football
Latest News:

Burnley 1 Brighton 0
TheLongside.co.uk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 16:21
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Burnley 1 Brighton 0
ClanClaret (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 16:34
to me wot it matters, both clubs are playin for points now in't league/-PLACE(Sm100)(Sm63)

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 18:49
cracking game,,, thrills and spills... edge of seat stuff... the good guys versus the most disgraceful team I've seen at the Turf for a long time... a damned good performance because young Master Howe got his formation and positions right this time with two hard-working wide players and McCann in the middle. Ings was terrific... The Austin was firing on all cylinders... Wallace was tremendous at full back...

the barometer for the Doncaster game (Vinnicombe) will not be in use... with the clattering some of the players got I can see 4 of them struggling to be fit... so quite what team Howe puts out is for now impossible to predict... if Bartley, Trippier, Austin and McQuoid are all out then its hello youth team again.

The barometer today Vinnicombe (Mrs T who was fit enough to travel) said if this is next season's team then it looks really exciting.

Stanislas was first half man of the match for me but faded a bit in second.

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 18:55
Brian oh, next season our season,KISS-KISS -KISS(Sm128)

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 18:56
It's heartening to read that from you Dave! They sound like a horrible little team from the Twitter feeds, we did well to stand up to them.

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 19:04
jadder i got that feelling in last 5 minutes of skysportsnews X. ENGISHIS PLAYER. SAID BEFORE (Sm128)(Sm126)(Sm63)

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 22:06
This was the sort of game we don't often win, backs to the wall stuff against a good team, and we kept them out without too many alarms (although it's easy to say that now).

No more tinkering or experiments, Eddie put out his best players in their best positions and it's a good job he did, or this Brighton team would have won in a canter. Grant was sound, McCann had one of his better games, Marvin was brilliant, but so full of himself that the cynical Brighton players would have got him a red long before the end. Hopefully his injury isn't serious, after a quiet spell he was starting to look influential again.

The more I see of Danny Ings the more I like him. I really wasn't expecting him to be this good. Excellent close control, strong, a good header and aware of what's going on around him. He looks to have it all to me and he must have loads of improvement to come, he's hardly started his career yet. He could turn out to be an awesome player.

Must mention Brighton, what an obnoxious crew they are. I had a lot of time for Poyet before today but not anymore. If that's how he wants to play the game he can feck off back to Uruguay for me.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

aggi (IP Logged)
06 April, 2012 22:21
Great result that. I used to not mind. Brighton as one of football underdogs but today they were a truly horrible team. In a slow end to the season they managed to inject some passion into the game and make everyone want to beat the dirty cheating sods. I reckon they had one shot that grant needed to save all game

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

soapylily (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 09:19
For a top six team I thought Brighton were very disappointing and unworthy of their position in this division. They had come looking for a point and were obviously p*ssed off when they weren't going to get one. Having said that on a number of occasions our back four looked unsettled and if Brighton had been Birmingham.... although Wallace looked a very different player from Tuesday. Just like Tuesday we wasted possession countless times by aiming for Charlie Austin's head - complete waste of time outside the box and how he got man of the match I'll never understand, outstanding though his goal was.
Really impressed by the few minutes of young Hewitt. I reckon they may have a McCann plus in him. very different debut from Howieson's. I think if Eddie gets the defence and his tactics right next season could be highly entertaining for those lucky enough to be regulars on 'turf.

[tomfrederickbooks.com]

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 09:36
It's bizarre reading the reports of those who went to the last two home games; it's like reading about two different teams.

ManHug (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 10:01
Probably the best game of the Season this, by done way. Actually enjoyed this one and felt 'part of it' again.

Best home game since Preston under Laws, maybe a year and a half ago?!

As for Brighton, yeah they were a nasty, cheating lot but fair play to them, I'd sooner be them than what we are.
Promoted as League One Champions.
Top Six ish (I think) in Championship.
The team everyone hates.
Fair play to them, bet they are loving it.

Proper game that.

http://www.songpeople.co.uk/images/stories/george-berry.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

07 April, 2012 12:15
I thought the game showed up what we're badly missing, a midfield playmaker like their No 15 Vicente Rodriguez. He ran their team and the game, and when you watch McCann and Marney huffing and puffing around the field in comparison, then you realise why they're top 6 and we're nowhere near.

You have to wonder where the money comes from though, he's played 240 games for Valencia, he can't have come cheap.

BC

ManHug (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 12:44
We agree on Ingsy I think BC.

I tend to male very quick, snap judgements on players.

I cast aside Easton, Hines, VDS and many others after literally two minutes.

Ings was the opposite though mate, within two mins of seeing him on a field (never seen him play before Burnley),I said to Fred, " this lad might be a cracker".

Say it nearly every game now too.

Taken a massive step with literally no fear or worry at all.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6e-pXyJijUs/S6fVhRO6G4I/AAAAAAAAAQw/14YgqoQB1T4/s320/800px-Boney_M_Bobby_Farrell_2006.jpg

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 15:32
Poyet did show his true colours in our first encounter when he lost the plot. South Americans BC...is your memory that short, remember in our youth what their teams were like.......leopards and spots.

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 16:16
"the barometer for the Doncaster game (Vinnicombe) will not be in use... with the clattering some of the players got I can see 4 of them struggling to be fit... "

Yeah, it should only be used when you see fit.

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 16:20
agreed MH... "quick feet" I said straight away to myself the sign of a good player... I couldn't say it to Mrs T because she's been proper poorly and I've had to talk to myself a lot recently...

I think he could be a cracking player.

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 16:22
Vinni I am quite content for you have the last word on barometers...

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
07 April, 2012 16:59
I'm still confused as to why anyone would want to pick one game in a season to use as a barometer. Especially one particular away game when our away form has been as good as its been since the Championship season.
Odd

08 April, 2012 13:56
Quote:

This football tribalism soapy, I've been to games at the other end of the country and seen Burnley fans who virtually never watched the game, they spent 90 minutes exchanging insults and abuse with the home fans, who seemed delighted to reciprocate. I'm sure there are away fans who come to Turf Moor and do the same.

I can't explain it.

So now we know why Tom Fredericks, but why soapylily ? And why no upper case S ?

One more question, was it Ermysted's at Skipton ? I played rugby against them a couple of times for Accrington Grammar School. We didn't win many but I think we won there once....somehow.

BC

ManHug (IP Logged)
08 April, 2012 15:31
Dave, instantly I thought Robbie Blake but faster, more powerful, fitter and most importantly better.

To say he's a teen, had that horror injury, came from lowly AFCB, im shocked at how he has settled with no fear. Isn't scared of taking players on, always wants the ball and was properly grappling with that shaven headed unit Brighton had in defence on Fri. Quality. Unnerved.

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
08 April, 2012 15:58
Well done Vinni you had the last word

ManHug (IP Logged)
08 April, 2012 16:37
He always does, he always does Dave. He's well ace isn't he?

08 April, 2012 18:46
Quote:
ManHug
To say he's a teen, had that horror injury, came from lowly AFCB, im shocked at how he has settled with no fear. Isn't scared of taking players on, always wants the ball and was properly grappling with that shaven headed unit Brighton had in defence on Fri. Quality. Unnerved.

We don't often agree on strikers MH, so this lad MUST be something special. So far I can't identify a weakness in his game, he seems to have it all.

BC

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
08 April, 2012 23:03
Well I suppose I didn't add the ? But it's a question so feel free to respond.
Manhug appears to be on your side which is always a worrying sign.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 23:06 by vinnicombe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net