football
Latest News:

Fleetwood Town
The Collector (IP Logged)
04 February, 2010 20:14
Got their planning permission for redevelopment & building of a new 2000 all seated stand, costing around 4 mill.

Looks decent for the Cod-Army.

http://www.fleetwoodtownfc.com/Gallery/200910/20091022%20drawings/images/visual1.jpg

.http://i11.tinypic.com/6t1cg47.jpg
I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Re: Fleetwood Town
colinwaldron (IP Logged)
04 February, 2010 20:29
TC who is paying the 4 million? seems a lot of money for a non league club to be coughing up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Turfite/colsig.jpg

"Say no to the car scrappage scheme"
Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion
Ex Cheltenham Naps Champion

04 February, 2010 21:08
Not too sure CW, but as you say it seems a lot for a non-league set up.
Presume the Council will be helping em as much as poss, but can't find any figures.

Their Chairman did say it's a good time to spend money, given that the price of concrete and steel is cheap atm.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
04 February, 2010 21:18
TC "the price of concrete and steel is cheap atm" hardly seems the basis of a business plan if you are attracting only around 1100 attendance every home match and the works cost 4 million?

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

04 February, 2010 21:26
The ground capacity will be 5000
They're hoping to do a Morecambe & get in the league. They've had 4 promotions in 6 years already & need another 2 I think.

Just found this from Aug 2007; The proposed scheme is likely to cost in excess of 2 million and the cost will be funded by a combination of grant funding and private investment

Gone up a bit eh & we all know what builders estimates are like (Sm109)

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

Slightly Dangerous (IP Logged)
05 February, 2010 09:54
Fleetwoods chairman has ploughed a lot of cash in to the club in the last couple of years. Attendance is around the 1000 mark and growing with the success the club is currently having. Mickey Mellon is doing a fantastic job with the team and their league position, top of the BSN, is no fluke. The pitchhas been relaid, new stands built and the fact that Fleetwood managed to get games on during the cold weather when the donkey lashers up the road failed is testament to the commtmnt of all at the club.

Just wish they would stop playing the Captain Pugwash theme for their goal music (Sm109)

GrimsbyClaret (IP Logged)
05 February, 2010 12:46
That looks a better stand than Paul Fletcher has planned for us.
Fleetwood is to near Blackpool to be a league club but hey so are stanley.

http://i18.tinypic.com/4ma0vf6.jpg

morty77 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2010 18:46
Why is fleetwood to near to Blackpool to be a league club??
If they were in Pools posistion now, Id bet they would have higher attendances (all things being equal)(Sm81)

Cheltenham Nap Champion 07/08
Cheltenham Nap Champion 09/10
Paddock Naps Champion 2013/14
WE DARED TO DREAM!
THEY SENT US KEAN!

05 February, 2010 20:17
I love that music. (Sm109)

video: [url]

[/url]

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

05 April, 2010 19:10
Fleetwood lost today & Southport go to the top.

Heady days these along the Fylde coast eh.

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

colinwaldron (IP Logged)
05 April, 2010 19:14
Southport; we played there once in a pre season friendly, brings back some memories Haig Avenue(Sm13)

Ex Aintree Naps Champion
Ex Naps Champion

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
27 April, 2010 20:51
Missed out on automatic promotion by one point to Southport.
Think they could still go up via a play-off ?

morty77 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 15:39
Workington could well be in the way.

WE DARED TO DREAM!
THEY SENT US KEAN!

lambie the leap (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 16:50
Fleetwood have rapidly become one of the most hated clubs in non-league football. I watch lots of BSN football and you don't hear a good word about them. Their arrogance is beyond belief and they upset a lot of people by their appeal against the points deduction following Farsley Celtic's demise. Leading up to the appeal they were full of how their chairman had bankrolled the finest legal team and were confident of success. Fortunately their appeal failed and they are now in the play-offs, much to the delight of Southport manager Liam Watson who launched an astonishing attack on them at the weekend. As Morty says - watch out for Workington, the best footballing side in BSN.

morty77 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 16:55
Said without a shred of bias Lambie(Sm6)

WE DARED TO DREAM!
THEY SENT US KEAN!

28 April, 2010 17:00
Absolutely Morty! 1st leg tonight, Alfreton at home. Come on!

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 17:42
What did Southport's manager say ?

Casper (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 20:46
2-0 down after the first leg (Sm17)

29 April, 2010 09:52
If Mellon's men needed any extra motivation for their play-off bid it was provided by Southport boss Liam Watson, who launched into an astonishing attack on their title rivals after sealing top spot with Saturday's win over Eastwood.

Watson was unhappy over Town's appeal against the Conference's decision to wipe Farsley Celtic's results from the league records a decision which enabled his team to clinch the title.

Watson said: "What they (Fleetwood) have done left a very bitter taste. Fleetwood have disrespected non-league and I hope they get smashed all over the place in the play-offs. I believe it (the appeal) was a smokescreen, a psychological game to get inside our heads ... but none of them at Fleetwood are bright enough to play games with me.

"Micky Mellon has not won a sausage and he has probably had the biggest budget this league has ever seen.

Taken from this week's Fleetwood Weekly News.

And Workington 0-1 down after their 1st Leg. (Sm136)

Fleetwood FC
Casper (IP Logged)
09 May, 2010 14:10
1-0 up into the second half of play off final!

Commentary

Re: Fleetwood FC
LightcliffeClaret (IP Logged)
09 May, 2010 14:12
Playing Alfreton ManHug.

(Sm1)

09 May, 2010 14:13
Ah, Micky Mellon's the boss there.

Casper (IP Logged)
09 May, 2010 14:37
Pen to Alfreton.

Scores - Andy Todd

1:1

10 May, 2010 11:07
Horrible club with horrible fans and an arrogant Chairman who has bankrolled them into the Conference. When he pulls his money out it will all go t*ts up. Their PA announcer never misses a chance for a dig at Burnley and I hope they go bust. Rant over.

Braindead (IP Logged)
10 May, 2010 12:49
Why would their PA Announcer give Burnley any digs? No connection aside from Mellon - and he was relatively well-liked here

http://i53.tinypic.com/23rqxe1.gif

MikeFTFC (IP Logged)
11 May, 2010 13:10
Hello Clarets,

I'm an FTFC fan and just wanted to give you a bit of background to what's being going on in the BSN especially given the ever so slightly biased view from LtL.

Firstly - apologies for Rod the PA man. He has a bit of an affinity for Blackpool and sometimes gets over-excited. More usually about PNE rather than Burnley TBH. Personally I'm happy to see any Lancashire club doing well - hopefully you'll be back in the Prem next year.

Andy Pilley (Chairman) stepped in when the club had been abandoned by the previous owner/chairman and was in danger of going TU. Some of us formed a fans committee & advertised for help in the local rag. AP stepped forward, initially just providing business advice & guidance. He caught the bug & began investing in the club, firstly with a new terrace behind the goal. He has indisputably put a lot of money into the club but it has developed into a truly well run & professional outfit. Vast amounts are being generated from the increasing gates, club bar, commercial activity, consumables etc etc etc.

With rapid growth we have attracted one or two numpties who gob-off before engaging brain but the same is true of any club. There are 99% of us who are just really enjoying seeing our small-town club doing really well.

The Southport situation was very frustrating for a number of reasons some of which probably shouldn't be aired on an open forum. Suffice it to say with more than 80% of games played Farsley's record was expunged & we lost 6 points having beaten them twice. SFC only managed one win against them having also played them twice. In almost exact precedents that FTFC cited to the FA the record wasn't expunged. As is typical with the FA it seems that the rules are applied on a somewhat inconsistent basis.

There was also the SFC match away to Stalybridge Celtic that was 0 - 0 after 83 minutes when the floodlights failed. SFC won the re-arranged match. I could be wrong but I thought that the result stood if a game had gone beyond a certain threshold.

Nevertheless, despite our understandable disappointment, FTFC posted a congrats on the club web site when SFC "won" the BSN league and personal messages were sent from Chairman and manager. SFC manager, Liam Watson, responded with an astonishing rant both in interviews and in the non-league paper, making personally offensive remarks about our manager and club. I also understand that he and his players sent offensive texts and left unpleasant voice-mails though, of course I cannot be sure that is the case.

You will note that there is no message on SFC's board congratulating us on winning the play-offs. I leave you to judge which club has behaved more honourably.

It's very sad really - we should be celebrating having two great Lancashire clubs in the Conference Prem. Hopefully the ill-feeling on both sides will fade away - when we stay up & they get relegated :-) ...

Good luck to the clarets next season.

11 May, 2010 13:37
Cheers Mike & Congratulations.

You're never gonna please everyone I suppose & tbh you're better off with promotion & ruffling a few feathers, than being liked by other clubs & staying where you were.

Strange decision re the abandoned game eh. (unless non-league rules are different)

I AM ARGUS
King of merge.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
11 May, 2010 18:06
Southport.....kin scousers anyroad.

Capt. Trump (IP Logged)
28 September, 2010 21:03
Top of the League tonight !!!!!

(Sm72)

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
16 April, 2011 20:41
New exec boxes opened today : [www.fleetwoodtownfc.com];

Looks like they've still a chance of going up (play-offs)

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
16 April, 2011 23:52
Rumours are that they are going to be allowed in Champions League next season.
Uefa have said if the mighty Alex Ray Harvey cannot get in the side then they must be good enough.

bordeauxclaret (IP Logged)
18 April, 2011 18:56
Fecking 'ell, I've been away three days and you still can't let it go, get a life you boring, little toe-rag.(Sm119)

BC
Prediction League Champion 2006/7
Fantasy League Winner 2007/8

vinnicombe (IP Logged)
18 April, 2011 19:30
Admit it was a laughably shite point you were trying to make and I will let you off with it.

18 April, 2011 19:34
OK then, anything for a quiet life, I give in.

BC

Casper (IP Logged)
25 April, 2011 16:22
Play offs
thumbs down

13 July, 2011 19:07
Neat little ground innit?

[www.fleetwoodtownfc.com]

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 19:21
Fleetwood turn down a £900k offer from West Ham for Jamie Vardy.

Thats staggering for a non league player. Is he really that good ?
And how can they turn down that kind of money!

Golazzo (IP Logged)
12 January, 2012 21:20
Wasnt just West Ham, another club had a offer turned down didn't they

http://i54.tinypic.com/2hge7uf.gif

12 January, 2012 21:51
Looks very much like they'll be playing just one division below t'nobbers next season.

And just two below us.(Sm16)

BC

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
13 January, 2012 18:01
I think it was Blackpool had a £500k bid turned down.

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
14 January, 2012 02:05
Concrete aint cheap at the moment neither is steel..............so he is factually talking bo*lacks....so it's back to the question, where is the money coming from ?

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 17:15
Could clinch promotion to the football league tonight.
Wish it was on telly, wouldnt mind watching this game.

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 18:18
Barely recognised Mickey Mellon! Bifffaaaaa!!!

aggi (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 18:43
There are some streams on-line Fred

http://imagegen.last.fm/longside3/recenttracks/mauwf79.gif

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 19:20
Ah, i cant be fussed with that carry on, they always freeze after a couple of mins.

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
01 December, 2012 19:52
Micky Mellon sacked after today's FA Cup defeat.

Not doing that bad though was he.

Jabberwocky (IP Logged)
01 December, 2012 19:54
Seems a touch harsh, eh?(Sm8)

fred dibnah (IP Logged)
06 December, 2012 18:31
Grezza gets the job : [www.fleetwoodtownfc.com]

06 December, 2012 21:46
Good luck to him, all seems very odd to me though. What makes them think Grezza can do a better job than Mellon ? Or have I missed something again, has Mellon been sacked for other than footballing reasons ?

BC

Brian O'Neil (IP Logged)
07 December, 2012 00:56
Sounds a bit fishy to me.................................................................................sorry bout that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net