fulledgelad (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 08:32
..Well,according to 'our friend' Alan Nixon they are

Lest We Forget:
http://i25.tinypic.com/6rkd5g.jpg

Re: Glasgow Celtic League One bound?
jjames82 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 12:41
it's a complete joke imo, if they want to join the english league then they should have to work their way up like any other new club!

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 13:53
The articles a joke to be fair.
I've never seen a 'journalist' use words like if, could and maybe as much as he does.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 17:13
Haven't seen the article but they were talking about it on TV, (they've been talking about this for years now anyway), and they said the proposal was for them to join at D1 level.

It wouldn't bother me if it happened, it could even liven things up a bit. We have Welsh teams in the league so why not Scottish ?

There could be a potential problem though. Presumably the Welsh are allowed in because we are all in the United Kingdom, so in some respects the same 'country'. On this basis Celtic would also be allowed in, but what happens if we get lucky and the Scots vote for independence ? it's one thing for UK teams to play in the English leagues but a foreign one ? I wouldn't think so. Once they become an independent country I assume they'd be booted straight back out to play in their own tinpot league.

Which seems fair enough to me.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

claretnbooze (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 17:43
The other issue is it would really open up is the issue of having just one GB team rather than the 4 different ones. If 3 nations compete in the same league why shouldnt there be one "national" team

http://i4.tinypic.com/zwysqt.jpg

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 18:42
Can't see many football league clubs voting for it. Certainly none in League Two.
With the extra income they'd have they would eventually stand a better chance than most of getting to the Premier League so how many Championship clubs would vote? Increased gates receipts for one season won't be enough I don't think.

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 19:28
Sort of agree with BC except they have to start at the bottom level for me, then work up through the leagues

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

Alfie (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 20:16
well after seeing how they behaved first hand at the turf many years ago i wouldnt want them anywhere near England.. its a big no for me..

i actually think there is more chance of hell freezing over than letting them into the english league..

http://i58.tinypic.com/2uempz6.gif

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
18 March, 2012 20:26
The article makes out there will be a 'spare' place if Portsmouth fold and they'd be doing us all a favour by taking up that space in League One.
If they want to bring there outdated religious beliefs down here they can't start in the same league FC United did.

jjames82 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2012 13:28
Quote:
claretnbooze
The other issue is it would really open up is the issue of having just one GB team rather than the 4 different ones. If 3 nations compete in the same league why shouldnt there be one "national" team

Gordon Smith (?) was saying on Goals on Sunday that FIFA have intimated there is a strong feeling in the football world that the UK should be represented by 1 football team, not individual nations, and if it happens for the olympics then there will be increased pressure for future tournaments. He was saying this was part of the reason that the Scottish FA won't support the "team GB" idea for the Olympics.

19 March, 2012 14:14
The issue within FIFA has naff all to do with teams competing in tournaments, it is all to do with the 4 seats and effective block the home nations can exert on any rule changes, via the international football association board.

It is this that the home nations are so desperate to protect and FIFA so (quietly) keen to change. For me in this day and age it is wrong that the FA, SFA, FAW and IFA continue to exert this influence over what is clearly a global game. Why should we have more say than Germany, Spain, Italy, Argentina etc?

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
19 March, 2012 15:28
Quote:
Longsiders1882
The issue within FIFA has naff all to do with teams competing in tournaments, it is all to do with the 4 seats and effective block the home nations can exert on any rule changes, via the international football association board.
It is this that the home nations are so desperate to protect and FIFA so (quietly) keen to change. For me in this day and age it is wrong that the FA, SFA, FAW and IFA continue to exert this influence over what is clearly a global game. Why should we have more say than Germany, Spain, Italy, Argentina etc?

Longsiders is spot on imo. FIFA might well sanction Celtic playing in England because it weakens the case for the four home nations having individual FAs and 4 reps on the world governing body. A GB Olympic team, Scottish and Welsh clubs playing in England, fine by FIFA, but I can see where this is leading. If the Scottish and English FAs go with this proposal (assuming it's a serious attempt by Celtic to play in England) they could be signing their own death warrants as individual governing bodies, they can't have it both ways.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

19 March, 2012 17:14
I think they can stay individual BC, just need to give up the votes on the IFAB - which today seems sensible to be honest, time to make it an elected panel with representatives from varying countries involved

jjames82 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2012 17:22
reports today that the Football League have dismissed reports of Celtic possibly joining the league?!

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
19 March, 2012 18:20
No way!!! So the story was all conjecture? Bizarre.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net