football
Latest News:

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Re: With The Brassicas
colinwaldron (IP Logged)
24 April, 2011 15:43
Easter time is always a busy time for gardeners whether its early or late, so let me wish you alll a Happy Easter(Sm13)

I traditionaly sow seeds on Easter Sunday and today was no different; the already pot grown courgettes; peas and beans have gone in together with more sowings into the soil of peas; carrots; cabbage, sprouts; parsnips; radish; outdoor cucumber and the last of the onion setts(Sm14)

Tomorrow I intend to put the toms into the grow bags, along with some sweet peppers.

The 160 geraniums I got as small plug plants are racing away and it looks as the the cost of £9.99 for 160 could be a real bargin.

The garden is looking a treat now that I have finished repointing the patio and power hosing it down. The pink azalea is stunning and the red camelia has been magnificent; just going over now.

Lost a few of my winter pansies to the intense sunshine; but no matter as I reckon my geraniums and bizzie Lizzies should soon be ready to take their place.

The lawns looking a treat too and all that work in the autumn and spring weeding and feeding; scarifying and spiking is paying off.

So enjoy your Easter gardening; still time to sow something today; its bound to come up and may your brassicas be the best ever(Sm72)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
17 June, 2011 11:23
Bought some of these gadgets for my chillies and tomatoes. Well impressed with them so far, totally worth the cash and I can just leave my plants for ages without having to remember to water them. Keeps them perfectly watered and fed and te plant gives a bigger harvest.hot smiley

[www.greenhousesensation.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2011 11:24 by Jabberwocky.

pipindripin (IP Logged)
17 June, 2011 14:13
Got the toms in Colin but arn't doing as well as some years due to lack of sunshine, the caulis, leeks, onions, strawberries and rest of fruits are doing O.K. Do you think i've left it to late to plant beetroot confused smiley

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
18 June, 2011 11:16
Pip my toms are well away and are doing grand; I have grown them from seed(Alicante) and got them into the greenhouse in grow bags very early this year and protected them from frost and cold with horticultural fleece which I mentioned in earlier posts, as a result I have plenty of toms on the vine and its now just a question of waiting for them to ripen(Sm15)

On the question of whether its too late for Beetroot; I wouldn't have thought it was too late, but it will all depend on when the first frost will strike. Here in sentellens they come around mid October and Beetroot will take approximately 10 weeks from sowing to harvesting; so the latest time for me here to sow them would be the end of July. Although they will keep well; you want to be cropping them much in advance of that time period and sowing them now would give you a crop ready by the end of August; however if you have the space sow plenty and take them when they are smaller and you could probably start to harvest them by mid August(Sm13)

My onions are looking grandsmoking smiley and the carrots should be ready to take in a weeks time; also looking good are my garden peas which have loads of pods on; cabbage and sprouts will be thinned out this week and my courgettes are flowering too. The French Beans are probaly the only disapointment in the patch this year; whilst the Rooster seed potatoes have flowered and I will be taking them up next week.

So all in all everything is well in the vegetable patch, so get out there; get stuck in and may your brassicas be the best ever(Sm72)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2011 11:17 by colinwaldron.

pipindripin (IP Logged)
19 June, 2011 08:36
Beetroot now sown Colin but something that I've noticed is that the distance that you are above sea level makes one hell of a difference so I would expect us to be a couple of weeks behind Sentellens up here in the pennines. As an example I've got two gardens & two greenhouses but one is up the hill about 200 feet higher than the other one & with the same planting times & soil type it's very surprising what a difference such a short distance makes.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
20 June, 2011 20:26
Took a few carrots tonight for tea and right tasty they where too!

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

ozchippie (IP Logged)
21 June, 2011 09:23
I don't know about you guys, but the seasons here seem all to cock. It's the winter solstice today and my fig tree is still covered in green leaves, it should be as bald as me by now. The temp. is still low 20C just about every day, although we have finally had a bit of rain.
We've got a good crop of navel oranges ready (don't know if they are late or early), the loquat tree is covered in blossom,and the roses have new buds on them.
I'm going to plant some vegies at the weekend, just to see what happens

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 June, 2011 10:38
The seasons as we know them are knackered. It's rained here for almost two months solid.

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 June, 2011 10:52
And as I typed that the Heavens opened.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
21 June, 2011 11:00
A good potato crop then jabber(Sm14)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 June, 2011 11:44
Just me chillies and tomatoes this year. Honestly the Quadgrow I provided the link for a few posts up, it's incredible. If the plants continue to grow the way they are I won't know what to do with all the chillies.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
16 July, 2011 11:52
I have to report that one of the invading squirels was run down by a car whilst attempting to infiltrate my garden from where it lived in the Park opposite. Thats one down and one to go(Sm14)

On the veg patch all seems to be going really well the onions are looking massive and we have been taking the carrots regularly now for some weeks. The cabbage has been very tasty as Spring Greens and the courgettes have been good in the stir fry with the garden peas. The Leeks are also coming along nicely as are the Green Beans(Sm13)

In the greenhouse I have this morning taken the lower leaves off up to the first truss of the tomatoes and pinched out the tips to concentrate on filling out what looks like being a bumper crop of Toms! The peppers are also starting to swell out and I reckon some will be ready by the end of the month(Sm15)

In the garden my Giant Tree Lillies have opened with enormous blooms and my geraniums are also now in full flower; the recent rain has helped my lawns which were starting to look a little scortched with the sun.

Tomorrow I hope to start a further sowing of carrots ready for the winter and will be starting some potatoes in old compost bags, so get out there getting weeding before they turn to seed and may your brassicas be the best ever(Sm72)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2011 11:54 by colinwaldron.

aggi (IP Logged)
16 July, 2011 12:39
Any suggestions why I'm not getting any chillies yet? Planted some habanero and ring of fire around December time (they live indoors) and they've grown up at a decent rate, over a foot each now, and look healthy but not even any flowers yet.

More water, less water, something completely different?

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
16 July, 2011 13:11
Mine aren't doing great either, but that said they're in the shed and I know they aren't getting enough sunlight.

I never had any luck with habaneros, only ever got a few pods each season. Ring of fire always did OK for me though. Are there the beginnings of any flowers? Where did you get the seeds from?

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
16 July, 2011 16:07
aggi think you should have had some by now! Once you have potted them on they really need a weak general fertiliser feed once a week, to encourage flowers to form and then when the fruits start to form, feed with a liquid tomato fertiliser once a week for the rest of the season.

So I would try feeding them with a weak solution once a week and see if that promotes some flowers and may your brassicas be the best ever(Sm72)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

pipindripin (IP Logged)
17 July, 2011 19:45
Colin ended up with good results in the end this year, just everything is a bit later. the toms not to well for 20 years though

pipindripin (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 07:39
Just got the best cauliflowers i've ever grown the trouble is they all are ready at the same time. Still dont understand why the toms have done so bad this year

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 07:44
Grow bags, soil or ring cultivation pip? also what variety are they; mine are Alicante which I started very early from seed and they look like giving me one of my best crops ever.

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

pipindripin (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 08:11
Started them early Colin, Moneymakers & Ailsa Craig all grown as usual in the greenhouse beds which are 2ft deep & topped up each winter with manure, used grow bags & compost. I think its to do with having such a warm April then going back to being cold in May ? Everything else has done well though.

(Sm74)

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 08:58
Dont know what the plants look like when you say they have not done well, it may be that the beds need a good digging out, cleaning down with a weak solution of Jeyes Fluid(back end of the season) and fresh topsoil dug in; think you might have some soil bourne infestation which can build up from year after year growing the same crop in the same area. In the meantime I would take out any lower unhealthy leaves and try to get a feed into those toms that may have formed(have any formed?)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

pipindripin (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 09:15
They have formed, so Ive nipped the tops out & am feeding them well to try to get some sort of result. Its just that the plants aren't as vigorous this year for some reason or other. The soil gets sterilised each back end & I make sure that there is plenty of nutrients in the soil, that's why I am putting it down to the strange spring weather pattern, It was as though April & May swapped around this year. Suppose every year one crop or another doesn't do as well as hoped.

aggi (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 10:34
Cheers CW. Any brand better than others in your experience or is it all much of a muchness?

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
18 July, 2011 10:47
Chilli Focus.

[shop.ebay.ie]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2011 11:07 by Jabberwocky.

pipindripin (IP Logged)
24 August, 2011 12:27
Onions have done marvelous this year in fact many are nearly to big when there are only two of us. The tomatoes finally improved a bit since I made a tank of sheep muck & water to feed them with. Overall its not been a bad season despite the setback with the weather in May & June. The only big prob in the Garden really I suppose has been the pond.

smiling smiley

pipindripin (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:27
Have you planted ow't yet Colin ?

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 10:59
Sorry for the delay in replying pip, Iv'e been really busy trying to sort out all those jobs in the garden that you can't get to once stuff starts growing(Sm13)

Iv'e repainted all the walls white with masonary paint; repaired, replaced and stained all the wooden trellis; had weed and feed on the lawns and am now half way through scarifying them and boy is that back breaking work and gets harder each year as you get older(Sm14) When I have finished the scarifying i will put the spiker on the lawns; give them a good brush with a stiff brush, give them the second cut of the year and reseed any bare looking patches.

The trick to reseeding is to mix in approx 50/50 lawn seed with some fine multipurpose compost, scatter and leave the next cut until the seeds have germinated; give them a chance to get a good start!

Its Easter again and its earlier this year, so dont be fooled into thinking its time to be planting out any flower or veg seedlings that have been sitting in your greenhouse or windowsills..

The only exception to this is cabbage which I grew in seed trays and onion setts which I started off in individual pots; they have both gone into the veg patch and have been out for about 10 days now and are both doing very well(Sm13) I have my horticultural fleece which I cover them with if there is a frost warning, but now they are established I am confident the fleece will be sufficient.

I sowed in drills some carrots on Good Friday (always a good day to sow) and have under cover in the greenhouse courgettes and two varieties of toms (Alicante and Pomidor), Peppers, Dwarf French Beans; Sprouts; Peas; Leeks and Salad leaves are all through in the greenhouse in seed trays and under cover are doing really well(Sm13)

On the flower side I started off a load of Morning Glory which I collected last year from seed haeds and started those off 4 in small pots in early February; they are through and about 4 inches high, so they can go out in 3 weeks time and will give me another impressive climbers addition to my Giant Tree Lillies which have come through again in greater number, now being about 4 years old.

I took in the geranium plug plants agin from Jerseyplantsdirect, £9.99 for 160 and they are flying(Sm14) When I thinned them out I ended up with 280 and I have 6 different colours to mix and match this year, Orange, White, Pink, Salmon, Deep Rose and Red(Sm14)

I know people may not like it, but lets hope for a bit more rain, as the soil feels really dry and we need it if we are to have a good growing season.

So Happy easter, get out there when you can may your brassicas be the best ever(Sm72)
CW

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 11:13
Sometime this week, maybe next, I'm getting a 30' by 14' polytunnel installed and after that several 12' by 4' raised beds for veg and a few others for fruit bushes.

This is the year! Chillies and toms taking over the kitchen so it's all go!

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 11:54
Go on you jabber(Sm13) the way to go

Update on the scarifying; job stopped, handle on Tyne rake just snapped on me(Sm2) Time to buy a new I think; had that one since we moved in 1975(Sm13)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 12:50
How big is your garden Jabber... it must be enormous

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 12:58
Yeah, the house is on just under an acre; we're lucky. Loads of room for the kids to potter. We're out in the country, a lot of houses here have a fair bit of land too.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 08:31
New Lawn Rake acquired this morning from Wilkinson £4.98; job to be resumed soon(Sm14)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 16:46
http://i41.tinypic.com/6geek1.jpg

(Sm99)

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 17:18
thumbs down new spuds for Christmas; send me some(Sm13) looking goodthumbs down

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

Dave Thomas (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 19:11
Nice Jabber... I need something like that to keep all the crates of unsold books in

where are you ... looks a wild moorland place

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 19:17
We're mid-west Ireland - Strokestown, Co Roscommon. It's quite rural.(Sm1) The heavens opened as soon as they'd finished hence the ominous looking sky.

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 19:37
http://i43.tinypic.com/ifopw9.jpg

A nice pic I took a few years back. Loads of potential, but it's still basically a big-field.

pipindripin (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:52
Onion set have been out for a couple of weeks or so, just wish those pesky birds wold stop lifting them up though. The toms which we have grown from seed have now been put into the greenhouse beds & are doing really well. The rhubarb is sprouting well as are the fruit bushes. The only downside I suppose is that the grass will keep needing cutting now until the back end of the year.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net