football
Latest News:

youth team/Overson/Dobson
Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 20:13
How many of these lads are there because of Dobbo and Overson?

how many of them were mentored/signed by either of these two?

Assuming several of these lads were part of the Dobbo/Overson intake it makes the departure of them all the more curious.

Re: youth team/Overson/Dobson
BBC 2 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 10:33
Think Dobbo and Vince had a big part in the development, but i feel its the scouts and Jeff Taylor who should take most credit, they are the ones who found most of the current bunch.

Not forgetting Pahley/Farrell and Mawson who coach them.

The youth set-up is more than one or two individuals no matter how good those individuals are.

I feel that Burnley are in good hands with John Francis who took on Vinces mantle.

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 22:01
When are some of the Youth team going o make it through to the first team.

Several of the team of the seventies were playing in the old first division at 16 to 17.

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 22:09
If three or four of this group don't get their chance then something is wrong at this club...

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 00:59
For me the Youth team should have a goal of generating at least one new first team player per season.

Unfortunately we have had a succession of managers that have not really given youth a chance, or is it that the youth that we have developed has not been good enough?

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

Enola Gay (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:10
Quote:
Shanghaiclaret
Unfortunately we have had a succession of managers that have not really given youth a chance, or is it that the youth that we have developed has not been good enough?

I suppose the answer to that could be hinted at by the list of players released by Burnley at youth level who've gone on to forge successful careers at Championship level or higher.

A list currently standing at 'none', if memory serves.

Braindead (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:28
I think the fact that we are hard pushed to name a single youth team reject that has gone on to make a name for himself at the same or higher level than Burnley speaks volumes.

Danny Pugh is the only one I can think of and he hasn't played higher than League One.

Just because some of the kids look outstanding against other kids doesn't mean they will be able to step up to the plate when given the opportunity - most tend to drift into non-league.

http://i53.tinypic.com/23rqxe1.gif

Braindead (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:30
Good point that Enola (Sm6) - that will teach me to have this post open for an hour on my desktop before posting!

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:13
But of this particular group you'd reasonably expect that having been good enough to get this far and beat three academy sides... three or four might make the grade ...

dandeclaret (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:18
How many "Made the grade" from Sheff Utd's recent youth cup winning side?

aggi (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:31
I don't know Davet, one a year is more than I'd expect to be honest. Have a look on Wikipedia at some of the previous few youth cup winners and see if you recognise many 2009-2010 youth cup was a couple of years ago for example.

Or the Liverpool team from 2007 which beat Man Utd LINK

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

Braindead (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:36
Do you mean Sheffield United's losing Youth Cup finalists Dan (they lost 6-3 on aggregate to Man Utd last year)?

Not sure that there will be much integration into the first team in eleven months

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 17:06
No wonder Ciy won this one, nobody would want to go near Ben Mee judging by that picture

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 19:36
Quote:
Dave Thomas
If three or four of this group don't get their chance then something is wrong at this club...

From what I've seen of them there aren't that many outstanding players, perhaps one or two, they're more a team of very decent players for their age with the emphasis on the word 'team'. They play a very high standard of football and aren't dependent on any one individual's contribution.

I don't think any of them are anywhere near first team level yet.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net