football
Latest News:

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Raith game
25 March, 2018 18:36
Yet another formation as SF rings the changes , if not the ones many of us thought. Curious to see why Russell appeared to play wide left as Conroy was freed to support Carrick, as Brown and Watt provided cover and a link between defence and attack. It might have made some sense had we not conceded a stupid corner so early, and as usual defended it poorly. That gave Raith the edge and another daft corner let Thomson use his height to get a second. I could not see us coming back despite much good harrying from Carrick and Stewart. Felt sorry for Watt's first booking as Vaughan cheated at the bounced ball and most of the bookings apart from O'Neill were on the soft side-failing to foul by Raith players in many cases but their CB was lucky to avoid another for squaring up to Carrick. The early goal in second half was about all that Conroy did although we nearly conceded straight away with their break away-Furtado was a pest all day but Muir did well to faze him. Muir also took two really good corners later but I reserve any signing decision till later. Never really looked like getting equaliser and another ineffective appearance by Hastie as sub, and the bizarre arrival of Adam Brown produced no miracle. Watt was silly in his late challenge but yet again Raith scored two against us. I can't see them winning the title but they could win play offs. As for us a win at Hampden and two defeats for the Rovers leaves us safe!

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
26 March, 2018 09:12
Poor first half from us,a wee bit better second half but we still run around like headless chickens with the exception of a couple of players we could replace the lot and would be no worse of.worst defendersin the league .Raith are no t a good side but a lot better than us.we just can't match the Fife teams this season 2points out of 24 .not easy following Airdrie and it does not look it will improve under present lot.

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 14:03
Quote:
jetsky
Poor first half from us,a wee bit better second half but we still run around like headless chickens with the exception of a couple of players we could replace the lot and would be no worse of.worst defendersin the league .Raith are no t a good side but a lot better than us.we just can't match the Fife teams this season 2points out of 24 .not easy following Airdrie and it does not look it will improve under present lot.

Certainly quiet on the digital airwaves so maybe we need another crisis? Given that we have signed on Mcdonald/Conroy/Russell/Stewart/Carrick from the starting line up, and Cairns was on bench along with Edwards then I agree that many of the others will be gone for next season and we need to win at Hampden to save the season from a real disaster. You are right about our performances against Fife sides although we did play better against Raith ( and lose) than we did against East fife. Not looking forward to Arbroath either.

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 16:07
Yes we have played well against Raith the last game first half was all Airdrie did not take advantage ,second half let ourselves down again,It is frustrating just when you think we are starting to put something together our finishing and defending lets us down .The players we are signing does not fill me with any great hope ,just trying to be realistic because if players are not up to this league they must be bad.

Rusty2
Rusty2 (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 08:19
Well its no digrace to lose to a side at the top end of the league.
But like many I was bemused by the line up and formation. The names Cairns & Edwards were screaming out !! Conroy behind our one stiker & Russell lost out on the wing ???????

The coach certainly talks a good game ..but I think we still need to be convinced !

jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 09:14
Yes,got to agree Cairns will do a lot more graft than Conroy ,it's not as if Conroy is a Evan Balfour that makes tackles and gets the team going ,Edwards every day of the week in preference to McDonald .

Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 11:55
I tend to agree with Rusty. The manager talks a good game but so far nothing changes. We don't attack teams enough, we don't commit men into the box, we don't put crosses into the box, we don't score enough goals and we continue to concede a ridiculous number of goals at the back through basic errors week after week. Have we actually seen a team score a good goal against us this season? Nearly all are free headers, sclaffs, defensive errors and goalkeeper fumbles and it's becoming really tedious.

I had to watch the 'highlights' back, to confirm that we had 2 (that's right - 2) attempts at goal during 90 minutes playing at home. How can we attract the Airdrie public, and importantly kids, to come to watch this when in effect there is nothing to see.

To get out of this 3rd tier we need to win the league next season. Play-offs are a recipe for the usual disaster, so how are we going to finish above Raith, Ayr or Dumbarton (not to mention Brechin, Alloa or East Fife) miraculously with this team. We're heading towards our lowest league finish since before WW1 so we need a turnaround to end all turnarounds - with at least 6 new much better quality players (and a goalkeeper please - a proper 6'3" agile goalkeeper to keep the ball out the net).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net