football
Latest News:

The FA Cup Final
halesowen wolf (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 19:19
Why are the English FA so screwed in the head???

They change all of the Premier league game times on Saturday 5th May so 3pm Kick offs wont interfere with the FA Cup. So they change this to a 5.15 Kick off Numbskulls. The FA Cup has (Did have a good Tradition) 3pm Kick off on the Following Saturday after the last league game.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Dazzab73/801442ff-f5ee-4126-a5e5-1a7c5200d195_zps8173e75d.jpg

Re: The FA Cup Final
morty77 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:20
At least it won't affect you and Wolves next season Haleswinking smiley

Cheltenham Nap Champion 07/08
Cheltenham Nap Champion 09/10
Paddock Naps Champion 2013/14
WE DARED TO DREAM!
THEY SENT US KEAN!

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:15
They did announce it a year ago - been plenty of time for people to object

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:27
Would they have done anything if people did object?

17 April, 2012 19:58
Who can say, nobody did, until a few days before.

I can't really see the issue, does it make any difference?

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

17 April, 2012 21:46
The difference is The FA Cup was always played on the Saturday following all league games have been played. It was always the last match & had a Saturday 3pm Kick Off. No wonder its lost its Giant Killing instincts

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Dazzab73/801442ff-f5ee-4126-a5e5-1a7c5200d195_zps8173e75d.jpg

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 23:50
Wolfee well said, the INGURLISH FA LOST ITS WAY YEARS AGO.
for me, havEn't watch tha FA Cup in't years and years.
today most blokes go shoppin or golf or DIY or fishin on that day or a run-out in't car wi kids to a fun- park.(Sm100)(Sm63)

ManHug (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 05:56
I didn't know until now but I don't like it. It ok to keep saying it was announced a yeah ago but some of us don't follow every bit of football. I don't watch live games, or round ups apart from out goals on a Sat Nt on BBC1, I don't read the back of newspapers and, apart from here, don't use a football forum.

I dont like this, yet another reason why football is utterly shite in the modern day.

Apart from Clarets and England this was the ONE game in a Season I'd watch, and id take it all in from like Noon, Road To Wembley, coaches arriving, parades etc - now I won't see it as im seeing Happy Mondays that evening...and after missing first one since Cov Spurs I doubt I'll feel the need to sit down and watch one again sad smiley

The FA Cup Final was my final link to 'general' football away from Club & Country.

Looks like I'll go a full Season without watching a single game.

Poor.

http://www.songpeople.co.uk/images/stories/george-berry.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

soapylily (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 06:51
At least the Torygraph are onside:
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

aggi (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 09:57
The trouble is that the game's been moved a week earlier so that players will have more time to recover before Euro 2012 ...

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

ManHug (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 11:40
Games are made earlier all time for World Cup / Euros.

Should have been 3PM Sat, why does Euros affect KO time of that? Play at same time as PL games if needs be? Have PL games on Sunday?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

18 April, 2012 11:43
Pubs used to close at 11 and night clubs at 2 (with a 3 hour mid afternoon close on Sundays). Things change, lots of them.

Tradition for traditions sake is pointless.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 13:12
Quote:
Longsiders1882
Pubs used to close at 11 and night clubs at 2 (with a 3 hour mid afternoon close on Sundays). Things change, lots of them.
Tradition for traditions sake is pointless.

But so is change for changes sake Longsiders, or in this case for money-grubbing's sake at the expense of the fans.

Allowing pubs to stay open after 11 benefits the people using them. How does a 5.15 KO benefit the fans going to the Cup Final ?

The 3pm KO gave everyone a chance to get to the game on time and get home again afterwards, it might be a tradition but it's for a very good reason.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

18 April, 2012 13:20
The issue getting home isn't really about the K.O time but about rail works that I guess would not have been planned at the time the change was made. I wonder how many people genuinely travel down on the train on average anyway?

The changes to the opening times benefited people selling beer to already inebriated people, I can't really see how it is a benefit to be able to drink until 6 in the morning, and it certainly does not appear to have helped society.

So change for changes sake is wrong but in this case the reason seem to be to make it more profitable. When I was a lad league football was played at 3PM on a Saturday. Now more and more is played at other times, the reason being to suit TV, i.e. for money. Can't help but wonder why it is ok to change kick off times and days for hundreds of matches each season, happens without a peep, but not OK for this one game?

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 17:21
Quote:
Longsiders1882
The issue getting home isn't really about the K.O time but about rail works that I guess would not have been planned at the time the change was made. I wonder how many people genuinely travel down on the train on average anyway?

I believe the rail works were announced 18 months ago, not that the FA would have been the least bit interested anyway. Too busy money-grubbing to worry about the fan's transport problems.

The changes to the opening times benefited people selling beer to already inebriated people, I can't really see how it is a benefit to be able to drink until 6 in the morning, and it certainly does not appear to have helped society.

They also benefitted ordinary, sensible people, like you and me, who wanted to go home in their own time. I'm not sure why I should be thrown out of a pub at 11pm because of a few f*ckwits who can't hold their ale.

So change for changes sake is wrong but in this case the reason seem to be to make it more profitable.

Indeed

When I was a lad league football was played at 3PM on a Saturday. Now more and more is played at other times, the reason being to suit TV, i.e. for money. Can't help but wonder why it is ok to change kick off times and days for hundreds of matches each season, happens without a peep, but not OK for this one game?

But it hasn't happened without a peep, fans have complained about it since they began altering KO times to suit Sky. I can remember many of our fans, when we were promoted, saying one thing they weren't looking forward to was the ludicrous KO times they'd have to put up with. There's nothing can be done about it now so the complaints have died down, doesn't mean fans are happy about it or it happened without a peep though. That's not the case.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

18 April, 2012 17:27
Longsiders for little teams like ours the change of times doesn't affect us too often. But the Arm Chair Glory Hunters love the change. Never been to a Game don't know the rules but laden out in Man Ure, Chelski, Liverfool etc shirts they are happy to chat to people about the game they saw on TV as if they were there & the Camera happy forigners who go to games just to show the photos back home saying i was at Old Trafford look see the photos.

But the FA Cup is renowned World wide for Giant Killings & 3pm Kick off on a saturday. If they want to change the Kick off times why do they have to change the 3pm Kick off for all the other games, You can get out of the game & into a pub to watch the Final by 5.15 if you want

ManHug (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 17:44
Things change, yes...any my fondness of football has changed over the years and this kills it off.
I look forward to FACF day every year - seems 2011'12 will be the first Season in 20/25 years or so that I havnt watched a single game not involving my two sides.

Strange really...and having broken my tradition I can't see me watching it again I bet.

Was the only game I looked forward to. Hell, I even happen to be in Barcelona next Tue when unfortunately Chelsea are there...and I've told her that we will somehow have to find a bar where the games not on as I don't want it annoying me. The FA Cup Final tho, for me, has been special and sacred even since I watched my first one in 1987. RIP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net