football
Latest News:
 

Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Raith game
10 February, 2018 21:21
Football clich├ęs. It was a game of two halves . If we could have scored a second, then we could have got three. So, to have played so well and lead at half time has to be tempered with the fact of losing. Much improved I think in all departments and it was the Raith sub that saw them take control. Thought once they equalised with that deflection we never really got back at them. Certainly last few minutes backs to wall by them but they held out. Strange to say that I enjoyed it so hope we get set for QP next week.

 
Tory Boy
Tory Boy (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
11 February, 2018 11:52
Not often you can come away from a defeat and say you enjoyed it. Yesterday felt like a proper away day from days gone by.

 
Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
11 February, 2018 13:47
Quote:
Tory Boy
Not often you can come away from a defeat and say you enjoyed it. Yesterday felt like a proper away day from days gone by.
I need a win next week to compensate

 
Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
11 February, 2018 14:10
Almost identical to last week's Forfar game, but against better opposition. A very decent first half, making several chances and half chances, whilst restricting them to almost nothing at our end. We sat deep almost from the 2nd half kick-off inviting them onto us and as usual our 'keeper' was sitting on his ar5e at their 2 efforts at goal (certainly the first of which, a good keeper would have stopped). That cost us the game however we had 2 good penalty shouts when their players quite clearly handled in the last few minutes.

I thought our energy levels dropped in the 2nd half and the referee let them away with just about everything. We need to be sharper up front and get a proper goal keeper who can make saves when the opposition get through us.

I enjoyed the good old fashioned away day singing though (the opposition hated it) and couldn't believe the lack of segregation with everyone going in the same entrance (haven't seen that for 30 years). Yesterday was a 'must win' game and the play offs are looking a remote possibility now unless we fix the weaknesses.

 
cowboy
cowboy (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
12 February, 2018 05:48
Quote:
Dobba
Almost identical to last week's Forfar game, but against better opposition. A very decent first half, making several chances and half chances, whilst restricting them to almost nothing at our end. We sat deep almost from the 2nd half kick-off inviting them onto us and as usual our 'keeper' was sitting on his ar5e at their 2 efforts at goal (certainly the first of which, a good keeper would have stopped). That cost us the game however we had 2 good penalty shouts when their players quite clearly handled in the last few minutes.
I thought our energy levels dropped in the 2nd half and the referee let them away with just about everything. We need to be sharper up front and get a proper goal keeper who can make saves when the opposition get through us.

I enjoyed the good old fashioned away day singing though (the opposition hated it) and couldn't believe the lack of segregation with everyone going in the same entrance (haven't seen that for 30 years). Yesterday was a 'must win' game and the play offs are looking a remote possibility now unless we fix the weaknesses.

Can't see how anyone could hold goalie accountable for those goals First deflected off Edwards and over him and for the second Furtado got in a cut back, Carrick having lost the ball to easily in themiddle of the park a - not Ferguson;s fault - and McGregor had come off Vaughan who had a point blank tap in. Apart from a poor punch on the first half the goalie stopped anything else that Raith came up with. A draw would have been a fairer result overall

 
Chapelhall man
Chapelhall man (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
12 February, 2018 11:50
Quote:
cowboy
Quote:
Dobba
Almost identical to last week's Forfar game, but against better opposition. A very decent first half, making several chances and half chances, whilst restricting them to almost nothing at our end. We sat deep almost from the 2nd half kick-off inviting them onto us and as usual our 'keeper' was sitting on his ar5e at their 2 efforts at goal (certainly the first of which, a good keeper would have stopped). That cost us the game however we had 2 good penalty shouts when their players quite clearly handled in the last few minutes.
I thought our energy levels dropped in the 2nd half and the referee let them away with just about everything. We need to be sharper up front and get a proper goal keeper who can make saves when the opposition get through us.

I enjoyed the good old fashioned away day singing though (the opposition hated it) and couldn't believe the lack of segregation with everyone going in the same entrance (haven't seen that for 30 years). Yesterday was a 'must win' game and the play offs are looking a remote possibility now unless we fix the weaknesses.

Can't see how anyone could hold goalie accountable for those goals First deflected off Edwards and over him and for the second Furtado got in a cut back, Carrick having lost the ball to easily in themiddle of the park a - not Ferguson;s fault - and McGregor had come off Vaughan who had a point blank tap in. Apart from a poor punch on the first half the goalie stopped anything else that Raith came up with. A draw would have been a fairer result overall
I agree with lots of points made by both but I don't blame the keeper for once this time.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 11:52 by Chapelhall man.

 
Tory Boy
Tory Boy (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
12 February, 2018 13:51
I'm not the keepers biggest fan but I can't see how you can blame him for Saturday.

That said if Willie Muir has been signed with the view of him being our first choice keeper next season we'd be better giving him game time now rather than a loanee?

 
Dobba
Dobba (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
12 February, 2018 17:20
My point regarding Ferguson is that goalkeepers are there to save shots and save points and 9 times out of 10 he does neither. I accept that Carrick was dispossessed too easily in the centre of the park, which allowed them to advance towards our goal however that's football. We can't keep the ball away from the goalkeeper all the time. Indeed remarkably, on a few occasions we actually have managed to do just that and as a result we got the win.

Sometimes teams need their keeper to pull off the save (or saves) which keeps the team in the game. For example, we had solid control of the game against Raith first half but their keeper pulled off at least 3 great saves to keep them in touch with us at half time. The Forfar keeper did likewise against us the previous week with even better saves. The fact is that if Ferguson had stayed on his feet, the first deflected shot would have hit him on the chest and we would have walked away with at least a point.

The defence is jittery and don't trust him because they know everything played towards goal will probably end up in the back of the net. Our fans are jittery too. The defenders have to modify their game to keep the ball away from him and the effect ripples through the entire team. There's a sharp intake of breath every time the ball goes near him because you never know what he's going to do. Look at that goal against Stranraer recently - I've never seen an Airdrie keeper lose a goal like that - ever. It's just not good enough. Rant over.

 
jetsky
jetsky (IP Logged)

Re: Raith game
12 February, 2018 18:41
Quote:
Dobba
My point regarding Ferguson is that goalkeepers are there to save shots and save points and 9 times out of 10 he does neither. I accept that Carrick was dispossessed too easily in the centre of the park, which allowed them to advance towards our goal however that's football. We can't keep the ball away from the goalkeeper all the time. Indeed remarkably, on a few occasions we actually have managed to do just that and as a result we got the win.
Sometimes teams need their keeper to pull off the save (or saves) which keeps the team in the game. For example, we had solid control of the game against Raith first half but their keeper pulled off at least 3 great saves to keep them in touch with us at half time. The Forfar keeper did likewise against us the previous week with even better saves. The fact is that if Ferguson had stayed on his feet, the first deflected shot would have hit him on the chest and we would have walked away with at least a point.
Sad to say but rant 100% what was he doing when he tried to punch the ball earlier in game almost cost a goal then.
The defence is jittery and don't trust him because they know everything played towards goal will probably end up in the back of the net. Our fans are jittery too. The defenders have to modify their game to keep the ball away from him and the effect ripples through the entire team. There's a sharp intake of breath every time the ball goes near him because you never know what he's going to do. Look at that goal against Stranraer recently - I've never seen an Airdrie keeper lose a goal like that - ever. It's just not good enough. Rant over.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?