. They won't all come off, but as this is our new approach we have to take a chance.

Date: 23 April, 2012 00:51

From what I remember the 10 years comment was made some years back and football changed a bit inbetween (although ten years was optimistic, maybe five).

The club is in a far healthier position than it would have been if we'd lost at Wembley but, as a legacy, reducing our net liabilities position by £10m isn't too catchy (and is really just delaying the inevitable unless something else is done too).

The sad thing is, virtually none of the clubs who've gone up and down again have much of a legacy (unless you count Benito Carbone & Bradford maybe). A shame we didn't learn from the lessons before us but maybe a suggestion that there's only so much we could have done.

Posted by: Mauritius Claret (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2012 18:48

We had supposedly a rather good squad when we were in the Premiership . we happen to beat the best clubs . all changed with the arrival of Brian Laws .Hecwas not good enough for Sheffield Wednesdat and how come that he was chosen for Burnley ,then a Premiership club .He could spend to have affordable players .
i would honestly say the the Board of Directors had taken the wrong decision as they went fopr cheap . there were many proven Managers available at the time .they had the necessary experience as they had coached some Premiership clubs but alas brian came and we were lost .

I would not say that our young Manager is bad but I would say that he lacks experience as he had never involved in the Championship division and not even as a player i presume . he will take some time to mature but in the long run he will be OK .Give him one more season .

Posted by: Casper (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2012 08:34

Got to move on now from this guys!

Laws was a poor appointment for the club and hindsight has proved this.

The Club took on a flawed journeyman survival strategy which backfired.
The club eventually realised this and have implemented a new strategy based on youth/resale and living within means. In terms of where we sit with "Fair Play" regs it may well give us a head start on other clubs over the next couple of years.

Its not a crowd pleasing strategy but probably the right one.

In terms of EH - Personally I like how he has managed his limited budget and feel quite optimistic about next season.

However the past is the past and we cant change it. The future is about learning from what has been and making sure that you dont trip over your bollocks in the same way you did last time - Move on.

Posted by: colinwaldron (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2012 10:47

"Right, season's all but finished, we were just about average"
It was what I expected; I'm not shocked or irrate at it at all!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

Posted by: Danger Fourpence (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2012 11:21

unfortunately, 50million, 90million however much we got from the premier league isn't actually a lot of money in football terms when you're not backing it up with much and a lot of people still seem to need to come to terms with that.

there's a lot of ribbing of liverpool at the moment and the 100million they've spent on about 5/6 players only to have their worst season in years.

now, thats liverpool, 40k crowds, a global brand and now a mid-table premier league club.

contrast that with burnley, 15k crowds in a small, deprived town, constantly making a loss each season.

its an extreme example i know, but it shows that 90million isn't much in football and that the likes of peepodaylane have no idea what they are talking about.

thats not to say we couldn't have done better with the money, i'll always believe we could, but its funny that the OP champions the cause of Laws as the single biggest mistake we made was hiring and then not firing him at the end of the PL season.

Posted by: That's Mr Kilby To You (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2012 12:44

Quote:
vinnicombe
The question of where the cash has gone is a good one. It's never been probably explained. Just the usual, well it's expensive is football.

That Deloitte and Touche report wasn’t cheap you know.

Date: 29 April, 2012 00:26

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and I do know what I'm talking about
Coyle came here to this "small, deprived town" He utilised all the available albeit limited resources, and almost got us the league cup. He did get us promoted to the most prestigious league in world football. By that fact aLONE, IT sHOULD DISPEL any myths about little town team nonsense.His untimeley departure opened the door for Brian Laws,He had to take the reins for the battle to keep us there. All across the land, clubs regularly bin managers with proven credentials as ex players and with managerial nous.Fergie hmself was famously within a game of a sacking.Forget the parachute stats, we had a board every single one of us approved of and yet we slagged Laws of without merit.Now look at us, 13th in the second tier, do you love Howe so much that you fail to question his value to this team. Why the blind acceptance of mediocrity?He has done a lot worse than Lawsand yet the Blonde headed one continues to avoid criticism for serving up a very uninspiring ,dull side. We are back to also ran status . Losing weekly to very average sides. Nowhere near good enough. Burnley are now a million miles away from wembley and success. you can quote any number of silly figures about financial hardships, better men than our present boss have rallied the troops a lot more effectivley on meagre resources.You are a sheep like follower of loving the pointless and unecessary struggle. We had a chance and we blew it. No ambition, no passion, lacklustre. I hope you are equally pleased next season , Iwon't be..

Date: 29 April, 2012 00:38

Ian Holloway is not given to accepting small town nonentity status too readily, apparantly, we are . I'm not. I detest workshy halfwits.

Date: 29 April, 2012 00:41

BURNLEY'S CUP FINAL WILL BE TWO GAMES NEXT SEASON, if, if, tha BU$$ERS DROP DOWN, AS IT MUST BE 20/-25YEARS SINCE WE Clarets Beat EM. AT THA MOMENT THATS Best WE Clarets Can Do Pray On't A Lame Dog Called WOVERS.(Sm100)(Sm63)

Posted by: Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
Date: 29 April, 2012 07:06

Laws should have had us comfortably in the play-off places, pushing for automatic. He blew our best chance of bouncing straight back up, becoming a yo-yo team and building from there.

Blackpool have shown how to do the 'easy' part, but if they don't make it they will be in a similar predicament to us; skint and back to treading water.

This set of players we have should probably have been in a relegation battle, but we finished comfortably outside the relegation zone and for a while had a decent shout for the play-offs.

I'm still positive, but it's difficult to see which direction we're heading.

Posted by: Casper (IP Logged)
Date: 29 April, 2012 07:28

peepo - how you doing?

I have had a quick look through your last post and taken the only two attempted "facts" that you have quoted and then another line in there which kind of answers your own er argument(?)

1) "He has done a lot worse than Laws"
2) "Losing weekly to very average sides."

"you can quote any number of silly figures"

Date: 29 April, 2012 08:00

HOWE, HAS done ok, he plays his cards PLAYERS he has at Burnley fc Able to.(Sm128)(Sm63)

Date: 30 April, 2012 07:33

It really is bizarre beyond belief that someone can spend half a post criticising other people's perceived acceptance of mediocrity, while spending the other half of defending Brian Laws.

A truly mind-blowing lack of awareness.

Date: 30 April, 2012 08:00

£4 million loss last year, players Coyle signed to sit on thier backsides on huge wages! Laws for all his faults tried to cut the squad, but his was seemed to upset the players and they were the key to his downfall.

Now the blond one without blame as you put it, has been straight with us (imo) he wants us to bring our own players through! Something coyle neglected, and as soon as we hit the safety point he filled the bench with scholars.

What ever yoy see P, I see a bright future, and one where Burnley will be one of the cleverest tea,s on and off the pitch.

Good management by the board and by Howe and his team.

Posted by: dandeclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 15:40

BBC2 - Huge wages - Jensen best contract ever, Iwelumo, Cort, Marney, Wallace - huge wages, expensive flops each and every one of them. Who were the huge wages Coyle paid for who didn't play?

Coyle brought through Rodriguez and Alex Macdonald.

I don't see a bright future I am afraid, but it's not down to the manager who has done about as well as can be expected. The EPP, the reduction of funding to the youth setup, the Financial Fair Play rules, will all be huge hinderances to get over for our club.

Posted by: ManHug (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 15:54

Can't even be arsed reading all of it again and replying to everything that I want to comment on, but, for me, Howe has made a mess of it and I think it's gonna get worse.

His way of putting both a squad together and then a team from within that messed up squad is laughable, the football is boring and we, to me, seem like a lost bunch of kids that EVERYONE knows are an easy touch.

I think we might go down next Season, he's made a real pigs ear of taking over a top six side and spending £4M/£5M and having the mess we have now - with a loose cannon as Chair next Season, rather than BK - I see dark, dark times ahead and to be honest I've given up - I just go to the games and whatever happens, happens.

£500 to see 6/7 wins last Season tho was pathetic and insulting - if only the manager had a brain.

http://www.songpeople.co.uk/images/stories/george-berry.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

Date: 30 April, 2012 16:07

Dande

Van der Shaff / Diego Penny both signed on big deals.

MacDonald was given a go from the bench and Rodriguez had a fair shot until we went up then he just wasnt given a chance! than went to Thompson who was basically retired for eighteen bleeding months!

Kevin McDonald/Paterson/Eagles all signed for decent fees.

Then with a every growing squad, he signed pn premiership wages, remember the 40% wage rise for the superstars already in the valt, Mears/Guerrero/Easton/Eckersley/Bikey/Edgar all on big money.

But look at the squad now from that time we have Jensen (on his best contract yes, but nowhere near any of the above), Duff, Edgar and Paterson! Remember Jay and McCann are from the youth set up.

And im not even starting on Laws...look at the senior players Coyle had at his command.

So looking at the wage bill, Howe has been superb in cutting it

Posted by: Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 16:27

Quote:
ManHug
Can't even be arsed reading all of it again and replying to everything that I want to comment on, but, for me, Howe has made a mess of it and I think it's gonna get worse.
His way of putting both a squad together and then a team from within that messed up squad is laughable, the football is boring and we, to me, seem like a lost bunch of kids that EVERYONE knows are an easy touch.

I think we might go down next Season, he's made a real pigs ear of taking over a top six side and spending £4M/£5M and having the mess we have now - with a loose cannon as Chair next Season, rather than BK - I see dark, dark times ahead and to be honest I've given up - I just go to the games and whatever happens, happens.

£500 to see 6/7 wins last Season tho was pathetic and insulting - if only the manager had a brain.

We were 9th when he took over? We had a wage bill of circa 19.5 million, 19.5 million!!!!!

Eddie Howe has been given a clear remit, replace older players, on high wages, with no sale value, with younger players on lower wages with a potential sell on value. On this measure then I'd say he's done well. Seems to have cut the wage bill by a third almost immediately and, I suspect, for the next season down to under 8 million. Most of his wage budget was going on players who Laws and Coyle signed on huge wages (incl Cort, Wallace, Bikey, Jensen, Marney etc etc). He was also hampered by the late sales of Eagles, Mears and Fox - with minimal money made available to replenish the squad.

Is it the right strategy? No idea but it may well be the only one we can afford to follow. If there is blame to be handed out then it goes to Coyle, Laws and the board, so far EH has managed pretty well. This coming season will show us what our future is - though already there are stories of clubs circling not only Jay but also Trippier and Ings

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

Posted by: dandeclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 16:33

Quote:
BBC 2
Dande
Van der Shaff / Diego Penny both signed on big deals.
(Pre Premiership)[/i]

MacDonald was given a go from the bench and Rodriguez had a fair shot until we went up then he just wasnt given a chance! (When He broke his ankle) [i][/color]
than went to Thompson who was basically retired for eighteen bleeding months!

(Coyle played Thompson often, he was a key part of promotion, a free transfer, wasn't a waste at all, he was retired by Laws who replaced him with Iwilllumpit)[color=#FF0000][color=#FF0000][/color]

Kevin McDonald/Paterson/Eagles all signed for decent fees (And paterson and Eagles were key parts of promotion. I don't understand the point here - was this money wasted?)
[/i]
Then with a every growing squad, he signed pn premiership wages, remember the 40% wage rise for the superstars already in the valt, Mears/Guerrero/Easton/Eckersley/Bikey/Edgar all on big money.

(Easton, Eckersley, Edgar not on big money, Bikey Mears, Fletcher all played)[i][/color]

But look at the squad now from that time we have Jensen (on his best contract yes, but nowhere near any of the above) (Disagree with that - will be on more than Edgar, Easton, Eckersley)[color=#FF0000], Duff, Edgar and Paterson! Remember Jay and McCann are from the youth set up.

And im not even starting on Laws...look at the senior players Coyle had at his command.

So looking at the wage bill, Howe has been superb in cutting it

Wouldn't argue Howe has been good at cutting the mess that Laws left, but disagree on the Coyle front.

Posted by: Danger Fourpence (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 16:47

Quote:
peepodaylane
Wrong, wrong, wrong, and I do know what I'm talking about

funny that you completely disproved the opening line of your post with the remainder of it.

Date: 30 April, 2012 16:59

Think you need to work on your HTML Dan.

Basically we got carried away, even though we said weren't going to, and now Howe has been brought in to reverse that without the football side suffering too much.

My viewpoint is probably a bit different as we won the few home games I went to plus did pretty well away (we won about 60% of the games I went to) although I did see some shockers at Southampton and Peterborough.

I remember there were people earlier this season who were convinced we were going to be relegated, it ended up with us still having a hope of the play-offs until the last half-dozen games.

We're a selling club, unless we get a stadi-arena and it makes us millions then that's the undeniable reality. At the moment Howe seems to be reasonably successful at bringing in and developing those assets with a resale value. Whether he can manage that and keep the football going is the big challenge.

Date: 30 April, 2012 21:49

Don't seem to to remember even noticing Jay Rod until the start our first Season back at this level when laws ran Aug-Oct with a front three of Eagles Iwelumo Rodriguez. Games like Bolton in the Cup, Rod was amazing and proved me wrong. The Cowardly one had no interest in Jay, it was Laws who turned to him, kept him in the team and 'made him' (albeit only after Billy Sharp turned us down after we agreed a Fee of him, which would have slowed up his development even further than the rot Coward put on it).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

Posted by: vinnicombe (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 22:31

Did you miss his winner against Fulham in cup? His 30 yarder against Forest? His outside of the boot finish against Palace?
Not much to notice there.

Posted by: Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 22:39

You sure manhug? Played 35 times in the promotion season, 25 in the league. Coyle gave him his first start I think?

Damaged his ankle which meant he didn't feature in the prem, not down to either manager.

Played 48 games back in this division under both Laws and Howe.

The facts do not back up your post in anyway.

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

Date: 30 April, 2012 22:48

Quote:
ManHug
The Cowardly one had no interest in Jay...

Apart from the 35 appearances (albeit almost exclusively from the bench) he gave him in 08/09, that is.

Date: 30 April, 2012 22:55

So, go on then, I can't be arsed but you footbells probably be can.
From Jay turning Pro list out in date order all his appearances, including the date, games missed in-between, mins played if was Sub and didn't start and goals scored.

Bet it makes interesting reading, I don't miss a game anyway and I know when Jay 'broke through' and became Jay and it was on the back of Billy Sharp turning us down.

Date: 30 April, 2012 23:11

I don't watch us that much but seem to remember a good number of goals in the promotion season that made an impression.

Posted by: bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
Date: 30 April, 2012 23:19

Quote:
ManHug
Don't seem to to remember even noticing Jay Rod until the start our first Season back at this level when laws ran Aug-Oct with a front three of Eagles Iwelumo Rodriguez. Games like Bolton in the Cup, Rod was amazing and proved me wrong. The Cowardly one had no interest in Jay, it was Laws who turned to him, kept him in the team and 'made him' (albeit only after Billy Sharp turned us down after we agreed a Fee of him, which would have slowed up his development even further than the rot Coward put on it).

35 appearances in the promotion season under Coyle, when he was just 19 years old, he even came on at Wembley. Hardly counts as having 'no interest' in him. If you didn't notice him mate, just what were you watching then ?

As for Laws 'making him', if Brian had really put his faith in Jay and gone with him and Thommo(Sm152) instead of going up a blind alley with that useless lump Iwelumo, then he might still be in a job, and we might have been in the play-offs.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Date: 01 May, 2012 06:50

He played that wanky 433 didnt he though pal so wouldnt have been a pairing.
Like I said if any footbells can feel like listing every game BFC has had over the last 4 years and then note Jays starts, sub appearances of how long and goals against them all, noting the two times he's been injured and ruled out of course, then I think we will see when he really broke through.

Posted by: soapylily (IP Logged)
Date: 01 May, 2012 08:36

Quote:
ManHug
the football is boring

and yet Burnley have had more attempts on goal than any other Championship team this season....

Burnley is a small town. Not much smaaller than Blackburn, Wigan, Narch, Stoke. No reason why we couldn't survive in the Premiership.

Date: 01 May, 2012 10:41

Population's about a third of Norwich or Stoke. Wigan have been funded by DW and stayed up by the skin of their teeth a number of times. Blackburn plummeted once their funding was cut.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net