football
Latest News:

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Pato latest ....£2.5 million offer rejected.....
hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 11:40
Portsmouth Evening News chief football writer Neil Allen has confirmed on Twitter in the last hour that Burnley have turned down Pompey's latest £2.5 million bid for Paterson.

But rather worringly, the journo says "the player (or his agent) has been encouraging further bids to made".

Sounds to me as though Paterson would jump at the chance of a move because of a probably hefty wage increase.

Is there any point in keeping a disgruntled player? The only trouble is that Eddie would see very little if any of the £2.5 million which would no doubt disappear into BFC's ever growing black hole.

Re: Pato latest ....£2.5 million offer rejected.....
LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 11:42
Sell him if he wants to leave.

The only problem is would we ever be able to find/fund a replacement?

We haven't been pulling up any trees this summer in the transfer market have we? What a surprise eh?!

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 11:43
Just playing the game, Pato wont be looking for a way out, but his agent will always be looking for a pay day.

If a 3.5 / 4 million bid came in then, i can see the board accepting.

Lita only cost £1.75 mil

04 August, 2011 11:47
£2.75m and he can go for me, he's permanently crocked and if it's true that he wants out...

That would be double what we paid for him and we may already have benefitted from his best years.

I'd be sorely tempted to accept the £2.5m bid but I'm not convinced Eddie/the board* would be able to find/fund* a replacement.

*delete as appropriate

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 11:50
clause i think 20% isnt there (or is it 10% to Scunthorpe) ?

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 11:53
Most of the Pompey fans replying on Twitter think that £2.5 million would be WAY TOO MUCH to pay for Pato and can't see why Cotterill wants him so much.

Sounds as though they would be very underwhelmed with Pato at £2.5 million even though they only have 15 players for the first game at Boro.

aggi (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 12:43
Once we start getting above £2.5m I'd be tempted to let him go. I reckon we could take a gamble on a similar player for about half that price (in the Austin/Pato when we signed him mould).

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 12:46
I am stunned we have turned down £2.5 million for a player who :-

i. Has barely played for 2 years.
ii. Has a best goal return in the league of 13.
iii. His best quality is that old cliche of "work-rate".

He's decent, but he's never seen that sort of value. I'd rip their arms off.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 12:47
Care to name me some of these £1.2 million players available who are as good as Paterson?

Even if we identified someone, that club would inflate the asking price knowing we'd just been paid over the odds for Paterson.

Show Burnley some £££££££££ signs and the people who run the club don't see the long-term.

Talk about taking a gamble - we have already gambled on Austin who looks as though he could be a huge waste of money.

He doesn't even look a professional sportsman and allegedly reported to pre-season training UNFIT and OVERWEIGHT.

At least we know Paterson is a 100 per cent terrier and gives non-stop effort if he is not injured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 12:50 by hclaret53.

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 12:49
Quote:
hclaret53
Care to name me some of these £1.2 million players available who are as good as Paterson?
Even if we identified someone, that club would inflate the asking price knowing we'd just been paid over the odds for Paterson.

Show Burnley some £££££££££ signs and the people who run the club don't see the long-term.

I'd have been more use to Burnley over the last 2 years than Pato has. He's had a disrupted pre-season and he's another one of those players who has got better in the fans eyes the longer he has been out.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:01
McCann hasn't been much use to us in the last two seasons - even less than Paterson.

By your reasoning, should we flog him to Bolton for a couple of million if Coyle comes calling in January?

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:01
I like Pato, but i can see three or four players who we could bring in for half the fee.

Jordan Rhodes Huddersfield

Danny Ingis Bournemouth

And maybe if we can get him fit Danny Webber.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:06
I hope you are joking about Danny Webber - he must be nearer 30 than 20.

I thought BFC were supposed to be building for the future by signing younger players who might increase in vale.

Would we get Ings or Rhodes for £1.2 million? I doubt we'd get Rhodes for that and Ings is nowhere near a proven scorer as Pato was for Scunthorpe before we signed him.
I don't rate either as highly as a fit Pato.

We cannot afford to sell a player just because he MIGHT get injured again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 13:08 by hclaret53.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:11
Just checked on Wiki. Webber is 30 in December and is a free agent.

I suppose the plus point is he wouldn't cost us a transfer fee.

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:21
He could have 2 seasons in him for nowt, if he regains the speed he once had

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:23
One thing is certain, if SC keeps coming back he's getting encouragement from somewhere, whether it's Pato, his agent, or the Burnley board he obviously thinks he can get his man. And he's probably right.

I'd take it anyway, £2.5m for an injury prone, average striker, sounds good business to me. We might have to rent a bigger store for the Dry Powder though.

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

Turfite (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:34
At £2.5m I would let Pato go IF Eddie gets a decent amount to spend on a replacement

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 13:58
If he's going to be injured all the time, let him go,
If they are confident they can get him fit enough to play consistantly I'd keep him. A vital player for us, nothing to do with him getting better the longer he is out, more to do with what he offers when he does actually play.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 14:13
But we all know Howe would hardly be given a bean to buy a replacement.

For heaven's sake, Howe said we would be getting a replacement for Iwelumo - and there has been NO sign of that happening any time soon.

All these people who say we could get a cheaper replacement than Pato - there aren't that many good strikers around who can play TOP championship level.

Pato is one of them that is why Cotterill rates him so highly. The man bought Akinbiyi, Gray and Blake (the second time) so we know he can spot a good striker.

If Cotterill rates Paterson, to me it means we should DEFINITELY do our best to keep unless Pompey offer £3 million plus.

Someone says someone at Burnley must be encouraging Cotterill to make repeated bids - I might be totally wrong but Flood is the man who does all our transfer dealings, isn't he?

Anyway, let's sign Iwelumo's replacement first and someone to replace Paterson before we sell one of our main assets to a Championship rival.

aggi (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 14:42
Quote:
hclaret
nowhere near a proven scorer as Pato was for Scunthorpe before we signed him

He'd had one reasonable season at Scunthorpe with fourteen goals, hardly proven.

Nothing has really shown him as a 20 goal a season striker (he only got 19 when playing 59 games).

I'd agree that if he went we'd need a decent replacement (£1m+) sharpish but if that did happen then it could be a decent bit of business.

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 14:52
I think he only had one full season at Scunthorpe in a side which won promotion (Huddersfield and Bournemouth failed to do this) nyway, 19 goals in 57 games is virtually a 1 in 3 striker - that's good enough for me.

Too many people have short memories - Paterson looked a class act in his injury-hit PL campaign.

He did not start many games but got at least 3/4 very good goals in not very many minutes on the pitch.

I remember a well-taken goal at Villa, a brilliant lobbed effort against Pompey at Turf Moor and a super finish for the equaliser at Hull. He made the goal at Hull himself virtually out of nothing.

I think was at least another in the PL season. He hardly played last season but got two at Norwich before getting injured again.

Sign another top-class striker NOW and then consider selling Paterson not before we have got someone as good or even better. It would be madness to sell him before we have someone in to beef up our weak squad already short on numbers.

Austin will be a waste of money - I'd put money on this. If we sell Paterson, it would only leave Jay to score the goals up front.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 14:53 by hclaret53.

claretnbooze (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 17:01
Quote:
hclaret53

Would we get Ings or Rhodes for £1.2 million? I doubt we'd get Rhodes for that and Ings is nowhere near a proven scorer as Pato was for Scunthorpe before we signed him.
I don't rate either as highly as a fit Pato.

Palace were told to double their bid for ings yesterday after bidding 3 times in 90 minutes for the player. Their reported final bid was 500k I believe.

Agree though that I would def be looking for 2 in BEFORE we sold him if that was to happen

http://i4.tinypic.com/zwysqt.jpg

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 17:07
It will be interesting to see if Paterson is picked on Saturday.

If he is NOT, then that would suggest he is off to Pompey some time soon - maybe early next week.

I think BK & Co want a striker in first to pacify the fans before they sell Pato.

04 August, 2011 17:34
Quote:
hclaret53
I think BK & Co want a striker in first to pacify the fans before they sell Pato.

You'd think so wouldn't you?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 17:58
I dont particularly want to see us lose Pato.
But at that kind of money, surely we must be considering it.
If we could get that Danny Hings in for half the price, then id be happy enough with that.

04 August, 2011 18:05
Hings (Sm152)

morty77 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:08
Id put a 5 million price tag on Pato's head, and tell Cotterill to fk off!

Cheltenham Nap Champion 07/08
Cheltenham Nap Champion 09/10
Paddock Naps Champion 2013/14
WE DARED TO DREAM!
THEY SENT US KEAN!

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:10
I would say 2 mil and Greg Halford

04 August, 2011 18:12
Greg Halford's quality, where would we play him though.

Oh, and I think Halford is actually Wolves' player, not Pompey's.

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:17
Fk!

I would play him in holding mid, in place of Marney

04 August, 2011 18:18
From reading a Wolves messageboard the other day, it seems the vast majority of Wolves fans want rid of Halford.

I've always been impressed with him.

BBC 2 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:20
Remember him playing for Colchester at the Turf he single handidly beat us.

04 August, 2011 18:23
Scared me to death a couple of times playing for Sheffield United as well.

morninbob (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:24
i think halford has just signed permenantly at pompey

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 18:31
Halford ? I used to think he was good, but i wasnt that impressed the last couple of times he played against us.
He's got a good throw-in though !
Do Pompey still have that Bel-Hend character ? He was a good full back.

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 19:21
These aren't goals you "remember". You're basically listing every goal he's scored for the last 2 years.

I'll have you a bet now, your best mate Austin will score more goals than Pato this year.

Teasdale In! (IP Logged)
04 August, 2011 21:50
I think Paterson is aware that Portsmouth are going to offer him a lot bigger wages than he's currently on which has turned his head this summer. I was told Howe had rejected a transfer request from him before the players reported back for pre season.

Danny Ings is definately on Howe's wanted list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 21:51 by Teasdale In!.

05 August, 2011 06:13
Quote:
Teasdale In!
I think Paterson is aware that Portsmouth are going to offer him a lot bigger wages than he's currently on which has turned his head this summer. I was told Howe had rejected a transfer request from him before the players reported back for pre season.

Danny Ings is definately on Howe's wanted list.

Good, let's get him in and sell Pato.

thumbs down

05 August, 2011 06:19
Cotterill may be back with an improved offer:

[www.dailystar.co.uk]

[www.express.co.uk]

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 06:30
'O'il up moi of'r to three mill...'

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 07:08
It bl**dy says something when Pompey can offer Paterson "much bigger wages" than Burnley.

The Football League should bring in much harsher financial penalties to prevent clubs like this signing players after they have failed to pay local businesses, St John Ambulance Brigade etc... what they are owed.

Pompey should only be allowed to pay peanuts to players until ALL their debts are repaid

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 07:45
Quote:
hclaret53
It bl**dy says something when Pompey can offer Paterson "much bigger wages" than Burnley.
The Football League should bring in much harsher financial penalties to prevent clubs like this signing players after they have failed to pay local businesses, St John Ambulance Brigade etc... what they are owed.

Pompey should only be allowed to pay peanuts to players until ALL their debts are repaid

Oh the irony of you arguing for stronger penalties for Pompey for not paying their debts on one thread, whilst arguing that we should spend money we don't have on another.

hclaret53 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 08:38
I'll wager Paterson scores more goals than Austin this season whatever the club.

Neither may be at Burnley come the end of the season.

socrates1882 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 11:25
Quote:
hclaret53
I'll wager Paterson scores more goals than Austin this season whatever the club.
Neither may be at Burnley come the end of the season.

Fancy a "shut the f**k up" bet?

If I win then you spend 3 months off here. You win I spend 3 months off here.

Longsiders1882 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 11:37
I'm up for that bet as well

"A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."

05 August, 2011 11:37
This board's quiet enough as it is, can't you agree on a monetary bet?

(Sm1)

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 11:45
What if hclaret is proved right? It'll just be him posting, alone, forever.(Sm68)

05 August, 2011 11:55
Quote:
Jabberwocky
What if hclaret is proved right? It'll just be him posting, alone, forever.(Sm68)

(Sm81)

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
05 August, 2011 11:57
Woo-hoo!(Sm6)

05 August, 2011 16:26
If Pato has a good season we'll be able to sell him for £1m this time next year.

Contracts (Sm152)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net