football
Latest News:

Easter Fuel Strikes ?
fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:29
Are we going to have fuels shortages soon? . Tanker drivers have voted for strike action.

Statement from Unite:
Quote:
"Tanker drivers work in an increasingly fragmented and pressurised industry, where corners are being cut on safety and training in a bid to squeeze profits and win contracts. "Drivers face growing job insecurity as a result of the contract 'merry-go-round' and a 'beat the clock' culture has flourished, with drivers forced to meet ever shorter delivery deadlines. "

FFS, welcome to the real world, and get on with your fkin jobs like the rest of us. Adapt, compete and survive. Wankars.

Re: Easter Fuel Strikes ?
Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:32
Read somewhere they're on 40grand a year... though they're not striking over pay... they say...

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:36
Average pay is £45k pa.
Ive no problem with that. Seems to me they just dont like moving out of their comfort zone, reacting to competition in tough economic times.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:48
Hgv drivers shouldn't be put under pressure to meet deadlines.they are driving 'dangerous weapons'

It's those who demand deadlines who are wankars

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 23:07 by fulledgelad.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:54
Quote:
fulledgelad
Hgv drivers shouldn't be put under pressure to meet deadlines.

Dont be so naive. Its 2012.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:13
Doesn't matter what feckin year it is...road safety should be of paramount importance

Lest We Forget:

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:28
If these companies dont want to move with the times, then they will be left behind.
These drivers are paid reasonably well for the job they do. And to hold the country to ransom because their jobs might be a bit harder is not right.
The average working man has it hard enough as it is, we dont need this union making it even harder.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:45
Quote:
"Tanker drivers work in an increasingly fragmented and pressurised industry, where corners are being cut on safety and training..."

I repeat

Road safety should be of paramount importance

Lest We Forget:

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:27
Its the Union "Unite" who are saying that.
The actual transport/tanker companies who do the work, say this is not the case.
I know who i believe.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:35
"corners are being cut on safety and training..."

Shouldn't they be consulting with the HSE then before talking about strikes ? Or is it not about safety at all ?

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

aggi (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:49
Sounds like they've been talking to Bob Crow. There are talks of tube strikes during the Olympics with Bob Crow mentioning unsafe practices and that they'd be failing the public. However, the sticking point seems to be the additional £850 bonus isn't high enough. Not sure how a bigger bonus will make things safer but I'm sure there's logic there somewhere.

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 23:03
Quote:
Its the Union "Unite" who are saying that.
The actual transport/tanker companies who do the work, say this is not the case.
I know who i believe.

I've only heard the headlines,..not read/or heard any detail etc
just been going off what's been written on this thread.

Lest We Forget:

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 23:48
Tanker, car transporter and gas product drivers have always been the top paid in the transport industry with conditions to match..............no complaints about that if they recognise how well off they are.

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:16
If its so unsafe I want them to withdraw their labour immediately. I do not want to be travelling on roads with deadly tanker practices going on. I can see no argument for waiting until easter at all. The safety of myself, my family and every other road user has to be paramount.

As they seem quite content to wait until some publicly inconvenient time (whilst getting a few extra days over easter themselves?) I do have to question just how seriously they are viewing these dangerous practices!

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

27 March, 2012 09:05
Maybe the police should just stop one or two of these tankers and check their tachos, I assume they have them and they're obliged to obey the regs like everyone else. If there is a 'beat the clock culture' surely it shows up in the cab ?

Then prosecute the employers.

BC

27 March, 2012 09:26
Or just pay them more BC as it seems more money in the wage packet equals safety

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

27 March, 2012 09:34
Bloody Hell, why didn't I think of that Longsiders.(Sm16)

You can see the thinking behind this and the tube drivers threats though can't you. As they used to say in the old wild west card schools, "A Smith & Wesson beats 4 aces".

BC

jjames82 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 09:46
so they are getting paid nearly twice the national average salary yet feel the need to wait for school & public holidays to make their protest over "safety" public?
JOG ON INTO THE REAL WORLD (Sm31)

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 19:44
So the government are now telling us to top up our tanks, and perhaps even the odd jerry can. FFS.
That's not going to trigger panic buying is it!

soapylily (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 20:34
What a laughing stock this government is:

Brian Madderson, the petrol chairman of the Retail Motor Industry Federation, told BBC Radio 4's World at One: "This Government appears to be intent on creating a crisis out of a serious concern.

"We would have told them - had we been engaged with them - that there are now 6,000 fewer forecourts than there were at the time of the fuel blockade in 2000, and over and above that, our retailers are struggling financially. Volumes are down, margins are down and cashflow is very tight so they have probably got the lowest stock levels in their tanks underground at forecourts that they have ever had.

"We weren't given the opportunity to put that information across to the Government so when we hear today that the Government are trying to encourage stockpiling, we think that's just completely wrong.

"Yesterday we polled a good proportion of our members right across the UK and petrol was 45% up compared to a normal Tuesday and diesel was 20% up. That suggests that fleet car operators, company cars and vans and businesses are not rushing to panic-buy, but certainly petrol - the main private motorists' fuel - was above a normal level.

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 21:49
Tories telling people to stock Petrol up in cans now.
Can't see anything going wrong there.
Almost as if they are trying to deflect attention from another news story this week....

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 05:37
Quote:
So the government are now telling us to top up our tanks, and perhaps even the odd jerry can. FFS.
That's not going to trigger panic buying is it!

Yep..Kitchens on trafalgar street out of petrol..ok for diesel

Lest We Forget:

claretnbooze (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 07:34
Stupid thing is why are people panic buying now? By the time the strikes are due to happen I bet most will need to fill up again anyway.
Also I thought putting anymore than a cpl of litres in a jerry can was illegal

http://i4.tinypic.com/zwysqt.jpg

jjames82 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 08:15
Most house insurance policies will be invalidated if people are storing fuel as you're only usually covered for a small amount for things like petrol mowers etc.
The govt have now retraced their advice, shock horror!

29 March, 2012 08:27
This 'panic buying'. If there's a potential shortage of any commodity people tend to stock up on it. What's 'panicky' about that ? Sounds perfectly normal and sensible to me. In fact you'd be bloody stupid not to keep your tank well filled and a spare can in your garage.

BC

29 March, 2012 10:10
But there wasn't a shortage, until people started stock pilling BC.

No strike has been called and IF they do they have to give 7 days notice - so we are at least a week away from no deliveries anyway.

I've enough now to get me home and if I can't fill up tonight due to idiots then I can't work tomorrow.

29 March, 2012 11:10
Quote:
Longsiders1882
I've enough now to get me home and if I can't fill up tonight due to idiots then I can't work tomorrow.

But those idiots WILL be able to get to work tomorrow Longsiders, that's my point. When everyone else is 'panicking', you'd be foolish not to.

I do take your point and in an ideal world you're right. But isn't is it, it's a rat-race out there.

BC

dandeclaret (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 11:14
Aye - there's that old phrase

"If you can lose your head, when all around you are losing their heads"

Or something like that ;-)

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 11:31
reports of a tanker pulling up at Morrisons Blackpool

quick lads everybody to Blackpool

29 March, 2012 15:09
Filled up at the station in Kelbrook on way home, no panic there so far. Cost me more but decided better than rising getting home to find the sheep and headless chickens had emptied all the garages.

Like I say BC, not one of them won't have to fill up again a few times before any strike, that may or may not happen. A tank lasts me 4 days so I'll need to fill up, probably twice at least, before there is even the chance of the strike. These people are morons but hey it's worked for the government, nobody is talking about the budget or how their party has been selling acces to public policy.

29 March, 2012 15:23
Quote:
Longsiders1882
These people are morons but hey it's worked for the government, nobody is talking about the budget or how their party has been selling acces to public policy.

Maybe for the moment Longsiders but the Granny tax hasn't gone away, the two Eds, the BBC and the Guardian will see to that. I wouldn't worry, if the Cameroons and George think this has got them off the hook, they're very much mistaken. And the corruption stories will never go away, it's a way of life with the political classes and try as they might they just can't stop it, it's just what they do.

BC

pipindripin (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 17:56
Who wants these tossere on 45000 a year to drive things that are potentialy leathal to hold our country to ransome in such difficult times, lets alter the rules & ask all future tanker drivers to take an I.Q. test. How thick can you be when on restricted hour on that sort of money that they can even think about it..If all the drivers of today had to take such a basic test to see wether they had common sense or could percieve potential problems how many would even be allowed to drive at all?????

29 March, 2012 20:07
Here you are Longsiders, Peter Oborne in the Telegraph has Cameron's card marked. He thinks there just might be a way back, personally I doubt it.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Never glad confident morning again.

BC

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 20:59
How Cameron doesn't take more flak is beyond me.
Brooks, Coulson, the women from the work experience scheme and this idiot selling tea parties all involved with him.
Still, he loves his pasties though so its ok.

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 05:11
Big queues at Kitchens already

Lest We Forget:

fulledgelad (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 05:45
Btw..going up 5p a litre at Kitchens tonight

Lest We Forget:

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 08:35
Only got one jerry can, so I've been going to and fro to fill my bath up!

Quote:
soapy
What a laughing stock this government is
Your bang out of order soapy; its the unions fault and the government are pointing that out. The same union that bankrolls most of the Labour party has caused this mess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

jjames82 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 08:35
my local petrol station has put prices up 3p a litre for unleaded and 2p a litre for diesel this week alone, it's now £1.44.9 for unleaded sad smiley
Asda 2 miles down the road is selling unleaded for £137.9 a litre, and has no queues smiling smiley

claretnbooze (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 09:38
If I was a forecourt manager I would be sticking the prices up to either try and put people off panic buying but if they still want to do it make a bit of money out of it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/zwysqt.jpg

30 March, 2012 10:40
The dispute is a private matter between the union and employers - sod all to do with Labour, Conservative or anybody else.

All the government have managed to do is create a crisis where there wasn't even a drama.

As an aside, did anybody see the libdem on QT last night, Sarah Teather (or something). Talk about out of your depth, did herself and party no favours at all.

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 12:06
Made herself look foolish when someone joked about setting houses on fire if the fire brigade went on strike.
The best bit of the programme was the bloke demanding that Labour tell them not to strike. He had the biggest ears I've ever seen and obviously no idea about democracy.

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 12:53
theres a blame game going on here, Cameron Osborn and Clegg, can then say, its not all our fault. and as for the @#$%& that said store petrol IS a right Numpty(Sm63)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net