football
Latest News:

Current Page: 2 of 11

Re: Team SKY cycling
aggi (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:50
On the track rather than the road, I went to watch the UCI track cycling at the new London velodrome over the weekend.

Very impressive building and pretty entertaining to watch. Was only a couple of rows back so you could really see them fly past.

Saw Hoy & Pendleton and a few others. Looking forward to the olympics coming round for this.

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:54
You just worry they're peaking a bit early aggi, but I would think they know exactly what they're doing.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:55
Hoy looked good , as usual.
Did you see the last sprint ? Quite funny, that German bloke didnt @#$%& about playing cat and mouse, just went for it straight off and made a mug of his opponent.

Have you got tickets for the Olympic cycling aggi ?
They are on about charging for some sections of the road race aren't they?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 17:48
Another win for Cav
[www.cyclingweekly.co.uk]

aggi (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 18:01
There were a few world records being made by various nations so looks like that's the current standard, it's meant to be a very fast track it seems. Something you don't realise is that they bung the heating up really high so the air's less dense and you can get faster times.

Didn't get any Olympic cycling tickets (not even paralympics). For the road race there's one section (Box Hill) where they loop round half a dozen times and they've cleared all that and talking about selling tickets for it and I think they have sold tickets for the finish on the Mall.

It's miles away the other side of london from me so not sure if I'll go and watch

28 February, 2012 22:06
Paris-Nice this weekend and Sky have got the A team out again.

Chris Froome, Christian Knees, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Geraint Thomas, Rigoberto Urán, Bradley Wiggins

Cav's in Italy with his team three days later for the Tirreno-Adriatico.

Edvald Boasson Hagen, Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Mathew Hayman, Thomas Löfkvist, Ian Stannard, Chris Sutton

How they're going to get this lot down to one team for the Tour de France I've no idea.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 00:33
Is Paris-Nice the one where they ride through the night (or used to) ?

I imagine it will be difficult to pick the right team for the tour, there's others who may be in with a shout as well.
Mind you, there will be a few who wont want to do it, who are preparing for the Olympics instead, i would have thought.

01 March, 2012 12:05
Paris-Nice is a week long stage race so they won't be riding overnight. I don't know if they used to Fred, but it's a bloody long way from Paris to Nice so I can't imagine they ever tried to do it in one go. You never know with those bike racers though.

I know there used to be a Bordeaux-Paris race that started at 2am and they arrived in Paris in late afternoon. The first ever winner was an Englishman called Mills in 1891, Jacques Anquetil won it once as well, but it died out sometime in the 1980's.

When I lived in France I used to go into the local town centre every year to watch the finish of the Bordeaux-Saintes race. The locals said it was the remnants of the old Bordeaux-Paris but obviously now much shorter. None of the big teams were in it, the biggest team I ever saw enter it was BigMat-Aubervilliers and that was only the one year.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:53
Ah it must have been that Bordeaux-Paris one i was thinking of, i remember reading about it somewhere.

05 March, 2012 00:02
Bradley robbed in the TT, beaten by one second. But the winner Larsson went early on when it was dry, it was peeing down all the time Brad was out there and he just had to go carefully, he'd have won easily in the same conditions.

Our Aussie, Richie Porte finished 16th, easily beating anything Australia's finest could do.(Sm14) They've missed a trick with this lad have Greenedge.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
05 March, 2012 18:38
Good day today, Wiggins takes the overall lead, thomo(Sm152) in 9th. Looks like Porte missed the split today.
Omega/Quick step looks a very strong team, whilst Greenedge are languishing.

aggi (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 13:57
If any of you are interested it looks like this is the future of cycling:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VBvMrOg6Da8/T1nLDnfABWI/AAAAAAAAGWs/5_Qgt9kmzdU/s640/2012%2520-%25201.jpg

A friend of a friend has it on loan, electronic gear shifting that automatically trims your chain, etc and will soon automatically shift to keep you at your optimum cadence!

09 March, 2012 19:46
Can it shift low enough for a 66 year old over the Nick O'Pendle aggi ?

BC

09 March, 2012 19:57
Another good day for Sky, Wiggins still in yellow while Cav was feeling a bit poorly in Italy, so Boassan-Hagen won it instead.

Quite comfortably the number one team in world cycling at the moment. And it's hard to see who's going to shift them.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 21:16
I bet that's an expensive piece of kit aggi. How's he managed to get it on loan ?

Cracking start to the season for Sky, hope they can keep it up and perform in the big one's too. They're looking really strong. Thomo seems to have dropped off the pace a touch though.

Shanghaiclaret (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 06:09
Not liking the colour much to be honest.

How is the Tirreno - Adriatico going?

10 March, 2012 11:09
It's going well for Sky Shanghai, they've won both the individual stages with Cavendish and Boassan-Hagen. Greenedge still living off their TT result but that effect won't last much longer. Best they've done in the two road race stages is a 6th and 38th for Goss compared to Sky's two wins.

They've a decent squad have Greenedge, possibly a few too many aging Aussies, but they're two years behind Sky, they can't realistically be expected to better them this season at their stage of development. And they won't. (Sm14)

BC

10 March, 2012 11:18
As you say BC, Greenedge are doing it tough in the Tirreno-Adriatico. As I type they have the top four spots on the GC, the leader in the young rider compe and they are leading the team comp.

Winning the team time trial set them up so far.

I take your point about being two years behind Sky though. Having said that the team has a lot of individuals with exerience in the grand tours.

11 March, 2012 09:53
Looks totally different now Shanghai, after the first hill top finish. Meyer still in 3rd though, if they look after him he could make the podium, especially as the last stage is a TT, I hope he does.

Odd thing is, though Sky and Greenedge have won 3 stages between them and Meyer's in 3rd, in the team classification Sky are now 20th and Greenedge 21st. Must have been a few on both teams taking it easy yesterday.

BC

11 March, 2012 21:39
Great win for Wiggins

The Tirreno-Adriatico has gone to pot (Sm132). Did you notice that "My man" is ten minutes of the pace yesterday after crashing. He was whingeing that he has nothing in his legs and he is no-where near where he was at this time last year.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 19:07
Your man didnt bother starting today, along with Eddy. Cav packed in halfway through the stage as well.

Thomo didnt start the time trial in the other race as well. Anyone know what's up with him ?

Super win for Brad (Sm152)

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 12:57
Flecha just misses out on a podium at Paris-Roubaix.
What a season Tom Boonen is having though! Is that his fourth big win so far this season ?

09 April, 2012 20:54
Did you see it Fred ? Flecha, Ballan and Boom were so busy playing cat and mouse with each other they didn't see Turgot and Terpstra sneaking up behind.

Doh(Sm164)

I think the plan with Thomas was/is to miss the Spring Classics, ride the Giro, then miss the Tour to concentrate on the Olympics.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 18:19
No,not got Eurosports BC, so have to catch up on internet.

Yeah thomo is concentrating on the Olympics. Shane Sutton saying he's made the wrong choice though.

aggi (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 23:00
Entertaining was that Paris-Roubaix, although it must be hell to ride.

Possibly one of the slowest track sprints I've seen but pretty impressive after 6 hrs of riding.

15 April, 2012 21:51
Tour De Romandie next week, looks like Sky are taking this one seriously.

Mark Cavendish,
Bradley Wiggins
Chris Froome
Geraint Thomas,
Richie Porte
Michael Rogers
Danny Pate
Kanstantsin Siutsou,

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 18:57
That's certainly a strong looking line-up.
Should be looking for stage and overall wins here.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 18:20
A good start for Sky:
[www.cyclingnews.com]
thomo(Sm152)

What's the point of such a short prologue though ?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
28 April, 2012 11:14
Brad holding a one second lead in the GC.
A hilly stage today, and with a time trial in the final stage tomorrow, it should suit him.

30 April, 2012 23:38
Team for the Giro,

Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Juan Antonio Flecha, Sergio Henao, Peter Kennaugh, Ian Stannard, Ben Swift, Geraint Thomas, Rigoberto Urán.

Cav'll be going for the sprinter's jersey, I presume Thomas will be the GC man ? Be interesting to see the two Colombians in the mountains, I know Uran's a good climber and Henao is supposed to be up there with him as well.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 19:02
I can watch British eurosport now, dont know whats changed.
Managed to catch the time trial, with Brad taking the win.

Im presuming theyve got the Giro ?
Never heard anything of Henao before. Cant see anyone getting near for the GC, but i hope thomo gives it a good go.
It'll be interesting to see how Kennaugh and Swift go. Tipped to be future stars weren't they ?

03 May, 2012 00:28
I was a bit surprised to see Swift, Kennaugh and Stannard all in the team Fred, but maybe I haven't been taking enough notice. Swift rode the Tour de France last year, Kennaugh rode the Giro and Stannard the Vuelta.

I was thinking they might be a bit lightweight but they've all three been there and done it. Not as inexperienced as I thought.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
04 May, 2012 11:15
Swift out of the Giro now, broke his shoulder in a training ride crash.

04 May, 2012 16:58
Seeing as Swift's a sprinter I was thinking he might be Cav's lead-out man, taking over from Renshaw. I would think this is something they could have done without.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 22:57
Good ride from thomo today to finish second.
Seems in the main his brief is just to help Cav in the sprints. Uran being the man for the GC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 23:17 by fred dibnah.

ClanClaret (IP Logged)
05 May, 2012 23:41
WHEN;T DOCTOR WI HAVE TO RE PACE YA, MI KNEE, HE SAID HAVE YA DONE EN aY CYCLING WALKIN, AyE, i said YES LOTS OF WALKIN. THATS ME HOBBIT,WAKIN Doc..then he said, not in HIS WARDS, YA FKED FK FROM WALKIN, THAT FOR AGAIN.BUT WHY NOT, GO THAT BIT OVER THA EGDE(Sm100)(Sm128)(Sm63) ALWAYS OVER THA EDGE. GO FOR IT.(Sm128)(Sm63)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 23:49 by ClanClaret.

06 May, 2012 18:22
Just seen on SSN that Cav's won today. Sky were saying he was going for 6 stage wins.

Five to go.thumbs down

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 18:31
6 ? eye popping smiley

I watched it earlier. Big crash at the last bend but i dont think would have made any difference. Well done Cav (Sm152)
Ive noticed in quite a lot of races this year Sky are having to do a lot of the work at the head of the peleton, much more than the rest of the teams.
Do you think its by choice, or are the other teams forcing them to do it, not taking responsibility themselves?

06 May, 2012 18:38
Haven't seen today's race, hopefully there'll be highlights on later. Do you think Fred it's because they want to control the race and the breakaways to make sure Cav is up there for the sprints. The other teams know Sky will have to pull any breaks back for Cav so they're happy to let them do it.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
06 May, 2012 22:56
Yeah, thats a given. But the other teams have sprinters capable of winning on their day too. It just seems Sky seems to be doing more than their fair share on the front, compared to the others.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 15:10
Jeez, some knobhead just pulled out right in front of Cav, took him out, then other were riding into and over him on the deck (Sm17)

aggi (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 16:56
Ow. Good skills from the bloke who bunny hopped him though.

video: [url]

[/url]

07 May, 2012 19:32
Quote:
fred dibnah
Yeah, thats a given. But the other teams have sprinters capable of winning on their day too. It just seems Sky seems to be doing more than their fair share on the front, compared to the others.

I don't think either Sky or Cav have too many friends out there when they're racing. I know some of the other team managers were moaning about Cav farming the sprints when he was at HTC. Their view was that they all had to please their sponsors and Cav should have backed off after winning 3/4 stages and let some of the other sprinters/teams have their day. He didn't though, he just kept on winning. Then Sky come along, throw a lot of money at it signing up a powerful team and now say Cav's going to win 6 stages in the Giro. I don't think many of the other riders or team managers are going to go out of their way to help them, quite probably the opposite, which is what we might be seeing.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
07 May, 2012 20:01
Team manager to apologize for "incorrect behaviour", doesnt sound like the rider will though? :
[www.cyclingnews.com]

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
10 May, 2012 21:57
Win No.2 for Cav.
Nice to see the train working well today.
The team time trial yesterday was disappointing though.

11 May, 2012 01:53
Apart from picking him up and dumping him over the line they couldn't have done more for Cav today. That's how to do it. Also seems that when Cav said Goss was the only one who could beat him he knew what he was talking about. Goss certainly seems the only one who can get close to him at the moment.

They said they were disappointed with the TTT but I don't think it was that bad a performance. They don't have a particularly strong TT team out and, although they actually finished 9th, they were only 8 seconds down on the 3rd placed team. I'm not sure they could have done a great deal better than that and no great harm done anyway, no one lost much time.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
11 May, 2012 18:10
I suppose its because we are used to seeing them usually challenging the lead in time trialing maybe ?

12 May, 2012 01:39
No doubt Fred, put Wiggins and Froome in that team and they'd have been more than 8 seconds faster, and top two.

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
13 May, 2012 22:34
These two Columbian lads seem to be doing alright.
Do GreenEdge not have any climbers ?

14 May, 2012 02:12
Doesn't look like it Fred, in fact they haven't got a single rider in the top 100 on GC. They'll just have to hope Goss wins a sprint.

There's a couple of big mountain stages next weekend, I think Uran and Henao will be going for one of them, I'd have a bet if I only knew which one it would be.

BC

Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net